Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,913 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  GdayfromSA 6 hours, 41 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 15,701 through 15,750 (of 28,017 total)

• Good morning SHs,

I’m up early as the plumber was meant to be here at 7am. I need to get the rain water taps cleaned out so they flow properly. He couldn’t do it before the open started as I’m had the tanks emptied and cleaned so I had to wait for enough rain going into the tanks to provide some water pressure. I want it fixed for the new owners.

I heard back from the agent I made my letter of offer to. He wants me to go out to his office today and sign a formal offer contract. Although he still hasn’t said whether my offer is acceptable, it is unusual to ask for a formal contract if the owners don’t intend to accept it.

Must go, plumber is here.

Hi Everyone,
    Morning after fast day for me 🙂
    I have had a big breakfast already, but I was awake at 4:30 so it didn’t feel so early.
    Now I will be very good to myself and not eat til lunch time. There is a beautiful avocado and salad waiting to be put together.

Well enough food talk! I had a surprisingly excellent fast day yesterday thanks to being so busy. I hope the other Monday fasters also had a good day.

LJoyce, wow, things are moving. I hope you have a couple of good days until the news comes back. Do all the good things and let the house get as messy as it likes!

Lindsay, good work sorting out your banking! isn’t it complicated with all the direct debits etc. You’ll be glad to have it all done. And a good thing to do while you are resting your knee.
    How exciting to know your grandchild is nearly here. Best wishes all goes well. Nice that the royals got theirs out of the way already 😉

Congratulations Thin, coming second at Bridge is wonderful! Cheers to your daughter, it sounds a great week. Yes, WA is huge. And wonderful. My sister lived at Newman for several years and I visited there a few times and loved the country around. I also remember driving down to Perth from Newman, when all the wildflowers were out. Just gorgeous.

Hi Quacka, glad you could drop in. I hope your fast days are keeping on keeping on.

I’ve got to get my head around that it is just two days before my next fast day. Oh dear, I am out of my routine! I will sit down and plan my yummy meals, that will put me right. Yes, I am a control freak!
    I get my flu jab today hope it works better than last year’s one did!

Cheers to everyone, we had a surprisingly warm night and it will be a beautiful day (hotter than Perth here!). I hope we all enjoy our day.

Edit: Just saw your latest post LJoyce, things are moving quickly! It sounds like good news!

Well that was fast. It took him 15 minutes to unblock 2 rain water taps. The outdoor tap was not blocked by sludge as I suspected, it was blocked by 2 of those fluffy spider egg nests! Not anymore.

I finally had a good NFD yesterday. Small serves, healthy choices and I didn’t eat too much bread, just had some rye sourdough with lunch. I also managed to stick with just fresh fruit as snacks – something else I’ve struggled with lately. I’m doing another NFD today and I’ll aim for the same approach as I’d like to get a pattern going.
    Thankfully I’m not being tempted by the leftover muffins from the Sunday open house as I piled them all onto a plate and took them over to my neighbour – her daughter is home for a few days so I thought they might be able to use them. This was part of the problem for me lately, there were too many high sugar baked items in the house that I normally don’t have to deal with.

Busy day planned, with lots of errands out of the house. I will need to take lunch with me I think, to avoid making poor food choices.

Hope you all have a good day.

Cinque, your post popped up while I was typing.
    I can’t let the house get too messy. Nothing is certain until the cooling off period is over. Once I know the contract is certain I’ll allow myself to relax a bit. Actually I probably won’t because then I have to start packing! At least that will keep me active.

Hi everyone

Found some mobile service on Fraser Island QLD – drove 1000klm to get here and it’s just gorgeous (have to do the return trip over this coming weekend). Been 4WDing through the forests – delightful. There are dingoes, but we are yet to see one! The weather is wonderful – walked to beach this morning and took lots of photos.
    Feels good just relaxing and not having to think about anything in particular. FD’s may have to wait till I’m home, then it’ll be catch up time – thank you 5:2 for being so flexible!

I hope you are all enjoying whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Good morning SHs from a cool but fine Adelaide.

I was up very early to walk into a local town for the ANZAC dawn service. Just home now and enjoying my first cup of tea for the day.

Another NFD for me today – that’s three in a row, which I haven’t done in quite a while. So far it does seem easier to make better food choices on NFDs when I’m not trying to cram in extra FDs. I’m really hoping the pattern from the last couple of days continues.

Arel, don’t tell Thin there are dingoes, she’ll be up there to get herself one!
    Enjoy your time on Fraser Island, I have heard that it’s a fabulous holiday if you have a 4WD.

I have some more house news. I’ve sold a house and bought a house – well almost. My house is under contract but still in cooling off, so I ope they don’t take fright from the building inspection that was done yesterday – you never know what they’ll comment on in inspections of older houses. My offer on the new build that I liked was accepted last night. I have both settlement dates on 30 May so I can go straight from one house to the other without worrying about storage or temporary accommodation. Five weeks to pack! Given what’s already in storage that should be enough.

Good morning,
    I’m having a cup of tea with you LJoyce, cheers. And congratulations! A nice 5 weeks of aerobic and weight bearing exercises to keep you trim!
    Hope it keeps falling in place, it seems like it will. Hooray.

Arelkada, how wonderful to be exploring wonderful Fraser Island and being able to walk to a beautiful beach. Enjoy that relaxing time!

Day before fast day for me. I did some cooking yesterday and need to make a pot of soup today. My fridge and freezer are bursting with delicious meals, so I will try to only buy salad ingredients for a couple of weeks! That will make life easy.

I’ve had my flu jab and I am ready for winter, but my little garden thinks it is spring. I have a tomato bush flowering! And plenty of greens for my salads I think. Coriander is coming up everywhere.

I’m planning a quiet day getting the house in order.

Hoping to hear from you Cali. I hope everything is ok.

Best wishes all.

Good morning! Strangely, I am joining you for a frothy coffee having switched my FD for tomorrow. This must be the first Wednesday that I haven’t fasted in several years. DD has a rare day off and asked if we could spend it together which was so lovely that I couldn’t resist. So I shall join you tomorrow Cinque for a Thursday FD. I’d already planned to switch Sunday’s FD for Saturday as we have a lunch invitation so it will be an odd week fast-wise.

I think DD and I will go out for breakfast (we can share a big breakfast) and then for a walk at Kings’ Park.

Cinque, was your sister a teacher at Newman? Or did she work in the mines? Or something completely different?

Well done LJ, that’s very good news. It all fell seamlessly into place as I knew it would. You worked hard to achieve that outcome and deserved it. You’re right about the dingoes – although those on Fraser need to be left alone. Have the details of last Monday’s WA shark attack and subsequent rescue of the victim reached the eastern states?

I’m fasting tomorrow too, so that will make 3 of us.

Thin, the last WA shark attack I saw on the news was last week I think, or maybe the week before. It was the one that resulted in a surfing competition being cancelled. The commentary I saw was about the recreational surfers repeatedly ignoring warnings about not surfing that day as there was a whale carcass and sharks in the area feeding on it. It reminded me a bit of the flood water issue – people need rescue from driving into it despite repeated warnings not to drive in. Sometimes that “she’ll be right” attitude that is so ingrained here can cause trouble at times.
    Perhaps it’s human nature to think the bad things always happen to someone else.

Cinque, Well done getting a fridge full of cooked things. I’m not cooking much at the moment as I need to eliminate my freezer stash – not that there’s actually a lot left, probably 2 weeks of prepared meals and ingredients for one more.

LJoyce – great news about your old/new abode – fingers crossed all goes to plan

Thin – I used to live bush, and when I moved back to the big smoke I really missed the dingos “calling” to each other every sunrise and sunset, just as I missed the kookas “cackling” happily. Now that I live in the most beautiful part of Cairns (IMHO) I can enjoy the early morning laughter of this most iconic bird again.

I’ve run out of shiitake mushrooms, not catching on that shops are closed today, silly me :-(( almost as bad as running out of coffee

Good morning all. Another FD for me tomorrow too LJ, so that makes 4 of us. I find it okay to fast at home when OH is not here (he’s a great one for tea breaks) but easier all round if I’m at work, which I am tomorrow. Congratulations on both buying and selling … all so quick, after so much effort.
    Thin the revelations about the banks just keep coming. And the AMP? And the whizz bang financial adviser who would have cost his client half a million, and whose staff thought it was okay to pretend to be her, so they could get information from her super fund. It takes me straight back to the Gordon Gecko, greed is good, eighties. Save us from them. To add insult to injury, when I told the Bank of Queensland I was moving elsewhere, they told me it would take 20 business days to finalise our arrangements. I was speechless (actually I wasn’t – not at all).
    Cinque no baby news yet, but very happy for William and Kate (I’m a republican who loves the Royal family…odd, no?). Our 4 year old thinks the new baby should be called Prince Russell.
    Sybs we have the kookas here in suburban Brisbane too….we back on to bush, and they start calling at 4am. They’re as good as an alarm clock. I love both the sound, but also knowing I have another couple of hours in bed.
    Happy day all.

LJoyce, congratulations on selling your home and having your offer accepted on the new one! That is very exciting news! How far is the new place from the house you live in now? What an exciting time, especially after all the work you put into your present one! Is the new home a newly built one? It’s good that you’ll be able to go right from this house to the next.

Thin, hope you’re enjoying your day with DD and having OH back home. It sounds like your bridge games are coming along well.

I had to laugh at the pedometer challenge story with the dog. I read about one where a contestant left his pedometer in a jeans pocket that went into the wash. Apparently spinning clothes dryers can adds LOT of steps to the daily total!

Cinque, I need to follow your example and get a freezer stash of FD meals going.

Arel, if you should find a dingo has jumped into your 4WD while you are out exploring, you know you can call thin to the rescue!

Hi Sybs, Lindsay and Cali.

Sybs & Lindsay, your bird stories reminded me of the battle of the squawks this morning. They had bagpipes at the dawn service that I attended this morning. As the area was surrounded by trees full of birds it was a battle of wills between the crows and the bagpipes as to who could make the most noise. I actually think the crows won, but there were a lot more of them.

Lindsay, isn’t it sad when you aren’t surprised by the poor service. Time to move to a new institution – most of them seem to treat new business better than existing customers.

Cali, the new house is 22km (14 miles) from where I live. It’s also about 12km from Adelaide CBD (closer than where I am now). Although I have no desire to live near the ocean, my new home is also only 4km from the beach. It might make an interesting walk, but I have no desire to actually swim in the ocean. I think growing up inland and learning to swim in a freshwater lake gave me very different ideas of what safe swimming spots look like. I’ll continue to confine my swimming to swimming pools and lakes – not that I get to swim in a lake very often these days. Pools are good – no sharks in pools.

LJoyce, staying away from the ocean may keep you safe from some of the sharks, but never underestimate the danger of land sharks! 😁 https://m.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi3999373593

Hi Everyone, CaliD, LJ, Lindsay, Sybs, Thin, Cinque, ArelK, and anyone I’ve missed,

Check-in first: Home again from the grandees holiday visit. 65.6kgs this morning, and joing you other 4 for my usual Thursday FD tomorrow. Did partake of a few Anzac cookies today, but I only have them on Anzac Day. CaiD -it’s been a special day here for us. The day we honour all our military, and those who have served our country around the world. (Sting and a Jamaican reggae artist – at the same time.). I will get back to 62kg, I will get back to 62kgs. I will. 1/2 kg loss in last week.

Hey LJ – Wooohoooo!💐 Fabulous news, and well done on the 3 NFDs.

CaliD – Hilarious land shark.

Lindsay – just starting to watch the Queen’s 92nd birthday concert in the Royal Albert Hall. Tom Jones backed by a bunch of Indian-British drummers atm – well that’s different. Kylie Minogue next backed by a bunch of cowboy dancers.

So on that Royal note I have some news.
    OH and I have decided it’s about time we did something we’ve put off for several years now. At very short notice with 3 weeks to organize it, we’re going to the UK.

( Gaston from Beauty and the Beast -Hugh Evans -singing “Oh what a beautiful morning” from Oklahoma – Hugh Jackman before he was famous is still my favourite Curly – if you’re into Musical Theatre, or Hugh Jackman, look it up on Youtube – brilliant).

Anyhoo… we’re just going to fly into Heathrow, pick up a hire car and go wherever we feel like. Lots of places have been on the bucket list for years. We land just before Prince Harry’s wedding, so it would be fun to go on our way via Windsor, and go to the Royal Wedding, sort of. We didn’t set out to be there for the wedding; realized after we booked the tickets we’d be there just before the wedding, and Windsor Castle is on my bucket list, and we’d be just around the corner that day, so a Royal Wedding just went on my bucket list!

