It Even Beats a Lapband!! (Paul's Story)

This topic contains 34 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  ali43 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

• Hi everybody, My name is Paul and I have had a lifelong battle with weight, but 10 years ago it all went downhill (uphill on the scales!). Ever since I turned 30 I have been up and down, but 10 years ago I was 80kgs and running 40kms a week, life was great. I got married and stopped eating healthily, stopped running and anything else for that matter.

Since then I have slowly but surely ‘piled it on’ and quite drastically had a lapband in 2008, which I have found to be absolute rubbish, ‘if I had the willpower needed after surgery………I wouldn’t have needed the surgery!!!’.

And here I am, 55 years old and moderately obese………..then along came Michael’s TV program and being the same age, it just seemed to click. I have gone from 106.8kgs to 104.4kgs in my first week, have had NO trouble sticking to it and AT LAST, there’s light on the horizon.

The secret I have found, is to remember that this is for today only (until next fast day of course) and I can eat normally tomorrow, it is a mental battle that I am able to control, which people can’t (including myself) if it’s a daily rigorous routine of willpower and subliminal voices telling me that “it’ll be ok, I’ll just start again tomorrow”. Tomorrow NEVER comes!!.

Thanks for the inspiration Michael and thanks to the team, one week doesn’t make everything ok and I’m still a helluva long way off from where I need to be, but I know that I am on the right path.

Good luck everybody

Good for you Paul! I’m a few weeks in and although I don’t regularly weigh myself, can see that it’s coming off. Your post struck a chord as I too used to be a regular runner. I’ve found it very hard of late as I’ve had problems with feet and ankles no doubt exacerbated by carrying extra weight. Hoping that shedding a couple of stones will mean I can return to the great outdoors more comfortably.

Good luck with your fasts. I’m sure you’ll find this forum very supportive.

Ali

Thanks Ali

I hope it’s going well for you as well. I have been walking (bush walking) and cycling, but I was losing absolutely nothing and my fat content remained horrendous!!

This is making a difference to both areas AND I feel great, full of energy and possibly a bit too happy for the people around me at home and work 🙂

Thanks for the contact Ali, keep it up

Paul

Well done Paul.I am a new runner, staggered round my first half marathon on May this year in 2.56h. I had already begun the 5:2 in January, so had lost some weight but really struggled with my ankles and knees. Ran the second half in Sept 2.36h, 20 minutes faster and 21 lb lighter than January. The race finish photos were rather more flattering too!

I have a couple of 10K races lined up over the winter to keep me ticking over until I run that same half in May. My goal is to run it in 1.59h, but I don’t think that will be this year!Some say that I am ambitious wanting another 20 minute improvement,I am hoping for a time of 2.16h.

I can run for longer and better now that there is less of me, which is no surprise but the difference that 1.5″/4.5 cms off each calf, 3″/8cms off each thigh,4″/10.5cms off my waist, and the same off my hips have changed not only my fitness but my life too. Well done and keep going.

Hi Annette. Your post has encouraged me not to throw in the towel with my running! Maybe a few more weeks of fasting and I won’t struggle so much with my ankles/feet?

Hi ali43,
    Keep going, it does get better. I am a non sporty person who has always done everything in her power to avoid sport at all costs. However, there is a local half that brings my town to a standstill every year and I was inspired that there were some very overweight folk that were getting round. Which made me think that if they can do it, why can’t I?I started off quite slowly and gradually improved my breathing and distance, both helped by my son(23) who offered to help(he’s lost a stone and a half just running with me).

So here I am slimmer, fitter and faster than I ever thought possible at 52.

Half a stone loss made a massive difference to my knees and ankles.My running shorts now have a gap all around the tops of the legs too.

What an inspiring story Paul! I look forward to hearing of your continued success!!
    Ali43, don’t discount walking! It’s not as fun but is much easier on joints of course. I have started walking more after watching Dr Mosley’s exercise doco and thinking it would just up my NEAT or whatever it’s called, and have been surprised by how much I can puff if I find some hills to walk up! My physio mum is a big advocate of walking in general, and for me in particular to help prevent running injuries 🙂

Annette I always enjoy reading your posts and gain much inspiration from your commitment. I don’t often reply but I do read them – thank you for sharing. 4.5cm off each calf I think is my favourite measurement of yours. Don’t let anyone tell you 20min faster isn’t possible!! With your weight loss and continued commitment I’m sure you can. The bit I struggle with is running faster – it’s harder!! Haha. But I guess the only way to get faster is run faster. Have you used the mapmyrun website? Its great for tracking runs and comparing speed etc. They have an app too but I think I read that you don’t have a smartphone (I didn’t either until I went travelling and left my boyfriend at home)?

Pabsmeister have you tried doing hill reps? Or sprints? I find it really easy to cruise on my bike (at times I have gone for long cruises – 209km was my biggest, it sure didn’t feel cruisey by the end!!) so maybe upping the intensity would help. Or swimming? When I swim I imagine I am blowing calories out my nose which keeps me entertained and seems to work.

Happy slimming / exercising everyone!!

Walking is excellent. Four years ago I gave up car ownership and although I could join a car club(have use of a car on an hourly basis) I was worried that life would be very difficult.I live in a town, boys have grown and my car had become an expensive hobby….so I sold the car back to the dealership and started walking to work.

I walk 45 minutes each way 5 times a week. It is up a significant hill that I used to sweat all the way up and think that i was going to pass out when I started. However, it became clear even after a couple of months that my fitness was really improving and my shape was changing. Walking gives you a waist!

I too struggle with speed running but every time I get out there I remind myself that whatever I do is far better than sitting at home.I bought myself one of those watches with GPS that tracks distance/pace/calories burned last year. I use it every time that I run and then plug it into my laptop to look at progress. I was shocked to discover how far a mile was!

@annette52
    “Walking is excellent. Four years ago I gave up car ownership ”

I also gave up car ownership. More accurately, car ownership gave me up.

Living in a large city, downtown Chicago, brings many freedoms. One of those freedoms is transportation. As most large, metropolitan cities, there are cabs, buses, trains, bicycles, segways, horse drawn carriages, and even skates of many varieties.

Walking is the most common way to get around.

I estimate the weight difference between an urbanite and suburbanite is about 10 pounds, with everything else being the same.

The walking is the difference, especially after eating.

Great to read all the posts guys, what a positive, committed set of people I have found myself amongst.

I live in Perth, Western Australia and I’m a Sales Manager for a Construction company, so I get a company car, however……… From tomorrow I’m taking my bike on the back of the car and leaving the car at work for the week (just using it for appointments), so I will be riding home tomorrow night (approx 20kms) and then both ways until I bring the car home on Friday evening, once again with the bike on the back. This will amount to 160kms every week, luvvly!!. I will also do a decent length bush walk every weekend.

I know that losing weight is 80% what you put down your neck, so now that I have part totally under control, this can only help. It’s coming into spring/summer here, so I have no excuse.

It’s great to hear a couple of you giving up on your car, what a saving financially as well as the obvious health benefits. Cars give us some shockingly lazy habits!.

Great getting to know you people, keep up that positivity!!

Paul

I’ve just completed my first week and have lost 2.7kg! Amazing. I too have been in a high this week but it’s funny how friends and family have not responded how I thought. Not very much support but I don’t care it’s made me even more determined to carry on and get my weight down to 65kgs. Good luck to everyone.

Well done pinksta66! That’s a fab weightloss. Sometimes people’s reactions can be disappointing or puzzling but then others can surprise you in a good way. Be really proud of yourself and keep posting, you’ll get good support here. All the best x

Pabmeister that is an impressive goal.Just remembering what a mess I was in when I started walking to work, have you thought about cycling for alternate days for a month?Just to give your body a chance to recover.

Car ownership was completely bonkers for me. I live in a lovely city and walk across it twice a day walking through parks if I choose. Finances drove me to part with the car, it was the one thing that I could do without.With the money that I was not then using on funding the car, I paid off any credit cards and then over paid my mortgage. I am now much fitter without debt and without the hassle/cost of car maintenance or car insurance.I can hire a car from the car club whenever I want too….which isn’t often.

Good luck with the cycling.

Pinksta66,
    I just had to covert the kgs to lbs….5lb and 15 oz is an amazing result.I think it takes around 10lb for anyone to notice, but you have done very well and enjoy that.Just be aware that the average loss is 1 lb a week. Do make sure that you measure bust/chest, waist, hips, thighs and upper arms every week when you weigh. There are some weeks when the scales seem to be broken, but you will be shrinking.

Well done!

Thanks Annette52. I have a new workout at the gym which had also contributed to my weight loss this week – lots of rowing and using trx. Great fun! I realise that I won’t be losing that much every week. Every lb is a bonus. Thanks for the support. X

Thanks to all for comments re walking. Once the storm has come and gone here I’ll get out walking again. I have done it before at a good pace (I’ve got a Garmin sports watch that does similar to yours Annette). To be honest, my walking pace isn’t that much slower than my running pace (which says a lot about my running), so there’s no excuse!

Pinksta66, I have had mixed reactions to my decision to do this diet. One friend who’s a nurse was really negative about it (bit cheeky as she too is overweight) so I took the decision not to tell anyone outside of immediate family apart from my mum who saw the Horizon show and is a bit of a Doc Mosley fan herself. I’ve been doing it for a few weeks and only my husband and mum have noticed the weight loss so far. I’m not going to let this bother me as slow and steady weight loss is more sustainable for me personally. If I need a bit of support then I come to this forum. It’s delivered on support and advice every time. Well done on your loss so far. That’s great.

Ali

I never told anyone either, but was forced to “come out” in the summer when it was quite clear that I had lost rather a lot of weight/inches….23 lb and 23 inches/59cms. I only ever explain that I reduce my calorie intake for 2 days a week and never mention fasting but if pushed state that i am asleep for much of it.

Off for a run in the sun before the storm hits.

Great and enlightening posts guys, but a couple of you have had negative feedback from those around you, which is sad but unfortunately typical.

I just love it when somebody says “all you need to do is” and the person saying it is munching on chips, red in the face and really overweight……this happened to me yesterday. Everybody has a damned opinion because they’ve read it in a magazine AND if I hear “everything in moderation” one more time……..well you’ll see it on the news 🙂

I have made a conscious decision to NOT talk about it, I’ll just let my results talk for me. Finally I can say that last sentence with confidence.

Cheers everybody, keep up the excellent work

Like Pabsmeister, I have made a conscious decision to share with only two people at this stage, my ever loving husband and one of my sisters, who has also begun the 5:2 way of life. I have spent may years yo-yoing through so many different types and styles of weight loss programmes, always ending up heavier than when i started each programme. Seeing the Michael Mosely documentary on TV in New Zealand, inspired me to look at making a positive change in my life through something that feels achievable. I believe 5:2 is one that I am able to sustain, and while I have only been living the 5:2 for 4 weeks, I am feeling so much more optimistic about my future.

My favorite comment was from a very overweight friend who looked me up and down and stated that “polka dots were very slimming”….

I have always believed like many of you that the results speak for themselves…and they do.

Hi there, thought I’d join in this great conversation. I used to run years ago and even joined a running club. I don’t know why I gave it up…but then I tend not to stick with things I guess. I suppose that is part of the reason that my folks aren’t interested in me doing this diet (they’re the only people I’ve told)). I guess they have a point because, like so many of you in here, I have tried every diet imaginable. In fact, the last one I did was the Dukan diet which I learned from one of the doctors I used to work with. She used to advise so many of her patients to do it. I wonder if she still does…or if she’s heard of the 5:2 diet…much better for you!

Anyway, I digress. I just wanted to say how wonderful walking is. I have two dogs and am so grateful to have them because it means I HAVE to walk them (although luckily they hate the wind and the rain…so we probably won’t go out today!). For just over a year I have had ME and haven’t been able to do anything without becoming exhausted and full of aches and pains. Lately, though I have started to feel much better and even manage to do some yoga each day (which I highly recommend for whittling the waist line :-))

I’ve only been doing this WOE for 2weeks but already feel so much more energised. I really hope I can stick with this…so thank you for all your encouraging stories. Good luck everyone 🙂

Hi Nursebean, I think if you can stick with a plan for 2 weeks + then you’ve mastered the mindset required to be successful. I think this is day 9 of fasting for me and I have to say with absolute certainty, even though I’m having the most boring day ever (largely because of the weather), I will get to 7pm and have my 500 calorie meal then. At the start of this process, I was panicky at the beginning of a fast day, unsure if I would make it to the end but I’m more relaxed now. So my point is, I’m sure your folks will be more interested when they see your success which is inevitable if you can stick with it and to be frank, if I can anyone can!! If the IF has had a positive effect on your ME then that will give you a good reason to continue.

I love dog walking too. Unfortunately my old girl is struggling a bit with her back legs and we can’t go briskly enough or far enough to make it count these days! I’m hoping it’s temporary and the cod liver oil I pop in her bowl will work its magic.

Thanks for that Ali43, those sort of encouraging words are such a boost! And it’s all true…once I start shedding weight, my folks will notice and who knows…even join me!

I’m sorry to hear about your dog. It’s so sad to see them getting too old for good walks and struggle. I hope the cod liver oil helps her. One of my dogs, Poppy, was diagnosed with intestinal cancer and was given 2-3 months to live…that was over two years ago…she’s now my gorgeous 8 year old and I love her to bits. Both her and Minnie, my little 6 year old are like the kids I’ll never have…and thoroughly spoilt!!

How do you manage your meals? Do you cook? I guess it must be harder for you today if you’re having a boring day…even more reason to be pleased with yourself when you can hold on until 7.

Hope the rest of your day is more interesting 🙂

Thanks for your kind words re Maisie, my four legged friend. She’s been my running partner for 11 years and it would feel disloyal heading out the door without her for a run or walk at the moment but I will get to it very soon. Her problems only started a week ago when she suddenly lost the use of her back legs. The vet said it could just be a pinched nerve. Fingers crossed. Well done to Poppy! Long may her good health continue. Does she have ongoing medication?

My fast day meals consist of a big vegetable stir fry with prawns and chicken because it’s very quick to prepare. Sometimes I’ll have a miso soup with tofu during the day if I’m really peckish. That tends to keep the growls at bay. The occasional sugar free polo is helpful too. How do you plan your day? 🙂

I will keep everything crossed for Maisie and hope that it’s just a rest she needs. As for Poppy, she had a mast cell tumour and is currently taking a relatively new medication called Masivet. Needless to say it isn’t cheap…but it’s worth every penny. A miracle pill and just one a day (she’s so good at taking it too, bless her 🙂 )

Ooh I must say, your vegetable stir fry sounds delish! And what is this miso soup I keep reading about? What flavour is it?

At the moment I am out of work so each fast day I just make sure I walk “the girls” and do some yoga (I can manage about 20 mins a day at the mo). The rest of the day I keep myself busy with this and that and then have my evening meal any time after six. I quite enjoy feeling hungry…do you?

Thanks again!

I think the key to a successful fast day is keeping busy. I do struggle to exercise on a fast day though. Well done on the yoga. It’s a great form of exercise for the mind as well. I’m not working at the moment either. Largely because I’ve been looking after my kids longterm (16 and 13). Now that they’re not quite so dependent, I’m hoping to return to some form of part time work.

Miso is a Japanese soup. I buy a jar of paste made by Clearspring (brown rice variety). The main ingredient is soya beans. You mix a teaspoon with boiling water to make what looks like a broth. It’s flavour is difficult to describe. Mainly salty. Adding a few fresh herbs like basil and coriander makes it more satisfying. It keeps me going for a few hours anyway. You can also buy a box of small sachets of either paste or powder at the supermarket. It’s very low in calories which is helpful.

As far as being hungry is concerned, I really didn’t enjoy the feeling when I first started the diet but now I do. I think I’ve come to realise that it represents fat burning so has to be viewed positively. I’m in bed now and feeling a bit hungry but know that I can manage until breakfast.

🙂

Did you make it til breakfast?!

I think I’ll give the Miso soup a miss…but thanks anyway!!

