Help Please

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Couscous 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• I’ve been doing fast diet for approximate 10 weeks now and lost 17lbs. I’m on a fast day today and its the hardest one so far. I’m so hungry and no amount of coffee or water is helping. I’ve been sticking to 350 calories on fast day. Slim a soup for lunch and 300 calorie ready meal for tea. I really don’t want to break fast as I know if I do it once I’ll do it again. Any motivational tips would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly, congratulations on your fantastic weight loss!!!
    I am the same about breaking – I also know it would be easier to do it again once I have done it once!
    Would you consider a compromise of eating up to your 500 cal today? Or even just another 50cal soup?
    Are you able to exercise? I find it’s a great way to pass time, and it means I’m not hungry while exercising, and not after for an hour or few. Running or HIIT are best for me.
    Aaahm….. Don’t think about it? Totally kidding on that one of course, can’t think of anything more helpful apart from focussing on the 17lbs you’ve lost already – today’s hunger is contributing to the next lb. You’ve done, what, 20 fast days already, so you CAN get through today!! Soon you can have your dinner, and then tomorrow is not far away.
    Good luck! 🙂

Hi jayneberry, you are doing very well with your weight loss but if you are having hunger pangs then you need to consider some changes. As 2B suggests seriously consider your 500 cal allowance. You should also look at what you eat on your fast days. One option is to ditch the slim a soup (processed rubbish) and make up some Cabbage soup as per the cabbage soup diet. At least you will get some real unadulterated veg into you along with a major portion of liquid and the calorie count will be less than 100 cals. OR change to a 30gm portion of real porridge made with water. Total calorie count would be around 110 cals per serving. Porridge is low GI, will give slow energy release and keep you fuller longer. Re your Ready Meal. What is it?. Remember you need a balance of protein and carbs. Protein will help keep you fuller longer. If you live in the British Isles can I suggest you consider M&S “Count on Us” range. Their pork dinner comes in at 290 cals and is very filling.
    Consider eating your Ready Meal at lunch time and your soup meal or porridge as your last meal of the day, say eating this at 7.00pm then to bed around 9.00pm.
    As a low cal nibble can I suggest Broccoli florets?. Cut them as small as you can, keep chilled in the fridge and eat a few as needed. I guarantee you will take a while to get through 4-5 florets of aprox 20-30 cals. An aquired taste but worth a try.
    You must ring the changes and experiment to find what suits you. Do not give up and do not beat yourself up if you do. Remember you are “comfortably empty” not hungry.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Jayneberry, after losing 17lbs your body must have changed. Take a look in the mirror, get out the tape measure. Buy yourself one new outfit that shows off your new shape. You’ll be surprised at how motivated you become when the compliments are flying all around you. Be proud of what you’ve achieved. Well done and keep up the good work.

Great weight loss so far and well done for not breaking a fast up to now,

You could be hungrier on a fast because of the day before maybe. Did you eat enough, late enough? Or like me, too much? Always hungrier the day after a big late meal, why I just don’t know.

If I’m starving or craving in a fast I plan my breakfast or a treat for the next day. It’s only tomorrow, not far to go! I imagine hot buttered toast. But you know what? When I wake up the next morning I don’t have it. It was only because I was so ravenous.

That’s the beauty of 5:2. It’s not a daily slog of deprivation.

Hope this helps for next time. How did you cope in the end?

Hey Jayne, how’d your day end up? I really hope you didn’t break your fast! The others have already given a few tips should this happen again, I’d like to add to mostly keep an eye on your normal days and make sure you get all the needed nutrients on those days. Whether you eat up to 350 or 500 on a fast day doesn’t really matter in my opinion, I sometimes just skip eating all together on that day.

Thanks for your help everyone. With help and support from friends new and old I didn’t break fast I am pleased with myself and hopefully getting through yesterday will help me with the next hard one. I am going to look at some homemade soups as I think the cold weather is part of the problem I def eat more in winter. Soup will be good for non fast days as well. I am struggling with time for exercise at moment as have 2 & 4 year old girls at home and my husband is currently replacing our driveway at weekends and evenings but my plan is to start as soon as I get some free time.
    I def find fast days harder if I’ve had a big meal the night before so try to choose wisely and maybe eat a bit earlier and have a light supper. Think yesterday was just a bad one as I normally cope quite well. Thanks so much for the support it really got me through. Also
    Just writing my first post gave me a bit more determination. So for any new comers my advice would be make use of the forums it worked for me 🙂

Haha yeah whenever I feel like I can’t do it anymore I just start chatting away on the forums. It really helps to read but also respond to stuff ^^

Good job on not breaking your fast! You’ve proven to yourself that you can do it, which is a very useful thing to find out for yourself!

You could take the kids out to the park / forest / beach whatever? Hmmm maybe a bit too young for that huh?

Hi jayneberry, congrats on keeping to your fast day. As regards soups as you probably know there are many sources to check out on the internet, library, magazines etc. Remember, if you make soup for your family on a fast day you could thin down a smaller portion for yourself with water or stock to achieve a smaller calorie count. Also research has shown that by having soup before a meal can result in feeling fuller with a small calorie main meal.
    Good luck.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.