Just starting

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Slim2fitit 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Hi, I’m just coming to the end of my first days fasting and I am surprised that it has been so easy. I hope it continues this way. Ive spent my whole life dieting, when really I didnt need to, Twiggy had a lot to answer for, giving my age away! In the last decade I have been battling an under active thyroid and the weight just kept piling on, I think I had so much to lose that it seemed impossible but having read the book I now feel hopeful.

Welcome to the 5:2 forums @slim2fitit . Sounds like we may be the same age. Pop over to the August challenge where you’ll find lots of support and friendly 5:2ers.

I’m 67. I have popped over and joined you on the August challenge.

Welcome Slim2fitit! I’m 68 and have been doing 5:2 for almost 14 weeks. I’ve lost 14 pounds so far but have been on an almost 3 week plateau, mostly because of not eating mindfully on NFD. (Non-fast days) But love the plan and will stick with it long term.

That’s good to know. I’m hoping this will work with my under active thyroid as I haven’t had much luck with other diets.

@slim2fitit. I have a theory about underactive thyroid conditions that’s a bit like the chicken and the egg situation, what came first? Does a thyroid problem cause you to be overweight, or does being overweight cause you to have a thyroid problem. My theory is that for overweight people, your thyroid is doing exactly what its supposed to do. Lowering your metabolic rate because your liver is unable to access stored fat reserves. Why? Probably because your insulin levels are to high. If you avoid sugar and processed grain based products I suspect you will lose weight and 6-12 months from now your thyroid function will have improved. Give 5:2 a go and see what happens.

I actually put on the 3 stone when I started taking the thyroxine, gradually over 3-4 years so that might help or hinder your theory process, LOL. I have been following a gluten, dairy and sugar free diet but I am hoping the 2 days fasting will actually help cut my portion sizes down as I seem to have been permantly hungry since I first started taking the thyroxine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.