Just Started

This topic contains 29 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Lottie381 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

• Good Evening All, just started today, first fasting day – went well, had porridge for breakfast and just cooked a very nice prawn stir fry with just soy sauce to flavour. I’ve tried all sorts of diets, WW and Slimming World but always seemed to put it back on, and more. I bought the book on Friday and by Saturday morning was determined to do it and do it well!! I’m a working mum of 3 growing boys. At only 5’1″ and 11st 6lb – something has to be done. I unfortunately like my food too much to restrict my diet to the extent of the other diets so I’m hoping this one will be the one. I’m going to try and be good on my non fasting days but at least I can still have my only pleasure – a packet of crisps – without feeling guilty! My TDE is 1500 cals – should I be eating less than this to aid the losing weight? Good luck to all doing it – a friend of mine lost 3st in 5 months so I’m hoping to emulate her success x

@lottie381

welcome to 5:2 – it sounds like you’ve got everything under control. Firstly are you sure you’re TDEE is correct? I am 5’1″ and 11 stone at the moment and probably older and my TDEE 1585 so I’m surprised how low yours is. Your TDEE reduces as you lose weight so needs to be recalculated as you go down.

Ideally you should eat ABOVE your BMR and UP TO your TDEE on non fast days. this along with eating up to 500 cals on fast days should see a loss in weight.

I too have done the WW; SW; Rosemary Conley; Scottish Slimmers; Dukan; Atkins…you name it I’ve done it at some time. Whilst most of them work I didn’t find any really sustainable and besides which they get expensive and there are far too many ‘rules’.

5:2 is FREE and easy to do once you get the hang of it. Beyond remembering to keep within the daily counts – there are no rules. It’s all about trying things and making it all fit round your life style. It has to work best for you not the other way round.

Good luck – you’ll find lots of help and support here.

xx

Hi Sylvestra, by BMR is 1303 and my TDEE is 1564, I may be older than you think! I was looking forward to starting the diet and fasting today and I must admit, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. Might go to bed early though so breakfast comes round quicker.

I would like to lose around 2.5 stone and this is the first diet where I actually feel it’s achievable. Thanks for the good wishes, glad it’s non fast tomorrow, it’s my son’s birthday x

Hi Lottie …I think it is sometimes the idea of fasting that puts people off. I’ve heard comments like ‘I couldn’t survive on that’ and ‘I’d be starving’ – they can’t grasp the concept that it’s only for one day at a time.

I’m glad your first fast day went well. I was fasting today too and after trying a few different ways I’ve settled on – dinner at around 6pm last night then nothing except water with a slice of lemon and black coffee until dinner tonight. I’ve just had a huge bowl of home made lentil soup and a mini pitta bread with low fat hummus and salad which I really enjoyed.

I reached this way of doing it after trying first 3 small meals, then breakfast and dinner, then lunch and dinner but I found that when I started to eat I was hungry between meals. Now if I don’t eat till evening I’m fine.

That’s the beauty of this way of eating – I don’t consider it a ‘diet’ as I feel I can sustain this indefinitelt even after I reach my final goal weight, whenever that might be!

You’ll find there is a huge range of ages on these forums – from young ‘uns to ‘Ladies of a Certain Age’. Even in the latter category there is probably the best part of 30 odd years in range, some in their 40s and some of us who will never see 60 again – but all still 21 in our heads!! πŸ˜€ This WOE is definitely for everyone!
    xx

Hi Just started the 5:2 fast diet today. need to lose weight. border line diabetic and classed as obese.I am 63yrs old
    So far doing ok. Had scrambled egg and ham for breakfast and about to have chicken salad at 8pm.
    I do miss tea and coffee. cant get my taste buds to accept it without milk.
    Drinking herbal tea and water but looking fwd to coffee tomorrow AM.
    My aim is to make this first day of a healthier life.Hope I have not left it to late.

Hi and welcome Lottie and Cleopatra! (Love those names!!)

Good luckmon your journey to both of you, this is the easiest way of eating and life and i am sure you will soon think the same!

Happy fasting and keep posting πŸ™‚

Hi there,
    I’ve just started today too. Not found it too bad. Excited to see the results. Have friends who’ve lost a lot so feeling hopeful.
    I just read this and wondered what BMR and TDEE are? I have read most if the book but maybe missed something?

Thanks and good luck

Hi Hedger27 and welcome too!

Glad you found your first fast ok, thats a great start, BMR and TDEE , well i wont go into lenghty explanations lol but if you have a look under the “how?” Section top of the page there is a tool that will calculate these for you πŸ™‚

Good luck and happy fasting πŸ™‚

I too have just started today and found it quite easy I’m going to see how Wednesday goes and maybe try Friday as well just as a good kick start for me. Good luck everyone. Josie

Hi all. Just started too! First FD nearly over but I’m feeling munchy. Think I’ll skip breakfast and have an evening nibble on Thursday!
    Lottie, like you, I am a bit fond of the old crisps. Have also tried Ww, Dukan (WHY!!!???) etc; I always lose weight and feel very positive, then something goes wrong and that’s it! All back on, and a bit more. I am hoping that the 5:2 will stop the feelings of deprivation that cause other diets, and me, to go pear-shaped!
    Starting at 12stone (NO idea how that happened) and 5’3″. Hoping for 9 stone 10, and 5’8″!!!!

Good luck all.

I think the 5:2 will stop the cravings as we can still have them on non-fast days, within reason obviously. That’s why I’ve always failed before I think, too restrictive. Here’s to a good weight loss this week and every other week after x

Ok thanks for that. Just worked them out but which should I be sticking to for my non fast days? Sorry it’s been a long day!! My BMR is 1760 and my TDEE is 2113!

