Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 28,224 replies, has 834 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 22 hours, 28 minutes ago.

Viewing 28 posts - 28,301 through 28,328 (of 28,328 total)

• hello all

Crikey Neil, 300mm in 3 days is crazy and I can only imagine the chaos it caused. Glad you had a good weekend otherwise with your eating and exercise. What an eerie coincidence that Dunedin in Florida flooded at the same time.

My weight loss has stalled and it is very frustrating, but enough on that

It is a gorgeous day in Sydney, 29 degrees and sunny. However a cold change is on the way as it will only be 19 tomorrow. We had our first swim of the season today as the solar heating got the water temperature up to my minimum which is 27 degrees (yes I am a chicken when it comes to cold water).

Your property sounds so beautiful G’day but I’m sorry to hear you are unable to move due to unaffordable housing. I will try and send some luck your way for a lottery win, you absolutely deserve it

I despair about tax also Thin and Cali. I earn decent money but therefore I pay so much tax it hurts. I am getting overtime now (temporarily) and the taxman is loving it

Sorry about your FD Quacka, next time will be better. I have diverticulitis so that brings terrible reflux and I will do anything to ease it when it happens. I’m on medication for it but the doctor advised I should try and only take it on alternative days so sometimes the reflux still sneaks in

Take care all

My two FDs saw me drop 1.3kg so I’m in a much better place to start the week.

Neil, what terrible rainfall but you are on such a roll with your weight loss. Just like the old days!

Anzac, so funny to read that Sydney is ‘cooling down to 19C’! It’s all relative of course and now a forecast of 17C sounds quite appealing to us! We’ve had three or four glorious, sunny autumnal days and managed to get off the flooded river and back on the canals yesterday. Such a relief. When the flood lock was finally opened, we were first in a long parade going west and there was another coming towards us. There were more boats than we’ve seen all summer. The anchor, life ring and life vests have now been stowed away.

Cinque, are you alright?

Hello all 🙂 Im not MIA. Just super busy buzzy. Work and 10 yr old are keeping me well and truley out of any possible mischief. Her term 3 schecdule is enough to put anyone off having kids ( I joke , but its not for the feint hearted) Some activities start at 6:15 am , some end after 6 pm and then there is still homework or studying to fit in never mind eating and sleeping. I also have her dance music stuck in my head on shuffle .

Your flooding sounds crazy Neil . But the weather all over seems very odd. We had snow here in Sept, but so bad it trapped people that were travelling between provinces for hours in the cold. We have never experinced snowfall like this here , so when snow warnings went out, no one took them very seriously as we are used to a slight powdering if we get any at all, but it was the deep winter wonderland variety. It was very scary for those trapped. Shame I believe 2 people actually passed away.

My weight is down another KG. Yay! And more cm on my waistline. I had a horrible 2 weeks where I felt so bloated even on the FD’s and i felt sure I had gained rather than lost, but thankfully not. Not sure what caused the IBS . Im guessing stress ?

I am sorry I have not read through everyones posts. I hope you are all well and having good FD’s

Hugs to you all x

Morning all

Fast day before my weigh-in tomorrow. Since I’ve been eating breakfast again the last couple of months, I’m trying something different, and instead of eating all my calories in the evening, I’m going to try to split them into 3 equal meals of 250-300 calories each. I had some raspberries and yoghurt for breakfast. I packed some chili beans and salad for lunch, and I’m going to have some roast pork and probably some more salad veggies tonight. I’ll see how it’s worked out, hunger-wise, tonight.

Suzy, good to hear from you and congrats on the loss. I had bloating and digestion issues for quite a while, I worked out that it seems to get worse when I eat a lot of sugar or starchy processed carbs, like bread, pasta, baking, etc. Natural starchy carbs like rice or potatoes don’t seem to affect me. If you can handle eating boredom for a month, you can try doing the “whole 30” programme. It’s a diet where you eliminate everything except fruit, vegetables, meat, eggs and oils. After 30 days you start introducing foods one at a time to see which ones may cause you issues.

Thin, 1.3 kilos is a great result for a couple of fast days, well done!

ANZAC, our tax rate is reasonably high, but we do have a tax rebate system for people with families. If you have dependent children you get a tax refund, I think ours is to the tune of around $200 per week. It certainly helps pay the bills, but we’re going to have it halved next year because our son has turned 18, so we’ll just get the refund for our youngest boy.

Well, I’ll catch you all tomorrow for my weekly weigh-in.

Good Afternoon everyone

Today is FD after a long weekend. Mr Q and I made it a 5 day long weekend so I have had extra time to ruin all my good work ha ha. Eating was pretty good, exercise was good but drinking part not so great. Oh well, back to it today

My failed fast day last week ended up being a CD which was ok with me. The food really helped my reflux and I haven’t had any since. Not sure how it works, but I have been drinking lots of water every day that we were away and eating normal food – nothing spicy. See how I go after today.

thin, the drive across the Nullabor was long lol. We had a camper trailer this time so it made it a lot better than just a tent. We only took 3 days to get across but they were big, big days of driving. We had a 400 litre fuel tank on the back of the ute so we were good for fuel and we took plenty of food/water supplies with us. We only really stopped for toilet and lunch break and then to sleep for the night. We preferred it that way as we only had a limited time off work and would rather spend that time in WA.
    Regarding my Wed FD being more difficult – I actually don’t over do it on Tuesday. I usually eat under my TDEE and its always healthy home made food. I don’t eat much sugar at all (except the girls here at work have this lolly jar and I have to walk past it several times a day. This is where I do get a little sugar fix I suppose but not every day).
    I’m starting to think that I don’t eat enough on Tuesday to get me through Wed. It’s a heavy weight training day on Tues so I could be just using more energy than I am taking in. Trouble is, that is how we lose weight. That’s ok, I have made it through Thursday FDs before, I just need to keep that horrible reflux away.
    Congrats on the 1.3kg loss!

Cali, keep your focus on that downward trend in your weight loss. It’s ok for it to be slow even though we get very frustrated with it sometimes. Your body could just be at a set point and it will take a bit to break through it. I truly believe that stress doesn’t help and I know it is difficult caring for your husband, but you can do this. Just keep going 🙂

Anzac, a swim in the pool sounds lovely. We went up the coast for the weekend where it was up to 30 degrees on some of the days. I had my first swim for the season in the river and it was a a bit cold but I got used to it fairly quickly. There was a lot of squealing until I did though as I’m a cold water wuss too lol
    Diverticulitis is a horrible condition. When I had my fruit and veg shop we had customers with it and they would tell me how painful it is. Some of them ended up in hospital at times. Not good. I have medication for the reflux too but I try not to take it. I don’t want to be dependent on it so I use it only when it just won’t go away.

Gday, your property sounds beautiful but I understand why you would want to move closer to where things are happening.
    Are you still doing keto? I read before that you eat in a four hour window which is amazing. Is that everyday? So would it be like a 2pm lunch and then 6pm dinner or do you sort of graze throughout the 4 hours? I’m just asking because I like to see how fasting works for everyone as we are all so different

Wow Neil! 300mm in 3 days is scary. This weather you are having is not getting me excited about coming over lol. You are doing great with your FDs and your NFDs. I bet your weigh in will show this tomorrow

Hi Suzy. Good to hear you are still around 🙂

I’m with you thin, I hope Cinque is ok.

Back to work. Hope everyone has a lovely day and look forward to reading all your posts xx

Morning all. At my weigh-in this morning I was down a whole kilo, for an overall loss of 6.5 kilos over the last 11 weeks. Still rocking along around the average of 600g a week or so. I think splitting my fast into three small meals helped. I wasn’t going to bed with a big meal in my belly.

Have a great one everyone.

Wow Neil that’s a lot of rain, struggling to get just a drop here. And weird weather in your region too Suzy. Why can’t we all just get a little bit of everything, excluding the bad stuff ☀️🌧️

Quacka yes my 4 hour window is everyday. I have 2 meals, no snacks, no grazing. I have recently shifted to a window of 10am to 2 pm, previously I was noon to 4 pm. I made the change so I have a larger gap between my last meal and bedtime as I go to sleep around 8.30-9pm.

My daughter also only eats 2 meals a day however her 2 meals are spread further apart and she will sometimes snack in between.

Yes I’m still keto.

Last night we had a birthday dinner to attend so my eating window was 3 to 7 pm. On Tuesdays we have weekly appointments in town, mid morning and late afternoon, so on tuesdays my window is a shorter window of noon to 3pm.

A meal for me is not always just one serve of a particular thing. For example, my first meal of the day could be 3 boiled eggs with one of my homemade keto bread rolls (they are small rolls) with mushrooms and spinach or kale from the garden. Then 20 mins later I will have a protein smoothie packed with lots of other nutritious goodies followed up with a small cup of mixed activated nuts and seeds. Then my second meal about 3 hours later could be a plate of mixed veg followed by organic yoghurt with fruit.

I’m very particular about each mealtime being protein rich, lots of good fats and fermented foods such as my homemade sauerkraut, kefir and kombucha.

I always have a smoothie every day as this is where I add what I call my ‘goodies’ which is psyllium husks,maca powder, spirulina powder, broken cell chlorella powder, organic turmeric powder and black peppercorns, egg protein powder, kefir, quark, kombucha, mct and flaxseed oil and I’ll add an avocado if I’m not having avocado in another meal of the day. Not really a smoothie as such as the avocado makes it a very thick mixture so I usually eat with a spoon rather than drinking it. I know a couple of these powders might seem weird to some of you but they are all there for a specific purpose. Fresh food choices where I live is limited to the rubbish that Coles and woolies provide so I have to get some of the essential nutrients into my diet via organic powders. I absolutely refuse to eat farmed fish or any animal protein that is not 100% organic and grass fed.

I do my one hour strength and cardio training either before my first meal or between my 2 meals. It depends on the day of the week and what I have on. But it’s always done before noon.

Oh daylight saving kicked in on the weekend, it throws my body clock out of whack big time for a week or 2 when it changes, everything feels wrong with time and I feel totally drained and out of sorts. I don’t get why daylight savings is necessary. Our body needs a constant pattern to function well and daylight savings does not contribute to that at all.

Ive prattled on enough, time for coffee. Have a great day everyone.

Hi everyone

Just a quick check in. FD went well yesterday and I’m almost back into the 77s. How on earth we can put on so much weight in a few days but it takes weeks to lose it is just beyond me!! lol

Neil, congrats on another kg gone. Boom! Hope you’re all doing ok after all that rain. I know it takes some time to recover from it.

Thanks G’day for such a detailed and interesting response x I have heard of all those powders except for the broken cell Chorella one. I think I have seen Chorella before, it comes from greens if I remember correctly. Your smoothie sounds really yummy. All your food sounds so yummy and healthy actually. I agree with you about the “fresh” produce they sell at the supermarkets. It’s not much better here either. So disappointing after owning a fruit and vege shop for 10 years and my parents having f & v shops all my life before that. I’m disgusted at what they try and pass off as fresh sometimes.
    I did keto for a while and really enjoyed the food and the weight loss that happened super quickly. I love cooking so it was fun to try all these new keto recipes. Some were flops but others were really good – I think you need to be very choosy about which sites you use.
    It takes a lot of commitment to keep at it and I admire you for being able to do that.

Back to work for me. Chat soon 🙂

Just a quick hello to say I have been busy and sore, my inflamed esophagus is not settling. Saw my doctor today and have stronger meds and an endoscopy planned. On grandma duty tomorrow but hope to do a proper catch up on Thursday. In the meantime sending all my best wishes.

Hello again, I had the days mixed up when I wrote, where did Tuesday go?

I have had some lovely times doing grandma things. The girls are 8 and 10 now and it makes for some lovely adventures and conversations. It is mostly easier looking after them now, Cali.

Just when I thought my esophagus was settling down, it did a big flare up, even my mouth. Ooh it ached. It seems to be settling down again now on double meds.

Cali, it is nice to have some weather in synch, even for a short time. It is a lovely day here today, I wish I had been outside more. I have callistemons in flower (one creamy yellow, the other dusky red) and roses out. Broad beans are being picked and lots of baby chard. I am busting to do more in the garden. Maybe tomorrow.

Well, I am just starting to catch up on posts, but I am going to stop already because I am going out this evening (I can’t think of the last time I went out in the evening) as my daughter and friends are going to see the film documentary of ‘Your Fat Friend’ which is playing in the next suburb, and I am going too.

They won’t be dressed up, and I won’t dress up either… but goodness it is tempting. I want to get some glad rags on.

I’ll miss dinner and I am pretty sure that makes this a fast day. An 800 cal day maybe.

See you soon

Quacka Spirulina and Broken Cell Chorella are both algae’s, both super nutritious with the latter having a lot higher nutrient value. I do enjoy my diet, just wish I had access to better fresh food options.

In the last month I’ve had 2 trips to Adelaide for appointments for Miss GDay. On the first trip I did a fresh food shop at the Adelaide Central Market and on the second trip a fresh food shop at a green grocers in North Adelaide – I was blown away but the freshness, the variety and the quality of the fruit and veg – I was in food heaven and so envious of those who have these food options available to them every day.

My grandparents were market gardeners in Mount Gambier and when they moved to my region when my mother was a small child they did the same here. My childhood memories are school holidays working on one of their many blocks of land. It was very hard work, 7 days a week in all weather, all organic, pulling weeds by hand and no machinery except a small rotary hoe. I was a fussy eater as a child so didn’t appreciate the produce unfortunately, wish I had access to the food they grew now.

Another short post.

Gday, how true it is that access to beautiful fresh vegetables is such a privilege. There are some really good markets around here, and even when lots of things are expensive, I can always find some wonderful produce at a low price. (It was asparagus last time I went shopping).

Happy Birthday to the birthday person!

I laughed at your scales going haywire story, hooray for new batteries.

And my heart went out to that remote property for sale, I want to live there!

I’ve been watching Hugh FW’s ‘Three Good Things’ series and have been influenced by it enough to make meals with three good ingredients. (Except then I did a bit of bulk cooking: lambshank stew and chicken and veg traybake, where I used everything from my fridge yum yum). But when I get back to making individual meals I will do the three ingredient thing again I think. It feels lovely and elegant.

Neil, all power to you with cycling and 5:2ing. You will soon get to the 100+ single digits. Spreading the calories out more does sound sensible, and it sounds like it suits you.

Here are your balloons and fireworks! https://c.tenor.com/EIA3v8WXB5IAAAAC/tenor.gif well, sparkles anyway 😀

Spring is fickle here too. Quite warm today. But not as fickle as your wet stormy craziness. I hope it is more settled now.

Cheers all

Quacka, glad you’ve worked out why your second FD seems harder. You seem to be thriving back on 5:2. If you’ve owned a fruit & veg shop, (or even if you hadn’t) I don’t think you’d be happy with the standard of produce sold in WA. When we first arrived (from California), we were so disappointed with the taste, texture and quality of fruit and veg. There are plenty of suitable growing areas in WA but most produce seems to come across the Nullarbor. I always had the impression that items such as onions had been frozen for the journey. Soggy onions are the result. A tomato had no taste whatsoever. There were farmers’ markets and so on but anything labelled ‘organic’ attracts a crazy price that can be hard to justify. If we’d had more land and not such fine, sandy soil, we’d have grown our own veggies. 26 years of composting didn’t improve the soil.

CalifD, how do you rate the quality of produce in California these days?

The taste of produce was much improved when we arrived in England. People don’t eat fruit and veg in season as they did when I grew up here; it’s all flown in from Europe and beyond year round. What’s striking about it is the amount of packaging. Absolutely everything comes in trays, covered with with plastic. At the extreme, we’ve seen peel hard boiled eggs in plastic containers, packaged peeled oranges – how lazy can you get?

GDSA, it’s not good to be locked out of the housing market in our capital cities. To what do you attribute that? We almost have the opposite problem with too many options, none of which appeal at the moment. There is no utopia. Over the years, we’ve ruled out a number of destinations long considered as having retirement potential. We can’t live on a boat forever but there’s just nowhere that really appeals. I’m basically a malcontent.

Enough moaning. Today’s a FD and that’s a good thing. I was going overboard with macadamia nuts which are so delicious. Now that I’ve checked the calories, that behaviour is getting modified drastically! It was a beautiful pink sunrise, aurora borealis was visible the other night. We’ve had four kingfisher sightings and a tawny owl was hovering above a field. Hard to beat.

P.S. Good morning Cinque, posting while I was taking a long time with mine.

Morning all

Looks like a B2B fast for the beginning of the week again. I didn’t go overboard on calories. As usual it was what I was eating. I went on a bit of a carb-a-thon. Had toast for lunch, pizza for dinner, and a muffin as a snack yesterday, Friday night it was the usual movie snacks, rum and coke, but I had a few glasses of softdrinks as well, which I don’t usually have. I’ll stick to fruit, veg and meat only for the next couple of days, and hope that will balance things out.

Thin, nothing worse than spending a fortune on fruit/veggies, and getting tasteless produce. I think a lot of it is many of the new varieties have been developed to look aesthetically pleasing rather than to taste good. We grow quite a bit, and the heirloom varieties of things like carrots and tomatoes definitely have the best flavour. I like trying a different variety of potato each year, we grow a row of an early potato like Rocket or Swift, and a row of a main crop like an Agria or Haylo, then an experimental row. This year I’m trying an older variety called “Whataroa” grown by Maori prior to European settlement in NZ. It has a mottled purple and cream skin. https://www.nichols.co.nz/Garden-Centre/Shop/Product-Details/Garden-Centre/Root-Vegetables/Morton-Smith-Dawe/Maori-Potatoes-Whataroa-1kg?ID=40333

Cinque, I really like Hugh FW’s programmes. River cottage, and all his experimental programmes like when he ate no meat for a whole summer, and his activism programmes as well.

Gday, I guess when you’re forced to do something, you tend to resent it. I hated gardening as a kid when my parents forced me to do it, and I didn’t like a lot of different veggies (I tended to stick to the tried-and-true carrots, cabbage, potato, peas, corn, and lettuce). Now I’m older, I love gardening and I’ll eat any veg I can get my hands on. I’m excited at the moment that we’re moving back into asparagus and avocado season.

Well have a good day everyone, Hopefully my fast today and tomorrow sees me keep my streak of losses on the scale.

Cinque where are you watching HFW 3 good things – is it free to air tv or a paid channel?

Thin, being locked out of the housing market in Adelaide for me is the same reason the majority of people are locked out – the average house price being $800, 000 to 1.5 million dollars. – unless you want to live in a dump in an undesirable suburb that is, then you only have to fork out a whopping $500,000. Even the average weekly rent on a nice property is higher than my entire weekly income. The world is certainly geared towards the affluent in our society, the not so affluent just keep getting pushed out. And sadly this doesn’t just apply to the property market nowadays.

Neil yes it’s funny how we dislike things as children but our attitudes change as we grow older. I too love gardening and will eat all veg, the exception being cucumbers, it’s not that I don’t like them they give me awful reflux. And tomato’s, I can eat sundried and everything made with tomatoes but can’t eat a fresh tomato, the texture makes me gag. Oh and beetroot (yes we’re back to our long-standing beetroot conversation everyone) I can’t deal with the purple juice staining everything else on the plate so I don’t eat it.

Time for my coffee brew, happy Monday everyone

I forgot to say that yesterday was the first time in 3 years I ate a piece of meat besides the very occasional piece of chicken or mince meat. Meat has been too expensive for my budget for a long time, and I’m not that fussed anyway if I don’t eat meat but I thought I’d try a piece for a change. I bought a small piece of organic grass fed scotch fillet ($15) and I must say I cooked it to perfection. A nice crust on the outside and pink and juicy on the inside with super crispy roast spuds, carrots, broccoli and gravy. It was delicious.

I had a rude shock at the supermarket last week at the checkout, $5.60 for a medium size red capsicum. So on my next visit I thought I would weigh my produce to get an idea of what it would cost and guess what, no customer scales in the fruit and veg section.

