Hi Fat, Low protein/cal Foods

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  HappyHappy 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Hi,
    I’m new to this site and on my 3rd monthly 5-day FastMimickingDiet exercise. I am eating a surprising variety of foods and fitting them within the daily calorie limits. The program seems to work well for me in terms of tolerance/suffering. I have however put a lot of time and research into finding foods that meet the requirement of Lo-cal, Lo–protein, Hi-Fat content. I read on the board not to obsess about this ratio, but it seems to be a significant aspect of the science behind the benefits of the regimen.

So, in order not to have to eat avocados for five days straight, I’m hoping people can suggest some foods that are lo-cal (and avocados are fairly calorific!), lo-protein AND hi in fat. I know carbs need to be considered, but the difficulty for me is finding a variety of foods that are hi-fat/lo- protein. I’m not averse to fat, so I’ve noticed for instance that pork jelly fit the bill nicely, which might not suit some people, but appeals to me tremendously.

So don’t leave out any suggestions! Maybe we can get a comprehensive thread here of recommended foods that fit the nutrient ratio.

Thanks!

Hi Happy:

This is a 5:2 site and as you know, people can eat any types of foods they want on 5:2 as long as they follow the calorie guidelines.

For your preferred types of foods, I would google the ketogenic diet and review the recommended food lists. This is just one of many and might get you started: http://www.ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-food-list/#

Good Luck!

PS I am interested – are you using food from Dr. Longo’s company for your fast mimicking diet, or getting your food somewhere else?

https://optimisingnutrition.com/2015/07/16/optimal-foods-for-therapeutic-ketosis/

Might find something you like here. Nuts fill the bill as do fatty/oily fish & some meats/meat products.

I can’t imagine that there are any low calorie high fat foods. There are twice as many calories in 1 gram of fat as there are in either 1 gram of carbohydrate or 1 gram of protein. High fat foods really can’t be anything but high calorie unless you only eat tiny quantities of them.

One of the most calorific foods (after pure fats like oils) are nuts. Depending on the variety, they have 2600-3070 kilojoules (620-730 calories) per 100grams. (Almonds are at the lower end of the calorie scale and macadamias at the top.) I could polish off that many nuts in 10 minutes of snacking. That’s not to say you shouldn’t be including nuts in your diet. Of course you should, they are an excellent source of protein, amino acids and healthy fats, particularly if you eat them raw. However, portion control is rather critical when you are trying to lose weight. When I use them I will replace both meat and fat in a recipie with nuts, eg in a veg stir fry I’ll replace 5ml oil and 100g chicken with just 20g raw cashews – the calorie values are about the same.

It is possible to get most of your calories from fats, just remember that because these foods are so calorie dense, the volume of food you will have to eat will be much smaller than if you were including more lower fat foods.

Thanks Simcoeluv,

I actually did register for this site erroneously thinking it referred to the Fast Mimicking Diet (FMD). I previously followed the 5:2 diet for several months a few years back (after watching the BBC documentary), but fell off the wagon. Then this past fall I pondered trying it again, and upon research found the new alternative FMD, basically from the same researchers. I knew right away that it would suit my habits and personality better. Too many details to go into for why (I hope!) 5 days a month works better for me than 2 days a week. But I will say that the challenge of 5 straight days has a certain zen quality for me. On the other hand, 2 days times 52 weeks equals 104 fast day per year, while 5 days times 12 months is only 60 days of fasting. So you 5:2 folks are the champs! And, finally to answer your question, NO, I do not use any specially-made products. I am an omnivore. So I actually enjoy scrounging around my local organic food store for inspirations that will satisfy my frustrated appetite and keep me below my daily calorie max. But my struggle is to keep the protein down and the fat up to satisfy the nutritional prescriptions of the diet. Besides avocado, which uses up so much of my calorie allowance and really doesn’t sustain me through the day, it’s hard to find foods that fit the bill.. and thus my post. I’m happy to be sharing with 5:2 folks though, and thank you very much for your suggestions. I will follow them up!

LJoyce, you hit the nail on the head. It is truly a challenge for me to meet the Hi-fat/lo-protein/lo-cal formula suggested in the FMD without turning into a jittering starving maniac. But one thing that helps me is that weight-loss is not the purpose of my fast diet, it is more for the self-discipline and the (perhaps panacea) promise of longer, healthier life. I am getting that late-middle-age gut, and my metabolism is slowing down. So the fast is truly a bit of an endurance test for me, and eating miso, a boiled egg and an avocado each day for 5 days is taxing but invigorating. Nonetheless, I would like a bit more variety, and am gradually finding it, and it would be nice to find some foods that sustain my energy and fill me up better through the day. (which as you say, nuts just can’t fulfill on a lo-cal regime)

Thank you for your wise suggestions!

bcjmmac, Thanks! I am discovering how surprisingly appropriate fish can be to the diet. I can surprisingly fit a 1/2 can of salmon into the daily diet, which has both the fat and the taste to make me happy. I’ll check the link you’ve suggested.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.