Hi I'm new! Quick question!!!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tomtommum 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hi guys! Just joined the site today, this is my first week of 5:2 and I’m on my second fast day. I am a 27 year old female, 5ft 5 and 10st 3 looking to lose 1st. I exercise minimum 5x week, usually 45mins of fairly intense cardio, and then 5-10mins toning/weights as well as walking. I very much struggled with 500 cals on fast days, and on both I have crept up to 600, which in its self was very painful! I was just wondering have any females done 5:2 intaking 600 calls on fast days and been successful? Other info: I have an under active thyroid and am currently taking 100mcg thyroxine as treatment.

🙂

500 calories is just a rule of thumb. A better rule is 25% of what you need to maintain your weight, which could be higher with your exercise and muscle and metabolism. I wouldn’t worry too much about going over, but there are two potential problems. One is that you won’t lose weight because your overall calorie intake over the week is too high. The other is that you won’t get as much health benefits as you would if you ate less on fast days.

I would think that people vary greatly in how easily they enter the “fasting state” or repair mode, as Dr. Longo referred to it on the program, but I would guess that if you’re losing weight, then you’re also fasting enough. Fasting gets easier with practice too, so if you find it hard, just start out slowly.

Thanks!

hi jc, I have an underactive thyroid too, on 150mcg of thyroxine. I have battled so much with my weight, buti firmly believe the 5:2 really is the way forward. I have lost 10lbs in three weeks, nearly 3″ off my waist and hips, and I feel good. And i have more energy than I have had in a long time.

So go for it, if you can keep to 500cals it is best, you can eat normally the other 5 days but the great thing about this diet is the flexibility.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.