Speaking of weighing, I bought 8 x $500 gram bags of pepitas (pumpkin seeds) a few weeks back at the Adelaide Central Markets as I can’t buy them locally. Yesterday I made my keto crackers and when I was weighing the ingredients and used most of one packet I thought the amount left in the packet was odd compared to what I had taken out. So I weighed the 500g packets and every single one contained 440g of pepitas – 60g short in every single bag. I’ll be having words with that stakeholder next time I go to the markets and ask them to weigh anything prepackaged that I buy.

Now I definitely need that coffee 🤣🤣

Good morning Thin, Good morning everyone,

Thin, lovely wildlife!
    A double V of geese flew overhead when I was outside this morning, lovely to see them, and hear them.

I miss eating seasonally too. Actually, I do a lot, since what is in season is generally cheap and good quality. Of course we have been used to getting Queensland tropical veggies and fruit in Mediterranean climate Melbourne which I must say I am grateful for. But I do find it crazy to be eating mangoes from Mexico or avocados from California.

All the packaging appalls me too!

Neil, Oh dear those empty carbs. Best wishes for the next couple of days.

Yes, I have enjoyed everything I have seen Hugh FW do, mostly cooking, but including a wildlife series!

Gday, the Three Good Things series is being shown on SBS, I only noticed it last week so I caught up with the first 17 (!) episodes on SBS on Demand. Free!

I am so glad you enjoyed that perfectly cooked scotch fillet. A lovely treat.

Anzac, I hope you get some more really good fast days. Even when our weight loss stalls, there are still all the good health things going on.
    Hooray for first swim of the season!

Goodness, there are so many different ways to set off, experience, and control reflux! My inflammation seems to be slowly settling down. Phew.

SuzyQ Hooray for another kilo gone!

The bloating will be something to do with the gut bacteria trying to process your food.

If you are eating more high fibre stuff, there is a transition as the good bacteria that can deal with it grows into huge colonies. In the meantime, the other microbes do their best, but they just aren’t as good at it and this can cause bloating and pain.

Once the good bacteria, that deal with fibre efficiently, are in big enough numbers, there should be no more bloating and lots of other good health effects. It can be easier on your gut to introduce more veggies, beans etc gradually. Build up to a high fibre diet.

(If your amount of fibre hasn’t changed then I don’t have a clue what is going on 😀 )

Work and a ten year old is SO busy! Sending good wishes.

Quacka, good luck working out what makes your fast days easy and sustainable and not setting off that reflux. Bit of a worry if a packet of crackers is needed to sort out your reflux each time!

It is striking, how easily our body grabs those calories and stacks on extra fat, and how frugal, and consistent we need to be to avoid that.

But after that good documentary I saw the other night, the message is be kind to yourself and love your body for doing its very best. Keep as healthy as you can.

Best wishes to everyone now

Gday, 8x60g is pretty much an extra 500g bag, I’d demand a free one next time you’re back there.

Good Morning / Afternoon / Evening 😉 whatever time it is where you all are. Hope you are all doing well and having successful FD’s

Just a quick check in to say HI and good grief how quickly is this year flying by?
    FD’s were good last week. Doing Wed & Fri this week as we I have my Dad for dinner tomorrow – my usual FD and I have quite a day today with mini me , so I can see it would not work out well to do a FD today. I am learning to pick my battles with fast days. Its easier to be in a good space when doing them.

Thanks Cinque & Neil for the IBS info. I havent really made many changes on my non FD and I cant imagine my FD causing it but I do think that as we get older , our bodies start reacting differently to some foods – probably because of how food is manufactured or grown more than anything else these days. I also do love a bread roll or sandwich more for lunch boxes when the weather is cold – I cannot face salad in winter, so it could also have been that, as it was during a cold snap the carbs were preferable and I over did it .

Anyway, must do some work. Leaving work early today for the first of 3 dance festivals for Mini me. Have a good week all and happy FD’s .

Hi everyone

It’s Tuesday FD for me today. I didn’t fast yesterday as I had a visit to the dentist in the middle of the day and thought I was going to need something major done but it ended up being a clean and a plan for three crowns to come. $1700 each thank you very much.

It’s almost 1pm and so far so good

thin, you’re right about the produce in WA. There were a few nice things but mostly really hard to find decent produce. Also I couldn’t believe there was no fresh seafood – all frozen! And what??? A peeled egg in a packet! That sounds gross.

G’day – lucky you realised about the weights of those bags of Pepitas! Illegal and totally rude to rip people off like that. Hope you sort them out!

Cinque – hope that reflux settles soon. I’m thinking of you

Back to work for me. Take care xx

Hi Quacka, I’m joining you on a Tuesday fast. I skipped breakfast this time so I could eat a bigger lunch (I made a salad with chickpeas, feta, onion, beetroot and pickles)

As I posted before, I didn’t go overboard on calories this weekend, but those excess sugar and carbs always seem to make me retain a lot of water. I can see how much extra I’d be lugging to the scales by how much I’ve been weeing over the last two days of not eating any sugar or heavy carbs. I’m sure my workmates must think I’m either sick or wagging work.

Ouch on the dental work, it’s no wonder people avoid going to the dentists until it’s absolutely necessary with the amount they charge these days.

Quacka, with your new life that includes travel, have you considered dentai tourism?

The cost of dentistry was getting exorbitant in Perth and I had a very bad experience with a dentist. He claimed he’d been performing a root canal over three very expensive visits but it later came to light that he hadn’t even attempted it. This fraud and incompetence ultimately cost me my tooth and an unpleasant legal battle – just to get my money back, no punitive damages. The result was that I needed an implant at a quoted cost of $10,000.

The dentist got a slap on the wrist from the dentistry board and a written ‘caution’ against his name for three months – which they ‘forgot’ to post and I had to remind them about. Amazing how the body supposed to protect the public rallies around their own in the face of overwhelming and damming evidence – a bill for a root canal and an X-ray showing it wasn’t performed. By coincidence, the dentist that revealed all this told me that he’d spent many years ‘correcting that guy’s mistakes’.

A neighbour suggested a facility in Thailand. I was naturally skeptical but researched it thoroughly. The implant (involving two trips to Thailand) and a two week family holiday in Thailand cost us $3000. After that, our family travelled to Thailand for most of our dentistry – crowns, fillings, mouth guards, etc and we even planned Bangkok stopovers on other family holidays just to get our exam and cleanings done there.

I can’t recommend it highly enough. It’s a huge, modern, spotlessly clean, dedicated facility and every floor houses a speciality like crowns, implants, dentures, and so on. There’s even a hotel attached to it where you can stay for bed and breakfast. In my case, they wanted me staying close for four days after the procedure in case of complications. I was given strong medication for pain relief – but needed nothing.

Most of the dentists and specialists are trained in the US, England, Canada etc. If you need a specialist scan, you simply go to another floor and, when you get back, your dentist is already reading the results. (In Perth I needed a separate appointment across town and had to wait two weeks for the results, plus pay the dentist for another visit).

What sold me on it (after speaking to several Australians who’d been there) was the professional, detailed and prompt response I received when I made the initial enquiry. All the worst-case scenario costs are quoted ahead of time. I was given three cost options for materials used for my implant. They recommended that of the three implant visits needed, I should have the tooth extracted in Perth to save the airfare as the second stage can’t be done for six months after that. That gave me confidence that they weren’t just money-grabbing.

Most of their clients are foreigners travelling to Thailand to access the service. Every patient must pay a ‘sterilisation fee’ at every visit and packages for all dental instruments required are opened on your chest.

My implantologist is Canadian-trained. I’ve been very happy with the result. I realise I was coming from a very different perspective, one of utter shock and disgust at the profession and its governing body, whereas you’re just expressing dismay at the cost. But if you’re interested, I’ll give you the name and contact details of the facility and you can start your own research into it.

Morning all

Sorry Thin, but when I hear dentistry in Bangkok, my mind immediately jumps to “The Hangover” movie series.

I had my first bump on the scales in 3 months this morning. I was up 200g, but I’m not too worried about it. I’m assuming it’s just leftover from the excess softdrinks I had over the weekend. I’ll see how I get on next week before I start panicking.

