Its a brand new world

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Lorneybee 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Just starting and opening my eyes to the 5:2 diet world. Having been diagnosed with 2 Diabetes but no on meds yet – I am determined to turn things around. Fed up going to diet clubs that only look at scales – as I love working out I found these slimming clubs were getting in my head and I even changed my workouts to less weights as I was sick of maintaining and then would end up on a food binge through depression as they would treat me like I did something wrong – even though inches being lost. So enough this N Irish chick has stepped up- planned my 2 IF days – now I actually cant wait to tomorrow to start – will update when I get through it – I am aiming at 600 cals on IF and 2000 on non fast days – fingers crossed and mind over matter and “I will keep saying I can do this”

Cheers and all power to you! Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your first 5:2 fast day!

Thanks x

Welcome, Lorneybee! It’s absolutely do-able. I was in the same place a year ago, with a diagnosis of Type 2 and a determination to change. Now my blood sugar levels are normal, without any medication, through diet alone. And I’ve never felt better.

Good luck to you on your new journey. There’s plenty of support here, so check out some threads and join in!

Thank you for your kind words. So far not on meds but fighting it – last night was my first day – only downside was pains that I now know where due to trapped wind – the recipes I am using are high fibre – today is second fast day as again this is my other busy day in week – and I am feeling more alert this morning. Wish I had tried this years ago – would have saved me a fortune lol x

@lorneybee – 5:2 isn’t hard, however I’m not sure it will be enough to quickly turn around T2D. Fasting can be a big step and I do find it very beneficial. Still you might want to look into using a low carb diet with the fasting. A good resource is Dr. Jason Fung’s blogs and books as he is really into using fasting and low carb approaches to reverse T2D. https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/ I think there is also a consulting service to help find a local doctor that can work with you on using diet to beat metabolic disease.

I’ve been using 5:2 for six months now and I don’t eat anything on fasting days, but that is just easier for me. I have a strong dawn effect with my blood glucose and I’m just starting to see that improve a bit, although it is hard to tell. However I’ve lost about 7 kg of fat so that is great.

I don’t eat low carb as I live in Japan and low carb is a bit going too much against the flow here. However I do restrict my carbs and often ask for less rice, etc.. That is acceptable and even expected if you are trying to lose weight. Not that most Japanese have much of a weight problem even though they eat obscene amounts of carbs. It is pretty easy to avoid refined added sugar in Japan and that probably helps more than anything.

I sincerely wish you the best luck on staying off of medication! Happy fasting! Also you can join the April challenge, a great challenge is just getting started on 5:2. People are very supportive.

@lolly_ – I stand corrected, you are much an expert than me. Congratulations on turning around your T2D with 5:2.

Actually, dykask, no correction necessary as you are quite right — my 5:2 plan is combined with LCHF and that is what’s reversed the diabetes for me. I’m a huge fan of Dr. Fung and I do recommend checking out his youtube videos for a lucid breakdown of the effects of sugar and reversing diabetes. To manage diabetes with diet alone, low carb eating is essential, but this change can be a bit overwhelming to newcomers at first on top of fasting!

Lorneybee, I also wish I’d understood this years ago! But the good news is, we have excellent resources now and a lot more support to get where we need to be. If you are new to the concept of LCHF (low carb/high fat) I can recommend dietdoctor.com as a source of quality info and recipes.

5:2 is the framework, but everyone finds the right food plan to use within it. Keep researching, experimenting, and listening to your body, and you’ll certainly find what works for you.

Happy fasting!

Thank you for the tips and kind words x

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.