I'm new, I'm large and looking to make this my new habit!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
I'm new, I'm large and looking to make this my new habit!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  dykask 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Hey guys my names Matt and I’m 29 from Buckinghamshire England. I’m currently 23st 7 and have really been intrigued with the 5:2 diet and how it works, and this time I am looking at giving it a go from tomorrow. I haven’t bought any of the books but was wondering what the recommendation would be from you guys on that, and any general hints and tips are welcome!

Wish me luck 🙂

Matt

You don’t need to buy the book but it will definitely help get your head around the concept. I also recommend the Obesity Code by Jason Fung. Pick your two fast days and stick to them. You don’t have to eat healthy but it helps a LOT to do so.

There is a lot of debate on this site with what constitutes healthy. Ask most of the fasters that have achieved their goal weight and are in the maintenance phase (Ive been in maintenance mode since march this year) and their response will be similar. No sugar!!! So that means no fizzy drinks, orange juice, cakes, biscuits, chocolate lollies etc. Also I do not think that any processed grain based foods are healthy (this is an area of debate by those starting 5:2 not so much with those that have achieved success). So grain base foods are bread, pasta, pizza, crumpets, breakfast cereals (really bad) etc. Limit rice to a minimum. Some fruit and go for your berry types fruits. Get your carbs from veggies. Some meat and fish is good. fats like cheese, high fat low sugar yogurt, avocadoes, nuts like almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts. legumes and beans but not the crappy stuff in cans which are full of added sugar.

Good luck it works if you want it to.

Hi Mwoollett, like Bigbooty said cutting back on refined sugar is really helpful. That often means avoiding processed food and often take outs. I’m lucky since I live in Japan which actually has a fairly low sugar diet. Avoiding sugar might be harder where you live. For me cutting back on rice and noodles wasn’t enough. (I’m not a big bread eater.)

In May I cut out deserts and made some food swaps to reduce added refined sugar. I went from around 60g / day to less than 20g / day and I lost about 1st 3 in 4 months. After that I lost more but I was fasting too.

Everyone is different so it may not work the same for you but it is worth the effort. I have found I don’t miss the sugar at all and in fact things started tasting sweeter and better after a few months.

I hope this diet works well for you, it has worked well for many other people!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.