Have a good one everyone

Good Morning everyone

Hi thin. Honestly, I have never even considered going to Thailand but have heard several good things about it. I guess the only reason is that I haven’t done any overseas travel before. I have two holidays booked so I hope that once I do them I will be more confident in going overseas and then I would definitely look into it. Would love you to give me the details please. It sounds like you had a very good experience so it’s good to hear from someone who has actually done it!
    That criminal dentist in Perth – well let’s just say I know what needs doing to him! Unbelievable that he thought he could get away with and then worse that the dental board were lax in doing anything about it. I hope he’s not still practising.

Yep Neil, don’t worry about the 200g. There are so may variables that affect our daily weight and one of the biggest is how much water we are retaining, all related to a million different things like our food and drink, our medications, the weather and even just sometimes I feel like our body just says I’m doing this today!

I had a good FD yesterday. I’m doing another one today so my first B2B since restarting 5:2. I don’t think it will be 500 cals but I’m hoping to stay under 700. That will be 500 for dinner and 200 for lunch. I can do it

Hope you all have a lovely day xx

I’m going to winge about the weather again, back to back days of 40 degrees here at the moment and in the lead up we’ve had 35 degree days for the last week. Air conditioning on all day and fans all night – unheard of for mid October. What’s it got to be like in January and February which is usually our scorching temperature months.

Good morning everyone from a very warm Melbourne with mad thunderstorms forecast.

Gday, sympathy for your weather, I am girding myself for a dreadful summer, but I am pretty sure a dreadful Melbourne summer will be easy compared to your area.

Suzy, yes! The year is flying by!

And yes, I also agree that our digestion changes as we age, getting less and less robust. We do need to enjoy how good it is at the moment as it is never likely to be any better!

And another thing I agree on is salads for summer! I find those salad vegetables so cooling, I don’t want them on cold days.

Enjoy the dance festivals!

Quacka, sympathy for the cost of the crowns, but I think that when I got mine they were more expensive and probably not as clever and long lasting as they make them now. (Before I had even heard of dental l tourism like Thin’s).

I hope your B2B fast day went as well as the first one. On a roll!

Neil, yes it sounds like a bump not to worry about. best wishes for a good week this week.

Best wishes everyone!

Afternoon all

I’m not sure what it was, perhaps the rare day of nice sunny weather, but I had a real burst of energy yesterday. I rode my bike to and from work, did half an hour of gardening after getting home, cooked dinner, then did another 90 minutes of gardening. Hopefully this keeps up.

It sounds like some of you are bracing for a very hot summer. We had our own little heatwave yesterday with the temperature reaching 19C. No coat!

Neil, you are doing SO well. It’s fantastic to read of your ongoing downward trajectory with so few bumps in the road. I had to look up, ‘The Hangover’ and noted that Bradley Cooper was in it. I’ve just seen a movie with him in – A Star Is Born. I really enjoyed it and before that, I didn’t even know what Lady Gaga looked like and I couldn’t name any of her songs. I’m so out of touch. I thought they were both very talented actors and singers.

A few months ago, I was recommending, ‘Colin From Accounts’. It’s an Australian series. I just wanted to say, don’t bother with series 2.

Quacka, B2B fasting! I’ve never tried it. I hope it goes well. Does your OH do any fasting?

That dentist is still practicing. He goes off the radar for a while and then pops up in another suburb. He trained in Perth and is now in his late fifties. The dentist that said he had fixed lots of his mistakes told me, ‘he’s a nice guy but he just shouldn’t be practicing dentistry’. That dentist ran for the hills when I needed someone to testify on my behalf. The name of the Thai facility is Bangkok International Dental Centre (BIDC). https://bangkokdentalcenter.com. I understand it’s a big leap but it’s always good to have options.

We watched Dr M’s, ‘Just One Thing’ the other night. It was about the benefits of a 30 second cold shower – or any cold water immersion. Has anyone tried that? It’s still so sad to think of his untimely death.

Viewing 28 posts - 28,301 through 28,328 (of 28,328 total)

You must be logged in to reply.