(George Formby Society playing banjos, singing “When I’m cleaning Windows” – old English silly song from way back. Haven’t heard that for years. Make hot drink, Anne-Marie, don’t know her.

(Yay! Ladysmith Black Mombasa, love them. – aagh backing Tom Jones???? How did that happen. Wish they’d sung on their own.) Will I have the last Anzac cookie?

So, what does one wear to crash a Royal Wedding? How and where do you go to a loo when hanging out in a Royal Wedding street crowd?

Stream of consciousness post tonight……..

(Elderflower and pistachio gluten free bottom layer of the Queen’s birthday cake. Little icing corgi’s on the top. Made in Clarence House kitchen… made by the Women’s Institute… taste-tested by the Duchess of Cornwall…ingredients from various Commonwealth countries; top layer has a gin and something buttercream filling.)

(Jamie Cullum , jazz version of I Get a Kick out of You.)

So.. as usual, I’m setting mini-goals; am thoroughly over being above my goal weight and bouncing up and down above it, when I keep thinking I can get back to it, (Laura Mvula
    singing Nina Simone , but with orchestral intro and finale from Les Miserables, which is a bit weird).

Went from 64.6 back up to 66.1, yuck! now going down, yet again, so sick of this bouncing.
    Now 65.6kg want to lose another kg at least before we fly out to UK, and want to lose another kg on the trip. My travel scales will be going with me.

(Oh, talking about the wedding now, and Prince Harry has come on stage. Launching The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust to foster leadership of the young in the 53 countries of the Commonwealth, birthday gift for the Queen. Oh, fine young singer Donel Mangeno, who looks about 16. Great kid!)

See you on FD tomorrow!

Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Hi everyone

Having a wonderful time on Fraser Is. Went to Anzac service on the beach, in front of the shipwreck Maheno, which was a hopsital ship in WW1 – very moving service!

Saw a dingo on the beach – it posed for a tourist bus then walked between our two 4WD’s – magic! We could have touched it Thin!

Going to Champagne Pools and Indian Head today – bought goggles to view nemos and seahorses in the pools, and maybe see turtles. All is wonderful!

LJoyce – congrats on your wonderful news re buying and selling – it’s all happening for you, so happy for you!

Hi Cinque, Sybs, Calif, Merry, Thin and LJoyce – enjoyed your posts, but too hard to keep going back, with mobile, to answer each one. Hi to all others.
    Thinking of you all. Imagining all getting together and helping LJoyce with her move! Maybe in spirit we’ll be there LJoyce!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!
    Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Good morning everyone,
    It is Thursday Fast Day, cheers other fasters, Thin, LJoyce and Lindsay et al.

Thin,
    I bet you had a lovely day with your daughter. I was watching footage of King’s Park yesterday with that wonderful combined corroboree and haka.
    My sister’s (now ex) husband worked at Newman mine and three of their children were born there, late seventies, early eighties.
    Cheers for a week of swapped fast days, I wonder if a change is as good as a holiday?

LJoyce, I am glad there are still a couple of weeks of meals in your freezer. I bet you will have lists of lists to get through the packing and moving (and let’s not forget the unpacking at the other end!)

Oh No Sybs, I hope you can get your shiitake mushrooms today. Are you making more tempe?

I’m still in my ‘kimchi with everything’ mode. It works when I need anything hot, anything pickled or any bit of added cabbage. I’ve finished one container and onto the next.

Lindsay, how can we not welcome a new, dear little baby to the world, even if we are not monarchists. I seriously hope the royals call him Russell!

I was telling Miss 3 about kookaburras when we were at Darebin Parklands, but we didn’t hear one. 🙁 They have become very rare around here.

Cali good luck doing some cooking. It is nice to have back ups in the freezer.
    Loved the land shark clip. A useful warning!

Merry, we just think we’ve got you back and about to settle in, and off you go again! But wow, what fun!
    And you make me sorry I missed the Queen’s birthday concert. Loved getting the updates. But OMG I can’t think of anything worse than being in a Royal Wedding street crowd. Worst nightmare. However, I will be glad to read your updates on that while you’re there (especially on the state of your bladder). 😉

Arelkade, so wonderful to be having a dream holiday. Hooray that you are getting that little bit of wifi. Say hello to the turtles from me!

Well, I’m off to get another cup of tea, and get my brain into gear for writing some emails. Best wishes all from a still, cool, lovely Melbourne morning.

Morning all. Work and FD for me, and both going well so far. I’ve just looked at my schedule and I have a cancellation – woot, as Cinque would say – which will give me an extra hour to unpick these direct debits and credits, as I migrate to another bank. Hope this one lives up to its promise. They offer so much on the way in, but then the romance fades!
    LJ not a fan of crows. For a while here they were everywhere and cunning birds they are, stripped the coir from some of my hanging baskets, leaving them looking very sad and neglected. Give me a magpie for song, or even a butcher bird.
    Merry what a great trip! Enjoy it to the hilt, and hope you get perfect weather. I look forward to your updates. Have to agree with Cinque though – Royal wedding watching is not for me. Did you see the street crowds for the Royal birth? Some people had been waiting there for 2 weeks! Yikes.
    Arel your Fraser Island holiday sounds just lovely – but watch those dingoes. They’ve become very accustomed to tourists and harmless though they look, they can bite!
    I have a new FD menu. I found some NZ packet soup in the cold section at the local supermarket. It has lots of veges, no additives, and has two serves to a pack, with each serve just 114 calories. The minestrone is terrific. On NFDs I add a tin of beans and it makes a great evening meal (particularly if we’ve been out to lunch) My OH really likes it which is half the battle. I’ve also been buying some prepared frozen meals…one (chicken and veges) comes in at 212 calories. One of those, some soup with konjac, an apple, and I’m well under the 500. I even have 25 cals left for my half square of Lindt chocolate. Is it wrong not to cook for myself on FD? I like the control I feel I have, when I can tot up the calories on the labels.
    Have a good day all.

Lindsay – what is the brand of the NZ packet soup and which supermarket?

