Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,912 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Intesha 23 hours, 12 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,651 through 1,700 (of 28,016 total)

• Thanks Bay, Ros and Violet
    So many other lovely veg and with a bloke who doesn’t even like the smell of cauliflower cooking!

Talking about chilhood food phobias….my mum used to give us apples to cure car sickness on our long family car trips to our grandparents on the coast. Up until 3 years ago I always felt car sick eating them. Then I discovered Pink Ladies and shared them with my granddaughter. Now I eat them often and almost enjoy them. Parents have such an influence on their children’s eating habits! P

Hello lovelies! Happy fast day for those doing Mondays.

I shake my head with all of your family food memories, it seems we grew up with these bad habits that keep dogging us, until we stop and take the time to closely examine them….once we see them for what truly they are, and how destructive they can be, we can the choose to try an entirely different bunch of habits around food, eating and nourishing ourselves.

I had a mother who absolutely hated cooking, and only knew how to burn lamb chops and turn every type of vegetable into a grey slimey sludge. Dad had his own demons, and insisted a plate of hot food on the table at 4.30, at which time he would literally demolish the plate in 5 seconds flat….after which he would scowl at us eating ‘too slowly’, and insist on getting the food into us faster, by shovelling it into our mouths himself. If we resisted, or weren’t hungry any longer, we would be lectured on the starving children in….Biafra, India, China, Bangladesh, etc, or his own hungry childhood during WW2 in Europe….and sadly this whole scenario would turn into tears and anguish for my sister and I every time. As we would be forced to finish every single molecule of food on the plate.

I still have those destructive memories, but they no longer rule my life and my eating habits.

I now love feeling nurtured, nourished and demonstrating to myself every day, just how much healthy delicious food is part of cherishing and enjoying my and my family’s life….not a chore, nor a race, but a way of acknowledging that I’m alive and loving it!

I love this forum, and the difference we make to each other!

Did we grow up in the same family, IHAW? 🙂 P

Morning All,

So interesting to share some of the ‘early conditioning’ stories. What learning challenges they present us with, and I think I mentioned that my experience tells me that failure is not on the agenda because we learn what we can when we may. Opportunities come around again to learn more about the same stuff but at new level with more wisdom each time – life is an upward spiral.

I love Pink Ladies and Fuji apples, Purple. And IHAW, I can imagine that meal times for your family were quite a struggle overall. I recall the ‘leave the plate clean’ rule and I used to eat all the stuff I didn’t like first (including sprouts) and leave the best until last. That meant that I was always feeling stuffed to the gills and got bigger and bigger. These days I eat what I like first and leave the rest if it’s too much.

Oh, and let’s not forget the b******y table manners. End-less-ly!!!! Why is the meal table so fraught for lots of young folks?

Hears a giggle. Y’know I said last night I’d be busy and happy on Monday Fast Day? Well, I got up very early and started MAKING BREAD! Two 1Kg loaves of sourdough spelt bread are proving in the kitchen. By tonight I will have the place smelling heavenly, can you believe this???

Ahem, it’s for tomorrow morning. Will report in. 😉 Enjoy the day.

Cheers,
    Ros.

Haha! Knowing my big mob, I’m sure we could easily be related…..sounds like I’m joking but I’m afraid, I’m not.

I know lots of other Aussie women who had equally sad stories from their childhood homes, as well as scary home economics teachers and attempting to break free from those strict rules and poor habits, to learn another way with food….I just want to thank all of the many waves of cultures, flavours and styles of food that have smashed through the bland, badly cooked stuff we inherited from jolly, old England, liberating our tastebuds from boredom, dullness and drudgery!

Cheers dearies!

Here here ihaveawaist! Hip hip hoorah to all the wonderful immigrants to this fabulous country. And the original mob who’s food we ignored for too long. Without these influences we’d still be eating burnt lamb chops and grey overcooked veg!
    I can smell your bread from here Ros. You must have amazing resolve 🙂 P

Hi Ros

I am in AWE that you can make bread on a fast day and not touch it when it comes out of the oven! I am about to have my poached egg and coffee. Then I am off to do some house cleaning.

That is one very useful trick I learnt from my mother. When you’re angry, sad, feeling deprived (of food !) or out of sorts, then using a great belt of energy on the garden or washing the floor and toilets etc is the weigh to go 🙂

IHAW, thank heavens for all the cultures who came here after the war, and brought their wonderful food. I was just explaining what a falafel was on another thread. I love all the Mediterranean people’s food plus Asian food. How lucky we are. 🙂

We were very lucky in that my Dad was interested in nutrition, and would only make us eat liver for the iron, which of course means I can’t stand it. Otherwise, we never had to finish our plates. In a family of six kids and very modest income, there were no leftovers.

Hi Purple

How sad for you with apples. I love Granny Smith apples and Pink Ladies. My grandchildren love them too. I’m encouraging the ones who get motion sick to eat them prior to the drive to the coast. They seem to work. So sorry about your experience. Looking at this thread, it seems to be the compulsion that destroys the appetite forever. 🙂 🙂 Glad we are all over that with 5:2. Happy fasting!

Bayleaf, you’re right about being busy helping with the fasting. I think it is partly diversion and partly that exercise tends to suppress appetite a bit too. I must add however, that the bread making was something of a mistake really. Yesterday,I had to feed ‘Gloria” which is the name of my sourdough starter – she’s three years old next month. Decided on the spur of the moment that I would put up some leaven for bread, not thinking that tomorrow would be Monday! Anyway, I tend not to be tempted on fast days because it’s just one day and I usually have meal plans for the following day.

BTW, your shopping spree sounds great. Isn’t it nice to buy things that are not only smaller, but made of lovely fabrics, like the silk shirt you bought. There are more shirts around at the moment which pleases me too. I’m so tired of the plastic elastic tops that make me feel as though I’m wearing a sausage skin. Gimme shirts every time. Bathers are on the list for me too.

Cheers,
    Ros.

I’m busy doing granny duty watching Playschool and building Duplo! Unfortunately miss 18 mths keeps asking for food! P

IHW wrote “badly cooked stuff we inherited from jolly old England” Try 12 years of boarding school starting as a 5 YO in the UK during the war. Breakfast sloppy porridge. Lunch Cod or Haddock cooked in its own juice with a plain slice of bread and a lettuce leaf. Dinner 1/4pint milk and fried bread with Marmite. To this day I don’t eat fish even though I’m a Fly Trout fisherman, too many bad memories.
    The last 3 years where at Geelong and saw me throw several hissiefits when I first arrived which ended up with with me having salads and cheese, no meat. God the food was awful.

Fast forward quite a few years and my beloved wife, in retrospect,I think was partly chosen because of the fact she had done the Cordon Bleu Cookery course! Our meals more than made up for all those 12 years of boarding school food.

Out of interest just rang an old school chum and asked was our school food that bad…YES it was.

Cheers,
    TIm.

Ah Tim, but it made you the man you are today;)
    I used to occasionally make food from my childhood (eg corned beef, mashed potato and white sauce) and give it to one of my kids and tell them “This is the food that made this country great.” as a joke and to get them to appreciate how lucky they were to be born in the late 20th century.
    Going well, all, on your fasts today? I’m cruising. P

Purple,glad your cruising. I need to plan and write down in my food dairy, before a late breakfast, what I am having for that fast day. This really helps keep me on track.

How you all manage families heaven knows.

To everyone,hope your fast day is successful and at the end of it do give yourself a pat on the back.
    Suggest no food rewards though!

Cheers,
    Tim.

Spot on Tim. I always used to record my fast day eating. Kept me honest with myself and gave me a ready reference months later for foods that worked.

I survived the granddaughter’s eating and am ironing and listening to the radio. If you knew me, I HATE ironing, so you know it is a food avoiding activity.
    Nothing but tea and coffee so far…. P

Hi all

Purple, glad you’re cruising.

Tim, what awful food you had to endure! Not surprised you can’t cope with fish after that experience.

Just over an hour to home time for me and another fast day bites the dust. Intermittently hungry – correlates with boredom over analyzing data but breaking it up with short brisk trips up and down stairs and lots of tea. Discovered an ancient jar of Bonox at the back of the kitchen drawer (use by Dec 2000) but good thing is only 6 calories/8g serve so have had two today. Made the mistake last Wednesday of freezing leftover miracle noodles and they were like thin slices of thong in texture. Don’t be tempted!

Take heart Monday fasters, only a few hours to dinner, bed and tomorrow’s (relative) feast! Nicky

Wow folks! I go away for a weekend (of gluttony) and I have a lot to catch up on!! I’ve enjoyed reading the posts on habits picked up in childhood. Fortunately my mum is a great cook, and tried to make the most of everything (even if it was chokos), but we definitely had the “finish your plate” mentality. My mum is also a “food pusher”, so it is very difficult, even now, to say “thanks, but no”, particularly since we see each other rarely, and there is a celebratory aspect to our visits.
    My airport reading was a book on habits, recommended in another thread. It’s called “The Power of Habit – Why we do what we do in Life and Business” by Charles Duhigg if anyone’s interested. I’m only 1/3 through but there’s plenty of food for thought so far.

Hi Bay,

You’ll be pleased to know that other nationalities and cultures also made it to the UK in the post war years, and our food is no longer the gruel of many people’s youthful memories! We even have falafel over here now….!! Although sometimes made with broad beans and not chick peas….

It’s an excellent read, I downloaded it off I-books, it’s a very interesting read for those of us who want to learn new improved habits to replace those bad ones! Well written with heaps of real life examples.

Thanks MM
    I’ll have to read it. Changing habits is the key to bodily and mental health.
    Poor Nicky…rubber noodles! I freeze the food without the noodles. I’m making our fast dinner with Shiritaki noodles, blue eyed trevalla cut into little cubes, marinated in a little soy and grated ginger root. Cook some slices of ginger root in a hot wok (with a tiny spray of oil), add the fish, spring onions, celery cut into moon shapes, long red chillies sliced through with seeds, a little stock. I also sometimes add sliced fennel and capsicum too. Toss vigorously with a wok tool to stop it sticking. Prepared the Shiritaki noodles (rinse well) and toss in. Toast some unsalted cashews and add last minute.
    This all takes a very short time and is delicious. I’m not doing a cal count as it depends on how much you use, but as we have eaten nothing today we can go wild!!! 😉
    Cheers Purple

Oooh! Purple, I love your recipes. Can’t wait to try this one on Thursday. And you ironed while I shopped, then cleaned house. All good diversionary activity. 🙂

Hi Happy, I do know that the English have adopted Indian food, amongst others. When we visit my brother near Oxford, we go to a very good Indian restaurant in Woodstock. B

Hi Ros, Good luck with the bathers. I had a little moan on the LOACA thread about not being able to get swimwear that fit me, looked attractive to my eyes, and was still decent!

Hi all, I’ve just done my first fast day … freaking out a little bit here! I was really busy at work all day (I teach 8/9 year olds!) and managed the day pretty well I thought. But despite being really tired, I’ve had a horrible sleep and now awake at 2am and I had a piece of toast with marmite on … obviously not great 🙁 any suggestions/help from others who had trouble sleeping. I don’t normally have any trouble sleeping … I guess I made it through the 24 hours mark but not the 36 …

Hi all, my first post and no fast as yet. My first will be Thursday so I can sync with most of you here. Until then I’ll be reading and preparing for the big day :))

Welcome tannitootoo and jeni
    tanni, did you eat anything before you went to bed?

Most people find they take a while to get used to the hyperalertness of fasting. We evolved to be alert when hungry. Eating the bulk of your fast day calories in the evening aids sleep.
    I also used to teach little people and always found I was desperately hungry after school and terribly tired. The trick I found, oddly enough, was to keep busy by raking leaves or sweeping to get over the ‘tiredness hump’ before dinner. Don’t sit down! 🙂 It does get easier and is life changing!
    All the best to both of you. PVE

Hi everybody, and hello to the new fasters!

Tantitootoo, I get the same kind of high energy/sleeplessness occasionally when I have a fast day. I find that if I have a cup of warm milk and a warm bath before bed, I sleep much better.

Doc Mosley had a similar thing happen to him and thinks it’s something to do with our body’s ancestral memory, which goes on high alert, to search for more food when hunger strikes. Because in the not-so-distant past, our relatives would only be hungry if there was some sort of famine or severe shortage of food, and our minds and bodies react, by putting more energy into finding/searching out a new source of sustenance.

The main thing with being wide awake at night, is to not panic and even use that time to read or write a plan, before getting sleepy again and tucking yourself back under the doona, to get some more shut-eye.

Cheers my dears!

Hi fellow fasters….another fast day accomplished! Talking about sleep, i had the most incredible sleep last night – as time goes on, am actually finding i sleep a lot better when i’ve been on a fasting day. If i’m a little peckish before bed, always find a couple of tablespoons of plain probiotic yoghurt helps with the hunger.
    Last night’s dinner was a soup i’d made already and lunch was a salad high in protein.
    Lately i’ve reverted a little bit as far as my alcohol intake goes – this is one of my main problems as far as losing weight goes….in the first 3 months did pretty well losing 3 and something kgs, but lately must be other things that are happening in my life that have made me revert back to old patterns. Some people overeat, i overdrink.
    But all in all feel positive about my fasting and diet at the moment and looking forward to weigh in on Thursday.
    Happy Fasting!

Good on you Patsy
    But why not buy some scales and get instant feedback and gratification? Record your daily weights and watch the enlightening tends. Have a healthy eating day today. Cheers PVE

Hi I am Jan from sunny Mauritius. I have just completed my first fast day yesterday ! so proud of myself. …roll on Thursday for day two.

Hi all, I am Jan from sunny Mauritius…finished my first fast day yesterday ..very proud of myself. Roll on Thursday for day 2.

Oops! I’ve been awake since 3am – nodded off around 6am but had to get up soon after that.
    I made the mistake yesterday of being beguiled into eating my meal at midday instead of at night.
    I just had a mug of miso soup at night before bed.
    Never again! I forgot about the ‘starvation alertness’ but your posts have jogged my memory. Thanks.
    Also welcome newbies. I have been going for six weeks and while I am still a bit apprehensive approaching fast days, I really enjoy them as I feel light, energetic and when I hit the scales next morning, quite smug. You will too.
    Of course I regain some of the weight on my non-fast days, but overall it is going down.
    I am learning that I am in charge and food no longer controls me. Experiencing hunger on fast days is teaching me to listen to my body. No hunger, no food.
    I will build in regular fast days as a maintenance procedure to not only stabilise my weight, but maintain the health benefits and this new-found energy.

oooh yeah, Bayleaf. The gardening does the exercise thing for me and the weeds are demanding attention!!
    Ros.

Hi Jan, take it easily and you’ll be right. Lots of encouragement here, and some good shared experience to dig into as well.

Mamaleish, your comment is interesting to me because I rarely if ever have sleep problems – only if I’m worrying about something and I’m mulling over solutions. What you help me to realise is that I tend to have my main meal at night and usually feel quite full at bedtime. I’m off to sleep in ten minutes or so. And by the way, when something is nagging me, I usually get up and tussle with it on paper. That anchors the highly innovative thoughts I’ve just had in the darkness 😉 and gives me a head start in the morning.

Now, about the bread-making busy work yesterday. I said I would report in.

It was just gorgeous bread (though I say so myself) and as I was cutting up half of each loaf for freezing, I just had to taste some. It was as good as usual, but then one can never tell – tasting is the only way to know for certain. That pushed my 500 calories to 600 but ho-hum, today is another day, Thursday is another Fast.

Interesting thing about weight. My weight is static at the moment, roughly where I want it, but I’m changing shape with exercise. A few people think I’m still losing Kgs but muscle weighs more than fat so there’s a lot of shifting going on with Pilates twice a week and some home exercise.

Smiles,
    Ros.

Hi everyone

Welcome Jan from sunny Mauritius! We are a friendly and supportive bunch. You will no doubt have picked up from the discussion on the threads that this way of life/eating (also referred to as WOL/WOE) has significant health benefits and in many ways, weight loss is an added bonus.

It’s also important to remember that despite the name ‘Fast Diet’ it is not a quick loss regime, but occasional food restriction. If you haven’t done so already, I strongly recommend you read Dr Mosley’s book which explains the science behind it in a very readable style.

Day 1 this week bit the dust yesterday 30C short of my allowance. Very hungry and tired when I got home from work but resisted the siren call of the roasted cashews jar on the coffee table and waited until 7pm for grilled tomato and small steak with salad greens for dinner. Noted Purple’s hometime strategy and folded up and put away all aired washing before starting dinner preparations.

Slept very well with 100g lean protein in my previously rumbling tummy.

Hi all and Welcome Jan,

Fasted yesterday with no problems, as I had an egg and coffee for breakfast, lots of water, and then 400 calories for dinner that included protein and vegetables. I kept busy during the day and I usually sleep well after a fast day. We are all different. 🙂 woke up this morning and weighed in at 59 kg. haven’t been under 60 kg for 25 years. Weeehoo!!

IHAW, I danced around the house. 🙂

In my own way, I have experimented with fewer calories and felt awful the next day. As I have lost 18 kgs and 2 dress sizes without doing any more than is set out in the 5:2 book, that’s it for me.

Thank you Dr Mosley. 🙂

Hi Ros

Looking back over my weight loss, each time I had good weight loss, there was a plateau afterwards where my shape kept changing. In fact I had more pleasure out of the shape change than out of the weight loss. 🙂 so I never became unhappy with the plateau. Just kept on truckin’ as they say. 🙂

So glad the bread tasted as well as it smelled from here. Hehe!

Hi Bayleaf, what a fantastic achievement – such good work!

Wonderful ratification of Dr M’s regime. Sometimes it’s tempting to over-complicate things when in essence it’s so easy – 2 days of <25% TDEE and 5 days of up to TDEE, no more no less.

Little wonder you danced around the house. I too haven’t seen anything below 60kg in nearly 20 years so you have further reinforced my resolve and confirmed that my ambition to return to that ‘country’ is realistic.

Again, well done.

Bay leaf, I’m dancing in celebration with you!

Also because I scored some fab new clothes at the op shop this morning and I’m flouncing around the house in my new orange print skirt…which looks amazing, even if I say so myself……and dossie-doe your partners, swing that lady round and round and step to the right and follow behind…..

SORRY! Sorry just couldn’t help self….felt a little like a square-dancing spirit of decades past just took me over for a moment!

Happy dancing everyone!

Such a beautiful ecstatic dance of joy ihaw! I wonder if Bay is doing it on the plane home?
    Bayleaf you are an inspiration to all of us. Can’t wait until you post the shots of your new clothes; ) P

Having a chortle here – I think we’re so funny and joyful. Think I’ll indulge in a little snappy tango. 🙂 ROFL
    Ros.

Well done Bayleaf! What an achievement!
    Nice dancin’ IHAW 🙂
    Welcome Newbies.

Hi everyone, you band of happy clappers. What a nice feeling one gets from just reading
    the posts its that that makes it all so enjoyable. I agree its not just about weight loss
    and for me more importanly finding the unexpected ” Well Being ” that results.

Ros really admire your having a 3 year old starter, gave it up because I was eating too much freshly baked bread. Nothing like a newly baked piece of warm crust lathered with butter. Still have the tins.

My first day on WOL TDEE and got quite a shock switching from counting carbos to cals, just one example my daily salad lunch was 2 carbos and I thought perfect for weight loss but counting cals it comes in at 570 and thats without the Goats cheese! Nearly the whole of my fast day allowance.
    Pity about the avocado and Goats cheese.

Must admit I would have liked the 2 fast diet cook books to have included the nutrition data as
    I,m not so hot on those values.

Cheers,
    Tim.

Hey Bayleaf, you’ve done so well!
    I am also under 60 (kgs, not years!), which is the lowest I’ve been since my early teens, apart from a bout of illness 26 years ago.
    Very interested in your comment on muscle weighing more than fat.
    26 years ago when I was at this weight, I measured much less and probably would have been a size 10. Now I measure more and take a size 12 (not to be sneezed at, I was once size 18), despite weighing a bit less.
    I think my motivation now must be picking up weights and lacing up my runners and exercising more to get the fat-muscle balance back again.
    Or maybe I just turn up the music and dance!

Tim, buy Kate Harrison’s 5:2 Recipe Book from Booktopia online. They are a local Sydney online book company. I use them often. The book has a really comprehensive, user friendly list of everyday foods. It is great for the home cook to calculate calories in recipes. I use it all the time.
    Keep up the excellent progress. P 🙂

Hi Purple, I also buy from Booktopia.com.au. They are very quick to supply and it is where I bought all the 5:2 books, as well as light crime fiction novels. 🙂

Confession time, fellow SH’ers. Have only seen the magic number under 60 kg on Tuesday morning, the day after my fast. However, once seen I know it’s within reach. Thank you for all your support. 🙂 I reckon I will be there within 10 days.

It reinforces my usual practice. Usually, I don’t claim a weight loss, if I haven’t been that weight for a week. I just got carried away with joy! And had a rush of blood to the head. Hehe! Fast day tomorrow. 🙂

Hi Mamaleish

Yes, I think you’re on to something with muscle v fat. In my 30s and early 40s I ran five days a week, walked or cycled to work, plus went orienteering or bush walking at the weekends. I was fairly fit and weighed 57 kg at my lowest. However, in those days, people thought I was too scrawny around the face. I now walk each day and golf and garden, so far less strenuous but sustainable. 🙂 good luck with the training.

IHAW, loved the image of you square dancing. Your skirt sounds such fun! Go girl, go! B

Yeah, you should have seen the look on my poor husband’s face! It was priceless!

Speaking of exercise, i feel particularly virtuous today because i ran 5 and a half km this morning, even though it’s a fast day. Feel wonderful now! Hopefully can make it through til dinner okay.
    Good work bayleaf! Can’t imagine what it’s like to be under 60 kg….

Viewing 50 posts - 1,651 through 1,700 (of 28,016 total)

You must be logged in to reply.