Just Starting

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  jodies 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Hi
    This is my second fast day, the first attempt was not a success, but the next try was! Kept my calorie intake to about 280, and didn’t die! It is now lunchtime, and still going ok. I thought I would loosely follow weight watchers on the 5 days, just to make it a bit easier to keep control.Is that a sensible choice? I couldn’t resist getting on the scales this morning, & down 1.9kg in 5 days (very encouraging) and that is with quite a few non-successes. Hope it keeps going. As long as my family doesn’t try to feed me, it feels like I might be able to manage this.

Why is your calorie intake so low? It should be about 450 to 500 on fast days.

I think just very eager to get started, and then when it was dinner time, I was happy with the little meal i had. I was very surprised. I think to day will be different, a little more organised, and some better choices in the house. But thanks for the welcome.

Hi Jodies, good to hear that your first fast days went well. Have you checked out your TDEE? It might be wise to check it out so that you know how many calories you can eat on non-fast days and reduce it accordingly. 5:2 is definitely not the fastest approach to weight loss but a slower loss will result in a more permanent result. I suppose following WW point system is fine if you feel safer with that, though the idea is to get away from that kind of regime. Good luck 🙂

Oh, for sure. I do not want to be stuck with a regime, but just for the start, cause I can be a bit of a glutton. Hopefully, after a few weeks of IF, I will be like some others on the forum who just eat like a normal person. That sounds fab! I did check my TDEE, but, I’ll have to check again and make sure I’ve got it right.Thanks for your comments.

Hi this is also my first fast day. I have a little bit of anxiety. I tried to start last week. Previous meal was 7 p.m. I was able to walk for 30 minutes felt great! The morning was good I ate about 11:30 am a boiled egg a medium tomato. By 3:30 I felt so tired and weak. so I ate then evening came and I felt the same way. So I ate again. I have started again. This time I’m eating breakfast at 8:30 am to see if this will keep me from feeling so weak, I plan to do my regular exercise, activities I will post how it goes Good Luck to you. Joanne

Hi. You asked about WW the other 5 days. In August, before I embarked on this new lifestyle, I asked my doctor if he would give his approval to me doing it (the Fast lifestyle). He wholeheartedly agreed and also said he would recommend I do WW the other 5 days a week.

I decided to do an experiment. I fasted for 2 days the first week and ate whatever I wanted the other 5 days. Then I went to WW and got weighed. I had lost 4 pounds! The previous week (on WW only), I had gained .2/lb even though I followed WW to the letter and exercised and did everything by the book. The leader had the gall to tell me I hadn’t lost weight because of my exercising, which was a crock of you-know-what.

I quit WW on the spot. This is what I am doing now. I am tired of giving WW $43 a month for them to tell me bogus things and for me to not lose weight. This way of life is so much easier and requires so much less of your money, effort, and thought.

So, I just wanted to tell you that although my doctor wanted me to stay on WW for the other 5 days, I discarded his advice and have just stuck with this.

P.S. For those of you just starting and feeling weak and lightheaded–please know that it does go away with time. I suffered at first quite a bit from those feelings, but now am unfazed about going 24 hours without consuming any calories at all. I’ve been doing this for a month now, and have 11 fasts under my (shrinking) belt!

melinda

Hi Everyone, thanks for your comments. So nice to not feel isolated. Haven’t lived here long, so haven’t created a circle of friends yet. I also had a poor experience with a ww leader, but, mostly, I need to learn not to eat so much, funny that!! Anyway, still going ok. Have family staying, so trying my best to be reasonable and still make IF work for me. Next weigh day will tell. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

Hi jodies, hope you have a great time with family. Maybe you can shuffle your fasting days to suit. I always move fasting days if I can get a better offer:)
    I too tried ww (but only online) and had minimal success for a short time. This is purely personal but I got worn out by the constant ‘striving’ Tick boxes, count everything, weight everything up. Exhausting! (for me only!)

Again on a personal level I was surprised to find after a month or so that my appetite started to modified itself- I now find myself questioning ‘do I want that now?’ and even more surprisingly finding I can just say ‘no, I don’t feel like it just now’- was never in my repartee before! I’m amazed that when nothing’s not off limit you are less likely to bother with it anyway.

Hi I am relatively new to 5:2 three weeks in and have not lost any weight. I am not new to trying to lose weight so I can say even if u don’t do WW I think on your 5 days to lose u should follow some eating plan. Mine is high protien low carbs. That works for me. I have lost 75 pounds on that eating plan. However I have hit a stall in weight loss for almost a year. Now the 5:2 plan helps me stay focused and in control. I am sticking with it and hoping for the sucess I see others have had. Good luck on your journey. We are all in it together

Hi redflame625
    I have just finished my second week, with 3 successful fast days, and one good try at the start. I have lost just over 8lbs/3.8kgs. I am still a little, make that a lot, disbelieving of how much easier it is to manage 1 day, instead of 1 week, with 1 day to feast/cheat/relax like how I used to on WW. And I finally told my partner what I was doing, after I had some success, and hopefully he will stop trying to feed me!!
    I have been keeping a diary of mostly everything I do, food & exercise wise, but have only been counting calories on the fast days. I figure this will leave me room to toughen up if I hit a wall.
    Hope you are having joy with IF.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.