I guess if you’ve been off work to raise your children, you’ve been out of work a while? What sort of part-time wrk d’you think you’ll go for. I only ask because I’m in a similar boat. I’m an out of work practice nurse but whenI’m well again I don’t know if I can go back to nursing…too stressful. So I don’t know what I’ll do. I thought working for Next would be good…get some money off their clothes. But I guess my ideal job would be working at Monkey World or something similar!! 🙂

Anyway, this morning I had Mornflake oats and I made it with water only…mmm not sure about that. I had to have toast and marmalade to get rid of the twang…and now I feel guilty that I’ve eaten too much…doh!! 🙁

Hi Nursebean, I used to work in HR in London years ago but I need something that’ll fit around my family now. I’ve got an interview with M&S on Thurs for a Christmas shift job. I think this would be ideal for me because I’ll probably be on my feet all day rather than such behind a desk all day, not to mention the prospect of a lovely staff discount at Christmas time! I have several nurse friends and they all say how stressful the work is. Good luck with your search. I think it’s a good time to look for a job in retail.

Re your breakfast choices, I wouldn’t worry about eating a little over your calories on a non-fast day. How has the rest of your day been?

Hi you guys this topic has brought back soooooo many memories.
    I have always had a weight problem until I was 37 when my first husband and I split. I then went back to being 18 again, going to the gym, rock’n’roll, netball etc. I went down from 76kg to 53kg (this was actually too low! should have been 58kg) and being 5’2″ this was a great loss. Being on my own I could do anything and I did but I now know that it was to much really.
    3 years layer I met my lovely new husband and settled down to a more normal life, gone was the gym etc but we kept ourselves busy with renovating etc.
    That’s over 18 years ago and the weight has gone back on, not as much but it’s there. I have tried other diets but not really stuck with them – the best being the Liver Cleansing Diet, which I go back to now and then for great recipes. After an accident I also have bad arthritis in one knee (none in the other) so that didn’t help with exercise, or was my excuse not to.
    I am taking the 5,2 as a life changing step, which for the most of it I can stick to very easily but again there sceptics all around. I do my fast days on my 2 works days, keeping myself busy and going to the gym, the hardest time is after tea.
    Now in my 3rd week and loving it, have lost almost 3kg and inches and will be doing 4 weekly weigh ins.
    This forum has great ideas and helpful hints and I suggest that everyone reads some at least once a week to keep you going.
    Good luck to you all

Hi Ali..I’m so sorry! I just had an email saying I’d sent my reply to you the wrong way (i.e. via email…doh!). Anyway, here it is.

Ooh working for M&S would be brilliant. Just think of the discounts!! Good luck with the interview :). It’s funny but I was looking online for jobs at Next (I tend to get most of my clothes from there!). I’m not ready to go back to work yet but it’s good for me to start thinking of work in other areas.

As for the rest of the day’s food. I’ve been pretty good and only indulged this evening with a chocolate mini roll. I find I definitely worry more about eating rubbish and overindulging, and although we are supposed to be free to eat what we like on non-fast days, I feel really guilty if I eat too much. Are you like that? Mind you, something that amazes me is that I don’t eat half as much chocolate as I used to (and I could polish off a 400g bar of Dairy Milk in one sitting…easily!). Do you find you don’t crave things as perhaps you did before?!,

Anyway, how did you get on with the M&S interview in the end?

Hi Nursebean as we’ve continued our conversation for far too long under ‘It Even Beats a Lapband – Paul’s Story’, I thought it might be more appropriate to move it away from his thread as everyone involved in that conversation will probably get an email notification every time we add something! I’ve started a new topic in the ‘General Health’ section that I’ve called ‘For Nursebean!’ So redirect yourself there to read my response. 🙂

To help throw it back to topic – Congrats on starting and your initial results Paul! How are you doing these days? Give us an update!

Hi everybody and thanks Nika

I have plateaued this week, even after all the cycling, so still about 3kgs in 2.5 weeks. I know that muscle is heavier than fat, but really, how much muscle could I put on in a week of cycling??. So here’s the difference, I am aware that weight loss is a) inevitable b) probably slower than I would like and c) purely a by product of lots of other great results and benefits.

I will NOT lose heart or faith and I am loving the journey, nothing will put me off or have me stray.

Take care everybody

Awesome way of not losing hope! And I’m sure the weightloss will come, just stick to it. As you say the weight loss is inevitable.

3kg in 2.5 weeks is really very good indeed! Well done. From your comments you are clearly very focussed.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply.