Help! Day one and a few questions please

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  hedgehogs 6 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Before I start, I’d like to just say that my husband and I intend to start this diet (or eating plan) today and there’s a couple of questions I’d like to ask before we start please. My husband has gradually piled on the weight since he has had two hip replacements and has retired. He does no exercise at all and is not very active due to his mobility problems (hips) For years he has not eaten breakfast or lunch and just has one big meal a day in the evening so is worried that if he eats throughout the day (even small meals) that he will put more weight on. I intend to watch the amount of calories he eats throughout the day and then fast for two days, Mondays and Thursdays and hopefully over a period of time his metabolic rate will return to normal. We will start walking each day too, although he may be restricted in this area. Am I on the right track please?

Hi four and welcome:

It sounds like you have several misconceptions.

First, there is nothing wrong with your husband’s metabolic rate. So there is no need for him to eat several meals a day to fix it.

Also, exercise, while very good for general health, is unnecessary to lose weight. So exercise if you can, as much as you reasonably can, but don’t expect it to increase your weight loss.

5:2 is calorie driven. So the concept is to eat 5/600 cal. per day for your two diet days each week, and to eat to your TDEE or less the other five days. It does not matter when you eat those calories, or how often you eat each day. In fact, many find that eating one high fat, moderate protein meal in the evening on diet days works quite well.

Here are some tips that might help: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

I’ve done FDs for a little while & prefer to eat just one meal, I get hungrier if I have several little ones, there’s lots of research about Intermittent Fasting (IF) where you eat all your food in a small window, & so your hubby is doing something good!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.