I’m a Thursday fasting virgin. It feels a bit odd since Thursday is usually the beginning of my three fast-free days. I briefly flirted with making it 6:1 this week as I’m still under 60kgs even after yesterday’s big breakfast. But then I remembered Sunday’s lunch invitation so here I am. And I have plenty of company by the sounds of it.

Arel, how spectacular to have the visit from the wild dingo. I bet that was a beautiful sight.

Lindsay, however you choose to do your fast day is perfect. I’m sticking to cauliflower soup and then miso soup today. Shiitake and bean curd soaking.

Merry, you will have a wonderful trip I’m sure. I’m with the others about standing about in crowds though, I could think of nothing worse. I expect that there will be plenty of portable toilets.

I related how I’d been to a cafe last week on my FD with the ladies who hadn’t made the most healthy choices. I ran into the American newcomer to town yesterday and it turns out that she had shown more interest in 5:2 than I’d given her credit for. She and her OH had started practicing it this week and she asked me for some recipes. That makes 14 people I’ve turned on to 5:2.

DD and I had a fabulous day. We ended up going to a Cottesloe beach cafe for the surfers’ breakfast, then we walked on the beach before having a gelato. We then drove to Fremantle and pottered around some book shops. I couldn’t open CalifD’s video but I’m with you LJ, I’ll never get attacked by sharks unless they find a way to come on the beach. And no, there are no sharks in Aussie lakes – the crocodiles ate them all.

I agree with thins’ comment about sharks in lakes:

“…And no, there are no sharks in Aussie lakes – the crocodiles ate them all”

that’s especially true up here in FNQ – :-))

Good morning SHs, you’re a busy lot this morning, lots of posts to read over my first cuppa.

Merry, driving around the UK sounds like more fun than moving house – want to swap? I don’t think you’ll need to worry about toilets, you won’t get that car within cooee of the royal wedding. I think your only chance is to park in the next village along, put on good walking shoes and get there on foot.
    I’m hoping for continued weight loss for you both before and after your travels.
    I do love the idea of just deciding to jet off somewhere and explore as the mood takes you. As I’m sure you lot have already guessed, I’m a planner, so I hadn’t considered doing that. Although when I went to Europe the only thing I planned about my da4 ys in Ireland was the flights there and back, everything else I organised after I got there (but the rest of my 7 week holiday was meticulously planned). I had foolishly thought that because I spoke the language, organising accommodation and day trips would be easy. I didn’t realise how difficult it would be to understand the Irish accent. Oddly enough they understood me perfectly well because Australian soaps are popular there so they hear our accent often. I ended up staying in Dublin and did manage to find a bed for each night and I took day trips by bus or train.
    A cousin of mine used to be a travel agent and she said the most fun she ever had booking a holiday was for a man who had come in and given her the dates he wanted to travel, a budget and an idea of the things he enjoyed and then he said, “surprise me”. He let her plan the whole holiday including the destination. Can’t imagine that happens often. This same cousin booked my Europe trip and I imagine I drove her nuts because I wanted to be involved in deciding every detail.

Lindsay, I agree that waking to a magpie song is much nicer than a crow squawk. I have both here, but on my block there are resident magpies and the crows seem to be only passing through.
    It sounds like you’ve found some easy food options for FD meals. I think it’s important to have a few “go to” things that you know will get you through that day easily. Some of us have the same thing every FD meal. I don’t, but I usually choose from a very small range of meals. Not having to think too hard about meals on FDs is important.

Cinque, it’s a cool day here too. I imagine you won’t have to do much cooking for your FD with that well stocked fridge, or are you making miso soup as usual?
    I’m afraid I shuddered at the thought of kimchi with everything, I can’t imagine ever developing a taste for fermented veg – pickled I like but not fermented.

Arel, that sounds like a perfect place to have an ANZAC dawn service.
    Hope you see some turtles and seahorses today, that sounds like a lot of fun.

Sybs, I would be staying out of freshwater in QLD too, because of the crocodiles. Thankfully we don’t get them in SA.

Thin, it’s hard to imagine that you’ve been doing 5:2 so long and never done a Thursday. I guess because I move my FDs around all the time it feels normal to me, but I know you like to stick to the same 2 days of possible. I also agree about the 6:1, I think that only works well for those with a much higher TDEE than most of us have. Otherwise social events are too difficult to accommodate.

I ended yesterday feeling a little deflated as I didn’t manage to get through the afternoon without too many snacks – which included a couple of anzac biscuits. Not the end of the world, but in an attempt to avoid the biscuits I had already eaten an apple, a piece of toasted sourdough and 4 crackers with cheese. At least dinner last night was just veggies – a small bowl of minestrone and 2 fresh corn cobs.
    I remembered this morning, something that my dietitian once told me – if craving a treat food and distraction doesn’t work, allow yourself to have a small portion, eat it slowly and enjoy every mouthful. Otherwise you will eat a lot more substitute food and probably end up eating the treat anyway. She is right, that’s pretty much the way I usually behave when I have a craving I can’t get rid of.

It sounds like almost the whole crowd is fasting today, so we have no excuses with that much mutual support. I have a very normal plan for mine – cups of tea, an apple or banana if needed and big bowl of minestrone for dinner.
    So here’s to lots of successful fasting today.

Thin, that video you couldn’t open was from Saturday Night Live. A woman in an apartment and someone knocking. It turned out to be Chevy Chase in a shark costume.

One of the food sites I regularly look at is BBC recipes, from all their cooking shows. This morning I noticed that the link they are promoting is to calorie counted recipes for 4-500 calories – there’s about 40 recipes and lots of variety. https://www.bbc.com/food/collections/500-calorie_dinners
    I didn’t post this under FD recipes as 4-500 is too many for most of us for a FD, but if you are anything like me you are also trying to not overdo it on NFDs. Calories in the 4-600 range is about what I’m aiming for, on most of my NFD dinners so these ideas from BBC Food are welcome.

Thin you are too funny. Shark, croc, spider or snake? There are so many ways to meet your maker here in Australia. I swim in the ocean ….and hope our netting does its job. I don’t go out far though. Just enough to get that fantastic feel of salt and icy water on hot skin.
    Your walk on Cottesloe sounds beautiful – autumn is perfect for the beach, swim or not. And any weather is perfect for a gelato. I am relieved that you say my FD menu is fine – I had a niggle that I should be doing more about preparing it myself

Sybs it’s Pitango. This is the link to the NZ website. I’ve bought it at both big supermarkets. I throw in konjac on a FD, and beans on NFD. My vegan brother and wife popped over around lunch-time the other day and I served the minestrone to them … two soups with two different beans, and a grainy bread. It was a great lunch.

https://www.pitango.com.au/our-food/soup/world-flavours

Morning all, and happy FD to everyone.

Everyone seems to have had a good Anzac Day. It’s always very moving. Our first without OH’s father. I’ve been to Gallipoli at a different time of year, which is a surreal and reverant experience. It comes with seeing Gallipoli from the Turkish perspective with the tourists being mostly Turkish, and the memorials to Ataturk and the brave Turkish soldiers. It is extraordinary that the Turkish are so welcoming to the Australian national consciousness so tied to the devastation of Gallipoli on both sides. It was a defining time for the Turkish nation as well as Australia and New Zealand.

I didn’t make Anzac biscuits this year and steered away from those commemorative tins which are twice the size they usually are. But, OH and I are guilty of finishing a smaller pack of Anzac biscuits on our own. I had a FD soup for dinner last night in penance, but my scales are still cranky with me this morning.

My scales get downright ornery and cross when I eat anything in the starchy carb department. Note to self. Next year make my own Anzac bikkies and make a 1/4 of the recipe. Home made ones are much nicer and more authentic anyway.

So happy to be having a FD today and settling back into a standard 5:2 rhythm of Mon/Thur FDs.

Lindsay –
    you can do FDs however you want. There are no rules othet than < 500. If buying your FD components helps you , go for it. All of us long term 5:2ers will tell you we’ve learnt lessons from 5:2 about the psychology of how we eat individually. We’ve each learnt what works for us, in our personal living circumstances, and what keeps us psychologically and physically healthier. The gifts of 5:2 are greater than just getting us to normal weight and keeping us there.

Arel – lively holiday! Enjoy.

Sybs – re crocs – occasionally a local Coles has crocodile in the meat dept. never tried it though.

Thin – 14, well done. Sometimes people who look like they’re not interested in something are just in their own heads thinking and concentrating. I think you’re our 5:2 champion.

Cinque – can’t imagine kimchi with everything , but I bet it’s healthy.

LJ – not swapping, sorry🙂, but so exciting for you to have had such an amazing week, and glorious(and exhausting) to have settlement day for both on the one day. We shall all toast you on the end of that day.🍾

Re the trip to the UK – lets just say the last 10 yrs have been very full ones, we feel sort of free, an unusual experience atm, OH is well, I am as well as I’ve been for 20yrs, and we thought why not. There is plenty we could be doing at home, but some time just for us to feel healthy and enjoy a beautiful and fascinating part of the world is very welcome. We’ve picked out a rough route, have the flights booked with stopover in Singapore both directions so I can survive the trip, and Singapore airport’s almost a destination in itself. Shifted our week in London to the end of the trip instead of the beginning, once we realized the wedding was on not too far away. Re the wedding, don’t know if we’ll actually do it. I do love a good castle, when bits of it are 1000yrs old even better, and I’d rather visit Windsor castle without the crowds. I have no wish to stand in a crowd for hours, (and not really up to it physically – nor being able to walk from the next village) but it would be fun to experience the peculiarly British street- party atmosphere of a Royal celebration. Homage to a few ancestors, one dear one, quite the monarchist, who would have been out partying with great joy, rustling up pikelets and jam tarts.

Always better for me to travel in cooler weather, just hoping we don’t need the brolly, mac and galoshes every day.

Must get something done today. Won’t be just following our noses, but will pick out several destinations from the bucket list ? Like York, the Lake District, Devon and Cornwall, and base our selves somewhere for a few days at a time, doing day trips. So, need to find out what accomodation is available and book the main ones.

Merry, I agree with all of your comments on Anzac and Gallipoli. I too am always amazed by the Turkish reaction to us invading their country, it’s an incredibly forgiving and generous way to react. Gallipoli is on my “to do list” as my grandfather was part of that campaign. He was wounded there but recovered in Egypt and was then sent to fight in Belgium and then France, where he was both wounded again and also gassed. I have copies of the location of his battalion throughout the war, his personal service & casualty records and his pay book. Through these I was able to track where he was almost monthly throughout the war. I had planned to take a trip and some point and retrace his steps from Egypt to Gallipoli and then onto Belgium and France (and England and Scotland where he spent time recovering from injuries before going back to fight again). I might do it at a time other than Anzac day though as I think it’s a time for quiet reflection not something I want to be touristy or full of fanfare. My dad (who fought in New Guinea in WW2) really wanted me to do the trip retracing his dad’s WW1 journey. It’s a promise I made that I hope I get to keep.

Anzac was always a big deal in my family and it continues to be a very emotional time for me. I think this has gotten worse in the last decade for me. When my dad developed dementia his PTSD got much worse and he need to talk a lot more about the harrowing things that he saw and experienced. I have those stories rolling around in my own head now and most seem like a horrific thing for a 20-22 year old to have experienced. I can’t seem to get through Anzac day or Remembrance day without mentally reliving those stories.

Lindsay – thanks for sending the link for Pitango Soups – they look absolutely delicious. I’ll hunt around on Monday to see if I can find them here in Cairns

It was an uneventful FD and I hope everyone else’s was as easy. LJ, I guess I have never changed a Wednesday fast, only the Sunday ones and then only very occasionally.

Merry, it was wonderful to read that your OH is now well and that you are feeling as good as you have for the past 20 years – do you see yourself ultimately coming out of your diagnosis at the other end? I did meet one lady who explained to me that she had eventually recovered from CFS after many years with the diagnosis and having been forced to take an early retirement from her career as a social worker. You do seem to manage it very well and I recall you having been on another o/seas trip a few years ago – was it to Europe?

CharliesMum used to rave about a store bought soup called La Zuppa (I think that was its name) if you want to check that out, Sybs and Lyndsay. I tried them but found them too salty as is usually the case for me with anything commercially packaged. But the salt could be handy for those c/o headaches on FDs.

LJ and Merry, I too think deeply about the sacrifice made by the young soldiers – I have no personal family connection with the ANZACS but nevertheless on that day it gives me great pause for thought. My uncle lost his life during his first week of fighting in WWII. He was 18 and I don’t think my grandmother ever really got over it. What I can’t reconcile is how current politicians think it’s OK to just give away the way of life those brave young men paid the ultimate price trying to defend – without even a fight. And yet there they always appear, laying wreaths and gaining political purchase from the commemorative events of the day.

Lyndsay, I don’t mean to stop you enjoying your dips in the ocean (honestly!) but your post reminded me about a man who’d been attacked and killed by a shark at that beach where we were walking yesterday – in waist deep water. It happened shortly after we moved to Perth and I can still remember his name. Years later, I was working out next to a guy on a treadmill at the gym who had been in the water that day and decided to recount the gruesome events. My DD likes to surf, she finds my fear irrational. Fortunately (for me), she rarely has time for it.

Hi Thin,

Catching up on reading, so back on here tonight.

I am feeling well, but still about 50% of normal energy now. That gives me a good quality of life now, and yes, we were in Turkey and Europe a while back. We’ve also been to Hawaii and California about 18months ago.

No, I don’t expect to ever fully recover from ME/CFS. Those who recover are usually young, not severe, and they recover in the first 2-3 yrs. I was late 40’s, severe -bottom 2% of people, 20yrs now. First 2 yrs I was mostly asleep in bed functioning at 5% on the ME/CFS scale, with much more than normal cognitive dysfunction.

However, being normal weight now means my body just some how feels happier, apart from the measurable improvements in health and functioning.

Re the lady you know, when people say they’ve recovered, it usually doesn’t mean they’re how they were before. It usually means they’re functioning much much better, live a relatively normal life, but they have to be careful not to overdo things or they relapse.

I do manage well now but I’ve learnt a lot about how to live as well as possible through my online international support group, and my local support group, which is excellent. I also have agood medical team I’m confident of. So grateful to be living in a country with a good medical system and PBS. I’m well aware that if I’d been in a developing or 3rd world country I would have been dead years ago. They get this all over the world, but in some placed don’t survive.

So….life is good! Very grateful for the extra quality of life 5:2 has given me as well.

So annoying, I just lost my post. Luckily, it wasn’t the usual missive. In the process of searching hopefully for it, I found one of Quakka’s on a previous page that I hadn’t seen. Thank you Quakka for your good wishes.

Thanks for the info Merry. I hadn’t realised that cognitive dysfunction was associated with this diagnosis. You’re a positive person so I’m sure that’s helped you, not forgetting the support of a wonderful husband, of course. My step brother’s second wife was diagnosed in her early twenties and their marriage didn’t work out too well.

Cinque, that seems a long time to be living in Newman. They must have adapted well to the lifestyle. My OH has been flying in some very remote parts lately. Who knows where Boulia is without looking it up? I didn’t.

So hey! It’s frothy coffee Friday and that has a nice ring to it. But tomorrow’s another FD so I must be careful not to spend the day shovelling foods prohibited yesterday and tomorrow. I’m not a fan of ADF but I shall cope!

Have a fantastic day all.

Hi Thin – have a great day – btw I know where Boulia is – yeah – as back in the day I lived bush.

Good morning all, and hi to Quakka,

Day after FD, and a good reminder from Thin re eating silly stuff the day after, even if I don’t feel hungry the morning after FD.

Thin -ADF ? Didn’t know you were trying that or is it just your out of sequence FD meaning 1 nonFD?

We went to the movies yesterday afternoon which I find really good to do on a FD. I get a hot drink to sip which lasts quite a while during the rustling popcorn chomping, icecream eating phase of lots of others. We live in a University town so the foyer was full of lots of young ones yesterday for the 1st day of Avengers Infinity Wars, mostly with monster sized drinks and popcorn in hand. After the movies it’s time for FD soup, which works well.

Hope everyone has a good day today and happy FD to any Friday fasters.

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Good morning all. I’m siting at the kitchen table with laptop and cuppa, with fairly weak sunshine on my back – nice to have some gentle rays.

A week ago I was bemoaning the fact that not controlling my NFDs meant my weight had popped back up to 73.1kg. After a week of trying to be more careful on my NFDs I decided to see if it had made any difference on the scales. I am at a new low of 71.8kg this morning. I’ve put the scales away now for a while as this has proved to me that 2 FDs is enough if I’m being sensible on NFDs. It will ensure I stay at this new lower weight. I don’t want to get addicted to the scales again, so I’ve hidden them at the back of the wardrobe and have promised myself a minimum of 2 weeks without weighing.

Cooling off on the sale contract for my house is midnight tonight. I’ll feel a lot more certain that the sale will proceed without problem once the cooling off period has ended.

Thin, It sounds like this is your week for mixing up FDs if you are fasting Saturday instead of Sunday. I am actually back to my preferred Sunday FD for a change this weekend.
    I feel the same about tinned and packet soups. They are too salty for me too. The only exception used to be Rosella tomato soup, but I can’t get that anymore (they sold the brand name but it’s not formulated the same way). Although I do sometimes buy a tin of cream of celery condensed soup as it’s an ingredient in a tuna & vegetable mornay that I make occasionally (basically it’s a cheat – you use it instead of making bechamel).

Merry, I think you have come a very long way from being bedridden to your current life. I agree with your comments about normal functioning. I have RA and I came to realise that over time my concept of “normal” when it came to health had changed – I had lower standards. Just being able to do many normal everyday things (like pushing a shopping trolley) felt like a victory. For me the gains are mostly due to my treatment drug, although weight loss helps too, as when I’m lighter my inflammation levels are lower. I agree absolutely with your comments about PBS – my treatment drug would cost me about $20,000 per year without PBS subsidised prescriptions. Are there treatment drugs that make a real difference to ME/CFS or is weight loss the only thing that’s given you improvement? That’s a very scary thought, I hope there are other things that also help give you some sustained improvement.

Lindsay, your comment on all the dangers lurking in the Australian environment reminded me that I came across several red back spiders when I was cleaning up the outside of my house. Thankfully I tend to work with leather gardening gloves on so I was protected from bites. I know it’s illegal to kill snakes, I hope that rule doesn’t apply to spiders because I confess, they didn’t survive.

Well I need to get a shopping list together and get to the bakery, green grocer and supermarket. This next week I’m planning to cook up the remaining ingredients in my freezer so that all I’ll have are home made ready meals. That should make the packing process easier if cooking isn’t required often. I’m thinking I should leave a week’s worth of meals for my last week here so that I can pack up the kitchen cupboards.

Have a good day everyone. I’m assuming with so much fasting yesterday that most of us are on a NFD. I’ll try to keep mine under control.

Merry I hope you enjoyed the movies. Where I live now it’s 17km to the nearest cinema and I don’t go often. Your comment about an afternoon at the movies reminded me that my new home is walking distance to a large shopping centre which also contains a large cinema complex. I can walk to the movies for an afternoon, now that sounds nice. Something to look forward to.

Sybs, I had a feeling you might know Boulia – what were doing in the bush, if you’re at liberty to say?

Merry, I had to change both my FDs this week resulting in the undesirable ADF. Our cinemas now sell the tickets at the concession stand meaning one must stand in a sticky mess to purchase tickets and then proceed down a popcorn strewn carpet. I see the conditioned behaviour as a good example of excess and find the spillage due to the inability to carry so much junk food a little repulsive. Then, as you mention, there’s the non-stop rustling and munching throughout the movie. Now that we have Netflix, we don’t often visit the movies. I did keep very busy yesterday planting a lot of new shrubs I’d bought earlier in the week.

I also couldn’t help noticing while strolling the high street in Fremantle with its al fresco cafes, table after table of children with piles of hot chips and milk shakes. I tried to think maybe it’s a one-off school holiday treat, not their regular eating habit. The other thing that concerns me is people walking about with ‘food’ in hand. Are they really in such a hurry that they haven’t time to sit down and notice what they’re eating? No wonder the obesity statistics are as they are. I’m a bit of a food snob now, like a reformed smoker.

Morning all, Saturday fast day. Is there anyone doing Saturday fasting? My weight has remained exactly the same every day for a week, 59.7kgs. If my scales cold talk, they’d be saying, ‘ho hum’. But that’s better than, ‘one at a time, please’. OH is coming home today so I must get some housework done and make it look like I’ve been doing other than playing on-line bridge hands. Fortunately, my two week free trial expires to co-incide with his return.

My turn to lose a post. I accidentally shut it though 🙁

Coping with feeling cold and hungry. Babysat yesterday. Love crows. (I do know they are actually ravens). Best comment on deadly Australian animals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdihHnaOQsk My kimchi is more pickle than ferment… and so hot I can’t taste anything else ;). Short ferment time (I am the same with cheese and yoghurt, prefer them young and fresh). Love not thinking about preparing food on fast days, hooray for packet soups (or my miso soup ritual that is easy and has become automatic). Never heard of Boulia!

Well, my lost post was all about you guys, this one is all about me!

Merry SO glad you and OH are well (comparatively) and free to just take off.
    Thin, cheers to your latest 5:2 convert. Have fun with the housework.
    I’m back to Day Before Fast Day status.

Cheers all!

Why are you hungry Cinque if it’s day before fast? Go and eat something. But not vegemite because that was featured in that video among the things that could kill you in Australia. I told you it wasn’t food 😆

It feels like groundhog day. I’m siting in the same spot in the kitchen with a cuppa, with some weak sunshine trying to warm me up, same as yesterday. The only difference is that cooling off has now ended on my house sale so I have a binding contract, which feels much more secure. I’m feeling a bit more relaxed today.

Thin, despite having to stay away from bridge practice for a while I’m sure it will be nice to have your hubby home for while. Does this mean you all get to go out for your belated birthday dinner? Good luck on a Saturday fast – it’s my least favourite day to fast. Probably because my 5:2 week runs from Sun-Sat and leaving one of my fasts to the last moment feels risky. I’ve just realised that although I frequently debate adding an extra FD I never consider skipping one. I think that’s why I feel anxious if I don’t have them done with days to spare.

Cinque, that was funny clip, but they forgot the crocodiles up north.
    Cali you better not watch it, you’ll never want to come visit us.

I am with Cinque today, day before fast day. As I have no open inspections to deal with on my house or opens inspections I need to go to I have the luxury of free time. I’d almost forgotten what that felt like.
    I’m going to have a cooking day.
    Out of the fridge and freezer I have pulled 3 remaining sheets of puff pastry, a large sweet potato, a bag of spinach, 2 zucchini, a bunch of chives and a small block of feta cheese. I’m planning to turn all of that into pasties. I debated just throwing the spare pastry sheets away, but I don’t like waste. So my compromise is to make the pasties small so that I have to serve them with veggies to make a proper size meal. That should keep the calorie count and fat levels from getting too out of control.
    I’m also soaking some borlotti beans which I’ll cook later. They are for chilli con carne that I plan to make on Monday. Once that’s done I’ll have no raw ingredients in the freezer other than one packet of frozen cauli & broccoli that needs cooking, just meals to reheat. That should help me through the packing phase and also get me to an empty freezer by the end of May.

Cinque & Thin,
    Some time ago I remember reading a hilarious reaction to the creature dangers in Australia by someone visiting from the UK and I’ve just tracked it down. It’s worth a read and a giggle.
    http://www.fanforum.com/f257/gary-lightbody-appreciation-thread-1-~-b-c-without-him-there-would-no-sp-62793069/index10.html Scroll down to the fifth post on this blog. It’s the post that begins “THERE AND BACK AGAIN – Ah Australia! Or should I say Ahhhhhh! We’re back and we’re still afraid.”

Hooray LJoyce! Have a lovely easy day today cooking beautiful food.

Hi Thin, I already had a big breakfast. (Ate my vegemite, I love to flirt with danger!) I must wait for lunch now. My brain just doesn’t work reliably with hunger/satiation. I have to keep telling it I am alright for a few hours.

Omg but I would like one of those pasties LJoyce!

Cinque, I’m a bit that way with pots of tea some mornings. I made my first pot last until 9:30 and I’ve been watching the clock until 10:30 (mid morning) until I let myself have another. If I have them too close together they make me queasy, especially if I haven’t eaten much. It’s almost 10:30 now and I’ve already the kettle on in anticipation.

You’re in a lovely place today LJ – enjoy and relax! I was thinking about you on my walk this morning and how, like me, you like everything planned out. Tomorrow, Sunday will be the first in my sequence of 3 NFDs and that will feel strange. The reason I don’t like changing my FDs, and rarely do, is that I don’t believe I could trust myself to always put that extra one in, were it a ‘floater’. So I understand how you feel about Saturday fasting – I’ve done it this way because I prefer ‘one in the bank’ over ‘owing myself a FD’. Also, OH will only be here for half the day and DD works on Saturdays. I shall look at that clip now.

Cinque, living on the edge! 😆

Hi everyone, congratulations LJoyce for the sale of your house. You have done a fabulous job and deserve to have some down time before the next big challenge.

Merry so glad to hear you are planning a trip and things are going well for you.

Big hello to Thin, Cinque together with LJoyce you really keep this forum moving.

Well only three more sleeps before I start my journey home. Starting to feel lost already. Will miss my little ones so much.

There will have to be a big confession when I get home and weigh myself although I don’t feel overly overweight. Have not done any complete fast days but have tried to at least have twelve hours between meals. It will be the drinking everyday that will have done the most damage. My size 12 jeans are still comfortable.

We did an overnight trip to Brighton and experienced the fun pier. Luckily the weather did stay fine. Took the children to see Disney on Ice at Wembley. So many memories to look back on.

I went to Malta for 7 days. The first day was a washout. The seas were so heavy all sea transport was closed and the waves were crashing over the sea wall onto the road. Everyone walking along the promenade or waiting at bus stops got a drenching. Did a day trip to Gozo and Comino, still a bit rough but had a lovely day, went to the blue lagoon, the water is so clear and such a brilliant blue.

Did a side trip to Sicily on the ferry from Malta, only 2 1/2 hours. Went to Mt. Etna. I got the cable car up and it was covered in snow just wonderful. There were snow vehicles that took you nearly to the edge and a guide walked us further in. You could hear the mountain rumble it was awesome visibility was poor, low clouds, rain and sleet. Bit hairy at times but so glad I did it. The mountain was completely covered in snow, something I wasn’t expecting.

Flew from Malta to Dublin, what a contrast. Bit disappointed in Dublin Castle. Took a tour around the Jameson Whisky Distillery, I am now an official whiskey taster 🙃🙃. There was an exhibition at the GPO all
    about the rebellion which was also very interesting. Walked around St Patrick’s Cathedral, went to a Celtic dance night and had a thoroughly great time.

Not looking forward to coming home but all good things have to end unfortunately especially when you have obligations and limited funds.

Next stop Dubai for three days and home on 6th.

The weather has not been good, rain most days but not too cold. I haven’t worn some of the winter clothes i bought with me. Apparently the week I was away they had a heatwave 😳 typical.

Well I guess that sums up my adventures so far. Bye for now

What a great trip you’re having Intesha, thanks for sharing it with us! Pleased to learn that you had some fun in my home town – and possibly some fish’n’chips under the pier! All I have to write about is my fast day so I won’t bore you with that.

Happy times everyone – we have our new baby. A little girl, 3.3 kilos, born late on Thursday night. She is beautiful. We are looking after her 3 year old brother who is a. powerhouse, but such a loving little boy. We were sitting reading on the sofa this morning and I gave him a big kiss. He threw his arms around my neck, kissed me and told me he loved me and I made him very happy. Melt!
    LJ I loved that BBC recipe site – thank you. Good on you for despatching the redbacks. I am sure they have a good reason for being on this earth – but I just can’t quite think what it is.
    Merry I too made Anzac biscuits on Wednesday – but got past the point of no return before I discovered I had no oats, I substituted crushed weetbix. OK in a pinch, and better the next day apparently.
    Thin I found the La Zuppa soups too salty too – the Pitango ones seem more home-made (ie, not salty and no preservatives). re the beach and sharks. In Qld our beaches are netted and I think there’s only been one fatality off SE Qld beaches in a very very long time. It happened on our island as it happens, in 2006. A young woman went swimming in the channel that separates us from the mainland. The water goes from knee height to very deep very suddenly. She went in with her dogs, at dusk, just as the fishing boats were heading back, followed by the dreaded bull sharks. Very sad. I don’t know how the WA government will deal with the shark attacks there. Conservationists here don’t like the nets – but they seem to protect us.

And on that cheery note…..sweet dreams all.

Congratulations Lindsay, how exciting for you all! And what a sweet little grandson you have. I’ll have to check out those Pitango soups; who knows maybe I’ll deviate from my cauliflower soup one day.

That’s a horrible shark story. There is a constant battle in WA between those who feel the sharks should be left alone and those who want the drum lines. I believe the last Premier began to lose popularity, and ultimately the election, over his decisions on that subject. Personally, I just stay out of the water as I believe it’s their territory. Others feel differently I guess – man rules supreme. I believe sharks, like crocodiles, are territorial so killing one just creates a vacuum. There’s also an argument that they’re migratory so they’re not ‘WA’s sharks’ to kill. I’m not sure if those two positions are mutually exclusive viewpoints. I don’t know enough about it but it’s an emotive issue.

Good morning everyone,
    So glad it is a fast day. I need a reset.

Lindsay, Congratulations to all your family, and welcome to that dear little granddaughter! What a darling big brother she has!

Intesha, just wonderful to read your email. Precious time with family and other days exploring the world. What a wonderful variety of places too. So glad you have been able to be your world wandering self for such a good while. And still fit your jeans!
    I can imagine the restricted life isn’t beckoning you very happily, but you can start planning your next trip. 5:2 is waiting here, waving at you, to make sure you will be in great shape for it.

Thin, the important question: what soup did you have?

Awful stories of crocs and sharks. Funny and beautifully written piece you linked, LJoyce (I didn’t see it until after I last posted).
    It is all about knowing and respecting what a dangerous creature can do, and how it lives. I was so aware of all the dangers when I was in a place I didn’t know and understand (like Borroloola), but being careful about snakes in the Victorian bush, for example, is something I grew up with and was taught how to be careful and stay safe.

I’m having a tricky time with food, but being an old hand at 5:2 (comparatively) I recognise it from being here previously. I wonder if it was the same time of year? I seem to be trying to pile on weight on non fast days. I think the strategy that might help me through is to add in an 800 calorie day, and concentrate on mindful eating and distraction until I acclimatise to winter, or whatever it is. For some reason, waiting until tomorrow before I can have a good sized meal again, seems easier than waiting until 6pm!

Well, I have started the day with ginseng tea, next stop, ordinary tea. Life is full of wonderful variety!

Best wishes everyone.

Viewing 50 posts - 15,701 through 15,750 (of 28,017 total)

You must be logged in to reply.