Thanks

Sylvestra posted earlier on the thread to eat more that your BMR but up to your TDEE and you should see a weight loss x

Thanks x

@cleopatra @hedger27 @josie40 @tubbycustard – welcome to 5:2

You’ll find lots of help and support on these forums and reading the ‘how’ and ‘faq’ links at the top of the page will give you information on BMR and TDEE …and why you need to know!! …as well answering some of the questions you may have.

Anything else you need to know just ask…there is always someone who’ll be happy to answer you.

5:2 – apart from keeping within the suggested calories there are no rules; no ‘dos’ and ‘don’ts’; no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way; it’s all about making this work for you. It’s not a diet – it’s a new way of eating. Enjoy

xx

Good luck with achieving the 5’8″ Tubby custard. πŸ˜€

One can dream!

@tubbycustard …I’ve always said I’m not overweight I’m undertall πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Hi I am just starting my 3rd week. The first week was great and I lost 2.5lbs, the 2nd week weigh in this morning lost nothing.

My bmr was 1365 and TDEE was 1865 so on my non fasting days I have been doing about 1450. I have exercised 4 times a week.

Has anyone any idea as to why no weight loss this week?

Thanks

All I can say to all who just started, it does get easier. I started on April 8, 2013. I have lost over 50 pounds. My wife started the week of April 22, 2013 and she has lost over 40 pounds. Our fast days have become the new normal. I will achieve my weight goal probably by March. My wife will reach her weight goal by November of this year if not sooner. Our metabolic data is substantially improved and our doctors are considering taking us off of our blood pressure medication probably some time later this year. It has been an amazing transformation!

@sfrain sorry you’re disappointed this week but this does happen. It can take a few weeks for weight loss to kick in properly. Did you measure yourself when you started? Sometimes although the weight isn’t moving you find that the inches have.

Are you taking any medication that can interfere with your weight loss? If you are, have a word with your doc. If not try not to get too disheartened and try to stick with it. It does get easier and you will see results…you’re doing everything to get there.

xxx

Hi all,

How goes it? I’m hoping that someone will tell me it gets easier! I’ve done two fast days now, really hungry on both and thinking about food constantly. Also freezing cold and really tired, to the point of falling asleep! At least I wasn’t thinking about food when I was conked out! I also feel like I’ve got a mega hangover today, having fasted yesterday.

So, I think I need to try eating later, and presumably drinking more ( and less coffee!)

I have lost two pounds, but tbh I usually drop two pounds during the week anyway, only for it to go back on over the weekend! And I’m going for a curry tonight. I REALLY want this diet to work for me, so I’m hoping things will get better.

Xx

Hi Tubbycustard

keep at it, it takes time and its a slow process, have faith!!

good luck and enjoy your curry tonight πŸ™‚

Thank you!

Just a quick update, been doing 5:2 now for almost 2 weeks and already 6lb down! Really pleased with how well it’s going and how easy it is to do. I find that I eat less on my non fast days that I would have normally done. Clothes fit a bit better although I haven’t seen a reduction in my waist size, weird of what?

Will keep going though, another 21lbs to go and I’ll be happy!

Lottie x

Oooh, lovely to hear there’s so many in the same boat as me! I started on Monday, so I’ve done two fast days, and OK so far – amazingly don’t feel the need to compensate on the non fast days.
    My motivation is a really nice one – my daughter is getting married in August, so I have a target in sight, plus my overweight 26 year old son and my husband are joining me, and we are all supporting each other.
    I am 5ft 8, 51 and almost 15 stone – the weight has crept on over the years – and have never been on a diet as such, so I’m hoping to make this one count. I’ve read about a lot and had friends that have done every one going, including a friend who is doing well on Slimming World…but she has done so repeatedly before and has always put it back on. The Fast Diet seems to me to be the most sensible and sustainable – so I hope I’m right!
    Looking forward to hearing about the progress of my fellow new starters, and supporting each other

Hi all, started 5:2 this week Monday and have had 2 fast days thusfar. I’m looking to lose about 5kg and to improve my trail running and swimming. Would like to see this more as a lifestyle eating plan than a weight loss programme. My biggest obstacle has been ‘forgetting’ that I’m fasting and finding something yummy approaching my mouth before I notice! Guess it will become more natural? Good luck other beginners!

Hi all,

You’re doing well Lottie! I weighed in at 7lbs down today, after four fast days, but know ill prob put a couple of those back on over the weekend, as four were virtually overnight! Still, it has given me a real boost and the motivation to carry on, even though I’m finding the fast days really hard going, especially if I’m at home.

I’m def better if I can wait until later to eat, and my little helpers have been sugar free squash made into a hot drink (something very comforting about that, think it brings me back to my childhood Ribena) and hartleys sugar free jelly pots, def worth the money as the flavours are bit more special than ordinary jelly.

Anyone else got any handy hints?

TC x

Hi,

54 male BMI 29, 94kg, used to be 66kg when I moved to Australia in 1986, the land of beer and pies.

Started 3 weeks ago with 5:2 and lost 4.7kg doing zero exercise – cannot believe how simple this is.

The only thing I do different from the fast recipe is that I do not eat on my fast days at all until dinner and then 1/2 of fast intake (ie 1/8 of normal daily equal 300cal.)

Will start 3min/week fast exercise today, my goal is to be under 80kg again.

Thank you Dr Mosely!

Walter

HI All, well done everyone. Walter, it is simple to do, I don’t eat at all on my fast days either until dinner and like you, don’t always have my 500 cals, I’ve done 4 fast days now and have lost 6lbs.

I’ll report in again next week.

Lottie x

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply.