Lunch ideas on fasting days when you have to take lunch to work…

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Lunch ideas on fasting days when you have to take lunch to work…

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  WhiskyWoo 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hello everyone can you recommend some good lunchtime receipes so i can take a low calorie meal to work to have a lunchtime ? Missing the main meal seems to work for me….

I have a protein pot. A good handful of spinach (20cals ish) and a boiled egg (79 cals ish) and have this at work before going to the gym and it keeps me going!

L15AJT, soup is always a good option.

Minestrone Soup: PB GF [if you use GF pasta] V 1 cup =145.5 calories 3 g fat 5.3 g fiber 8 g protein 27 g carbs 86.4 mg Calcium 1/2 cup = 73 calories 1.5 g fat 2.6 g fiber 4 g protein 14 g carbs 43.2 mg Calcium 1 tsp olive oil 1 cup onion, chopped 2/3 cup carrot, chopped ½ cup celery, chopped 2 cloves garlic, chopped 3 slices pepperoni, chopped ½ cup sweet potato, cubed ½ cup zucchini, diced ½ cup mushrooms, chopped 2 cups crushed tomatoes ¾ cup small white beans, drained and rinsed if canned lots of sage and rosemary, chopped 1 cups water + 2 cups chicken broth/stock, low sodium 1 oz pasta, all or some of it could be whole wheat if you are boosting fiber [orzo, dinetelli, broken spaghetti] 2 tsp Parmasan cheese, grated salt and pepper to taste
    Put the olive oil, onion, carrot, celery, garlic and pepperoni into a sauce pan together and cook over medium heat until onions begin to wilt. Add the sweet potato, zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, white beans, herbs, and water. Cook at a simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the pasta and cook until it is soft. Add remaining seasonings.
    HINT: One serving is one cup, but you could go to 1 and ¼ cups each. This recipe made 4 cups for me – several future meals from one prep!

Chili non Carne: PB GF V The recipe is my mother’s, except that she added beef. And she served it on a heap of mashed potatoes, but we won’t do that on a Fast Day.
    1 cup =133 calories 0.7 g fat 6.3 g fiber 7.1 g protein 9.8 g carbs 70 mg Ca
    1.5 c. =199 calories 1.1 g fat 9.1 g fiber 9.4 g protein 14.2 g carb 120 mg Ca
    HINT: This is enough for 4 one-cup servings OR two 1.5 cup servings with 1 cup left over. Save the remaining chili for a lunch or check other postings to see how we use it for breakfast.
    For 1.5 cups chili served with cheese garnish and melon, as in photo: 276 calories 9.7 g fat 6.1 g fiber 13.3 g protein 19.4 g carbs 227 mg Calcium
    15 oz canned red beans, drained and rinsed 16 oz canned tomatoes – in chunks or diced, not drained 1 cup chopped onion 1 green pepper, chopped 2-3 tsp chili pepper, or more if you like it hotter ½ – 1 tsp ground cumin per serving: 1 Tbsp cheddar cheese, grated, as a garnish 2 oz melon
    Saute the onion and green pepper in some of the tomato juices until tender. Add remaining ingredients and cook gently until the stew is thickened. Taste to see if it needs more seasoning. Serve one or one and a half cups for dinner tonight with the grated cheese on top, and melon on the side.

Chickpea Ragout: PB GF V makes ~4 cups entire batch has 484 calories, so divide into parts
    divided in 2: 242 calories 4.8 g fat 10.7 g fiber 11.7 g protein 40.3 g carbs 51.3 mg Calcium
    divided in 3: 161 calories 3.8 g fat 7.5 g fiber 8.6 g protein 30.2 g carbs 37.1 mg Calcium
    divided in 4: 121 calories 2.8 g fat 5.3 g fiber 5.8 g protein 20 g carbs 26 mg Calcium
    ½ tsp olive oil ½ cup diced onions ½ cup scallions, chopped 1 Tbsp garlic 2 cups diced tomatoes, fresh or canned and drained 1 and ½ cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed if canned ½ cup chicken stock ½ tsp salt ½ tsp pepper
    Heat the oil in a saute pan. Add the onion, scallion and garlic. Stir briefly over the heat then add the tomatoes, chickpeas, salt, and pepper. Cook over low heat until liquids are mostly evaporated. If using now, separate out your portion and keep warm. Cool the remaining ragout and freeze it in serving portions. When serving, this may be topped with 1/4-1/2 oz mozzerella cheese for 25-50 more calories + more protein.
    This is from Jacques Pepin’s “Fast Food My Way”

I usually just pop to the shops and buy a couple of boiled eggs with spinach *garnish*. Or hummous and carrot sticks. It’s only 2 days so doesn’t get boring.

If I could get my act together I could take these things with me instead of buying them. But I also prefer to go out and buy my lunch because it gets me out of the office for a walk for half an hour.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.