Help – thyroid problems and the 5:2…

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  sudiedoo 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• I have been following the 5:2 since early September, going well at the moment have lost 19lbs to date. Enjoying fitting into clothes I haven’t worn for ages!!

Worrying because I am not feeling so well, very tired – had half my thyroid removed in June, saw the consultant today and he told me that my thyroxin levels are now below normal, but the hormone level from the pituitary gland is normal.
    I had thought losing weight would help improve my thyroid function.

Does anyone out there know if its OK to continue with the 5:2 with this kind of thyroid profile? My BMI is no 25.6 so I am getting almost into the healthy weight range.

Have so enjoyed reading all the blogs – very very helpful – busy telling all my friends how fantastic 5:2 is.

Hi….Do you take any thyroid supplements? I had a complete thyroidectomy about
    27 years ago and have been on replacement in the form of armour thyroid (the more natural thyroid supplement) since then. You might be interested in checking out websites by Mary Shoman and Dr. Stephen Langer for great info on thyroid matters!
    Tiredness is a sign that there is a problem with this hormone level in your body.
    Blood tests always can pinpoint exactly what is wrong.

I’m in the beginning of the 5:2 WOE so don’t have major results to report. I know my extra weight is not due to thyroid problems, but “mouth over-activity”!!

Good luck in finding a solution! Marilyn in Oregon, USA

Hi Marilyn,

Thank you so much for all this information – I will definitely check out the websites you suggest and ask my GP about this natural form of thyroid supplement.

Someone told me about 0% fat greek yoghurt – (this tastes almost too good to be true and only just over 50 calories a half pot).

I use it for breakfast with strawberries and Agave nectar, and it keeps me feeling full right through to lunchtime. I have found its better to keep carbs very low on fast days. Also really enjoying veggie soups (allotment soup is my favourite!)
    Have been sticking almost to the 500 calories for the 2 days and losing around 1 1/2 lbs each week.
    All the very best!! You will find you quickly get used to managing on less calories for those 2 days. I almost enjoy the challenge now!!
    Good luck!!

Sue, Norfolk, England

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.