I'm new!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Nika 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hi
    I started out yesterday. I watched Michael’s original Horizon programme and was intrigued but not motivated to start at that time. I have struggled with excess weight for a long time and, like many, tried a lot of diets, only to see the pounds creep back on in time. I was almost at the stage of thinking, why bother? I’ve recently retired (early) and it would be the easiest thing to give up on trying to lose weight. Something inside though keeps nagging at me to do something, but I just can’t face the prospect of days and days of denial. I had bought the book some time ago but it had languished on a shelf unopened. I picked it up a few days ago and skim read it and decided to give it a go.
    I have decided to fast on Mondays and Thursdays (a popular pattern it seems) and try to eat healthily on other days, keeping indulgent treats for the weekend – but knowing I can have what I want on non fast days (really liberating!).
    Yesterday was my first fast day – I was a bit apprehensive to say the least. People who have unlimited access to food never really feel hungry, do they? I intended to split my 500 cals between breakfast and dinner but I didn’t feel hungry so thought eating unnecessary. I honestly went all day without feeling hungry – all that passed my lips was water, black coffee and tea made with a dash of skimmed milk (I can’t give up my tea, I really can’t!). Come 6pm I thought I had better eat so had a low cal meal but actually felt more hungry afterwards. Slept ok and woke up this morning with normal appetite. I’m really surprised and pleased as I thought I would be famished!
    Anyway, thought I’d post and share my experience of beginning 5:2 and look forward to hearing how you are getting on. (I originally posted this in reply to another newbie’s post but then thought I should post here too)

Hi Leafi, Good for you! I wasn’t that strong when I first started out, I had to do the 2 meals thing for quite a while before I was able to go all day. Good for you that you’ve been able to do it straight out of the block. I too always feel more ‘real’ hunger a while after I’ve broken the fast. I really should try doing a total fast on a fast day sometime but I actually really look forward to my fastday meal (as it’s something I never have on any other day, so it’s kind of a treat in itself). Best I can bring myself to do is to leave it as late as possible before I have it – usually after 8-9pm – so there’s not enough time for hunger pangs to kick in before bed 😉

Keep up the good work 😀

Hi Leafi
    I saw your other post too, but thought I would respond in your new topic. (One thing I wish I had done when I started contributing to this forum was begin a new topic, but I wrongly thought that I would get more response if I added to an existing forum.)
    How’s it going, now you are into a second fast day? Sounds like you have started very positively 🙂
    I usually have 2 meals on a fast day – I am recovering from a knee operation which means it is harder to keep busy and distracted from hunger pangs. Two meals a day means I can have a big salad with egg for lunch, and lots of veggies with fish or chicken for tea, which I like to do on non-fast days as well (varying the protein source) – so the fast days don’t seem so different.
    This forum is a great source of information and support, so do continue to make use of it.
    Keep us posted on how you are going.
    Best wishes 😀
    Sassy

Hi all I am on my 2nd week, 4th fast really getting into the swing of things now. I just weighed myself and have lost 5lb I am punching the air right now as I had fish and chips at the weekend. I am beginning to look at food differently now and my appetite is less. I too will not give up my tea!! I stick to one meal a day (dinner) because if I had breakfast my appetite would go into overdrive!

Thanks Sassy – I had my second fast day yesterday but didn’t feel as good as on first one; not really hungry, just a bit tired and ‘off’. Got through until 7pm anyway and then had low cal meal and some grapes. Feeling sort of ‘normal’ today and very glad I can eat. I’ve just been swimming so hopefully keeping the metabolism up – I’ve an underactive thyroid and seem to need to exercise to be able to lose weight. Bad luck about your knee operation – hope you are up and about shortly.

Hi. Been reading the forum for three weeks now can’t believe how easy I have found it. I have tried every diet going I think. After two weeks I had lost 4lbs. I fast on Tuesday and Thursday as I work out those two days. Tomorrow is my third week weigh in. Fingers crossed. I have a cuppa soup at lunch time and then a lowcal dinner. I had spent 18 months on S W and spent a fortune, every time I eased off for a bit I put back anything I had lost. I cannot see any reason why I would stop the fast diet as life is normal no special food no restrictions so you don’t yearn for the things that are not allowed. Good luck leafi I’ll watch
    your post with interest. Xx

Hi again
    Hope things are going well for all of you who have started recently 🙂
    Papej, your comments reflect those of so many who are on this WOE.
    keels75 – fantastic start for you!
    Leafi – sorry to hear that second fast was not as easy – that’s how it can go. After over 7 months on this WOE, my response to fast days is still very variable. But I get through and the results that I have achieved thru this WOE make those fast days bearable : D
    My knee op was the result of an injury caused by my own stupidity (!!), and although I am up and about I can’t do the sort of exercise I like to do (long walks), or anything that burns calories, for a few more months yet 🙁
    But I am close to goal weight after only 7 months, so have lots to be grateful for 😀
    Cheers
    Sassy

My body also still responds very differently to fasting, and I’m kind of glad it does. Although I like the idea of my body being a “fat burning robot”… it makes me feel like it works, sometimes having a hunger pang!
    I saw the number 86 on my scales this morning for the first time in a while (last time was after my jaw surgery after which I couldn’t eat for a week). Then I jumped back up to 95 afterwards of course.

But, 86,9! Whoooo!

Hi Nika
    It is great to see those numbers on the scales getting smaller, isn’t it? 🙂
    Congrats on attaining a mini-goal! 😀

Haha yeah those mini achievements are a lot of fun! After this just every time seeing a new number before the comma makes me very happy! Especially when that 8 turns into a 7…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.