Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 2 days, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 15,651 through 15,700 (of 28,011 total)

• Can’t you just sit down and relax LJ? I have plenty of experience with that paving business, both with brick pavers and the larger kind. Just last weekend, I was doing some again because I sold all our verticores which OH had been saving ‘just in case’ ever since we finished our extension many years ago. I found some interesting bottles under there. The only way to really do it properly is to level the entire lot at the same time. If it’s a small area like mine was, I wet it down and leave it (obviously not practical to compact a small area). The next day, I rake yellow sand across it. It’s incredible how just a few grains of sand in the wrong place can make the paver wobbly. I’m sure yours looks wonderful.

Merry, thanks for asking – we managed to end the battle over the airbnb activity next door but not before they got away with it for the entire summer. We then lost the war as our council subsequently approved short-stay rentals for the suburb. We’re fairly confident that they won’t approve one in our little street after the backlash they received. Not in the immediate future anyway. We now have long-term tenants next door. I wonder how Lindsay’s rental next door has been going?

Thin, I wouldn’t say the paving looks wonderful, but it is better than it was. The rain over the past 2 years has washed some of the supporting sand down through the ag pipe and instead of flat paving it was undulating. It actually needs to be removed, have more sand added and leveled and relaid. That’s not what I did – I just pulled up the worst of the pavers, leveled the sand that was there and then relaid them. It means that where they abut the top of the retaining wall they sit a couple of cms lower than they should, but at least they are all flat now so it looks fine.

I went and did the grocery shopping in Coles this evening and noticed some new additions amongst the pre-prepared veggies. I’ve seen large bags of cauliflower rice before, but this store had meal sized packets of it. They also had a range of spiralized veggies (the spaghetti shaped strands that you can use instead of pasta) – they had different combinations of carrot, sweet potato and pumpkin. (I mostly make it from zucchini myself.) Makes it easy for those who either don’t own the gadgets to make these themselves, or don’t want to spend the time. I didn’t buy any, I was only in that section to find a bag of baby spinach.

I had a lovely dinner. I had marinated some broccoli and chicken thighs in tandoori paste and kefir which I cooked in the airfryer. Tonight I had this with some of the red lentil coconut dahl from the freezer. It was a really nice combination as the mild dahl moderated the very spicy tandoori flavours. Sometimes trying to use what’s in the freezer means new flavour combinations that are actually worth remembering.

Hope you are all having a nice evening.
    I’m close to ready for tomorrow’s open inspection, I just need to wash some of the floors just before bed (I’ve found that’s the only way to let them dry without footprints.)

Hi everyone! I haven’t been able to post for a while as we have been without internet for over a week – thanks Telstra 🙁

I have spent the last couple of days catching up on all your posts. It has been interesting to read what you have all been up to and how you are doing in life in general. To those people that have been unwell, I hope you are feeling better. I have also had the dreaded cold/virus and it has been hanging on for the past week or so but I am on the mend now.

Regarding the miso discussion. I love it 😊 I was using the instant sachets but since I am more aware of the salt in my food, I have switched to the paste. It has much less salt in it and I can also avoid MSG or other flavour enhancers. I usually make a ‘cuppa’ soup of miso for lunch at work on a FD as it helps me get through to dinner time. Cinque, the info you wrote about miso was great! I didn’t know it had probiotics in it but I knew it was somehow good for me.
    I made dashi a few weeks ago when I made the agedashi tofu. I used the bonito flakes and later added mirin, soy sauce and something else I can’t remember. I used an Adam Liaw recipe if anyone is interested.

I’ve been back to the doctors today for my review after starting the blood pressure medication. I have been taking my readings every morning for the past month and took those in with me. She was very happy with my measurements. Then she measured my blood pressure and of course it was high again! White coat hypertension it’s called and I definitely have it!

I have been a little slack with my FDs. I have still been doing them just not sticking to the 500 cals.. My weight has stayed about the same but I really want it to go down so have started back to strict FDs. When I wasn’t feeling well I was craving unhealthy comfort food but I managed to avoid them. I made a yummy chicken broth and had that instead.

Oh I forgot to mention my cholesterol was high last time I had a blood test and it was a fasting blood test. This time it was significantly lower even with a non fasting blood test. I am happy with that and so was the doctor. I put the drop in cholesterol down to the fasting and my weight loss.

LJoyce I hope your house sale is going well. You have really worked hard to get the good results.

Ladies, the op shop shopping sounds like fun! Hopefully I will need to visit one soon when I lose enough weight that even my saved ‘thinner’ clothes don’t fit me ( I mean the clothes I kept even though I couldn’t fit into them anymore)

I hope everyone is going well xx

Hi everyone
    9.25pm Tuesday
    Have just found time to read all your interesting posts.

Yesterday morning resulted in a hacking of my computer, so anxious times since then, bank details currently frozen but gladly, no monies lost (reset passwords, etc tomorrow at bank). Telstra is tracing my home phone for 8 days! My PC is going to a local technician tomorrow. Could have been a whole lot worse!

Just wanted to wish LJ all the best with your open home tomorrow. I hope things happen in a positive way real soon!

Will answer other posts when able! Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Good morning everyone,

Quacka welcome back. How annoying that you’ve had internet issues – Teapot had similar problems last week. Despite the fact that I’m never conscious of anxiety when at the GPs I usually do have higher BP there than at home – that’s pretty common. It’s why those records you kept for your at home readings are so important. It sounds like the meds are doing their job. Well done on the cholesterol improvement, I also found weight loss helped mine.
    Op shopping is fun, but I warn you it can become addictive and if you aren’t ruthless about donating the clothing you no longer wear back to the op shops then you’ll need a bigger wardrobe! I have a one in one out policy – it was the only way to stop my wardrobe bulging at the seams.

Arel, what a scary thing to happen, and what a relief that it was discovered before they took any funds. It’s the only thing that scares me about internet banking. I hope you get it fixed soon and put some really strong passwords in place.

Another NFD for me, but I’m aiming for one of Cinque’s snack free NFDs, as too many of yesterday’s snacks contained sugar. To complicate matters I’m baking carrot & walnut muffins this morning so that I can again leave some baked goods for those who come to the open inspection. Not trying any myself will be a challenge.
    Because I did so much yesterday I don’t have much to do to get ready for this afternoon’s open. I’ll rake up a few leaves and put out the bedding etc that I just use for staging and I think that’s it.

Arel, I’m sure the bank can advise on creating strong passwords but thought I’d share a method of creating something that’s strong but easily remembered. You take a word and a number that you can remember (they need to either have the same number of characters or have just one more or less). Then you alternate them. So I’ll give an example using a 5 character word and a 4 digit number. For example if you choose “beach” and 2845 then it creates this password: b2e8a4c5h To make it even stronger either replace a character or letter with a symbol or add a symbol to the password and change one or some of the lower case letters to capitals, so b2e8a4c5h could become b2e8A4c$h If you tried to remember this password as written it would be really difficult, but by basing it on a simple word and number that you do remember it’s actually fairly easy. The other thing to remember with passwords is that you musn’t reuse them – every bank or credit account must have a password that you don’t use for anything else. Hope this helps.

Good morning,
    Merry! 🙂 So delighted to see your post. Sorry you couldn’t get your project to 100%, I hope when the next opportunity rolls around that your 85% done will count. And the other 15% you will do!
    And now you have tumbled into the gorgeous but exhausting grandma duty. Good luck.
    I do so hope that next on your list is a chance to settle down and concentrate on your health, including getting 5:2 slotted back into your life and daily visits to the 5:2 website!

A sunny, chilly morning here in Melbourne, breakfast has steamed up the kitchen!
    Day before fast day for me. I might just have eaten a larger breakfast than I really need, so tomorrow will be welcome.

LJoyce how you described your thinking reminds me of when I was trying to price things to sell at the market. I was really stressed that I couldn’t find the right price. I said to my sister, “I chose this price, because that one seems too high, and the other one seems too low”. And she said “well, you probably have it right.”
    Maybe you are like that with your fast days at the moment. You have probably got it right, and if you haven’t well, time is your friend, you will work it out and respond as necessary.

Sending good wishes for open house today!

Thin, you make me hungry for mung beans.

I sometimes start feeling like 5:2 is a constraint, and wonder about just not doing it. That is balanced out by other times when I just feel like I am acing 5:2, in the zone with the rhythm of those fast days.

I think the harder times is when life is harder anyway, and most things are feeling too hard. I am realising that I can remind myself that 5:2 is such a good tool for managing difficult times, and there will be blips, and they will pass. Even if a blip was so bad I did stop 5:2, it would be there to pick up once I was ready.

Other than that self talk, vanity keeps me doing 5:2. In other words it is as you say: fear keeping me thin!

Enjoy your cafe meeting.

PS Wombok is also called napa cabbage. The one I made my kimchi out of 🙂

Cali, you are like me with your wardrobe. I have had to become super strict with myself and only buy something new if it is better that what I already have in my wardrobe. I have just gone through my summer stuff and I have been so severe, but very pleased to be creating a smaller, gorgeouser wardrobe.
    (AND I have realised I have to do the same with my recipes, I just keep collecting more and it is just ridiculous!)

Quakka, so glad that Telstra has deigned to let you talk to us! Commiserations re the dreaded lurgy, glad to hear you are getting over it. Congratulations on eating beautiful home made chicken soup instead of timtams.

Thanks for the miso compliment! I remember you making the agedashi tofu (don’t I?). (No I’m sure I do) (Very yum). That is interesting that the miso pastes have much less salt.

Congratulations getting your cholesterol down. That is so good for your health!
    Interesting article re blood pressure guidelines in The Conversation yesterday: https://theconversation.com/new-blood-pressure-guidelines-may-make-millions-anxious-that-theyre-at-risk-of-heart-disease-93349

I remember that excitement of getting into my ‘saved thinner clothes”. And then some of them became too big for me! :0

Arelkade, how awful to have been hacked! I do hope it all gets sorted with no skin off you, apart from the hassle which is obviously unavoidable. So depressing too.

Well I am off for a coffee, and then veggie shopping, with my good friend. That will give a chance for my big (delicious) breakfast to be properly digested. So looking forward to a coffee as I ran out yesterday and by the time I bought some it was after 3 and a bit late in the day (insomnia). First world problem… but I am not complaining, just REALLY looking forward to a coffee today!

Hope you have a similarly wonderful day ahead of you! Cheers all!

Good morning everyone 🙂
    Yes Cinque it was me that made the agedashi tofu 🙂 mmmmm
    I wanted everyone to know that I have received four emails from this forum website this morning saying that I can’t respond on here and need to click on a link. I’m wondering if any of you have had the same emails???
    I’m worried now since Arel has been hacked. I have just deleted the emails without clicking on n the link but I hope it’s not hackers trying to get in!
    I don’t remember receiving emails from here before ever.
    Please everyone be careful x

well done Quacka – any emails which appear to be “strange” need to be deleted without opening – whether they have a link or not. I have not received any emails from this forum, so the emails which you have received could have been “phishing” emails.
    Cinque – OMG running out of coffee, that’s a punishable crime :-))

Hi everyone

Just wanting to share my very happy news – jumped on the scale today, immediately had tears in my eyes: 74.8kg – just under my first goal hurdle of 75kg – it’s been 27 years since this weight (except when I was really ill in 1991 and got down to 55kg unwillingly) Next major goal 65kg, but 70kg will be just fine! Fingers crossed!!!

WARNING: My computer is with the technician post hacking episode. I’m usually very strong and diligent when it comes to those phone calls wanting to fix your computer. BUT Monday am every number I rang from home phone was engaged signal – Telstra fixed it straight away. 1 1/2 hours later, phone call said they were from Telstra, called me by name, and said they were aware I’d had a problem with my phone and needed to fix the line via my computer.
    Usually, I’d be cautious, but the info they gave added up and they ended up with remote access to my computer😨 When I saw the bank webpage with my account details and balance on the screen, I hung up the phone and turned PC off with the on/off button immediately. Reported to Telstra – they are monitoring phone for 8 days; online bank accounts get reinstated today. Telstra said they never ring customers in that way – only let remote control happen if you ring them! Hard lesson learned. We have blocked that phone number from ringing us – they are very insistent! I do feel an employee within Telstra is possibly also employed by the hackers – just a thought! Keep safe.
    All will be well real soon.

Lots of best wishes to each of you, be you losing, maintaining, plateauing or on a bit of a rise! We’re all in this together and it is working 😉

Bye for now!

Arel congratulations of getting to your first mini-goal. I think every milestone helps your motivation to get to the next one.
    If they had info that only Telstra should know then I think you are right to be suspicious of an insider selling info. Mostly I just hang up, but once I thought a call from a government department might be legit so I asked for their number and then said I’d call them back. They actually gave me a number and I rang the department they said they were from, explained what had happened and asked if the number was one of theirs – it wasn’t. If they are legit, they won’t mind you calling them back.

Sybs, running out of coffee – I feel the same about tea. You should see the size of my tea stash – I think I have several months worth in the pantry.

Cinque, Hope you had an enjoyable outing and have come home to cook lots of lovely meals with those new veggies.

I’ve been thinking my commitment to just 2 FDs per week – it’s only half the solution. I also need to start addressing my recent tendency to eat treat foods pretty much every NFD. My ideal is to limit these things to one day a week, but I’m going to start slow and work my way up. I’m committing to doing 2 NFDs this week with no treat foods, just healthy choices. If I feel like sugar I need to have a piece of fruit. As they are NFDs, I’m not imposing any calorie restriction, just that all food choices need to be healthy ones. That’s the approach I’m taking to today. I think this combined with going back to the 2FDs is the right direction to get me back to the eating pattern I had before easter.

LJoyce – how about not having any treats available – would that work for you? It does for me – I am one of these weird people who does NOT like sugar added to anything, however, I am pretty addicted to dark chocolate. So, since I started on 5:2 on 01 February I have not bought any chocolate. Now my go to is an apple, a plum, a nectarine, or whatever fruit is in season, but I try to stay away from bananas. Bread is another of my weaknesses, which means that I don’t have any in the house. But on NFDs I do allow myself one (or two) of the small Vita Wheat 9 seed crackers with just a smear of peanut butter.

Well done Arel! Just wanted to say congratulations 🙂

LJoyce I also have recently had to look at how I view 5:2. It was going so well for me that I started to let my FDs slip a little. A little turned into a lot and then I really couldn’t call it a FD anymore. I know yours are the NFDs and I think you have the right idea about just trying to eat healthy foods on those days. I hope it all works out for you. 🙂

Arel, that was very bad timing causing you to let your guard down because of the activities immediately preceeding the fraud – or as you say, a possible inside job. Well done for getting it sorted out so quickly and it sounds like you are normally very vigilant. We get spates of idiots calling from the ‘Windows technical division’. It’s always an interstate number. We’d hang up, they’d call back. I started answering the phone ‘Australian Federal Police’ and they hung up quickly. Probably a crime in itself. But the best news is your new low weight – fantastic!

Cinque, I enjoyed your long post this morning and thought ‘Cinque must be feeling very good right now’ but now I can’t recall a thing about it except that I know you made some philosophical comments about fasting sustainability. Have a great FD tomorrow. I have just had my miso soup.

LJ, I hope you had a productive open house. Hello Sybs. Couldn’t live without my coffee or my bananas for that matter. Quacka, I hope you get your online and internet woes sorted and also get back in the swing of fasting well.

I had my peppermint tea at the cafe. The other two had a a hunk of lemon meringue pie with a hot chocolate and a full cooked breakfast respectively. 5:2 did come up but there was only mild interest as you might imagine.

Quick update.
    The agent received an offer on my house this afternoon and is waiting for another to come in tonight. He’s meant to call me when that happens.
    No call yet. I won’t have fingernails left at this rate!

Thanks for all the well wishes, they worked a little too well. I didn’t expect things to move quite this fast. You guys are more powerful than you thought.

We did LJ! Congratulations! That’s great news.

Evening all. Been reading all the messages from the past few days. Today has been a FD for me and I think today was the best one for me yet. No stressing about it, no over thinking it, just getting on with it. So extremely happy about it. Dentist tomorrow so major yuck day.

Hope everyone has a great day/night.

Hi everyone.

Thank you all for the nice, encouraging comments re my recent goal achievement – still in shock! Also, thank you for all comments re recent computer hacking. The persistent phone calls are a nightmare – I’ve blocked one via our phone, but the others are ‘private number’ or ‘out of area’ showing on our phone. Thinking of getting brand new ‘private’ home phone that’s not listed anywhere!

LJoyce: thank you for your password suggestion – been at it frantically, changing major passwords esp where money could be spent!
    Congrats on your recent sale offer – your home is too gorgeous to last too long on the market. Maybe you will end up with a silent auction if more than one really wants your home – I wish you good luck!

Thin: Had a laugh at ‘Australian Federal Police’ to answer the phone, possibly a great idea and possibly illegal, but it worked for you!

I promise not to mention hacking episode again – picking up my pc this afternoon!
    Have to get back on track and ‘healthy normality’.

I wish for each of you a wonderful, relaxing day with many pleasures 😊

Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Good morning everyone
    Just wanted to wish you all a happy day. I know I say it a lot, but it’s lovely to be a part of this group. The support and encouragement we give each other is really refreshing in this world where no one else seems to really care. X

Good morning everyone!

Happy day to you too Quacka! I hope the emails stopped, I didn’t get any. Congratulations on making your fast days fastier again.
    It is fasciating how they start turning themselves into non fast days if we relax for a minute!

Hi Paula, how good to hear of your best fast day yet! It is like learning a new skill, isn’t it. We need a Fast Day Mastery Certificate to hand out when we nail it.
    Good luck today, I hope you have a lovely dentist, it makes such a difference.

Sybs, true statement about coffee rules. It is a long time since I last ran out of coffee, and hopefully an even longer time before I do so again!
    Congratulations on keeping dark chocolate free too.

Arelkade, Woot for being in the low 70’s now! ooh you will settle happily into that bracket! (And then you will have to get ready to say goodbye to the 70’s).

LJoyce, so exciting to have things moving on the sale! An offer already! I hope it isn’t too nailbiting between now and when it is all signed off. Keep looking after yourself. I think you will feel really good to cut out treats altogether on a couple of days.

Thin, I was philosophical AND vain. 🙂 Best way to do 5:2!
    Ha, your coffee friends don’t sound very 5:2 minded!

I have my shiitake and yuba soaking, and broccoli and carrot for my miso soup tonight. That is my classic combination.

I had a wonderful coffee yesterday, and a good shop with my friend. I now have more veggies than I need (I got seduced, they are lovely at this time of year). I’ll manage ;).

Best wishes everyone for a good day.

I have been doing 5:2 since 1 February, and been reading and sometimes posting on this forum about the same. My observations about the forum:
    1. incredibly supportive
    2. no nasties (posters and/or comments) – wonderful
    3. not just a diet forum, but a community of people who are working at, and knowledgeable about, healthy food and eating in general, and willing to share (life) experiences
    4. discovering / rediscovering a WOL which makes us feel good about ourselves

so, congratulations to everyone who is part of the SH 5:2 forum.

Just dropping in to say hello, after being gone for far too long. It’s been a dreadful month – but more in a minute. I just wanted to agree with this morning’s posts about what a wonderful, supportive, kind forum this is. I’ve never become involved in an online group before, but after being here for some months now, many of you feel like old friends.
    My horrible month? I’ll gloss over it. Just home from holidays and my husband got a really bad dose of the flu …he’s on his third dose of antibiotics, and still isn’t 100%. He is only now getting his amusing disposition back (thank goodness!). Then I twisted my knee in the carpark – a torn meniscus, which may or may not improve enough to avoid surgery. Grrrr…
    My good news though is that I am at my lowest weight for quite a while. I’ve shed my holiday gain, and am on a downward spiral again. I am also managing my FDs better – I don’t know if it’s in the plan, but I reserve 25 calories for half a square of Lindt chocolate each night. It seems to satisfy the urge. I have also found diet ginger beer has the same effect. I have a glass over ice at that tricky hour when it’s too early for dinner, but hunger is making itself felt. I’d rather not have it but it does seem to get me through.

Lindsay, OMG – torn meniscus – I know just how that feels. Did it a long time ago in a snow skiing mishap – the result: my leg from half way up to my hip to the ankle in plaster for 6 weeks – needles to say – I never again enjoyed downhill skiing:-((

But congratulations on your “downward” spiral. You must be so strong to be able to stop at 1/2 a square of Lindt chocolate – I would just gobble down the lot. That’s why I don’t have any chocolate in the house. My substitute, when the craving gets to me, is about 2 tsp good quality cocoa powder (not drinking chocolate or Milo), mixed with 1 sachet of equal and mixed in with 2 or 3 tbsp of yoghurt. Not the same as Lindt by a long shot, but I get the choc taste.

Hope your OH recovers soon

Ariel, congrats on getting to your new low weight! Now it’s only a matter of time til you reach your final goal. The 60’s are in sight!

LJoyce, so happy to hear that you already have an offer on your home – or maybe 2! Your house shows so beautifully, I’m not surprised. You may have to make a decision on a home to purchase very soon. Do you still have more homes to look at? How long is closing there? Here it’s usually 30 days but can be longer or shorter by agreement. I’m so excited for you!

Lindsay, I’m sorry to hear about your OH having such a tenacious case of the flu. And your knee. That must be painful. Heal quickly! Do you have to wear a cast?

Second post for the day – feast or famine. I went back to look for my last post but it was so long ago it is lost in the ether, so I’ll just go with the things I can remember as I read the forum most days.
    Quacka we’ve been internet victims too. Mine keeps dropping out – hardly anything at all since the beginning of April despite numerous calls to Exetel. And the speeds! so so low. So a man was meant to come yesterday – still waiting. Didn’t stop them from sending their monthly bill though and warning me my data on my phone was just about used up (mmmm….that would be because I have to use the phone instead of home internet).
    LJ I love the pictures of your home – how can you bear to leave? The floors look superb, and the garden is so so pretty. What an amazing job you’ve done.
    Thin does ‘short-stay rentals’ for your suburb mean Air BnB? Aren’t these Councils toads? We heard of a few properties being offered as Air BnBs on our island, with guests taking them for a weekend, and holding 48 hour parties. More toads.
    My neighbours (thank you for asking) have quietened down since my husband crawled out of his sick bed at 1 am a couple of weeks ago, and shouted ‘will you please keep the noise down’. I hope he didn’t wake other neighbours in the process, but short-term it has had an effect. I do get anxious on weekends though because they pile on the back verandah from around mid-day Friday. Hope we have a freezing winter, to keep them inside.
    Arel, brilliant news that you are in the low 70s. Such an achievement.
    Calif I am not in a cast yet – but if it’s not improving soon, it’s the next step before surgery.
    Sybs I’ve never been skiing – but at least you got your injury having fun, not tripping in a carpark!
    Have a good night all.

Good afternoon/evening SHs,

The second offer on the house came in but was low, so no real competition for the first offer which was very good. The agent thinks that there is still genuine interest that he doesn’t have letters of offer for yet so there will be another open on Sunday. Also a couple who saw it last night want to see it again tomorrow so I’ll have to get it in order tonight so it’s ready to show to them – hopefully it will get them to the point of an offer.

I joined the 21st century today! I’m transferring my ADSL2 to broadband from 1st May and I bought an iphone today. I think I was the only person on the planet who was still using an old fashioned mobile. My costs will be slightly higher, but not as much as I feared. Unbelievably I’ve been told my NBN speed will be slightly slower than I currently get on ADSL2, but I have no option as where I live now gets switched over to just NBN next month and without a connection I’ll lose my internet access.

As I was out for much of the day I had a cafe lunch, so today doesn’t qualify as a healthy NFD. That means that Saturday will need to be if I’m to meet my promise of doing 2 healthy NFDs this week. Tomorrow I’m fasting.

Sybs I agree with your comments. This forum has helped me through thick and thin (literally and figuratively). When I’m having a weak moment there is somewhere I know I can turn to for the strength I’m struggling to find.

Lindsay, you have my sympathies. I too have had a torn meniscus, the repair with an arthroscopy initially went well, but unfortunately it made my rheumatoid flare up and the resulting inflammation caused so much damage I had to have a knee replacement – I don’t think that’s a normal side effect so don’t panic. I hope your knee settles without surgery.

I’m sorry I don’t have time to reply to all those post over the last 24 hours. I really need to get back to tidying and cleaning the house for tomorrow’s viewing. This routine is getting irritating quickly, I’ve never recleaned things so often in my life.

Hope you are all having a good FD or NFD.

Hi everyone

On a good note – things seem to be finally sorted with recent computer event. Feeling so much happier! Not sure of mobile coverage for next 10 days, so may not be available online for forum!

I hope each of you will be enjoying whatever you will be getting up to, be they keeping up with 5:2, selling houses, creating new business opportunities, living along side quiet neighbours, getting better healthwise, enjoying time with family and friends, etc!!!😉

I’ll catch up when available. Wishing you all well.
    Fraser Island beckons 😃
    Bye for now!

Good morning everyone,
    It is a lovely morning but I am just taking something for a nasty headache, so I will type quietly until it works.
    I had a good fast day yesterday, with some soup in the middle of the day so I was in the right mood for a visitor and chat.
    Sunday I am babysitting for most of the day, so I will swap my fast day over to Monday, unless I spark up impressively and decide to do it tomorrow!

Quacka, I keep thinking about your post yesterday, and if I am correctly reading between the lines, you are having a rotten time at the moment. So I am sending some extra good wishes and lighting a little tea light for you to send a bit of friendliness through the day.

LJoyce all that cleaning! They’d better get a good offer in quick smart so you can get a break!

Sybs, such lovely and true points. This forum is always a treat to come to.

Lindsay, so glad that awful month is over. I hope this next one is MUCH better, especially for your knee. And that the nice weightloss continues. How nice to end the day with a taste of Lindt.

Arelkade, how nice to have Fraser island in sight. Enjoy your fortnight!

Best wishes everyone

Good morning Arel, Lindsay, Cali, Thin, Cinque, Sybs, Paula, Quacka, Teapot, and anyone else who’s reading.

FD for me and I’m just about to have my third and final cup of tea – that’s all I could squeeze out of the small pot I use. (They are tea cups not big mugs in case you’re thinking I must be swimming in tea by now – not that that doesn’t happen on occasion!) I have a bowl of cauliflower cheese soup ready to go for dinner and I’ll have 1-2 pieces of fruit during the day if I need them. I find my FDs mostly fall into 2 categories. Mostly I get through the day to late afternoon with just water and tea and I don’t look for food – on those days I don’t need the fruit. But some days I’m looking for food by lunch time and knowing I have enough calories spare to have a fruit snack or even a hot milk drink if I need it really helps. This seems to be something I’m never ambivalent about anymore – I either really want the snack or I don’t. That’s probably a good thing as I hope it means I’m in touch with my body’s hunger signals rather than eating for the sake of it.

Unfortunately there is rain forecast for this afternoon and the sky is becoming overcast. That means the garden won’t show as well as it could during this afternoon’s viewing. Never mind, I can’t control the weather. I’m still trying to get the washing I did yesterday dry so I can put it away before the potential buyers get here. I really shouldn’t have washed the knits, they take too long to dry. If all else fails I can pile the damp clothes into the washing machine and close the door.

Lindsay, there are things I will miss about this house, floor boards and garden included, but I am certain that moving to flat ground and a small low maintenance block that’s closer to medical services is the right long term decision. I could have delayed it for another decade, providing my health and mobility remained good. There’s no guarantee of that unfortunately – I’ve had several years of being barely mobile with the aid of a walking stick and not being able to go into certain steep areas of my own garden. I couldn’t even take my own rubbish bins down to the road because the driveway was too steep (thankfully I have lovely neighbours who helped). That experience has made me cautious and I know I can’t take my current good health for granted.

Cali, 30 day settlements are the norm here too, shorter is not common, especially if a mortgage is involved. I have asked the agent to try and negotiate a longer settlement if possible – I’m hoping he can get the buyer to agree to 60 days as it will give me time to find the next home without rushing the decision. However if the buyers need a quick settlement then I wouldn’t jeopardise a good sale price by insisting on a longer settlement.

Time I raked up some leaves and checked the house for dust. Surprising there is dust on things despite the frequent cleaning.

Have a good day everyone.

Hi All,

I’ve been back from my travels to California and allowed myself a week of jet lag recovery before resuming 5:2 proper. So today is my first FD for a month. As I wrote (probably pages ago) I got by while traveling by skipping unnecessary meals and making wholesome and carefully considered food choices. It all worked and I fit perfectly into the dress I took with me to wear to my nephew’s wedding! I even arrived home lighter than when I left. …Well, that’s how much I weighed a week ago! Now that I’m back with the stress of my day to day life and not on holiday, the emotional eating pattern has crept back in. …Is why I’m giving even more thanks for this FD!

…So far, so good with that too! I’ve had less than 100 calories so far and it is after 5 pm.

Thankfully my work days have been cut back down to a 5 day work week, though 3 of the 5 span 10 hours, so I’ll continue to pop my head in occasionally here. I just wanted to let you all know I’m still around and still practicing 5:2.

Hi Minka! Welcome back!
    It sounds like a wonderful trip and a lovely wedding for your nephew.
    Oh dear, how annoying to find your old eating habits waiting for you at home with your old stresses. Typical though. Soon your strategies will settle into place and your newest habits will triumph.
    So glad that work has calmed down a lot, although ten hour days are brutal!
    It is really lovely to know we will see you here a bit.

LJoyce, hope yesterday went well.
    So interesting what you have noticed about snack or no snack on Fast Days.

I had a shocker day yesterday, I ate way too much. All good food but I don’t know what got into me. Today won’t be like that, from what I feel now.

I hope everyone else had a better day than me yesterday, and have a really good day today.

Welcome back Minka. I hope the wedding went well and congratulations on your excellent controlled eating while away. I hope we’ll hear more from you now that you have an extra day ‘off’.

Feast days are important Cinque! Especially with healthy food. I am also in feasting mode, though not altogether a healthy one. The colder weather seems to have kick-started my appetite. Looking forward to tomorrow’s break in the trend.

Lindsay, sorry to hear about your and OH’s health woes. I doubt your OH disturbed any neighbours when telling the inconsiderates to quieten down; surely they, too, were already awake and very grateful. I hope you’re both soon on the mend.

Arel, please do keep talking about the cyber breeches, it was courageous of you to mention it and I appreciated being reminded to remain vigilant. I hope everything got taken care of safely and that you’re now relaxing on Fraser Island. Are there still wild dingos on Fraser? I’d love to visit.

LJ, I hope your agent has one of those offers locked in by now and you can focus all your attention on finding a new place to call home.

CalifD, Quacka, Sybs, Merry, Paula, good morning all.

Good morning all and welcome to the weekend. After a rainy night the sun has come out here and will hopefully remain for the rest of the weekend.

The viewing yesterday did not result in another offer. The couple who wanted a second look are downsizing but got cold feet when they realised they’d have less space and have to get rid of lots of stuff. Hopefully Sunday will do better. It’s meant to be 25C and sunny – perfect day for wandering around the garden. I’m hoping more interest eventuates from the Sunday open, but if not I will probably accept the highest offer I already have – it’s not far under what I was secretly hoping for.

Minka, welcome home. It sounds like you had a good time in California and I think that approach to food when traveling is a good one. I hope you get back into the swing of 5:2 quickly.

Cinque, I’m sure you will nip the excessive behaviour in the bud quite quickly – you usually seem to. I had a very hungry FD yesterday, which was preceded by a NFD which also involved excess. Today I’m on a treat free NFD.

I decided not to go to any open inspections today as there really wasn’t much that I hadn’t seen before and what remained were things I’d decided weren’t worth my time as they aren’t that appealing. Tomorrow I’m going back to one I’d seen and discarded but think I should give a second chance to. It’s got a lot going for it – it’s in my favourite corner of one of my preferred suburbs, it’s completely detached, it’s brand new, it has a kitchen that’s actually big enough for me with white marble look ceasarstone, it has floating wood floors in the hall and living areas, it has a free standing bath, it has a good sized verandah under the main roof and it’s walking distance to a big shopping centre, bus stops, taxi rank etc. I had rejected it for 2 main reasons – the back faces west and the spare bedrooms have high strip windows rather than normal sized windows and I though it made them feel like bunkers rather than bedrooms. I can resolve the afternoon sun on the back of the house with blinds, although with the amount of development surrounding it, not a lot of sun gets through. I need to go back into those spare bedrooms and just see whether they do get enough light. I want to use one as a craft room and I need reasonable light for that. I can add LEDs to the ceiling but it’s not the same. Basically on reflection it has a lot of things in its favour and if I can live with the drawbacks then it’s a very good option.

I’ve taken my last litre of minestrone out of the freezer. I’m adding some extra veg, stock and also some pasta to it. I’ll have some on my next FD (without much of the pasta). With the pasta and some toast it will be a filling dinner for the next couple of NFDs.

Because I cleaned for yesterday’s viewing there’s a lot less I need to do today. I might walk into town and buy some bread.

Good morning Thin – your post popped up while I was writing.

I meant to tell you all what I figured out on Thursday when I went to the GP for my flu shot. If the weather is fine I usually park 2-3 blocks away and walk as it’s a lovely suburb with tree lined streets. I’ve been doing things like this for a while and thought it added a few incidental steps to my day. As I don’t use a fitbit I decided to work out my steps the same way I would my pulse – count for a timed short period and then multiply. Walking 10 mins each way to the doctor and back was approx 2500 steps. I was wearing a narrow skirt and sandals so they were probably shorter steps than if I’d been in jeans, but I was surprised that it was that many. I think I need to keep parking further away from things – perhaps add an extra block to the distance. On days when I’m sitting a lot these extra steps will be very handy.

LJoyce – I hope things wind down a bit after your incredibly busy time getting your house ready for viewing. I like the way you calculate steps – maybe I should try it :-))

On the issue of “steps” I though I’d share a funny story.
    My workplace used to hold an annual steps challenge. They encouraged groups of 5 to form and enter the challenge. The aim was to be the group with the most steps over the specified period. They loaned pedometers to all participants. It was quite a popular activity and being in a group meant people tried harder as they didn’t want to let their group down.
    One group was doing amazing well, but were disqualified when one of the team members admitted that it hadn’t been her wearing the pedometer – she’d strapped it to her shih tzu! 😀
    In case you’ve never seen one, this is a shih tzu https://www.quora.com/How-can-you-tell-if-a-puppy-is-a-Shih-Tzu-or-a-Lhasa-Apso They’re hard to miss – they seem to be really popular these days – and apparently they run around a lot when wearing a pedometer.

Well hello Southern Hemispherites…..yes it’s been awhile but I’m still lurking in the background although totally out of the loop with forum conversations from the last few months.

The onset of menopause is playing havoc with my body. I’m 3-5 kg over my goal weight and even tbough im a little disappointed that I’ve put that amount back on i accept it given my situation. I feel like im retaining so much fluid and my weight fluctuates by 1-2 kg daily. In saying that im still eating well and doing high intensity workouts most days. Hot flushes and fatigue are taking their toll on me in a big way.

OH, Miss D and I are off to Bali for 2 weeks in 10 days time so really looking forward to some time out with the ones I love.

Although I’ve maintained 5:2 to some degree i havent been as vigilant as i should have over the last few months so will endeavour to be more focused when we return from Bali.

I hope everyone is travelling well….take care.

Hi everyone

Currently staying overnight in Ballina NSW heading for Fraser Island QLD tomorrow for a week.
    May/may not have mobile reception – still not sure. I’ll post as able.

Enjoy the rest of this weekend and have fun doing whatever you will be getting up to. Bye for now!

It is a still, grey, peaceful morning in my part of Melbourne.

Habits… it is strange to have a Non Fast Sunday. My babysitting duties have changed as the littlest one is crook, but I will take the three year old for most of the day. I’ll talk again when I have recovered 😉

Thin, thanks. It is useful to think of Friday as a feast day. And yes, it was just one day.

LJoyce, good luck for the inspection today, both the people coming to inspect your place, and you going for a second look at the other place. I do hope its flaws seem workable. You’ll have to fill your workroom with mirrors to increase the light.

Gday, so good to hear from you. So much sympathy for all those difficulties around menopause. It is like being thrown into a clothes dryer! I hope you are finding some help.(eg ps://www.menopause.org.au/health-info if you haven’t seen it already).
    Bali sounds brilliant! It seems like we are all playing tag in visiting there, including my sister and other friends! Have a wonderful easy holiday and we’ll look forward to having you back with Fastier Fast Days.
    You don’t mention anaemia, is that under control now?

Arelkade, just ‘overnighting in Ballina’ sounds wonderful. I wonder if the internet will let you give us a postcard from Fraser Island? Otherwise we will hear all about it when you get back. Best wishes.

Time to get ready for the day! Best wishes all

PS: Thin
    https://i.pinimg.com/474x/c8/e7/07/c8e70799102ea097daf24cd50f134a06.jpg
    Haha, and one that is a little less narcissistic
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1dN8Ycqby4
    sort of….
    🙂

Good morning Cinque. I loved your two links, thank you! Instead of a real birthday celebration, I got to have two virtual birthday celebrations! What a clever guy in the video, but I loved the first one best. You are funny and made me laugh. I did send you a cryptic clue indicating which day but I don’t know whether you caught it and were too subtle to mention (thank you, if so) or whether it was too ridiculous to notice. You were supposed to think, “what on earth is she talking about?’ and then it would click, but then again, perhaps that thought gets applied to much of the content of my posts. I shall leave it there! Thank you again for your kind thoughts. Have a lovely day with one little tot. Not too many hot chips!

I have been awake since 5am with the consistent drum of distant thunder. It has now developed into a rainstorm. I have covered up the lizards. The ‘babies’ have also had a birthday this week – their first. It is now too late to hope for more twins this season.

Today is my last day alone. The week whizzed by. I had no laundry or ironing and no dinners to cook. A pot of mung bean soup lasted me for four nights before I decided to freeze the remainder. I had a mushroom and mozarella omelette one night and nothing on another night. And there were two fast days so I must have had an eight day week. I enjoyed a 12km walk into town one day, attending a shareholders’ meeting while there (with a bit too much to eat for that time of day) and a good massage another day (because I was sore from humping pavers about). I did a lot of gardening, practiced a lot of bridge hands and had coffee with two separate friends and, bang, the week was gone.

I am looking forward to DD’s return tonight though.

Have a great day everyone!

P.S. LJ, I loved the shih-tzu story.

Hi Thin,
    🥁🥁🥁
    🎹
    Happy Birthday to you
    Happy Birthday to you
    Happy Birthday dear Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnn
    Happy Birthday toooooo yooouuuuu!
    🎂

Hippip Hooray
    Merry

Hi everyone,

Caught up a little bit.

LJ – your house looks beautiful! Well done you- amazing job you’ve done. I hope an offer is acceptable soon, and you can find your next lovely home.

Minka – hi, what a lovely holiday. Don’t forget to stop and smell the roses occasionally.

Thin – so pleased your airbnb situation has eased. Must be a great relief! Enjoy your bridge. Lits of fun and mental stimulation.

Cinque – you are your usual wonderful self and I am unofficially appointing you the nicest person on the forum. I do hope you are keeping well.

Joffy has a good reason for not having been around the last few months.

I will catch up with others’ news as I go along

Update: Did a FD last Friday, had a ‘hoover’ day yesterday (sigh). Need to be patient with myself. Using my travel scales. Down a tiny bit. We go home early this coming week.
    FD tomorrow.

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Good afternoon SHs, hope you are all having a wonderful Sunday.

I just saw this on the BBC site which I thought might be useful for those of us who are trying to get portions right without weighing and measuring and counting calories. https://www.bbc.com/food/diets/what_is_a_good_portion_size

There is another couple who came for a second viewing today who the agent things may put in an offer. He’s talking to them tomorrow and also to my best other offer to see if they’ll go higher. Tomorrow night I’ll decide what to do next. Today I found two good options. One is a detached house with very nice finishes and after a second look I found that on sunny days the spare bedrooms do get northern sunshine in the colder months – that had been my concern. I can definitely see myself living there. In the same suburb I also found a project that has just gotten to framing stage that is being built by my favourite developer – they do very high quality finishes and also include things like data ports and digital tv connections throughout the house – noone else does this in this price bracket. This development is clearly 4-6 months away from completion, so if I sell my house now it will involve renting. So quite different choices for me to think about.

For those traveling:
    Arel, have fun on Fraser Island. If you don’t have phone reception it’s a sign to just relax and let the world slip away.
    GDSA, enjoy your trip, I hope you get some improvement in your symptoms soon. I tried all sorts of non-drug options that were meant to help and nothing did. I haven’t regretted using HRT, although I’m sure it’s not the answer for everyone.

Thin, Happy birthday, virtual and otherwise. Enjoy your family returning and a belated birthday celebration.

Merry, thankyou for the house comments. I like your “hoover day” description. I’ve had a few too many of those myself lately. I was determined to have 2 treat free NFDs last week. I did it but it was really a struggle. I have left home baked goodies for each of the open inspections and then eaten far too many of the leftovers afterward. In my determination not to do that again I’m waiting for my neighbour to return home so that I can present her with a plate of muffins. (I’d freeze them, but I’ve already done that once and have plenty in there anyway.)
    Send Joffy our best wishes if/when you see him again.
    Merry, I hope your travel scales are kind to you and the grand kids don’t wear you out.

Cinque I hope you have a less exhausting day with just one grand daughter.
    The biggest flaw people have with my house is apparently that it’s to small. You would think that looking at pics and a floor plan online would tel them it’s just 3br and 1bath – do they think it’s going to magically grow and extra room if they show up in person?

I’m just finishing a FD. I’ve needed a couple of small pieces of fruit to help me today. I have a pot of minestrone waiting for dinner – a generous bowl with a tiny sprinkle of parmesan.

Foggy this morning, but the clouds will burn off and we will get to 28C.

Had a great time with my granddaughter yesterday, picnic and play at the stony section in Darebin creek. Did have to climb the big hill back to the car with the little one piggyback and the doll, the picnic bag and (at first) the big stick and four wands she found. Luckily she was happy for us to jettison them.

Thin, you were too subtle for me. 🙁 Maybe I am not the most amazing and wonderful friend after all. The daft friend perhaps!
    Hopefully Cambridge Analytica didn’t catch it either!
    What a nice week you had though, and now DD is happily home and OH soon I hope.

Hi Merry, hooray for the fast day before the hoover day, That is exactly what I did last week too. But down a bit anyway! Hooray! Enjoy your last days with the kiddies.

Cheers to you Joffy if you are reading.

LJoyce, that is a good link. I’ll share it on the YamDaisy facebook page.
    Isn’t it amazing how big people need houses to be these days. Good luck with the offers and working out what decision to make. Moving house, especially with selling and buying involved, is one of the most stressful things we do, so it is not surprising that any food issues ramp up. Good luck getting over rough ground as lightly as you can, and hopefully you will be settled soon.

I’m having a fast day today. My body knows it needs it but my brain is complaining. It wants a comfort day. I will make it a comfort day in other ways. Hear that brain?
    (I’ll give it a cup of coffee soon, that should keep it happy for a bit).

Cheers all.

Good morning,
    Despite not being a morning person my body seems determined to wake at dawn every morning. It does also mean I’m dragging myself off to bed early as I tire by 9pm. Unfortunately my appetite is kicking in by mid morning most days as I’ve been up for quite a while by then.

Getting my activity from cleaning, raking and a bit of walking is clearly not adequate for my current food consumption. I’ve gained 0.8kg in the last 10 days. If I want to stick with 2 FDs I have to get my NFDs under much better control – or find another house to reno (not going to happen).

Cinque, glad to hear you had such a lovely day with your GD. I liked that serving size link too – explaining portions using hands means we can work it out wherever we are. It also encourages people to not be pedantic about weighing and measuring things but still have a simple method of keeping serves appropriate – a healthier long term approach I think. Although I didn’t think much of their portions for cheese and peanut butter – I can eat a weeks worth in one sitting, no trouble.

Decisions to make today. Hopefully by tonight I’ll have decided on a buyer for my house and whether I want to proceed with offering for the one I saw yesterday.

I fasted yesterday so I’m aiming for a controlled, treat free, NFD today.

Such a lovely autumn day, though rain forecast for later. Perfect. OH is feeling better and has gone off to his ‘literature in context’group this morning, leaving me with my coffee on the back verandah. Peace. Bliss. Thanks all for the good wishes for us both – I’m still hobbling but getting around. The washing’s hung out in the sunshine and I’ve poked at a few weeds. Now I’m setting down to admin…. sigh. I got into a huff with my bank (Queensland) when I discovered they were playing fast and loose with the terms of an investment loan…so, we are parting company! Now I have to unpick all the direct debits, and direct deposits etc. They’ve behaved really badly – we really did need this royal commission into banking.
    LJ I think you have made a great decision to move now, rather than wait until a move is forced upon you. I am in awe of all you’ve done. Your renovation would exhaust most people – to do it while holding off RA is momentous.
    Cinque those little grandchildren of yours sound so much fun. We are keenly awaiting our new baby – my Dil is due on Anzac Day.
    Gday what part of Bali are you heading for?
    FD for me today – I’ll have an apple soon, and then some soup. I’m relieved it’s come around (the FD not the soup) again after three days of lunches with friends and family. I didn’t go overboard, although the scales aren’t agreeing.
    Enjoy your day all.

Lindsay, sorry to hear about your baking woes. I agree it was time time for a royal commission and some legislative changes that force better behaviour from them in future. We’l be looking for some happy family news from you on ANZAC day.

My news – I’ve told the agent to accept one of the offers on my house (the one with a good price and the fewest conditions). I also also made an offer on a house I saw for the second time on the weekend. Hopefully I’ll hear within a couple of days about my offer. I’m hoping for a seamless transition.

I’m trying to eat in a controlled way today. I had a tiny bowl of high fibre cereal mid-morning and a small punnet of raspberries. Lunch was rye sourdough with 2 boiled eggs. So far so good. I have a veggie omelette planned for dinner. Too many eggs in one day, but I didn’t feel like shopping.

Thanks for the good wishes LJ and Merry – it could have been yesterday or one of the preceding two FDs. It passed in an uneventful and food-free way which is just what I wanted. Proving again that birthdays need not be celebrated with cake (unless you want to).

LJ, that’s so cool that everything is falling into place perfectly. And if you are stressed out, it’s not showing either in what you’re writing or what you’re reporting eating. So well done all round. I’ve forgotten now why you’re moving, wanting another suburb I think it was and maybe a smaller garden. Hopefully a nice holiday will be on the cards too.

Merry, you seem to be going well with 5:2. Did you, Joffy and Intesha meet up as planned in January? Nobody reported in! Please send my best wishes to Joffy if you’re in contact and I hope the reason he’s not checking in with his minestrone soup and coffee reports is a happy one.

LJ, I started off quite enjoying the handfuls and thumbfuls of ingredients guide. Not sure about the amount of chicken though, that seemed a huge amount. And then I started wondering how many people might think they could have all those items together in the same meal. I didn’t stick around to see what she made. I am making turkey and white bean chilli for dinner tonight. I thought I should have some poultry as DD and I have been meat-free for weeks now.

It rained all day long yesterday. I can’t remember the last time it rained that long. It was fabulous.

Cinque, what a load you had to carry yesterday. I hope you and Lindsay are having a brilliant FD today. Lindsay, I keep trying to teach my DD that it is better to own the bank shares than have money in the bank. Even then, you wouldn’t want to own a share in a company charging dead people for services.

DD arrived home safely last night having speyed and castrated several aboriginal ‘community’ dogs and visited some amazing gorges and caves. It’s amazing to think you could fly for three and a half hours and still be in the same state!

I had a good bridge session this morning. A lot of laughs and stuff-ups (on my part) but my partner and I managed to come second. Which doesn’t really reflect well on the skills of the other people I’m afraid! The ranking isn’t to be taken too seriously at our level of course. I am now going to check on-line to see where I went wrong and how I could have played better – what an incredible programme it is to provide such in-depth feedback. You can even re-play the exact hands on the computer.

Hi everyone
    Thank you Cinque for your thoughts for me from a couple of days ago. I haven’t been on since then and only just saw your post 🙂
    Happy (belated) birthday Thin. Hope you had a lovely day 🙂
    Congratulations LJoyce on ur acceptance and making of the offers.
    Hope everyone else is doing well also. X

Viewing 50 posts - 15,651 through 15,700 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.