Help needed

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  fitnfast 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Ive just turned 40 and I’m sick of looking at myself I need to lose three stone…im in Cornwall UK x

You came to the right place! And you can do it. If I can do it, anyone can! I tried every diet there is, exercised myself practically to death, and never lost more than a few pounds. I have been doing this for 6 weeks, and have lost 14 lbs (I think that is one of your stones?)
    Others will be along to help also. Lots of support and encouragement here!

Hi, I’m in a similar position. I’m 37 and have found it really hard to lose weight after 2nd child. I could do with losing a stone but 2 would be better. Also want to feel fit and glowing with health not sluggish and walking thru porridge. Quality life and health is my aim but I fear I am easily tempted….

Welcome.
    Please read the FAQ’s at the top as there is lots of information that will help.
    My top tips are to weigh/measure all vital statistics/try on clothes once a week and to log them. You will see your body change.Average weight loss is 1 lb a week, but you will shrink and clothes will become to big as the weeks tick by.
    I also eat food that I enjoy on a fast day and aim for protein and leaves on those days. Once you start to see changes it becomes much easier to keep going. I remember thinking that this was not going to work for me….but it did and continues to do so. Think of it rather as a marathon and not a sprint.
    Think of how you could feel in 6 weeks/3 months/by Christmas?

Thank you so much..I’m going to really try ..tomorrow is my first fast day xx

Hi Everyone
    Have been battling my weight since having my children. I am currently 30kgs over weight and its soooooooooo depressing
    Have been doing 5:2 for a few weeks now and have only lost 1kg and this is so depressing for me. I have been doing what I have been told to do with the exercising and eating
    I woke up this morning to do my weight and found that I have put in 100grams. I know its not much but it is so depressing that my weight isn’t coming off.
    I have an appointment with a surgeon to do lap band surgery as finding this weight thing just getting me down everyday
    Just feeling blahhhhh………………

Dalmo 1, have you had other tests done, like thyroid, etc.? You could have an underlying condition that is preventing the weight from coming off.

Describe your typical fast day, and also a non fast day. Maybe we can figure out what is going on. Surgery is a big step.

Thankyou for replying back
    I have had all tests under the sun and moon done and everything, Thank God, is fine.
    I fast on a Monday and Thursday….I have two glasses of warm water in the morning with lemon. BY mid morning 10am -11am, I will have a nutri bullet which consists of coconut cream, coconut water, blueberries, spinach, mint, water flaxseeds and a protein powder…..all comes under 500 calories.
    I do get hungry at about 5-6pm and tuts when I have the rest of the nutria bullet and I do find that I have a little bit of food when I’m cooking.
    I exercise about 4 times a week………..
    Hope this helps
    Hear from you soon

My thoughts only, take it or leave it as you will. I am not a nutritionist, just have studied a lot of this stuff.

Ditch the nutribullet. Eat the real thing. Mostly veggies, but berries are ok too (blueberries best). The easier it is for your body to absorb the food (juice), the faster and higher your insulin goes. Insulin drives weight gain. Salads, births, etc.are the cornerstone of most fast days.

Now tell me what your non fast day looks like. What time do you first eat, how many meals, snacks ,etc?

I like the nutribullet because its a nice smoothie and its filling. I can do spinach, kale ,etc and the kids don’t pick up with the veggies….I will though keep in mind what you have said
    My other days I don’t eat until about 11am….my mornings are 2 x glasses of warm water with lemon juice and then I have a chinese herb tonic that I have to drink
    And a cup of coffee
    Then I will have a piece of toast or eggs on toast and then don’t eat until dinner which I actually make a lot of meals from the 5:2 recipe book
    I actually find that I’m not the at hungry on my non-fast days and have been able to listen to my body and eat when I am hungry instead of just eating than regretting the food consumed
    I find that on the weekends I do let myself go and then eat when I’m not even hungry and this makes me mad because sometimes I just find I can’t stop and I don’t know how to stop…….
    Hear from you soon

Dear Dalmo1,

There is a very interesting article written by Dr.Mercola on intermittent fasting. I will post the link below in case you are interested in reading it. His article is really about daily intermittent fasting or alternate day fasting but, one of the interesting points he makes is that it often takes time for the body to transition once one begins the intermittent fasting.

“Remember it takes a few weeks, and you have to do it gradually, but once you succeed and switch to fat burning mode, you’ll be easily able to fast for 18 hours and not feel hungry. The “hunger” most people feel is actually cravings for sugar, and these will disappear, as if by magic, once you successfully shift over to burning fat instead.”

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2013/06/28/intermittent-fasting-health-benefits.aspx

I have seen many posts where people started 5:2 and it took several weeks for them to start seeing results. It could be that your body just needs to transition.

Also, there are foods for me that totally bloat me up when I eat them. These include grains and dairy products. As long as they are part of my diet it seems to be impossible for me to loose weight. I keep those same foods out of my diet, I can loose the pounds (though it is still very slow for me.)

Finally, check your TDEE (total dietary energy expenditure). There is a tool on this site that will calculate it for you. It is the amount of calories you need to eat each day so you don’t gain or lose weight. For several weeks you may need to calculate your calories to make sure you are not going over your TDEE on your non-fast days. Remember, your actual daily calorie need may only be 1800 calories. Fasting two days a week at 500 calories on those days only gives you a 2600 calorie deficit for the week. That is actually less than a pound calorie-wise. If you are over eating on the the non-fast days, you may be negating your fast days.

Good luck with your new eating adventure.

Oh, yes, one more thing…

It sounds like your nutribullet drink is a little high in the carb category. Having to secrete insulin will take you out of fat burning mode. I think you want to keep your insulin levels as low as possible on fast days.

Cheers.

Thankyou so much for the additional reading information.
    I also think I expect too much of myself and just want to lose the weight today…..if you get what I mean……..I’m so desperate to lose and to see the numbers going down
    It was funny as I weighed myself last night and the scales actually broke, not due to my weight but more because of them being abused as kids jumping on it……
    I think a good omen as I am on the scales about 6 times a day checking my weight and getting obsessed with it……maybe I need to chill out also instead of being so obsessed……
    I actually had a panic attack with them broken as I don’t know how to weigh myself anymore as hubby not allowing me to buy another set of scales
    Thankyou so much and will let a few more weeks to go by and see how I go. I have read through the blogs and the 5:2 is successful for others so why not me????
    Thankyou so much VirginiaEdie

Be happy that your scales broke! Your weight will fluctuate by several pounds a day, and from day to day. It will just make you angry and frustrated. Once a week is enough, but just use your clothes to tell. Or go to the health food store and use theirs!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply.