Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,904 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Lindsay L. 5 hours, 42 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 16,201 through 16,250 (of 28,008 total)

• Hi again!

Thank you for all your comments re:LCHF diet. Also Cinque for the informative link and recipe link.
    I know for the long term we shouldn’t be too strict or we’ll never be happy or sustainable! Probably if we could cut out the simple, refined carbs, our health would definitely be so much better. Maybe an occasional treat verses weekly treats would be a good compromise!
    I think it was in ‘The Magic Pill’ video:
    “If it hasn’t swam in our water, if it hasn’t walked on our Earth, if it hasn’t been grown in our own garden – don’t eat it”
    Sounds good in theory, putting it into our WOE can be a little difficult!
    Guess I’ll just have to do what gives me better health, empowerment, with weight loss as a bonus. There are things I still need to work on – easily tempted ~ 7pm to snack on simple carbs, so much easier to not have them in the pantry! Also need to increase exercise habits! I’m much better health wise, and a bit lighter now, than 8 months ago, so overall pleased with where I’m at.
    Thank you for being such a supportive group – means a lot!

Bye for now!

Checking in. Two pounds down from last Monday.

The conversation about carbs has been interesting. Over the weekend whilst grandchild sitting I found in the bookcase a book by one of Cinque’s darling twin doctors. A first section very similar to the content of the TV programme, presented in a very common sense manner. Then a series of menus featuring three or two day meal regimes, with a passing and approving reference to both 16:8 hour eating and 5:2. Some of the meals look good, appearing to pass the healthy and tasty test.

Good morning SHs

LittleMe, If you prefer an online site rather than an app you can use these:
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calorie-chart-nutrition-facts
    http://www.calorieking.com.au/
    If you use “myfitnesspal” just be aware that their volume measures (eg a cup or a tablespoon) are American and are smaller than Australian measurements. You can rely on the data given in grams or millilitres. The risk of relying on volume measurements is that you’ll underestimate the quantity eaten and the calories consumed.
    The “calorieking” site is Australian so volume measurements listed can also be used. It has a lot of known Australian brand or you can use the “average all brands” data.
    If you use a food that has a nutrition label on the back (eg bottled salad dressing) then use the calorie information on that bottle/container as it will always be more reliable than any general data in a calorie counter app or website.

I was kept awake by the heavy rain last night. It reminded me of growing in a house with a corrugated iron roof where the sound of rain is very noticeable. I’ve just moved from a tiled roof to a colourbond roof home and the rain was really loud last night. It is a sound I enjoy though. The heavy rain has changed my mind about heading to Ikea to buy some furniture for the lounge room today. I don’t fancy trying to get boxes into my car by myself, in the rain. It can wait until later in the week – I have an offer of help if I wait until Thursday afternoon so I might do that.

Yesterday was a FD and I was reasonably happy with my mindset on the “cheesecake tasting” NFD on Sunday. I did have 2 pieces of cheesecake at brunch but in the afternoon when my best friend arrived for afternoon tea I just had a cup of tea as I realised I didn’t want any more rich baked foods. I also scaled back dinner as I focused on my lack of appetite. I made a big pot of hearty veggie soup with lentils and barley yesterday and a large bowl of that was dinner. I’ve managed to put 3 containers of it in the freezer for future FDs.
    NFD today – not hungry yet so I’ve just had 2 cups of tea so far. I’m planning almost entirely meals that contain some legumes over the next week as they’ve been missing for the last fortnight and I think those gut bugs need more food to build their numbers up again. Time to starve the sugar loving bugs.

Hope you are all going well. Congrats to those who’ve lost some weight.

PS – on the carb question, my body does well with the quality high fibre carbs and not well with the processed carbs that convert quickly into sugars. However I have tried high fat and high protein diets and don’t do well on them either. I can’t digest a high fat diet as I have no gall bladder and while I lose weight on high protein diets I feel unwell and my IBS symptoms flare up due to the lack of fibre. After experimenting with lots of ways of eating I discovered that a balanced diet that is high in fibre works best for my body. I have also come to realise that the quality of the food (eg whole foods rather than processed) and lots of plants, matters more to my digestive system staying healthy, than whether something is carb/protein etc.
    However that said, I do know someone who is a type 2 diabetic for whom a low carb diet seems to be the one that best manages that health issue, so I think there are different eating patterns for good health that are right for different people. It’s a question of working out what makes you personally feel healthier and best manages any health issues that you have. It doesn’t surprise me that the answer to that is going to be a little different for each of us.

Ha Penguin, I want to read that book! Dr Xand spoke about it when I saw them and it does keep popping up on his twitter feed with lots of comments about how good and commonsense it is. (presuming you mean this one http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaa2tdAimZ0WkDZIGb_mxUGhYfbhG9APhH7qQTb–Wy57WtyVE)
    Interestingly he had put on quite a bit of weight when I saw him and came out in his boxer shorts to make it extra obvious. He admitted that he doesn’t do well staying in hotels and with a busy schedule of shows and all that goes with it. He was able to lose the excess weight again I notice from recent pictures.

Arelkade, not having the things you don’t want to eat in the house must be the best step one ever. Congratulations for feeling good about where you are, and journeying on to get even better.

Stay, isn’t it going quickly for your daughters new home! And doesn’t a house feel crowded with extras in it. You’ll all be enjoying the space and then making the most of the last few weeks under the same roof, until they can move into their own home.

I had to laugh when you spoke about taking in clothes because my best trousers are feeling a bit tight and that is part of why I took stock and decided to make some changes with the amount of food I am eating. I was glad of the new pair of trousers but they were slipping down. Opshop ones, so no loss if I messed up the alteration. I think I did it right though, yippee and they are nice and warm. But I am keeping on wearing the tight ones as they make me think twice about eating anything!

I am very pleased with my mindfulness around food yesterday and am doing my best to do the same today. I am hoping to sit in the sun for more vitamin D therapy but it is thick grey cloud today. 🙁

My computer started off shockingly slow again today but when I turned it off without letting it shut itself down, it then started up properly. Hooray. I’ve already been working on that business plan!

Better get back to it.
    Best wishes for a good day.

Morning all, posts are running across two pages so I shall have to try and recall what was said on the previous one.

Arel, I can’t help with ‘diet’ advice as, other than my own starvation diets where I lost substantial amounts of weight eventually re-gaining it all back and more, I have never been on any ‘diet’. Unless 5:2 is counted as a diet but I think not. I’m pleased that you’ve found the thread helpful and we enjoy having you here too. Here’s to feeling healthier than 8 months ago.

Cinque, you are multi-talented and keeping very busy by the sounds of it. Those pants seem to be serving as a good reminder of what and how to eat.

Stay, exciting times for your DD.

PJ, rain on a tin roof – fabulous. I miss that with a tiled roof but, with OH’s snoring, I have to wear ear plugs anyway.

LittleMe, I never ate salad when I was losing weight on 5:2 because I couldn’t be bothered with all that calorie counting. The fewer ingredients, the less hassle and greater likelihood of accuracy I find. CharliesMum once gave me this though which I’ve saved and might be of help:
    Salad = 58
    baby spinach 25g (5 cal)
    1/8 of avocado (29)
    1/2 tomato (7)
    1/4 carrot (15)
    1 slice raw mushroom (2)
    splash of balsamic (2)

Hello everyone else, if you posted on the previous page, I might have forgotten what was said. Ah, Cinque, thanks for asking about DD. It took two days of travel to reach the remote hill station and was a bit of a culture shock; bed like a brick and a bucket of cold water for a shower but lots of delicious home-cooked curries. She found out on arrival that her job comprises teaching surgery techniques to the newly qualified Indian vets who don’t learn how to sterilise at uni. She’s very excited.

Cinque. Thats the one.

Just a quick question – how did you decide what weight to aim for – BMI or other indicator?

Good morning everyone from cold grey Melbourne,
    I had a bad day yesterday. I think I expected a good day (getting lots of things done) and it wasn’t, so I got all self destructive and overate. You’d think that at 60 years old I could be a bit more adult about life! Oh well, it is a new day and I can fast! So I’m your fast buddy today Thin. I have my shiitake and yuba soaking and I am meeting a friend this afternoon at a cafe so that will make the day even more special.

So glad to hear of DD in India, even if she has been thrown in the deep end she is obviously the right person for the job.

Sybs, I think your question is for Thin, but when I started on 5:2 I wanted to get down to 60kg and I was fascinated at how I just kept going. I sit naturally at around 50 to 52kg and it was 5:2 and my body who worked it about between them. And there it is, nicely at the lower end of my healthy BMI range.

Cheers to everyone. I’ve been hearing scientists talk about how, on a universal level, time isn’t an actual thing. But how grateful I am to live in time and have a new day ahead of me.

LJ, congrats on getting to the point of not needing to eat more cheesecake after having 2 slices earlier for the tasting. Having only tea while others indulged is a huge step forward. The old way of thinking would have us finishing up ALL of the cheesecake so we wouldn’t have to be tempted by it the following day! (Yes, I still have that mentality sometimes, but I am learning that the freezer is my friend.)

LJ, I was looking for a card for you and couldn’t resist a couple of these:

https://bettieconfetti.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/BC136-Unsecured-Wifi-UK.jpg

https://img.etsystatic.com/il/23755f/1276718678/il_340x270.1276718678_m73x.jpg?version=1

http://saleveiling.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/New-Home-Ochre-Teacup-main.jpg

The colourbond roofs look cool. I love the sound of rain on the roof too. Is there some kind of insulation so it doesn’t get too hot in the summer? This house has an attic and tiles so we don’t hear the rain. I’ve seen similar roofs in Sacramento and always liked the different colors that are available. They would be good in this area because of wildfires. (What you call bush fires.)

He he, CalifD, I like those cards. Yes, the freezer is our friend. Preserving those temptations for another day when we probably won’t want them!

Great Cinque, sorry to read about what led you to fasting today but very glad you’re with me. I woke thinking I’m growing tired of miso soup and must start making alternatives for my FDs. But there are miso leftovers from Sunday so it’s all decided for me.

Sybs, I hadn’t realised that question was for me but Cinque’s answer could have been written by me. I never had a goal weight when I started 5:2; I just wanted to shed 10kgs. I found it all so easy that I just kept going. After a lengthy plateau, I made a decision to call it maintenance. And like Cinque says, there was the perfect BMI to greet me.

Earlier this year, I had the Inbody scan (measuring visceral fat) on Minka’s recommendation and it cheekily indicated that, at 61kg, I was 2 kgs over my ideal weight. So I lost another 2kgs but have settled back up at 59-60kgs so I feel this is where my body wants to be.

thanks Cinque – actually it was a “free for all” question – I am interested in learning more about how people think about their weight and subsequent weight goals when deciding to slim down

Cinque, sorry to hear you had a bad day. If it’s any consolation, I’m 69 and often still refuse to act like an adult. I still pout and throw tantrums, but 99% them are in my own head. (Which is probably why I have to take meds for high blood pressure.) I think acting like an adult is way overrated and I only do it when absolutely necessary, like for job related things. 😗 https://secure.img1-fg.wfcdn.com/im/32002600/resize-h800%5Ecompr-r85/3273/32736581/Don%2527t+Grow+Up%252C+It%2527s+a+Trap+Paper+Print.jpg

Thin, you daughter must be having a very interesting time in India. What a great experience for her.

Thin – you posted at the same time as I did, and we are having an FD together as well :-)) I have just started making a pumpkin soup. Plus Coles had cauliflower for $2.50 / head, so of course I bought one. Luckily the freezer compartment of my fridge can handle a few containers for FDs.

Ooh lovely Cali, let’s have our virtual house warming party for LJoyce!
    I love those cards.
    I have two offerings:

https://cdn.notonthehighstreet.com/system/product_images/images/001/144/740/original_enjoy-your-new-plaice-new-home-card.jpg

http://cdn.supadupa.me/shop/7666/images/2116167/buy_rabbit_and_teapot_new_home_cards_online_welcome_to_your_new_house_card_grande.jpeg

I also wanted to say how much I love the sound of rain on the roof. So comforting to be warm and snug inside, but in touch with what is happening out there.

Cali, that is a good point about not acting grown up. I like my childlike behaviour to be fun and spontaneous, but preferably not self destructive!

Sybs, hello fast buddy. I’ll be interested to read more answers to that question of yours!

Great Sybs, the more the merrier. Cauliflower is $5 a head in our Coles. I have a freezer stash but need to make more so that, when I get back from our short trip, there will be stock awaiting me. Are you still happy with your 4:3 regime?

PJ, are you getting back in the swing? Have you remembered your new bin collection days without having to make a driveway dash in your PJs? Virtual pots of tea are arriving from Cinque and CalifD. I expect to be drinking a lot of properly made tea in Sri Lanka. I’ve been reading the history. I’d always equated Lipton tea with America. But Sir Thomas Lipton was a Scot.

CalifD, are you feeling back to ‘normal’? Will you retire soon so that you need never act like an adult again? What are you watching on Netflix these days?

Thanks for the DD comments. We got a Whatsapp call this morning at 12.15am (sorry mum, I forgot about the time difference). She’d just finished work for the day, 9ish, having extracted 19 teeth and performed a castration. The power was out at the accomm. and it was drizzly and damp, squatting on the side of the road trying to pick up some wifi signals from the vet centre to call home. But enjoying every minute!

Thin – DD sounds extremely busy – but what an amazing experience! I have a vet friend here in Cairns, and she goes up to Cape York communities on a regular basis. There is a 2 hours time difference between Perth and Bali -> Cairns, so I frequently get phone calls when I am just about ready to go to bed, and usually it means that I have to turn the computer on again, to check out something or other.
    I love 4:3, it’s so easy, 1 on 1 off, finishing with 2 off Saturday and Sunday. When things get a little challenging, I just keep repeating “it’s only for 1 day” until the urge for a snack is gone :-)) I guess we all work out our own “crutches” to support us.

Good morning SHs

Cinque & Cali, thank you for the cards.
    You aren’t alone in childish or uncontrolled behaviours occasionally, especially when it comes to food. I’m guilty of that too. I’ve assumed it’s because someof those food behavious actually date from childhood.
    Cali, I also tend to get much more irate in my head than I ever vocalise.

Thin, sounds like your daughter has some challenges but is taking it all in her stride. She sounds like a really self assured young woman who sees challenges as opportunities. An attitude that will really help her throughout her life.

Hello to Ariel, Stay, Sybs, Gdsa, Penguin, Littleme, Merry, Joffy and anyone else who’s reading. I’m finding it difficult to scroll back on my tiny phone screen while trying to type so I’m only responding to a couple of post at a time until I can freely use my laptop again.

It’s a controlled NFD day for me. I’m trying to eat just fruit and perhaps a cup of soup through the day and then dinner. Similar approach to a FD but without concern for the calories in my food choices. I have a busy afternoon of appointments which will helpfully keep me away from the fridge and pantry.

Hope those of you fasting have an easy day.

Thin, My blood pressure is still up and down, probably a lot to do with the blood pressure meds that they can’t switch too quickly. But I’m mostly feeling good, just have to be aware and stay calm. I’m still on medical leave from work, so that eliviates some of the stress. I’ve been doing my weekly fasts for the past couple weeks and was at 59.5 this morning. With the weather getting hot now, I feel less hungry. Something about cold rainy weather and hunkering down and eating I guess.

I bought a large head of cauliflower for $1.98 a couple days ago. Normally it’s $2,98 or $3.98. I can’t remember the last time it was this low. I wish I had more space in my frig!

In case any of you ever doubt the value of national health care that you have there, I received an unbelievable bill yesterday from the ambulance company. After my husband drove me to the hospital and I walked in, they did a scan and decided I needed to be transferred to their neurological unit which is about 18 km away. They would not let my husband drive me because I had already been admitted. Nor did I have any choice about the ambiance company they contracted with. Uneventful trip, no sirens or flashing lights. The bill was $10,600. I couldn’t believe it. In my wildest dreams I could not imagine how they came to that figure. Have they never heard of Uber? Fortunately Medicare (which I pay monthly premiums for) will probably pick up most of it. But if I had private insurance or no insurance, would be stuck with all or a much larger amount. Doing research on the Internet I find this isn’t at all unusual in the United States. Don’t ever take your national health care for granted.

That’s outrageous CalifD. We have ambulance cover and were very grateful for it as OH and I have both had a ride in one and seen the respective bills. Also a few years ago, OH was going to be working in Africa and first had to do some training in the US for which his new employer would be providing health and other cover so we didn’t purchase anything extra. On the stopover before reaching the new employer, he was taken ill requiring one night in an Oregon hospital. The bill for the hospital stay alone (excluding the cardiologist’s bill and tests) was USD12K. It’s madness, isn’t it? But it’s not unique to the US; we have specialists here charging obscene amounts of money for medical services. The crazy thing about health insurance is that people start to believe that these services don’t cost anything. But of course someone is paying for it, whether it be in the form of inflated premiums, gaps or whatever.

Sybs, what does your vet friend do in the Cape York communities?

LJ, thank you for your lovely comments. I hope your day is going well.

Hi everyone

Almost at the end of a FD and its been really easy so far. I have a miso soup made from the paste and it was just what I needed to warm me up. I have been struggling with FDs lately and I know what the problem is. I have been trying to make up for over indulgence by doing extra FDs. When I don’t succeed at doing the extra ones properly, I have been getting really down on myself. I have decided to stick with the two days and do them properly and then eat mindfully on the other days. It was working for me before so I’m not sure why I felt the need to change it. So I’m glad to day has been easy 🙂

Hope you are all doing well x

Hi everyone, just checking in!

My body has plateaud at 75.2kg – need a kick start. Can’t imagine being 65 or even 60kg ever again, but will enjoy working on it and see what happens! Your stories are all very encouraging! Thank you.

Cool, cloudy day here – might take dogs for a walk in our gorgeous park. The Autumn leaves
    are still with us in Winter – just delightful!

My dear Brother is back in hospital: dehydrated, with much pain! Bit difficult to keep positive – as right now he seems to have given up! Says “he hasn’t had one pain free day this year and he’s had enough”. Wish a magic wand could spread some health giving dust!

My Dad may also be coming home for good in two weeks. He’s healthier now than when he got really sick and had to be placed in a nursing home 10 months ago, on GP’s orders! Love having him here – we agree to face any problems when/if they arise: not worry about those problems now! Live each day!!!

Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Good job Quacka, you’ve worked out what works best for you. Get those two FDs mastered before any other changes (so say I, anyway).

Arel, that’s very sad that your brother is suffering. I remember one of my nans and my dad both felt the same when the time came. Of course we didn’t want them to give up but tried to support their feelings and thoughts throughout the time they had left with us. I’d learned decades earlier while working on an oncology ward that we tend to handle death and dying poorly in our culture. The patient often just wants their thoughts validated and to be able to talk and cry about the reality, while those around them are often trying to avoid those difficult conversations and keep it all ‘normal’. Your brother is fortunate to be surrounded by caring and loving family members where he can express his thoughts and not have to feel that he must be strong for everyone else.

Keep going Arel. Fantastic news about your dad. You’ll get under 75kg soon enough and how good and strong you will feel when that happens. If you’re going to be looking after your dad, you’ll need to be fit and healthy. Thinking of you and hoping these words come out right on the page. A walk in the park with the dogs, kicking autumn leaves sounds just the tonic!

This week’s Mon/Tues fast wasn’t as successful. Not a full water-only fast, just low cal and a bit half hearted, so only one pound down.

It is early summer here. I have just planted another couple of rows of leeks, OH has picked one kilo of gooseberries and there is a Pied Wagtail feeding it’s young in the garden.

My birthday today. I am officially very old. Those of you discussing your ages are all children. It has been suggested that I now need a tattoo – my name and address in a visible place.

Happy Birthday Penguin! It beats the alternative. You seem to be managing very well with a vast range of interests and activities (for an elder). Keep it up! 😆

It’s almost the end of a FD but now I must venture into the cold and dark (in more ways than one) to a bridge lesson.

Happy Birthday, Penguin! Officially old? Don’t let yourself be defined by the number of times the Earth revolves around the sun! A name and address tattoo? How utterly boring and unimaginative. How about this one instead? https://i.pinimg.com/originals/05/a7/68/05a768880641e7fe9c44fc29f023fb4d.jpg

Hope you’re having a wonderful summer day!

https://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server3600/74756/products/3636/images/4086/Ford_Pickup__56150.1421118339.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Arel, I wish there were better words to say than I’m sorry about your brother and all he is going through. I don’t think I could say it better than thin’s message to you above. Can I add a “me too” to that?

It’s so good to hear that your Dad is coming back home. You always seem to be happier when he’s there. Hugs to all of you.

Penguin, re that tattoo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pmESue0cnpo

Or how about a tattoo that says, “Take me to Tahiti!”

Thinatlast, thank you. It does indeed beat the alternative.

Cali, whenever my body starts whinging I tell it that it is only 45. That is increasingly difficult to sustain, I may have to tell it I am 47. For some time now I have have been telling the machines in the gym that I am less than half of my actual age. If I tell them the truth they won’t let me work.

I watched that you tube link. I do have a red guitar and a black T shirt, but I shaved off my moustache some years ago, so nothing else in common with anyone there. I shaved because OH had been trying to get me to do so for a number of years. It took her two months to notice. I keep threatening to grow a beard, but the last time I didn’t shave it came out in black and white areas and I looked like a badger.

Tahiti sounds good, I could take my paints and pretend to be a dissolute famous artist, or even become a dissolute unknown artist.

We are going out for a meal tonight. Tomorrow’s weigh-in will be interesting.

Happy Birthday Penguin!
    http://www.eclectech.co.uk/b3ta/cake-penguin.gif

You are the youngest officially old person existing. Thankyou for making me feel young 🙂 Best wishes for many more years of gardening, painting, gym, grandkids, the other 600 interesting things you do, and water fasts!

Hi Quakka, so good to hear from you. I bet you have got it exactly right. Trying to make up for indulgences with extra fast days can so easily become self defeating. Hopefully those two basic fast days (preferably with miso 😉 ) a week will give you a nice stable platform to deal with the other days. Over indulge one day, try not to the next.
    And hopefully now we are adjusting to those winter days. My cat and I have both settled down after a hungry reaction to cold days!

Arelkade, best wishes to your brother. It is so exhausting and grinding to be in constant pain. I do so hope the hospital can help. At least getting hydrated again might make things a bit easier. I do hope he gets an easy day today.

Lovely news about your dad!

Good luck getting off that plateau, are you going to to try that low carb diet? If so, you could make it just a week and see how it goes.
    On the other hand, with your life so hectic and full of stress at the moment, maintaining a plateau can be seen as a wonderful accomplishment. Keep looking after yourself as best you can.

Thin, what an adventure your daughter is having! And what good work she is doing. Hooray for wifi.
    I hope it was a great bridge session last night. Is concentration harder on a fast day? Or does working on bridge provide a good distraction from any hunger?

Sybs, pumpkin and cauliflowers, yum. I love your distinction of useful and useless carbs.
    I was listening to an excellent podcast with a dietician where she said that sedentary lives mean that by the time we eat our veg for the day, there is simply no room for useless carbs. (your words 😉 she said junkfood)

LJoyce, you are doing so well writing on your tiny phone screen!
    Yes, leftovers from childhood, those self destructive behaviours that are still with us today. Food, the sweeter the better, was my childhood reward.
    How are you going doing some everyday (ie not cheesecake) cooking in your dear new home. Are you starting to stack the freezer with delicious things again?

I am hoping to make veggie pies today. I am perfecting my recipe. Mushrooms and lentils in them this time.

Cali, it must be so frustrating waiting for your meds to sort themselves out. It seems similar to antidepressants: trying something, building it up, then slowly stopping it and trying something else. Se wearing because you have to put up with the side effects, and with it not working properly, at the same time. And Oh Dear! I do appreciate our health care system!

I’m glad you are able to have fast days and that your weight is sitting nicely under 60.

Enjoy those cauliflowers, Cali and Sybs. What are you going to do with them? I am longing to make aloo gobi soon.

I watched a show on SBS last night: https://www.sbs.com.au/food/health/article/2018/06/12/why-do-slim-people-who-eat-lot-never-seem-put-weight It was very interesting, especially because the two people they focused on seemed eat huge amounts all the time but they investigated what was actually going on.

Ok this post took a while! I wonder if I have missed some new ones in the meantime, but I have a doctors appt (routine) (no cost thanks health care system) soon and need to make coffee. Best wishes everyone, cheers.

aloo gobi it is, but done my way :-)) in the oven with a lot less fat and only about 1/2 potato- that way I can eat it on both FD and NFD. For NFD I “dress it up” a little with dry toasted/roasted cashew nuts and some feta cheese.

a question to everyone – do you have experience in turning the starchy carbs in rice, pasta and bread into resistant starch by cooking, cooling or freezing and re-heating? I watched the Dr Xand program yesterday, and was wondering how hot it has to be when re-heating (I don’t have a micro wave oven). Bread is easy, as you just stick the frozen bread into a toaster.

Cinque, it’s a good thing that one wasn’t one of those posts that unexpectedly disappears when the ‘submit’ button is pressed! I’ll be interested to watch that SBS show on slim people not gaining weight – that’s my OH. He’s very food focussed and rarely goes half an hour without passing through the kitchen. He hasn’t gained an ounce since high school. He describes his metabolism as ‘very inefficient’, i.e. his body requires a lot of calories to maintain function. Love the animated penguin birthday wishes. And CalifD’s tattoo suggestion!

Penguin, I laughed at Mrs P not noticing the missing moustache for 2 months. And I do wonder why people grow beards that age them with grey when their head hair is not yet grey. My OH looks 10 years older with a beard. I hope it was a great restaurant meal and that the family made a big fuss of you.

Cinque, on FDs I’ve found that I have boundless physical energy but mental concentration is a challenge especially as the day wears on. I managed to stay awake last night but I must have used up extra calories trying to keep up with the content because I woke to 58.8kgs this morning. How could anyone invent a game so complicated? The only other side effect from fasting that I notice is feeling very cold. Does your pie have a pastry top and bottom?

The sun is shining and the dolphins are calling. There are two mother and baby pairs frequenting our part of the riverpark which is an uplifting sight.

Sybs, I didn’t see that programme but isn’t it the cooling period that creates the resistant starch? Note that only a small percentage is converted into resistant starch.
    https://www.southdenver.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Resistant-Starch-for-web.pdf

thin – I watched it on BBC iplayer – it’s “The truth about carbs”

Happy birthday Penguin. Age is just a number, I’m glad to see you don’t let it limit you.

Quacka, I completely identify with the pattern you find youself in. When I start overeating onNFDs I too compensate by doing more FDs. I find it doesn’t solve the problem as I resent the deprivation of the extra FDs and it leads to more bad behaviour. I found Thins advice the most useful on this. Concentrate on 5:2. Do just 2 good FDs, which will help you feel better about yourself then focus on improving the NFD. It’s scary when you are overeating to do this as the immediate fear is that you’ll gain weight before you get your 5:2 back in balance. That may happen but then you realise that what you are doing isn’t working for you either.
    With the NFDs I don’t focus beyond today. So I’ll focus on the day, sometimes one meal at a time. If I focus too far ahead it feels like too big a challenge. Because you know what isn’t working that’s half the battle. I really hope you get back to a better eating pattern.

Arel, I’m so pleased to hear that your dad has improved so much.
    Was so sorry to hear about your brother. Does he have a morphine pump to manage his pain? I lost my mum to pancreatic cancer 19 years ago. I remember her struggle with the constant pain. The morphine pump helped – she had a little cloth bag that it went into so she could carry it over her shoulder and still be mobile. There may even be better options available these days.I hope they find a solution that helps him deal better with his pain levels.

I had a good NFD yesterday it was very controlled eating for a change. I have two more NFDs then a FD Saturday – when I’m baking for a 90th birthday on Sunday (my uncle).

I’m about to head out looking for a coffee table that’s large enough for my living area.

Sybs, I was excited to read that you’d viewed that on BBC iplayer. But when I try to access anything, I still get the “content exclusive to UK residents” message, due a rights issue. How do you overcome that please?

Morning LJ, did you find a suitable coffee table?

Hi Thin – I’ve got VPN which I use to access geo-restricted content

Thank you all so much for your support and encouragement. I know I will get back into the swing of things.

My over indulgence is actually just alcohol. I lay part of the blame with my OH. He likes to have a few beers after work and I like to have some with him. There are days when he goes with out but lately it has been more “with” than with out. Don’t get me wrong – I lay most of the blame with myself though. I know I have the choice, it’s just I struggle to make the right one. Beer is so fattening…..

Regarding eating, I mostly eat very healthily. I occasionally have a piece of chocolate or some chips (like today lol) but I eat mainly vegetables and protein. I love vegetables.

This morning I got up early out of my warm bed and got on the treadmill. I feel better with myself when I manage some exercise every day. So I think I am on the right track. Previously exercise and 2 FDs a week was all I needed and I was steadily losing weight. That is where I am headed back to 🙂

Thinking of you all. I really hope those dealing with difficult times are doing ok. x

Good afternoon!

Sybs, your question about resistant starch. I noticed in that list of pointers (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4DfZMpv7BYJ3kGXdHxdxkKp/10-things-you-may-not-know-about-carbs):
    “it’s even better if you re-heat things like pasta, rice and potatoes – and make sure everything, especially the rice, is piping hot – this further increases the resistant starch content.”
    And this was the most useful sciencey thing I found: https://freetheanimal.com/2014/10/reheating-digestive-resistance.html

Your version of aloo gobi sounds very good.

Thin, my post was so LONG. But I only had a sentence or two for everyone!
    So glad it didn’t disappear.

I’ve noticed lots of people get cold with fasting, and my friend who had a gastric sleeve op is cold all the time, even though she is a normal weight, I mean not super skinny or anything.

I was very cold for a few days at the start of winter and found that it was a result of not drinking enough water. (For good reason, the water was too cold!) Making myself drink more got me back to normal. It would be nice if it was that easy for you too. I keep forgetting to ask my friend if it might be the case for her.
    Good for you managing bridge with decreased mental concentration.

My pies are a riff on Woolton Pie and have a potato pastry top. No bottom. I will freeze most of them, and then heat them up to bubbling when their time comes, thereby making them a bit healthier!

LJoyce, congrats on that lovely controlled NFD. Best wishes for today too, and happy birthday to your uncle on Sunday. 90 years old! He might even be older than Penguin!
    I have a good friend whose birthday is also on Sunday. (Easy to remember because my birthday is on Saturday 😉 )

Oh Quakka, that alcohol. How sad it is that it is such a bad one for weight, and sugar in the blood, and all those related chronic illnesses. And it is never easy when you have a partner temptingly drinking every day.
    Well you must have already cut back because of fast days. Would you prefer to cut it out another day or two, or cut down how much you drink each day?

Hooray for loving veggies though, I am just about to cut up 6 big cups of veggies, to make my six wooltonish pies.

Chop chop!

Sybs, I seem to remember Simcoluv responding to one of my comments on resistant starch. He said best results are from freezing cooked starchy carbs before thaeing and reheating. I don’t think the reheating temps matter. I think it’s the initial cooling that provides the benefit. This means that cooking potatoes or pasta then chilling them to use in a cold salad would also contain some resistant starch.

Thin, I really struggled to find a coffe table. The best shape for my lounge would be a 1 metre square table but most of the current stock in the stores is rectangular and too big. I’ll look in Ikea tomorrow when I buy the entertainment unit. I did find one that would need to be made in the colour stain I want and costs $1300. I was assured this was a great price as it used to be $1600. The day will never come when I spend that much on one coffee table. My budget is $400 max and I’m hoping I’ll find something for half that.

For all the birthday wishes, thank you.

The meal last night was interesting. 5:2 seems to have changed me in a number of ways. I had a modest starter and mains and two largish glasses of red. About half way through a perfectly good main I lost interest in it and the wine had more impact than it used to. The wine was the surprise -like Quacka my vice was alcohol.

It is satisfying to learn that for years I have been doing the right thing without knowing it. I make our bread in large batches and freeze it. When we need some, I take it out of the freezer, put it in a cold oven which I turn to max (240C) and when the oven hits 220-240 C it is ready. I have never sliced my loaves before freezing, but I have just put a batch of sourdough out to prove (equal quantities strong white, wholemeal wheat and rye) and this time I’ll slice one of the loaves before freezing and try toasting it.

Final comment on this age thing. On Tuesday I shot clays. On the range were two guys in their late eighties. They looked as though they needed sticks not shotguns. Both shot better than anyone else present. As my first boss used to say “Old age and cunning will always beat youth and enthusiasm”.

Great stuff Penguin. Wouldn’t one need a moustache for clay shooting? The handlebar varIety. I, too, only need about half a G&T to produce the effect that three might have had on me some years ago. Looking around, I realised there is nothing particularly attractive about a tipsy 60 year old woman. You haven’t mentioned Merry or Mr Merry, neither has Merry commented here since attending the wedding. Did she recover?

Thanks for the extra info on resistant starch Cinque. I wasn’t complaining about the length of your post BTW, I love reading them. Thank you also for the tip on drinking water to keep warm – what a strange thing! You are quite right though, I should drink more water on FDs. That pie sounds delicious.

LJ, have you considered gumtree for a suitably priced table? I don’t often purchase second hand stuff but that type of thing wouldn’t bother me. This arrived in my inbox today and I thought of you:
    ♦ The location of your mailbox shows you how far away from your house you can be in a dressing gown* before you start looking like a mental patient.
    (*robe, CalifD)

Good afternoon, this quiet day on 5:2.
    I’m concentrating on a healthy eating mindful day. It is very cold and grey and drizzly outside, but I have plenty to do inside and I have been quite productive.

Penguin, I am similar with bread, even though I just make one loaf because it is just me. I cut it in half and freeze half, and I keep the half I am using in the fridge since I eat it as toast (except maybe when I first cut it) over a week. Then I thaw the other one and keep it for toast for the next week!

And I make bulk recipes and freeze most of them so this resistant starch research is very pleasing for me!

LJ, good luck finding that table. Gumtree is a good idea if Ikea doesn’t come through.

Thin, haha re the letterbox measure.
    I hope the extra water might help you warm up, it is such an easy and cheap solution!

I’m hoping we hear from Merry soon, too.

Best wishes all

I posted one yesterday saying that we had seen Merry, but it seems to have disappeared. Merry and her OH had a couple of days here before moving on in the direction of Wales and the north country. We enjoyed meeting them. That was two weeks ago, so by now they may be on the way home.

Cinque, it was a quiet day here yesterday. I checked in but, as there’d been nothing since my last post, I kept going. I’ll report back on the water solution after tomorrow’s fast. How is the business plan coming along?

Good to know there’s been a Merry sighting, thanks Penguin.

Freshly baked bread with lashings of butter! I try not to think about it, it’s a thing of the past for me. I ate too much rice at a Japanese restaurant last night. It was a set menu and it just appeared. I passed some over to OH but not before I’d already eaten too much without thinking. Next time, engage brain.

Good morning, today started with sunshine! Very nice since the top temp is only forecast 12C.

Penguin, I am so glad to hear you linked up with the Merrys.

Thin, I do hope you won’t suffer too much because of the rice. I wonder if it had been frozen and reheated? 😉

I am trying to make some pumpkin and kidney bean fritters (but I will bake them in mini muffin trays) i will take over to my daughters this afternoon, and finish the red jumper for a 2yo that I started for my first grandchild… lucky they had a second one!

Lots of opportunity for dreadful mix ups, but I am doing okay so far. Might have to put my business plan on hold today though. Oh dear and I am babysitting tomorrow and may need Monday to recover. No wonder I make slow progress.

‘Day before fast day’ for me. I need to plan for fasting and babysitting.

Best wishes everyone.

Thin, I like your letter box limit. Thankfully my bins go next to mine – probably stopped the neighbours thinking I was crazy – just forgetful. I did rememer this week.

Cinque, if those patties work out can you post the recipe.

After a couple of hours at Ikea yesterday choosing lounge storage, I decided that my best coffee table option was one I’d seen at Domain for $149. The wood is the wrong colour but I will eventually develop enough enthusiasm for sanding it back and staining it the colour I want. I have put the coffee table flat pack together, now I just have 20 ikea boxes to deal with – I kid you not, there are 20! I’m having a cuppa while I search for the energy to tackle it.

After a very bad food day yesterday I had a night of abnomonal pain and a bout of IBS – haven’t had that in ages. Today I’m fasting and I feel a bit better already, but I know I’ll need to be quite careful with fat and fibre intake for a few days. I will need to be careful at tomorrow’s afternoon tea for my uncle’s birthday as everything is likely to be high fat – everything I’ve made for it is.

Hope you are all having a good weekend.

Ha ha Cinque, I’d refrained from making a wise crack about there having been no resistance from either the starch or me at the restaurant last night – now I have. It sounds like your knitting goes at about at my pace. Not that I could tackle a jumper. 12C sounds a bit depressing. I’ve been in the garden all morning, it’s about 21C here I believe.

LJ, I hope things settle into a nice rhythm for you soon. Sample everything tomorrow maybe and leave it at that? Set everyone a good example!

Time to replenish the freezer stock on cauliflower soup. Thankfully, Coles has halved the price today. After that, I must return to booking accommodation. So much easier before the internet when one could simply ask someone travelling in the opposite direction for a recommendation!

Penguin and Merry, so glad to hear that you and your OHs were able to get together on Merry’s trip to the UK. I expect we’ll hear from Merry any day now.

Thin, I doubt you could do that much damage with rice in a Japanese restaurant in one meal. You don’t see many overweight Japanese and they eat rice with most meals. Well, actually with all the western junk food that makes it over there, there are probably more heavy people there now. Fast food like McDonalds seem to be everywhere. I couldn’t understand how they could be so crowded in France all the time when the French have such wonderful traditional dishes.

FD Thursday and I weighed in at 59 the following morning. I think I may have made up for it with too much snacking the following day. I’m having too many snacking NFDs. Maybe it’s sometimes nerves. My DS ordered me a book called, “How to Survive the End of the World (When it’s in Your Own Head)“ by Aaron Gillies, a British author. The reviews says it a humorous book with a little self help stuff in it. The titles made me laugh. I think it’s being shipped from the UK because it could take a couple weeks to arrive.

Cinque, good to hear you’re working on the jumper for your second granddaughter. Best to keep busy at it so your DD doesn’t have to have a 3rd one! 😁

LJ, I like IKEA and their furniture is pretty easy to assemble, but you’re right abount to number of boxes. We have 3 of their Poang Chairs in different parts of the house. With the footstools that go with them, they’re such comfortable chars. And I love that the cushion covers zip off and are washable. With the ivory colored covers the get dirty fairly fast.

Viewing 50 posts - 16,201 through 16,250 (of 28,008 total)

You must be logged in to reply.