Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,925 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  Neilithicman 3 days, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 13,401 through 13,450 (of 28,029 total)

• All this talk of roasts seems to have caught on. I agree with the delight of parsnips – the only way I ever seem to eat them is roasted, but they are my favourite roast veg by far.
    As a kid I grew up with the rule that you had to eat everything on your plate. The way I accomplished this was to save one favourite thing until the end, so I could get through the less liked portions of the meal. With Sunday roast I always saved a roast parsnip until the end.

JJulie – I did go look at a few aged care facilities, but it wasn’t the deciding factor. Something I found very useful ask around for personal recommendations. I wanted to know other people’s experiences (especially from the family members who had to deal with them). Because I was looking in the Adelaide Hills this was fairly easy, because I had relatives that have lived in this area for nearly 100 years. My aunt knows all the locals and all the gossip, I asked her what she’d heard about the local aged care facilities and she asked around. She also knew someone who was a carer in one of them and she rang her so I was able to ask her some pertinent questions – I got a very clear idea of which places to rule out. Luckily a place became available quite quickly in my preferred place which was close to my home. Although Dad initially hated the idea of aged care, once he got there he was actually quite happy and so much less lonely than he’d been at home. When it comes to aged care, I don’t trust government rating systems (they only see them when they’re on their best behaviour), or the material published by the facility, or what the administrators say, I want personal opinions from those who’ve had extended contact with a facility and have no reason to lie to me – I want a “warts and all” report.

Good morning everyone
    It’s 6.50am Wednesday & I’m off to yoga. Very pleased already with my change in attitude towards portion size & nourishing food intake. Thought processes towards food are improving each day. Can now go longer without eating. All your posts inspire me to keep on track. Thank you everyone!
    Enjoy your day. Bye for now.

Goodmorning everyone,
    I missed posting yesterday as little 3yo granddaughter had a dreadful night and so everything was difficult. Got her home, met a YamDaisy person for a coffee and got home to try and clean 14 years of grot from behind the old dishwasher before they installed the new one (I got most of it but he arrived earlier than expected). Then collapsed in a heap.

So just quickly…

Welcome Bee (and Mr Bee), lovely to have you here, and yes, isn’t it just lovely to find something that fits into our lives so well and is SO good for our health!

Cheers for all the news of weight lost and loose clothes.

Remembered my problem with the ‘Don’t eat anything your grandmother wouldn’t recognise’. Neither of my grandmothers would recognise sweet potatoes, eggplants, miso, rocket, lychees, avocado and a whole load of other beautiful produce.

They would recognise parsnips though, and I love them too! Especially roasted. My funny story is that I was cooking them when my daughter was about 4 years old and she came into the kitchen and said “I can smell armpits”. 😀
    They suddenly became a lot more expensive than carrots (a decade ago?), so I buy them less often, but just recently my veggie shop has had lovely small tender ones at a good price and I have been enjoying them!

UK friends in Australia have told me their Yorkshire puddings don’t work as well here. Different flour they think.

I watched Catalyst again last night http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/ with their ‘Gut revolution’ program part 2. It was about someone who had been on all the diets and kept putting the weight back on, and more. Their advice? 5:2! legumes! (and the rest), long term changes to diet! All the stuff we talk about. Very affirming and interesting detail about it too.

Well my dishwasher has finished its first run and it seems to have done a lovely job.

It is day before fast day for me. Cheers to those fasting today, and cheers for the rest of us eating well and mindfully! And cheers to those doing yoga Arelkade 🙂 ) or walking or other wonderful activity!

Up early (5am) on a fasting Wednesday. I’ve caught up with most of yesterday’s posts. And now there are two more to read. Cinque I didn’t post yesterday either but the others carried on admirably without us!

Welcome Bee and congratulations on such a huge weight loss. Where are you located? It sounds like you are beginning to embrace 5:2 as a WOL rather than a diet. Good job GDSA and Lindsay.

Penguin, you made me laugh again about the thought police and Londoners who of course know best about what we should be thinking. The world is changing so fast. People have become too precious and need to toughen up a bit and stop taking themselves so seriously. As for Yorkshire pud, I have fond memories of it but am happy to consign it to memory only. I love roast parsnips.

CalifD, hope you’re feeling better. Our soil is very sandy and easy to dig. But not with these extensive roots. Which is how these drought-resistant trees and shrubs survive our harsh climate.

I watched the second Catalyst programme about gut microbiota last night and found it a lot more palatable than last week’s. I’ve never watched the ‘Biggest Loser’ and don’t intend to start but the participants clearly learned nothing about nutrition. I cringed when the subject mentioned that he couldn’t go down the supermarket junk food aisle ‘for a while’ and that he hoped to be able to go out for junk food with his mates once or twice a week. But my faith was restored when the presenter pounced on that and made it clear that this would be a sustainable WOE and not another diet. I was very distracted by all that clutter on top of the kitchen cabinets and grateful for my bulkheads! But I did feel that this episode had a lot more useful information. It was good that they explained how our gut microbes behave when we’re fasting. And I liked the message that we should eat food that supports our physical and mental health. So, Cinque, I’m giving this one the thumbs up!

Good morning,

Glad you have your new d’w Cinque.
    Hope you enjoyed your yoga session Arelkade.
    Glad you liked the second Catalyst program Thin.

I mostly liked the Catalyst program last night too – although I still haven’t worked out how 5,500kj (1300cal) is “fasting”. I wonder how the body gets it’s fasting break with that many calories. Maybe it depends on your TDEE, we was a very large man after all. So his TDEE may be huge.

Good morning everyone!!

Lovely day here in Cairns. Sun is out, bright and making it steamy after all our rain. I have been on my morning walk and came back very damp. Had to drink two glasses of water straight away.
    I did not weigh myself today. I am going to try a new tactic and only weigh myself once a week. I am going to do this on a Friday because I am frightened Mondays will be discouraging after the weekend.
    Two weeks and two days before I am back in Japan. I have everything organised and so looking forward to it. Going to check out some new places and visit many friends in our travels. I will post our journey on my Japanese facebook site if anyone is interested.

Cinque, my mother always cooked parsnips especially with roasts. I also remember the mashed swedes that she made and turnips in stews. These vegies dont seem to get used in cooking so much these days, although I do use the swedes when making vegetable soup (my mums recipe) and turnips can be a good substitute for Japanese daikon if you cant find the daikon in the shops.
    Good news on you dishwasher. I have actually gone off using mine in the last 6 months and I tend to do hand washing instead. Just a phase I am going through I suppose.
    Arelkade, have a great day and yoga sounds good to do. I am thinking of doing pilates.

LJoyce, I am so glad you are able to get first hand recommendations on the aged care facilites. We were able to do that for my grandparents and found a lovely place near Largs Bay. An large old house that had been transformed and built onto. The staff there were great and my grandparents had a large room with ensuite all to themselves where we could visit. They could have their own recliner chairs, display cabinet, TV etc. Not much different from their small flat that they lived in only they did not have to cook the meals. Unfortunately I did not have that availability for my father as he was taken straight from the hospital to the first available place in a nursing home. He hated it and was only there for 4 months before he passed on. Nursing homes up here are few and far between and understaffed and untrained.

Thin, I now see that you have posted now too and up early to boot. I love getting up at 5am to get things started but it frustrates me sometimes. For example, the other day I had stated work at around 7am and needed to make some phone calls, unfortunately not everyone starts work as early as I do and I had to wait until 9am before I could make those calls. I told OH that these people need to start earlier!!!! He just laughed at me!!

Yesterday was supposed to be a fast day, but I ended up having left over salad fro lunch which was really lovely so I made another one exactly the same for last nights dinner. Our homestay student said she loves steak but of course it is expensive in Japan, I had three T-Bones in the freezer so we decided to have that for dinner with chips and salad. I shared my T-Bone with 18YO as she only eats a little meat. It worked out well for me as I ate some meat but not a whole big T-Bone. Hence it ended up not being a FD but I still thought it was a healthy day.
    So far today I have only had water so I am thinking of making this a FD. I will make quiche for everyone for dinner tonight and I will just have the salad.
    Have a great day everyone!!!

Hi Thin and LJoyce,
    Thin, I was really wondering what you would think of it!
    I did wonder about the fast day limit too LJoyce. I went back and watched it again and I am pretty sure she made it 5000 kj, but that is still nearly 1200 calories.
    It was good to learn about the gut creatures who like the feed they can get while we are fasting.

That thought crossed my mind too LJ. I made a mental note to work out how many cals that would be and then forgot. I believe they were trying to focus on changing what he ate rather than the quantities consumed. Did they say he weighed 200kg? I hope the girlfriend will be joining him with his new eating regime. Not to mention his mother. I can’t help wondering what happens once the TV crews have packed up with some of these people.

Yes, they explained how the microbes feed on our gut secretions while we’re fasting. They also explained how the highly processed foods don’t make it into the large intestine and therefore why fibre is so important. I got the feeling with both participants that all this was totally over their heads as they stood at the giant screen showing their respective microbe composition. What would it take to get a snapshot of our own microbiota? Can we show up at the GP and request this?

Arelkade, isn’t it great how IF shapes your food desires and portions without your even thinking about it?

Morning JJulie, I’m sure your post wasn’t there just now! Let us know how you get on with your new weighing regime. I sometimes share a red meat ‘portion’ with DD. On our recipe thread, page one, I posted, ‘Hearty Root and Barley Soup’. It’s the wrong time of year for the SHs now but, for those who enjoy parsnips, swede and turnips, you’ll love it. I have one portion still frozen. OH left again for the Territory yesterday having recovered from his surgery so perhaps I’ll have that tonight instead of my planned mushroom omelette. It looks overcast and sort of wintery out there.

Have just planted the other native – callistemon. Can’t wait for them to shoot up. Now off for my walk. I saw four dolphins the other day so I’m hoping they are back for more fish today.

Good morning all and welcome to the forum Bee. Well done to you and everyone else on your weight loss.

Ljoyce yes mum has had POA arrangements in place (with my 2 older siblings) for many years now. Mum leaves nothing
    to chance, everything must be planned to the most minor detail and she is incredibly stubborn and narrow minded at times. She has always been this way so therefore her funeral is in order, the house has already been cleared of all but the most essential items and we have been given strict instructions on what we can and cant do when she passes. Some of her decisions are not to my liking at all but it is her choice not mine so I just go with the flow.

Ljoyce i dont think we will be able to catch up in Nov as we will only be in Adelaide for 2 days instead of 5 as originally planned. Will try again next time we come to town.

Have recorded last nights gut episode so will watch at a later date. Has been a hectic week so far as is the coming week . Have my massage and sauna tonight after work so looking forward to that.

Hi GDSA – never mind, hopefully we’ll catch up some other time when you make it back to Adelaide. I’t glad to hear your mum has things so organised, so many people bury their head in the sand on this one as they get older.

I’m on a FD today, though not much in the mood for it. I need to persevere though, because it’s treatment day for me tomorrow and I know that a FD the day before my infusion reduces the side effects. That’s enough incentive for me to stick with it.

I’ve just done the grocery shopping and now have a fridge full of fresh fruit & veg. I’m rather pleased with myself. All but one shopping bag was just fresh food.

Hope you are all having a good day.

Hi Everyone
    I have just bought myself a new digital scale. I have been using a manual scale and this morning it told me an untruth! I weighed myself before I had a shower and then after my shower, and I was one kilo lighter after the shower!! I wasn’t even dirty!! LOL
    I will wait until the morning to weigh myself on the new one as I am on a FD today and I realise the new scale could show a different weight!

hope the new scales are kind Quacka

Hi Quakka,
    Before I threw my bathroom scales out (years ago) there was a day when they told me I weighed more before I went to the loo, than after!
    Congratulations on your new ones, I hope they are a useful tool for measuring yourself!

Hoping your fast day is working out well LJoyce, and stands you in good stead for tomorrow. Your fridge sounds gorgeous!

Gday I am glad you have a massage and sauna to recover from your hectic week!
    And I hope I can be as organised as your mum!

Were the four dolphins there Thin?
    I am glad your OH (Other Husband 😉 ) has recovered so well after his op! Is he near Tennant Creek again?
    Nearly cauliflower soup time!

JJulie, your post appeared after mine too, even though it should have been there before!
    I am roasting parsnip as we speak, along with carrot, pumpkin, onion, a few mushrooms, a tomato and a couple of long red chillies.
    As kids we never liked turnips and swedes, but I like them now! Especially in pasties.
    And a couple of days of handwashing dishes was enough for me!
    Good luck with pilates, great idea!
    It sounds like you are giving your guest such a wonderful time!
    Did today end up being a fast day too?

I might not do a fast day tomorrow, so I can enjoy breakfast with my sister. I’ll see.

Cheers all, it is a beautiful evening here and my sister will arrive any minute.

Have a lovely day with your sister Cinque. No dolphins today. Yes, he has gone to TC to bring a plane back to Perth. Later he may go back to another part of the NT to do some long line work collecting crocodile eggs from their nests. (He’ll be the guy hovering the helicopter, not the fool in the basket stealing the eggs from the angry mum!)

Glad you treated yourself to some good scales Quakka.

Cinque, I would like to share an article about resistant starch here. It’s in a .pdf-for-web format. Does that mean anything to you?

Resistant Starch:
    I’ve had this article for some time and wasn’t sure if people would be interested. But lately, we’ve been discussing quite a lot of its content so thought I would share it. I have just found it on-line (disregard previous post Cinque, thanks):
    https://www.southdenver.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Resistant-Starch-for-web.pdf

Thank you LJoyce Cinque and Thinatlast 🙂
    I had a great FD today, actually this week has been really good. Some other weeks the FD has been really difficult.
    I have a friend at work who is really supportive of my eating this way and losing weight however this week I realised that not everyone is the same as her. I told another girl at work what I have been doing and twice this week she has made some snide remarks about it. I now realise I should have kept it to myself. Anyway I haven’t let her get me down about it. In some strange way it’s made me even more determined to keep at it. The happiness that I feel is so worth it.
    I saw some posts about fish cakes recently. Just wanted to let you know I made some tuna fish cakes for dinner tonight. All I put in was the tuna, boiled potato, red curry paste, onion, parsley , frozen peas and egg. I then rolled them in some panko breadcrumbs and baked them in the oven. I sprayed them with a little spray oil too. I served them with a Thai salad and it was very satisfying.
    I hope you all have a lovely evening and if anyone is fasting tomorrow, I hope it goes well for you.
    One more thing….. thank you all for your support too. It really makes a difference to me 🙂

Quacka – I hadn’t thought of putting curry paste in a fish cake – I like that idea as I struggle to eat fresh fish – I’ve never really liked the taste. I persevere only because I know it’s good for me.

Thin – thanks for that article. Just read it quickly, but it says a lot of useful things so I’ve saved a copy to read more thoroughly later.

I actually managed to make it until after 6pm before cooking my asparagus omelette tonight. That was a bit of a surprise, because I was ready to chew the leg off the nearest chair at 4pm. It took some serious distraction to take my mind off food for a while. This was my distraction tonight:http://www.sudokucentral.co.uk/samuraisudoku.php It takes me ages to solves one of these giant puzzles and I only succeed about twice a week. I find the overlapping grids trick me into comparing squares that I shouldn’t be. I used to do this in the morning, but I’ve learned that it’s a good delaying tactic in the late afternoon.

Snap LJ, I was doing the cryptic crossword before having a portobello mushroom omelette and when I worked out that the mushroom was only 25 cals, I added one steamed asparagus spear so I had almost the same FD meal as you. I haven’t felt hungry at all today but I was at my upper weight limit this morning due to having grilled haloumi for dinner last night.

Quakka, I don’t know why people need to make those stupid comments but, hey, the proof will be in the pudding. Sorry, bad analogy. My GP says that people have difficulty accepting change so when you change their idea of ‘normal’, it’s challenging for them. No matter, we have the science on our side! That’s great that IF has made you feel happier and we know that there are many other reasons to practice IF.

Cinque, you reminded me that my mother used to put swede in pasties too when she made them. I remember her mincing the meat and vegetables with her bench attached mincer and how much fun it was as a child putting the vegetable in the top and watching it come out the side shute. Her pasties were just so good!!!
    Your roast vegies sound really yummy too. Did not think to put mushrooms into mine but will try it some time. I often put red onion in mine too.
    And yes today was a fast day for me after yesterday turned into a NFD in the end. I have only had water and green tea all day, but my daughter bought coffees to Taiko practice to find an extra one was bought by mistake. It was a flat white and although I dont usually drink coffee with milk I was really needing something in my tummy before practice so I drank this and actually enjoyed it. Not sure what calories would be in it though.

Quacka, I have found various weights at different times in the morning on my scales too and if I am not happy with what I see the first time, weigh myself after a shower or after a walk. I am wondering if weighing yourself when you first get up is not a good indication. I thought that maybe you need to walk around a bit or do something first so my body can settle itself after laying down all night and it then gives a better weight reading. I do not like my current scales too. I move them around the bathroom trying to find the reading I like. I have finally found the best spot that gives me the lowest reading each morning. If I move them slightly to the right or left I can easily weigh 2 kg more in the time it took to move them. It is just not right!!!

The concept of fast days and healthy eating seems to have gone from my life. Currently we have my son, his two, one of my daughters children and a visiting dog. They spend their days walking the hills, biking and eating. The days I go with them I also eat. Breakfast was a mountain of croissants, bacon and egg. Today I am not going with them, so in their absence I will prepare a jointed chicken cooked on a bed of leeks, celery, capsicum, tomatoes and small potatoes to be followed by a bread and butter pudding. In deference to the presence of children I will not put whiskey in the pudding. Tomorrow will be pudding in the corner – slow cooked beef with suet dumplings baked in the oven. They will burn off all of those calories, and so far I have managed to very nearly do the same. On the plus side, I have introduced them to kefir.

The dog has a carefully balanced and measured healthy diet.

Hi all quick post this morning. I love roasted parsnips too and always put lots of turnips and swedes in my homemade pasties. Give me veg over salad anyday.

Happy anniversary to me and OH….one month together today….lol !! Going out for a meal tonight to celebrate. Happy Thursday everyone.

Good morning to all.

I am up bright and early this morning. Woke up at 5am with the dog wanting me to give her some attention. Then up to make sandwiches for OH and student to take with them. Cleaned off a section of the kitchen bench that I thought was getting a bit untidy, made a cup of green tea. Now enjoying it!!

I had a really good day yesterday. I drank water and green tea all day. Then went to look at floor coverings for my rental property. (they need replacing after 30 years) Then to Taiko practice. For the first time in years I ended up having a coffee with milk in it before practice. I am not sure how many calories this would have had in it, but it did fill up the spot before the lesson. We had a hard workout this time. Well I think we felt it more because it was quite humid and I was drenched after lesson.

Dinner last night was leek and mushroom quiche. I used filo pastry instead of shortcrust pastry to make it lighter. We had the left over thai salad with it. Calories for the day was definitely under 500 even with that milk coffee.
    Scales will tell tomorrow morning.

My neighbour who walks with me rang me last night to say lets walk earlier as it is getting hotter so that is one reason why I am up and getting going a bit earlier than usual. OH is still in bed!!!

Happy anniversary Gday, hope you enjoy to evening out in celebration.

Penguin, your chicken and beef dinners sound delicious. I love that the dog is getting a balanced diet too!!

Quacka, you tuna patties sound similar to mine. I have not put the red thai curry paste in mine but that does sound nice. I also use panko to coat mine. Panko is the japanese word for breadcrumb. Pan is bread, Ko means baby/little/minature….(or in this case, crumbs)
    for example the word for cat is neko, if you want to say kitten it is koneko, meaning “baby cat”. Just a little language lesson in the wake of my next trip.

I have the opportunity to purchase return tickets to Japan from Cairns for $400. A girl I know purchased these tickets for February next year but now can not go. Jetstar will not refund but will allow name change for a fee. She has offered me the tickets and will pay the cost of the name change. I am seriously thinking about it as 27YO would love a trip back. But I have already got tickets for April and OH thinks it is too many trips too close together. What do you think?

Well time to get the socks on!!! see you all later and have a great day

Well good morning you bright and breezy women!
    I’m a groggy slug looking for my second cup of tea.
    Happy Anniversary Gday!

Penguin, don’t those young relatives cause havoc with our lives! I am glad the dog is sorted! And it does sound as if you are all having the most marvellous time! And can you push a bit of that chicken and veg through the monitor for me? Just what I fancy.

My mum had one of those mincers too. Oh the shepherd’s pie!

My roasted veggies were a success, and we had some pan fried fish with them. I am getting the hang of cooking fish. Maybe fish patties will be next.

Quakka I am so glad you had a good fast day. It is hard to be faced with negativity, but there is so much out there. And it is useful for confirming to yourself that yes, this is really what you want to do.

A few times people have said they want to lose weight and I’ve gone into “5:2 has really worked for me!” and talked about it, and realised they don’t want to hear. Next time I will say “Well if you’d like to ask me about 5:2 any time you would be welcome” and leave it at that.

In the meantime we are getting healthier and happier so that trumps anything anyone says!

Cheers to everyone, I hope it is a good day. Cheers to people who may be reading but not writing at the moment. Miss you!

Forgot to say thanks for the Japanese lesson, and JJulie, it’s you! How can you not take up those tickets! 😀 😀 😀

Hi Everyone
    Sorry I’ve been MIA. I’ve had a busy week. Hubby was home Monday. I had my fortnightly women’s morning on Tuesday and then dramas with a silly sheep who would not only not feed her newborn lamb but was also head butting it away- hubby and I rounded them up, put them in a pen and held her up for the lamb to suckle. All is now fine- maybe she had a lot of milk and was too sore at first? Or first time Mum had no idea?? I’m just glad the sheep happened to be in the paddock near my kitchen window and I was cooking up a storm for a friend having chemo and saw what was going on. I can’t see some of our paddocks. Yesterday I had the grandkids.
    The names of grandmothers and great aunts are coming back into fashion. I have a granddaughter Elsie and in my daughters young mothers group there is a Hazel, Enid, Maeve. I don’t really like those names.
    We grow parsnips in our garden very successfully- not so great with carrots. I’d never had a Yorkshire pudding until last August when we were in London.I don’t know why we didn’t when in the UK 5 years ago.
    Glad you have you new dw Cinque- I couldn’t live without one and love my 2 drawer one.
    Congratulations on your month anniversary GDay you sound very happy.
    Penguin are you in Wales? We enjoyed a wonderful hike in the Snowdinians.
    I may have to read posts again to remember the emails I’ve read from here lol

Julie, it’s never too soon for another holiday 😉 x

Weight wise- I lost 300 grams this week. Not too bad after a big weekend.
    This weekend we are going to a wedding in Echuca. We are going Friday afternoon and meeting up with friends for pizza. Next day the wedding ceremony will be at the wharf and then all the guests are going on 2 paddle steamers for predinner canapés and drinks for 2 hours while the wedding party have their photos done. The Paddle Steamers will take us to where the reception will be held – no idea how we then get back to our car. The next morning will be a bbq breakfast at our friends farm . And then I will do FDs to lose all the weight I put on over the weekend ~story of my life lol

Stay, don’t worry, all the calories will burned off from the swim back to your car. Good that you’re on a downward trend. Have a fabulous weekend!

Cinque, hope the dw is performing well. JJulie, what does a r/t fare to Japan normally cost you and I, of course, would say go. You love it so much. Perhaps your April trip is one that the date can be changed to a bit later?

LJ, I hope you made it through your FD alright and that you find the resistant starch article interesting. I thought of you and Minka because it mentions inulin, gut microbiota and how esistant starch contributes to weight loss.

Hi GDSA. Penguin, good to hear that the dog is eating well.

Thinking back to when I started 5:2, I don’t think I mentioned it to anyone except my neighbour and we discovered that we had both independently started at the same time. Other friends later asked how I was ‘doing it’ when they noticed the weight falling off. This led to 13 people being turned on to 5:2, with varying success. I can say with certainty that, those for whom it did not work, were not following it correctly. There are very few rules but they must be followed properly. Sadly, the lady who introduced me to 5:2 (a whole year before I got around to starting) cannot get past 5pm on a FD without a sundowner and nibbles. Most of the 13 are still practicing IF and several are now also kefir drinkers.

Three cheers for intermittent fasting! And frothy coffee Thursdays.

*resistant, sorry.

Stay, Elsie is a soft name. Enid doesn’t appeal to me at all and I don’t much like the other names either. How about Wynifred?

Me again. Forgot to say earlier the infa-red sauna last night was amazing and hot…..63deg. The sweat literally dripped off me. Half hour in there was perfect amount of time. Its been quite a few months since my last massage and didn’t realise how many tight muscles I had so nursing a few sore spots today. Note to self to make sauna and massage a monthly event.

Guess who just received a delivery of red roses at work…..

Hopeless romantics you two!

Gday, How wonderful!!! He has to be a keeper.

Oh I loved the name Winnifred. My ex mother in law was Winnifred and we all lovingly called her Winney.
    I like Elsie, Hazel would remind me of Hazel Hawke, Enid does sound a strong name but I dont think that one would get my vote. Maeve is a name I have not heard of for a very long time. It is an interesting one and I think I like it.

Thin the cost of a basic Jetstar flight to Tokyo on the same dates that have been offered to me would cost $990. return each. When my friend bought these they were less than half priced tickets. One of the specials they have quite often. So I could purchase two tickets for $800 return and save a packet.

Good afternoon all,

The nurse left at about 1pm and I’ve had lunch (ricotta & salad on sprouted rye toast) and a cuppa. Now I’m trying to keep myself awake so I can sleep properly tonight. For some reason the fatigue really hits me a couple of hours after the infusion.

GDSA – I bet you got some ooohs and aahs from colleagues when the roses arrived. Enjoy, the day and the dinner and the roses.

JJulie – that was good bargain hunting with that ticket to Japan. A lot of travel costs have gone up over the decades, but airfares don’t seen to have risen a lot. It used to be that when you flew halfway around the world from Oz you needed to see as many countries as possible to justify the huge ticket price. But these days it’s much more viable to just go to one or two places as flights seem to be a much smaller percentage of the overall cost. For those of us in Oz or NZ that have to fly for many hours to get anywhere – that’s a good thing.

Thin – yes I did get through my FD. As usual I was fine once I’d eaten dinner.
    I’ve also finished reading that resistant starch article. It highlights to me how important it is to have a carefully balanced diet most days so that all of the nutrients my body needs and the food variety my gut flora needs are available. While I am still using the inulin powder, it is a safety net for me and I would prefer to get enough from my foods in the longer term. (I bought 2kg or inulin powder, so it’ll be about a year before I run out.) I probably also need to do a bit more cooking and reheating of come carbs – I do this often with grains but didn’t realise I should be doing it with potatoes as well. I remember one of the many health docos looking at the change in digestible starch in pasta – they looked at it’s effect on insulin when just cooked, or when cooked-cooled-reheated. If I’m remembering correctly there was 30% difference. The resistant starch talked about cooling cooked carbs, but didn’t seem to cover this issue of reheating. I might need to do some more reading as I’m not much of a cold salad fan and prefer most of my food hot or warm.

Stay – my Nana would be quite pleased to know her name was finally back in fashion – she was an Elsie (and it wasn’t just a family shortening of Elizabeth, she was registered as Elsie). The wedding that includes a paddle steamer ride sounds like fun.

Cinque – yes my mum also had one of those old mincers too – she refused to attach it to the kitchen table or bench because it damaged the laminex, so we always clamped it onto an old singer treadle sewing table that lived on the back verandah – the marble top was a bit tougher than laminex. As soon as I was old enough to turn the handle, mincing the veg for pasties became my job.

Starting to feel peckish again. Might need to make another cuppa and raid the fruit bowl.

Hi all. I watched the second Catalyst last night – agree with all the comments so far. He is a very tall man, so who knows what his TDEE is? Even though he talked about giving up the supermarket aisle ‘for a while’, once he gets into the program he’ll probably not be as interested in taking that route. This intermittent fasting does seem to change the way folks think about food. Also, his wife I seem to recall is a nurse. She should know/find out about nutrition, surely?

I too was very distracted by all that clutter in the kitchen – how often would you get it down to wash? Give me my industrial benches any day, and while my cupboards may not be perfectly tidy, the doors close so who really knows?

