Hi new here, need some help

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Auriga 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• just joined this site for fasting , hoping to get more info.

1st should a fast be a full 24 hours without eating? eg last meal at 6 p.m the next meal would be at 6 p.m the following day.

or
    should one eat on a fast day, lets say two small meals, one in the morning eg last meal at 6 pm fast day the next meal at 9 in the morning {a cup of cooked oats for breadfast} then another meal at 6 pm { a salad and Proteing eg eggs omelette, steak, fish, chicken}?

Hi , I fast from 2pm Mon to 2pm thus , the same on a thurs. I have a low cal dinner on Mon eve and then usually a banana mid morn on tues, after 2pm I have a late lunch although sensible ! Hope that helps -:) good luck 🙂

@eddy
    “1st should a fast be a full 24 hours without eating? eg last meal at 6 p.m the next meal would be at 6 p.m the following day.
    or
    should one eat on a fast day, lets say two small meals, ”

Yes.

Lol I meant tues ! 🙂

The general feeling seems to be that for weight loss you can spread your 600 calories (I am assuming you are a man!) any way you like. But for some of the other health benefits its better to fast for (almost 24 hours).

For me personally, any kind of breakfast seems to set off the munchies, whereas if I just wait till the evening to eat I am fine. But people vary hugely in what works for them.

I’d say experiment!

Definitely not a fast for 24 hours – best to have 2 meals with 300 calories a meal – and at least 2 litres of water – also best to eat 4 hours apart – so midday and 4pm is good – but 8am and 6pm is also good – break the fast at 8am the following day with a protein feast

Eddy and Chris, wondering if you’ve read the book? The rules are very flexible, which is why it suits so many of us. Michael followed 5:2 by having breakfast around 7.30am and dinner at 7.30pm. Mimi chose to nibble with small meals throughout her days.

Michael’s BBC documentary however indicated that with a longer fast there were health benefits.
    http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/110651/BBC_Horizon_2012_Eat_Fast_and_Live_Longer/

Here on the site in FAQ, this explains the hours:

“Is a “fast day” 24 or 36 hours?
    In reality a fast day is 36 hours. If you finish your last full evening meal at 7.30pm on Sunday, then Monday is your fast day, you are not going to be eating normally till Tuesday morning 7.30am. That is 36 hours. If you decide instead to fast from 2pm on Monday until 2pm on Tuesday, then that will only be 24 hours. Wait till 7pm and that is 29 hours. To do 36 hours you would have to hold off till 2am on Wednesday, which would be a little inconvenient.”

Hope this helps.
    Heather

Yes have read the book – rules are flexible – but your first post makes no sense from the book – the book does not say to fast 24 hours without eating

thanks everyone for your responses I will read the book

Sorry if that added to the confusion Chris. The quote I posted from FAQ on this site is an indication of the time frame that people choose to eat – in relation to eating their 500 or 600 calories.

Personally I eat at 7pm on what seems more of a “semi” fast day. I eat nothing earlier on those days and then have a meal again at lunch the following day. So my small meal (I use low carb instead of calorie counting) is the only food consumed in about 42 hours. If I chose to eat breakfast the day after a “fast” it would be my “fasting” meal in 36 hours.

Heather

The longer you go without food the more you will reduce your insulin levels and it’s insulin (in short)that makes you fat. A lot of people on this site do 16 hours of fasting & a period of 8 hours where they eat at a time that suits them. My husband and I eat at 7pm the night before a fast day then we do not eat until at least 2pm the next day and then only 100 calories ish. We have a reduced calorie evening ‘meal’ at 7pm as usual, 300-400 for me and 400-500 for him. We also do 4:3, as we found this worked best for us: being older we don’t lose weight easily.
    Everyone has their own technique which works for them, I am sure you’ll find yours. The more often you eat the more you’ll spike that insulin!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.