Is too many mushroom meals good or bad?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  JulieK1967 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hi I’m just embarking on the 5:2 diet as I need to lose about 14lb in weight. I’ve ordered the book off Ebay but have a question before it arrives. I’m 46 & learned last week that my fasting glucose is at pre-diabetic level & my cholesterol is also raised (I guessed it would be as this runs in my family). I’ve read that this diet might help bring these levels down? I hope so.

Anyway my question is I love mushrooms & they are low calorie so on the 2 fasting days is it OK to have mushrooms & tomatoes grilled for breakfast & then mushroom soup (I make my own mushroom soup with no cream) for lunch or is this too much protein & not enough carbs? Do you have to have carbs on the fasting days?

Thanks very much, Julie

I think a lot of people find it easier to eat few carbohydrates on fast days. I eat lots of vegetables with some lean protein like chicken breast, in different forms – sometimes cauliflower tortillas with topping, sometimes stir fry, and some days (like today) as soup 🙂

Good luck!

Hi JulieK1967 and welcome to a new way of life. In respect of the 5:2 diet days if you read the book it explains the basic idea that you should try to eat meals with a balance of proteins and carbs. Include mushrooms as you wish and remember to include them in your 500 cal allowance. Provided you are aware the effects that certain foods will have on your glucose and cholesterol levels then mushrooms and toms can be included. Read the posters comments. A lot of research and advice can be found among the posts.
    Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Hey Julie, welcome! I ate mushrooms yesterday for the first time in a few months, and really enjoyed them – going to do that more often.
    It’s my belief that carbs aren’t that important. All carbs are basically a form of saccharine (sugar). Your body turns it into glucose for energy. However, your body is very well able to use fat for energy and can even convert protein into glucose. You really don’t need as many carbs. I actually cut carbs on most days, unless I’m eating out or when I’m having fruit / yoghurt (which I only have on normal days). And I feel great 🙂
    But this is personal of course. There are people who don’t eat carbs at all, as I’ve done for a while – but that meant cutting out too many foods. And this diet is just about the opposite. I think not having carbs on your fast day is a good thing, as it increases fat burning rates even further! And then just have that nice slice of warm fresh bread the next day 😉 (Oh damnit now I’m reminded of my holiday in France… warm fresh bread with Camembert and jam… I’m not getting this out of my head for the rest of the day.)

Thanks everyone it’s great to hear different opinions. I keep an online food diary intermittently & have stared doing it every day now for the past week. I do eat too many carbs I know this for a fact so I will try to restrict them on my fasting days.

I’m looking forward to browing the forums & reading the book when it arrives.

Don’t even think about France Nika! I love France it’s my favourite holiday destination the food is superb especially the cheese!

Julie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.