Quacka don’t be put off by negativity – the problem’s with the person who’s being snipey, not with the program. Awful though how some people try to put you (one) down.

Another FD for me today – and hoping I get to my lowest yet tomorrow. I’m up at 4.45 am for the trip to watch over the little ones while my daughter and husband swim. Hope the scales recognise it’s earlier than normal!

Here’s a funny story (sort of!). I took my car back on Tuesday to give the garage a second chance at fixing it. Then got a call yesterday morning, checking to see if I was happy. Husband was in the background commenting on great customer service, when the garage guy got to the point. One of his workers though he’d left his magnetised torch under the bonnet. Would I check? When we got home from the city I lifted the bonnet. No torch, but I did find a screwdriver. As my husband said, good thing they are mechanics and not surgeons!

OK work is over and time to head home. have a good night all.

Julie go for the holiday! Life is too short to miss a trip. And such a bargain!
    (I’ve never yet seen a plane go over, that I didn’t want to be on).

Lindsay – funny story, thank goodness they’re not aircraft mechanics either!

Loved your comments about the clutter in that couple’s kitchen. The nurse is his fiancée of 8 years. He made a comment that he couldn’t get married while he looked like that – it made me wonder about whether he really wanted to marry her. Cinque is rolling her eyes at the Cynic!

JJulie, well that’s a bargain then. Are your April tickets changeable to a later date?

LJ, glad your treatment is behind you. According to the neighbour who gave me that article, re-heating is fine. She and her OH are both GPs (and fasters) and are well-informed. I think it was a Mosley doco that you refer to – or was it that Insight episode where Dr M. appeared?

Good luck with the scales tomorrow all you Friday weighers.

Morning all. Or for most. evening. I am enjoying a little peace and quiet with the dog before the hordes surface for the day. We have had our walk round the fields and I am having my first cup of tea whilst I read all of your posts. There are sounds of life upstairs, so the peace won’t last long.

GDay, I tried a book of Shakespeare’s sonnets. Didn’t achieve much. Sounds as though real roses will work better.

StayinThin. I am actually in England, but the border with south Wales is only about 5 miles away. I do most of my hill walking and canoeing in Wales.

Penguin – enjoy your cuppa and last moments of peace & quiet.

Lindsay – I thought your story was pretty funny too.

Thin – I wondered about the long engagement. It made me think that they both need help with self image and self confidence, if how you look in wedding photos has so much sway. Thanks for the info on the reheating, that will be very helpful. As I mentioned I do this with grains as I’m cooking for one and to save time I cook large batched then freeze single serves of cooked grains. I do the same with legumes – soak and boil lots then freeze the cooked beans/chickpeas.

I took the last of my cooked borlotti beans out of the freezer tonight and combined them with walnuts, mushrooms, carrot, zucchini, spring onions, herbs, garlic, massel stock powder, cumin and chickpea flour. I made the mixture into 11 smallish croquettes rolled in panko crumbs – baked them on an a tray in a very hot oven with a bit of olive oil drizzled over. I ate 4 of them for dinner with some reheated roast veg. (I can’t give measurements as I just added a bit of this and that until I had the right texture – flavour was very good though.)
    I hadn’t actually felt like cooking and was just going to reheat all of the leftover roast veg, but after reading Thin’s article I decided I needed to treat my gut bugs better and give them some legumes. The bonus is that I only used half of the leftover roast veg tonight, which means I now have a complete meal ready for reheating tomorrow and 3-4 extra croquettes for some other time.

One thing I learned that I’ll definitely use again, is that you don’t have to use breadcrumbs when making legume patties – you can use legume flours instead and amazingly it works. For those of you that have problems with grains this might be a useful option. I read a few recipes for bean burgers to get an idea of what I might like to put into these and one of those recipes suggested replacing breadcrumbs with chickpea flour – I thought, what a good idea, I must try that. The beauty of this is that it increases your legume consumption, while still helping to bind everything together.

You can role your eyes at me too Cinque, because I’m with Thin on this one. Or maybe they are just happy being engaged. How much easier (and healthier) would it be for them both, if they both followed this plan. Wouldn’t take long for the wedding bells to ring, if it’s only not looking good in the wedding pics that’s holding them back.

And now I have a question. I was showing the 4 year old how to sprout beans (very health conscious in her family) and I used the adzuki ones. Has anyone every tried this? I guess they’ll be okay. But I’d like to be sure before I feed her any!

Adzuki bean sprouts are wonderful!

Oh the assumptions some people make! The judgements of people they see briefly on TV and ESPECIALLY thinking that I might be eye rolling!
    https://media.giphy.com/media/c6YhpGxZH9hjq/giphy.gif

I took my sister with me for my hospital appt this morning, which was a great idea. The dynamics are different and we got a good repeat of all the info. The signs are that the little thing in my lung isn’t cancer, but it can’t be conclusive so they will keep an eye on me. Next scan in three months. Again, it was my decision, if I wanted them to cut it out they would, and should I change my mind I can ring up and organise it, but I am going with the majority of the specialists who thought watch and see is the best response.

I missed my fast day today, but loved having breakfast and lunch with my sister. I’ll have a super fast day on Sunday.

Thin I read the link on resistant starch, thankyou! I really liked the way they presented the info, very user friendly.

Ooh those roses Gday!

Has he got an older brother? 😉

I am loving those old fashioned names more and more!

Too tired to write more. best wishes all!

Good evening everyone. I’m still traveling and with dinners with coworkers and meetings all day I haven’t had a chance to read all of your posts, but wanted to check in. Have been eating out for all meals but leaving early this afternoon so I’m going to try a FD today, since I’ll be flying and changing planes for several hours.

Cinque, I’m relieved to hear that the doctors think your lung thingie isn’t cancer. I know a couple people who opted for surgery in similar cases and it turned out not to be anything, but the surgery had several weeks recovery. I think you’re doing the right thing. It was a good idea to bring your DS along to your appointment. Two sets of ears are always better than one for things like this.

I’ll catch up when I get back home tonight.

Cinque that was AWFUL! But you are forgiven because of your very good news and the nice day enjoying meals with your sister instead of fasting. And we didn’t even know you were going to the hospital – did we? I would have wished you well had I read that.

Lindsay, LJ, I’m even more cynical than you might think. I took it a step further and thought that he’s motivated to remain overweight because he’s unable to commit to marrying. Yep, Cinque, I made that judgment in a fleeting second. But he was a likeable kind of guy. And, as with the Obesity Myth subjects, we’ll never know what happened in the end. Unless they decide to appear on one of those ‘Hoarder Next Door’ shows. 😆

CalifD, I hope you’re over your cold. Penguin, I hope you’re still enjoying fun times with your family.

LJ, interesting use of legume flours. I don’t cook with breadcrumbs but I’ll keep an eye out for chicpea flour.

Cinque. Skim reading the posts earlier I missed your test results. Relief all round. Good decision as well – if you can avoid bits being cut off, do so!

Good morning all. Anniversary dinner last night was lovely. OH’s daughter works at the pub and his son in law is the chef (lol) so they surprised us by booking a table in a quiet corner and decorating the table with love heart sprinkles and flowers…..it was so sweet of them to go to the trouble.

Yes Cinque he has an older brother….several in fact 😉😉

Wed lunch and last nights pub meals have only added 0.2 kg so happy with that.

Had another minor(ish) clothes shopping spree yesterday both locally and online. Hovering between size 8 and 10 at the moment. I purchased 4 dresses on sale online all size 8 so fingers crossed they fit ok.

Ljoyce yes lots of oohs and ahhs yesterday. I can’t recall anyone at the office receiving a flower delivery for many many years. Better go and get some work done.

Cinque – so glad that they don’t think the growth is dangerous. I also concur that less surgery is better unless there’s a definite need for it.

GDSA – given the decorated table I’d say your OHs daughter is rather happy about her dad’s new relationship. That’s a very good sign. Hope the new clothes fit.

Thin – I used to have to go to the health food store for legume flours but they actually stock McKenzie brand in supermarkets now. In WW & Coles it’s on the top shelf above the normal flours, but in Foodland they have Red Mill brand (more expensive) shelved with the gluten free products. They have soy, lentil and chickpea flours. The soy has the mildest flavour and the others taste like the legume they are made from. In a savoury dish that can be an advantage as it add more flavour than you’d get from wheat flour or breadcrumbs.
    My mother used to coat things like rissoles and fish cakes in seasoned plain flour rather than breadcrumbs before frying or BBQing them. So you may be able to use legume flours as a coating and not just a binding agent.

Cali – have a safe trip home, hope you manage a FD while traveling.

I’m doing another NFD today. So far, 1 pot of tea. I’m still thinking of doing a 3rd FD this week tomorrow, then I’ll have more options at the family brunch Sunday. I’ll see whether I’m in the mood for it tomorrow, I often hit a bit of a mental wall with a 3rd FD.

I contacted JJ about the missing search function from the website. There are problems with it and they are creating another one. Not sure when it will be functional.

Thanks for the info on sourcing legume flour, LJ. I did find the Chang’s konjac noodles at Spudshed while picking up OH at the general aviation airport today. I wouldn’t normally pay that price for them considering the Asian grocer’s konjac ribbons are cheaper but bought a packet today in the interest of ‘experimentation for health benefits’. If I like them, I’ll stock up when they’re on sale in future. Do you have Spudshed in the eastern states?

Viewing 50 posts - 13,401 through 13,450 (of 28,029 total)

You must be logged in to reply.