Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,917 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 1 day, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 13,351 through 13,400 (of 28,021 total)

• Good morning all, hope everyone is having a grand Sunday of rest.

We are taking our homestay girl to Port Douglas for a drive. It is about 1 hour drive north of us. They have Sunday Markets on and we will go to the local pub for lunch.
    Yesterday my husband made his famous chinese chilli fish for dinner. I fasted all day and ended up having a small bowl of this. When I weighed myself this morning I was 80.2 so I have lost some weight.
    Thin yes I was getting discouraged but kept hoping that the “whoosh” effect was going to happen soon and that my body was just being stubborn and hanging onto this weight to teach me some sort of lesson. Really I could have easily given up at this stage but I really wanted to stick to the 5:2 this time and really wanted to change my way of eating. I am still learning about 5:2 and also I think my body is learning too.
    I will have a salad for lunch and I have a chicken defrosted to roast for dinner tonight. Then tomorrow I will have a FD. I am going to plan dinner around a salad dish, but trying to decide on which type of meat to have with it. Maybe a Warm Thai Beef Salad dish? That way I dont have to cook something different for the rest of the family.
    The chilli discussion has been interesting to read. I really like hot chilli and add chilli flakes to a lot of soups. I also use cayenne pepper in some dishes too. I make a dish called Mexican Pot which is basically one red capsicum, one green gapsicum, an onion and mincemeat. One can of crushed tomatoes goes in with chilli powder, cayenne powder and beef stock cube and one cup of uncooked rice. Add some water so the rice can expand while cooking and you have a one pot mixican chilli dish. You can make it as hot as you like with the chilli powder and the cayenne.
    We get fresh chilli here in the supermarkets but they dont give a name of them, just chilli on the description on the shelf. I have seen long thin ones and smaller round ones. I have purchased them a few times but it is hard to gauge how hot they will be. Sometimes I get birdseye chillis from friends who have grown them and sometimes I use the Jalapeno ones you can buy in a jar. I think I would be better to buy my own plant and grow my own.

News from yesterday was that two bodies have been recovered from the fishing boat. No identification has been issued as yet. From what OH has told me it may have been difficult to get out if they were in cabins due to everything being tossed around as it capsized and overturned. Things from the galley like fridge freezer microwave tv etc would have been tossed about. Maybe things were also stopping them opening cabin doors. Or even some could have been knocked unconscious by items. Eventually we will find out from the coroners report but that will take a long time. The coroners report from the last accident where our friend Martin died has still not come out and it has been over a year since that happened.

Well it is time to get moving so I will say bye for now and catch up later.

Good morning everyone
    It’s a lovely sunny day in Gloucester NSW – enjoying my relaxing weekend. Birdlife are out in force, country air so refreshing. Gardening rejuvenating – we’ve planted lots of veges for summer eating.
    Made slow cooked casserole yesterday – healthy & delicious. Will try pressure cooker next time.
    Cinque & LJoyce: after my carb load Friday, didn’t feel hungry till midday Saturday, then had dinner 6pm – feeling better today. Maybe these eat times would be better than ‘3 meals/day’ & ‘eating by the clock’. Cin – enjoy your FD.
    LJoyce – looking forward to trying your pasta recipe – sounds tasty. I’ll also look out for Changs konjac noodles.
    Thin: agree with good weight scales – on my old scales, weighed 3 times with a range of 400gm total, confusing. My Fitbit scales are much more reliable. Enjoy watching your new trees grow & the birds they attract.
    The writer’s group consists of 3 writers & 2 listeners (1 being me & enjoy same immensely). My OH (an excellent poetry & short story writer) & 2 female friends, all write short stories about many topics eg times when growing up, current times, family events, life’s experiences – then read them out & get critiqued by the whole group. Each writer has plans to eventually have their stories in book form. We finush with healthy lunch & sometimes not so healthy sweet treats – have to say no to self from now on – lol!
    GDay: monthly measurements work for me.
    JJulie: so sad to see the news about your friend from the trawler incident – my thoughts are with you.
    Off to visit Dad in Nursing Home – so miss having him at home!
    Enjoy your Sunday everyone, whatever you’re getting up to.
    Cheers.

Good morning SHs, hope you all have a nice Sunday planned

Mine will be a quiet day at home – fasting.

JJulie – I also saw the news about the trawler, so sorry.

Arelkade – The only place that I’ve found the Changs noodles is Coles – they are shelved with the other Asian noodles – usually on the very top shelf. The label on the packet is “Super Lo-Cal Wok-Ready Noodles “, but when you read the contents, it says they are made from konjac. This is what they look like: http://www.changs.com/products/details/Noodles/Chang-s-Super-Lo-Cal-Wok-Ready-Noodles/
    Most supermarkets stock Slendier brand konjac noodles (shelved in the health food isle), but Changs are cheaper.

Cinque – sorry to hear about the drying dishwasher – not an easy appliance to do without. Hope the FD goes well.

GDSA – so pleased to hear that yesterday went well. Hope you get your relaxing day.

Family brunch was cancelled this morning, so I don’t have to make do with a pot of tea while watching everyone else eat a hot breakfast or pancakes. I’m hoping for a good FD – no appetite so far which is a good start. I’m thinking I’ll do FDs Today, Wednesday & Saturday, which will be 3 for the week, but that fits well around my other plans for this week.

Rant alert.

I’ve just been reading for the first time about the trawler JJulie. How sad for the sole survivor. All guys in their prime too. It looks like exhausting work for the police divers.

Please don’t give up! We can work it out. It might even just be one offending food type that you’re as yet unaware of. If nothing else, continuing with 5:2 will help shape your portion sizes and food desires over time. As GDSA has just realised with the sticky drink. One thing that I hadn’t realised was changing at the time was that I had gradually stopped buying most of those ‘food like substances’ that are typically stored in the fridge door.

Cinque, I hope you got your garden watered. Sometimes hand watering is relaxing, at other times when you’re time poor, it’s a real chore. We have water restrictions in WA as I suspect you might in other areas. We can only use our reticulation (how’s that for local vernacular CalifD/Penguin?, it means sprinklers) two days a week. Neighbours can dob each other in for incorrect use. In theory, this might sound sensible but it removes all common sense. Let’s say it’s forecast to rain on my assigned watering day. I do the responsible thing and turn off the retic. But the rain amounts to nothing so I turn it on the following day instead – and risk $100 fine! Madness.

We live within a few hundred yards of an Olympic size pool yet the local council places no restrictions on the building of new swimming pools. Our neighbours’ children can splash and bomb in their pools all day long, leave the covers off to allow evaporation yet I can’t water my plants on a controlled timer. I feel if we’re truly concerned about water use, every home should have the same allowance whether you’ve chosen a foliage or a concrete jungle. I believe we’re very water conscious due to having lived in California but I also believe that the greenery helps cool our home in summer. (Disclaimer: I’m also biased against backyard swimming pools due to excessive noise pollution).

🌶 I grow my own chilli. It’s very easy to grow. We always have more than we can eat but it looks pretty growing. I string up the excess and hang it in the kitchen window to dry. Then I crush some with a mortar and pestle. I remove the seeds from others and store them separately. I plant some of the seeds so we have a constant crop of fresh chilli. I sometimes freeze it but it becomes even more fiery after a spell in the freezer (there’s a chemical reason for this). If a recipe requires three small chillis, I know to add less than half of one of ours.

A few mantras that I learned from people on this thread: eat mostly plants; don’t buy anything that your grandma wouldn’t recognise and nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!

Hi Thin – I agree with most of your rants.

The one mantra that I’ve always struggled with is “don’t eat anything that your grandma wouldn’t recognise as food”, it’s always made me feel quite conflicted, because some of their choices were not good. Neither of my grandmothers would have gone a day without cake or biscuits (homemade of course) – every cup of sweetened tea drunk between meals, was accompanied by one or the other. However, they had hard physically demanding lives – so they actually burned off the calories. (I kept the tradition without the activity.) I do get where this matra is coming from – there’s too much processed food in most people’s shopping trolly – with that I totally agree, most food has spent more time in a factory than a farmer’s field.
    I also remember the sugar “bin” in my nana’s kitchen – at a guess I’d say it had a 20kg capacity – it sat on it’s own stool because it was too heavy to lift. This was needed for not just baking and desserts, but all of the homemade jams, pickles, chutneys, cordials etc. Not to mention the 2-3 teaspoons of sugar that they put into every cup of tea.
    Their meals were pretty healthy, but the snacks between meals were all essentially constructed from white flour + white sugar + lots of butter.

Something I really do find helpful is to visualise what they put on a dinner plate most days. The meat/fish portion was modest, most of the plate was veg (always 3-5 varieties). The overall serving size was quite modest. In fact I now have my nana’s best dinner set and her main dinner plates are quite small – about the same dimension as the entree/starter plates from my newer dinner sets. The only things I don’t like remembering about their dinners was the extreme over boiling of every vegetable, over cooking of all meat and all meals being accompanied by mashed potato. However when it comes to portion size and the balance of veg in a meal, they got it right.

A quick hi, back from my daughter’s, helping while she did a big batch of cooking for the week.
    I think I will go off and order a dishwasher next. So glad that I can.

LJoyce, it isn’t ‘Eat everything your grandmother ate’, it is ‘Don’t eat anything she wouldn’t recognise’. There is a great difference, ie exactly what you pointed out!

My wonderful Aunty Edie had a flour bin and a sugar bin. Wow, they might have fitted 40kg in them! They were in the country near Yarrawonga. Very important to keep the lid shut properly on the sugar so the ants didn’t get in. They were metal. (The bins, not the ants 😉 )

I find the portions on the plate useful too. I do things like think ‘I could eat 8 of those patties with my veggies’ and then realise that if I had it all on the plate it wouldn’t look balanced or well proportioned and therefore know that three patties are the go.

Maybe squeeze the fourth one on!

JJulie, keep hold of the thought that 5:2 is about longterm good health, and even if whoosh day doesn’t come for three months, you are doing such a good thing for your longterm health.

Thin, you do great rants! And obviously grow great chilies! I had a plant that lasted several years as the spot doesn’t get much of the winter cold, and it just kept growing. But it wasn’t particularly prolific. So good to know about the freezer making them hotter! I tend to buy several and just pop them in the freezer to keep.

Arelkade the writing group sounds lovely. My mum and my youngest sister were each in one (in different places) and I sometimes went along. It is not only good for writing, but good for practicing constructive criticism.
    I hope you had a lovely visit with your dad.

Rained today, so no watering can business for me today. But I don’t think it was much rain so I might be out there tomorrow.

Well off to see if I can get a good deal on my favourite dishwasher. Bye!

Hi Cinque – hope that dishwasher’s on sale.
    You are right, just because my grandmothers (and mother) ate something doesn’t mean I have to. They also seemed to be much better at stopping at one biscuit or one slice of cake than I’ve ever been. My nana’s sugar bin was metal also and it was painted in pale green on the outside.

Yes! Pale green! Was your grandmother called Edie? 😉

Also, I grew up on lamb, it was the cheapest meat then. We never had chicken, too expensive! I’m not sure how often we had beef, I think it was mostly corned beef.

I did buy a dishwasher that was on sale. It was $250 cheaper than my favourite one… so it became my favourite one. It does look a good one.

Time for miso soup. Whoopee!

Hi again
    Hope you all had a lovely Sunday.
    LJoyce: thank you for details of Changs noodles – I look forward to trying them & have copied the photo. Good luck with 3 FD’s this week.
    Cinque: Did have a lovely visit with Dad – try to see him daily; he lived with us for 5 years, went to NH mid August, miss having him at home. He is 85 on Thursday. Good luck with dishwasher purchase!
    Enjoy this evening everyone & each FD this week as well!
    Bye for now

Arelkade – hope you find those noodles without trouble. They are packed in water, not dry.

Cinque – no, but close, her name was Elsie. Well done with the dishwasher find. Enjoy your miso soup, I’m off to make a veg & konjac noodle stirfry to finish my FD.

News update if you are interested.

The police divers have completed their search of the vessel and can not find anyone else. The vessel has now been declared clear. The other 4 guys must have been able to get out, but may have drifted. Not sure where they are so the search will continue for them.

Our trip to Port Douglas was a good day. I had Thai beef salad for lunch and it was very filling. I am so pleased I chose this dish.

Roast chicken for dinner with sweet potato, carrot, beetroot and potato mediterranean roast vegies.

JJulie – of course we are interested in your news.
    I feel torn – sad that you and their families don’t have close, but I can’t help feeling just a glimmer of hopefulness that a miracle may still be possible. I hope there is an answer either way soon.

What a lovely chatty fast day Sunday it has been and I missed it all. There were even two posts before mine that I hadn’t yet read. We must have all been posting together this morning.

I have dropped 600gms since I weighed this morning! It’s all in sweat and tears in the garden. OH decided that before we plant our new natives, we should take the opportunity to re-paint the wall and the picket fence in that area. Another trip to Bunnings. All the pickets had to come off the fence to paint them properly.

Penguin, I was looking for you today. I dug and dug and dug and thought we might meet halfway. That old tree had certainly put down some serious roots. The poor reticulation (I don’t have to explain that word now that you’ve heard it earlier) had become entangled and the roots had pushed the lawn edging out of place, so that was yet another job. It was 3.30pm before I realised I’d had nothing to eat and took a short break for my cauliflower soup. I had to return to put one of the new shrubs in the ground even though I was by then quite tired. And OH has overdone it a bit with his recovering foot.

JJulie, a glimmer of hope for those poor families. I hope they had access to epirbs and other survival gear.

LJ, glad you agree with most of my rants. On the ones you don’t, feel free to have a counter-rant!

Yes the writers’ group sounds interesting.

A new dishwasher Cinque! Have they delivered and installed? Or will they?

Laughing about the grandmothers. 5.30pm. Must think about dinner at least for the OFMs. Your roast sounds nice JJulie. Hold the beetroot. I’m having leftover something but I can’t remember what – Mexican bean and chicken soup I think.

Thin – painting the pickets? If I remember correctly you only recently removed the paintbrush from the freezer from the last time you painted them!

Cali – thought you might like this photo of a cockatoo getting a drink:
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-20/abc-open-pic-of-the-week/9061864

LJ, you have a good memory. But that section of the wall and picket fence didn’t get painted due to the tree being in the way.

I couldn’t finish my FD dinner tonight. Probably because I ate the soup so late. It’s 7pm and I don’t feel hungry at all. I seem to be able to do no end of physical work on very few calories. But trying to do some simple mental arithmetic and I’m hopeless.

OK, I give up. What is a paint brush doing in the freezer?

This morning my weight was very satisfactory. Today Son and family have arrived. As required by social custom I did the Sunday lunch thing: roasted half a cow, Yorkshire puddings, potatoes roasted in goose fat, masses of veg, red wine. OH made a lemon meringue,pie, which has been put on hold until everyone has some internal space. Tomorrow’s weigh in could be interesting.

Penguin, I think thin put it in the freezer because she didn’t want to wash it right away. We pray that her OH doesn’t fry it up for breakfast some morning. 😆

Difficult news JJulie. <3

Elsie and Edie! Those were the days.
    I hope you had a lovely end to your fast day LJoyce. Mine was good.

Although reading about the English feast was a bit mouthwatering! Hi Penguin. I bet you enjoyed every mouthful.
    Hope the scales are kind in the morning.

What a day Thin! I hope you don’t ache too much this morning. But you must be proud, great work!

I’m hoping they’ll ring today and deliver the dishwasher tomorrow. but they promised ‘within a week’ so we’ll see.

My first cuppa has been good,

Best wishes all

Ha ha CalifD, that’s a possibility as he does eat anything. Penquin, you can place a used paint brush in the freezer (well wrapped in cling film) to eliminate the need to clean it if a job is unfinished. Saves paint, water and time. LJ remembered that, while painting the living room recently, I found the brush used to paint the picket fence. We went off to Spain and I forgot all about it.

Thanks Cinque, I was pretty achy last night but feeling great this morning. Penguin, I don’t know how you dig for 5 hours. You are a very fit man. Your son must have a very large family! Enjoy the time together.

Fingers crossed for the dishwasher’s early arrival. Our first one that came with this house lasted another 15 years. The second and third didn’t fare so well. Do they make appliances to last about a week after the five year warranty?

OK, weekend revellers, how are you faring on the scales this morning? Have a really good FD if you’re having one today.

Good morning all,

I am quite late this morning!! have been for my walk, then proceeded to make tomato soup as I have an overload of tomatoes from the garden and do not like to see them wasted.

Thin I read your rant!! I have not given up. In fact I did really well yesterday and had my thai beef salad for lunch as I previously said and last night’s dinner of roast chicken with vegetables was just perfect. The beetroot came from the garden as did the orange sweet potato. I bought the purple skinned sweet potato at the markets in Port Douglas and then added carrot normal potato and red capsicum. Drissled a little macadamia nut oil over the top with some italian herbs and baked in the oven. The chicken I cooked in an oven bag without any added fat/oil and I had a very small piece of breast meat with just a few of the vegetables. I was happy that this filled me up so I did not go back for seconds.

This morning I weighed myself after my walk and I was 79.5kg Therefore after 2 NFD I actually lost more weight than on three FDs in a row!!!

I have been trying to get through all the posts and just can not respond to all of them, but I was amazed to read about the roasted half a cow with yorkshire pudding etc. Reminded me of foods my grandmother would make, only the yorkshire pudding was poured into the roast meat fat and cooked in the pan. Not those nice little ones you see in restaurants, this was huge and you would cut a large slice of it for your dinner plate. I remember the flavour was divine but oh so much fat!!

I love getting into the garden too but as our temperatures are getting hotter and more humid now I am just doing a little in my vegie garden. I love a hard day in the garden and always spent my days helping my dad when I was young. Loved the dump trips to get rid of the tree prunings there was always something of interest in the dump!

And yes appliances these days are made to be replaced so as to keep the companys in business. Gone are the days when you bought a fridge and it lasted a lifetime!! I think I got 20 years out of my washing machine and this one is now only about 5 years old, still going but I am just waiting for it!! We bought a F&P fridge a few years ago that lasted to just out of warranty then seemed to loose it’s gas and would not get cold. The unit was fully sealed which meant you could not get into it to regas. This happened christmas eve and there I was charging to the shop to buy a new one and getting it to my house before I lost the christmas day food. Thank goodness there was a happy ending and of course did not buy that make the next time.

So today is a FD for me. I have made the tomato soup which everyone will have for dinner, then I will make a salad of tomato, cucumber and mizuna then cut up the remaining chicken from last night and make a type of caesar salad with chicken. I am going to go looking for some sort of salad dressing that would suit my FD to drizzle over it. The others will also have a poached egg with theirs.

have a great day everyone!!

Great news JJulie! Well done. Breaking into the 70s is passing a psychological barrier. Naked 5:2! We need the feast as well as the famine. 😆

Hi everyone

For those of you interested in Halloween I thought I’d post a couple of links. This is the site of a Sydney food & travel writer who also creates some good original recipes. (When I need a special occasion cake she’s the first place I go for ideas.) She seems to have an obsession for Halloween and bakes all sorts of crazy things at this time of year:
    http://www.notquitenigella.com/2017/10/23/halloween-scary-recipes-hospital/
    Frankly just looking at some of these foods makes my stomach roll over, I think I’d have to eat with my eyes closed to not be grossed out.
    This centrepiece looks like a Halloween gingerbread house, but it’s actually a dolls house complete with furnished rooms. http://www.notquitenigella.com/2017/10/09/halloween-sugar-cookie-dollhouse-recipe/

Hi all. As always, interesting to read all the posts. Thanks everyone (Julie, LJoyce, Cinque, CalifDreamer and Thinatlast) for all the empathy, encouragement and advice about my FD weight gain. Thin you gave me lots of tips which I’ve thought about. I drink black tea/coffee so not building calories from milk, and I don’t think I drink water to excess. But I think I do tend to overeat on NFDs, so since my last FD I’ve tried to be much more moderate. Today’s another FD so I’ll see how I go. I’ve also taken the advice on board to look at other markers. And yes, like you Julie, I feel I’ve shed off my stomach (just as well!). I had a good look in the mirror and I feel that the weight I’ve lost is showing. My husband even commented the other day, which is a good sign because usually he is oblivious, bless him. LJoyce I wished I’d measured before I started, but I’m using my clothes as a guide, and my jeans are definitely looser around the waist. Well it’s cold and rainy here in the sub-tropics, so I’m heading off for my first meal of the day – a cup of soup with Konjac. It’s been 16 hours since dinner and I’m well and truly ready. Have a good day all.

Lindsay, how wonderful that your husband commented on your weight loss. Mine would not even think of encouragement even if he did see a change. Not that I am worried about it as we have been married now 29 years and nothing changes.

Lindsay – I also find jeans are an excellent guide to what my weight is doing too. I have several pairs and I know which ones are usually a bit loose and which are a firm fit. If the loose one’s get tight I know I’m in trouble and if the firm one’s get loose, it’s happy dance time.

Julie it was nice to get the spontaneous compliment. Usually when I ask him if I’ve lost weight, he says he doesn’t know because he sees me all the time. Fair point. On the day of the comment I was wearing my black skinny jeans (the legs not the body within them haha). a long black top and boots with heels. If anything is going to make me look like I’ve lost weight, it’s that outfit. Shame I can’t wear it all year round. Congratulations on breaking the 80 barrier. How nice to be in the seventies.
    LJoyce you are so right about jeans. Very unforgiving, if there’s an extra kilo or two lurking around. I only buy one particular brand and size, so can’t just default to a slightly more forgiving pair if the need arises.
    penguin your description of your half a beast roast with all the trimmings took me right back to living in the UK. We used to go to a pub in the Lake District called the Wild Boar which served just the type of roast beef lunch you served your family. Happy times. Hope the scales were gentle this morning, particularly after doing such a lovely thing with your family.

Lindsay, The Wild Boar looks fabulous. Do you come from the Lake District?

JJulie, funny. My OH would answer the question as to whether I’d lost weight with another question, “Is that a trick question?”. He says there’s only one possible correct answer. All the time I was fat, he told me I wasn’t fat. Then when I became the weight I am now, he admitted that I was actually fat back then.

One of the places I wish I’d measured when I started was my calves. My boots look like Wellingtons now. It just occurred to me that I could measure the boot circumference. I lost 3cm from my calves!

Hi thinatlast. No, I’m Australian, but worked in London for a while and had a brother who lived in the Lake District, whom we used to visit often. Three cm from your calves is a huge amount! You must have very shapely legs now. And your husband sounds very diplomatic. When I ask my husband if I look fat, he says (carefully). ‘Well, you are a bit overweight – but then you know that.’ If only it really were ‘a bit’. Still I’ll soldier on – and hope for a good FD result tomorrow.

I feel a bit sorry for OHs when asked questions like “do I look fat” or “does my bum look big in this” – I can just about hear their thinking: be very careful what you say or you’ll be sleeping on the lumpy sofa tonight.

Today’s FD went pretty well. I started getting a cold yesterday and now it’s come on full force. Not good timing since I have to leave Tuesday morning for a business trip. I hope the worst is over by then. I hate flying with a cold.

LJoyce, thank you for posting that picture of the cockatoo getting a drink yesterday. That was a cute picture. Oh, and all the discussion about grandmothers in earlier posts, my grandmother’s name was Elsie too. That’s not a common name anymore, at least not around here.

Thin, you must feel good about all the work you accomplished in your garden over the weekend. That was a lot of work! Is it easy to dig holes for plants there? Here the ground is a lot of clay and rocks so we rarely plant anything larger than a gallon container in a new spot. I’m surprised that plants do as well as they do in the heavy soil. We do add a lot of soil conditioners and topsoil when’re we plant anything. This year we didn’t have watering restrictions, but we did for several years before. We could only water 3 days per week during the hottest months and only in the early morning and evening hours. We had a 4 – 5 year drought that didn’t really end til this year. But it rarely rains during the summer anyway.

Lindsay, how nice that your husband noticed your weight loss. My husband wouldn’t normally comment. I think he figures it’s safer that way!

Penguin, your feast with boar and Yorkshire pudding sounds delicious! A good reward after all your digging and moving rocks.

Cinque, hope your dishwasher gets delivered this week. We replaced ours last year. The old one came with the house and was close to 20 years old. The new one is so much quieter. It also gets the glasses cleaner.

Well, time for me to get some sleep. Have a nice evening and night everyone.

The penalty for beef/Yorkshires at lunch, cold beef sandwiches and lemon meringue in the evening is two pounds. Fortunately I can lose it as quickly. We will all walk some of it off today, we are heading for the Black Mountains.

JustJulie, I grew up making Yorkshires the way you grandmother did – a large one that has to be cut. Those dainty little things you find in most restaurants are made in factories and frozen. In the north, Yorkshires were traditionally eaten before the main meal to fill you up before the expensive stuff. In our family we ate them with the meat/veg and afterwards with marmalade and milk. Of course you can add sugar and fruit to the mix and give it an impressive name like clafouti.

Penguin, I grew up with roast lamb nearly every Sunday but very rarely roast beef. So I didn’t come across roast beef with yorkshire pudding until I was an adult. I never really saw the attraction – probably because I wasn’t exposed to very well made yorkshire pudding.
    Then I saw a Nigella Lawson cooking show where she made one large pan of yorkshire pudding (in the way you described). But she didn’t serve it with beef. She put a big hunk of it into a bowl and poured golden syrup and then cream all over it – and I thought “now you’re talking – might be worth making after all”.
    I did do it as a family dessert once, but I think I enjoyed more than everyone else did and I didn’t know what to do with the leftovers – they do not reheat well. So I haven’t made it since.
    I think if I’m going to make a batter and pour syrup all over it, why not make pancakes. And if I’m going to combine flour, eggs etc to serve with beef – I’d rather have dumplings or pastry. so I’ll leave the yorkshire pudding to those of you with history of fond memories of it. I hope those of you who like it, continue to enjoy it – occasionally.

Good morning all. Having a yay day today as dropping below the 63kg has happened quicker than expected – this mornings weigh in was 62.4kg. Yay yay. FD today so there’s another bonus.

Downside is that I have 4 pub meals in the coming week. 2 with 2 different girlfriend’s (both of whom are dying to hear all about my new OH) and 2 with OH.

On the subject of mothers/grandma’s sugar bins from years past I inherited my mums 2 x extra large Plain flour and SR flour tins…..or rather barrels. Mum was a great cake and dessert maker before arthritis set in. I just love them – all battered from years of use.

Mum has just been approved to go into the aged care home so now just waiting for a place to become available. She’s really struggling at home on her own since dad passed in May and she is wanting to go which makes it so much easier. Although selling the family home of over 60 years is going to be tough for all.

GDSA – Well done on the weight loss. Looks like are going to have to do some careful juggling to squeeze the FDs in this week.
    I don’t envy you having to handle the house sale. My sister and I had to handle the sale of our parents’ home when my dad went into aged care. They’d bought it in the early 50’s and it was the only house they ever owned. The clean-up to get it ready for sale took many weeks, because there was so much stuff “saved” in case it was needed later. Knowing it’s not the family home anymore is also a tough adjustment – when I go back to the Riverland I still still drive past the house I grew up in.
    Something that I’d strongly recommend is that you talk to your mum about getting the paperwork for power of attorney done. It’s a difficult issue, but my dad’s GP told us we needed to do this and I’m so glad we listened. I kept the paperwork for 3 years before I actually needed to lodge them. Having this in place was invaluable when it came to dealing with aged care facilities, real estate agents, banks and doctors on his behalf and I did eventually have to take over all management of his finances when he no longer wanted to deal with it himself. We did the medical POA as well, which was extremely helpful whenever he went to hospital.
    I hope your mum finds that a place becomes available soon. I know this can take quite a while when it comes to country aged care facilities.

Hi Everyone,
    I am doing this with my husband as he was diagnosed with some heart issues, so i thought right lets do this together. His doctor recommended this diet. So the next day I bought the book, read it from cover to cover and was so inspired that I couldn’t wait. We have been on this journey for nearly 14 weeks, with a 2 week holiday 2 weeks ago. I have lost 9 kilos and loads of centimeters, hubby has lost just over 9 kilos too and I have to say, it is amazing, we really find it easy now and even while on holidays, I watched as family members consumed huge amounts of food and they still seemed to be hungry all the time. I love it and wish I had heard about it years ago.
    Love reading your stories and keep going everyone.

Hi Bee11, glad to hear that you and your OH have found the 5:2 plan easy to do. Well done on that weight loss – I suspect your husband’s GP is pretty happy with his progress.

Hi Bee and very well done to both of you! Hi everyone 🙂
    Just a quick question. What does OH stand for? I can think of a few things but I doubt that its the right one. LOL

Quacka, There is a lot of shortening in these posts and sometimes it takes me awhile to work them out. (sometimes I dont work them out!!!)
    But OH = other half …….. lol

I can tell you that much

Hi Bee … good work on the weight loss but more importantly on the significant health benefits you’ll both get from this program.
    My great news is I had a terrific FD yesterday – one kilo down this morning. It’s only the kilo I put on last FD, but I’ll take it happily, and hope for another on my second FD on Thursday. I’d wondered (after watching the Catalyst program last Tuesday) if the colonoscopy prep had had a negative effect, so I’ve been working on getting those good microbes back. Could all that prep have had anything to do with the gain?
    I also got some extra walking in yesterday – first down to the garage to take the car in for repair, then back down to collect it. The oil light was flickering despite my putting oil in on Friday (when it started). $1945 later, and the oil light is now on solidly, and it’s making a terrible noise as well. I wonder if anyone test drove it, before they handed it over at closing time. So back to the garage, and another hilly walk to collect it later…and more cost, no doubt.
    GDSA is is very hard packing up the family home. Such an emotional time, but also the practical. Even as I write, my husband is polishing the silver I inherited from my parents (none of my brothers wanted it, and I couldn’t bear to part with it). I love having it – though not cleaning it. My husband does it before Christmas every year.

Sorry, Good morning all.

I have been busy this morning.
    Up early and organising breakfast for our homestay girl.
    Then drive her into town to English school. Found a park and went to the bank to get money out of the atm. Then purchased yen for our next trip to Japan.
    Walked around to my Japanese friend’s massage salon to purchase a voucher to give to a another friend for her 50th birthday this weekend, then on to office works for office supplies. Back home to finish off the BAS statement that is due in 4 days!!
    Now sitting and having a green tea.
    Weight this morning is still 79.5 and having another FD today.

Thin what an ingenious way to find out your calf measurement/loss. I used to ask my husband if I was overweight and he would say no. Sometimes I wish he was a bit more truthful back then because now I would not be “obese”.

LJoyce I remember asking my OH “do I look as bad as that person?” of course he would not want to say yes, but when I think back I probably was as bad as that person and should not have been critical about her.

CalifD, hope you recover from your cold quickly. I know it is not good flying with a cold. OH had to fly to Thailand once with a cold that I gave him (In fact the doctor tested my for whooping cough the day he left and I had to give him the bad news when he arrived) Results came back clear in the end but it was a really bad cold. He decided to get it out of his system by eating as much hot and spicy thai food as he could. It worked quite well and cleared his head for the return flight home.

Pengiun, thanks for the information about yorkshire pudding. I did not realise you could make it sweet. I just remember the flavour of the one cooked in the beef juices and how absolutely wonderful it tasted.

GDAY I think a big congratulations is due to you. I hope you did a little happy dance around the bed!!
    I too have some of my mothers things from the kitchen. My mother was a great cook. I have some very old Womens Weekly recipe books. They are hard cover that is white with gold writing. I also have some of her baking tins. She used to make a wonderful Christmas cake that consisted of soaking all the dried fruit in alcohol for two weeks before you could even attempt to make it. Unfortunately with our temperatures here in Cairns I could not do that and like so many other things you can not do in the pantry. We keep flour in the freezer to keep it fresh and stop the bugs from getting into it.. Rice is put into the salt shaker to stop the salt from becoming hard…..and the list goes on. Therefore, what my mother used to do in Adelaide with her pantry items I can not do here in the tropics.
    I am also glad your mum is happy to go into aged care. It does make it easier. But yes selling the family home would be very hard. I have been through that after my mother passed away and dad decided to come up to Cairns to be close to us. Now my cousins are going through the same thins as my uncle passed a few months ago and the property has to be sold to be split between them. They are finding it hard especially since a lot of the homes in that street have been torn down and the large blocks divided into two then the developers build two houses on them and make a huge profit. My uncle lived in Henley Beach which is a very sort out area from what I hear.

LJoyce, good advice about the power of attorney. Something a lot of people dont think is important until it is too late. My dad wanted to rewrite his will about 6 years before he passed. A friend who is a solicitor told me that she was noticing dad was getting forgetful and that it should be done soon before he could be diagnosed with dementia. Part of her service was with a new will a power of attorney was done for free. It was one less worry when dad had a massive stroke and I had to discuss everything with the doctors in the hospital. The first thing they asked was did I have power of attorney. And like you I also had the finance as well as the health. My dad went into aged care and we rented his house during that time, so having the ability to take control of his finances made that easier too.

Now I come to reading Bee’s post……Welcome Bee to this little group of friends. You sound like you are doing really well so far. Dont forget you can ask questions here if you need help. I am maybe not the one that could help much but there are other who have been here for a long time and have helped so many before. And dont worry if you think the question is stupid or may have been asked before.

Well this post has gotten long again, so happy fasting everyone!!

Lindsay I have just now seen your post as mine took so long to write.
    Congratulations on the 1kg loss. you sound very happy about it.
    Love that your husband cleans the silverware every year before Christmas.

JJulie – had my dad’s GP not been so insistent (and she even gave us most of the brochures and paperwork), we probably wouldn’t have done anything either. I’m really glad we prepared them while dad was still thinking clearly. Having POA really helped with the financial and aged care, but I think the thing I appreciated the most was the medical POA. Because we knew exactly what dad’s instructions were and knew what interventions he wanted or didn’t want, not having to make those decisions at stressful times was a blessing. My dad developed dementia over the last 7-8 years of his life and he went into aged care about 6 years before his death. We had all of the POA paperwork prepared and witnessed before he was showing any visible signs of dementia.
    About 3 years before dad went into aged care he was involved in a car accident and had concussion. The CT scan showed a great deal of shrinkage in his frontal cortex – usually a clear sign that someone either has alzheimers or will develop it soon. That’s what prompted his GP to have such an urgent discussion with us about POA. It was actually a number of years after that before dad’s short-term memory really started to deteriorate. This is the sort of forewarning that most people don’t get. I often give friends with elderly parents similar advice – sometimes they take it. I understand that these are difficult things to discuss, but it’s good to not have to do it in a panic. I also remember when dad started handing over unopened bills and bank statements and told me didn’t want to have to think about these things anymore, because of the POA it was a pretty easy transition for me to take over this responsibility.
    The only other thing I’d say on this issue is that if one person has most of the responsibility, keeping other siblings up to date can help avoid problems. My sister and I shared POA, but because of where we each lived, she had the main responsibility for preparing and selling the house in the Riverland and I had the main responsibility for dad once he went into aged care – he wasn’t able to get a bed in the Riverland, so I found him a place near me in the Adelaide Hills. Once I took over dad’s finances, I kept track of everything in a spreadsheet and sent my sister a copy every month. This allowed her to take over more easily if I was ill or away, but more importantly this openness helped avoid the problems that can occur between siblings in this situation. I’ve seen too may many families fall out over finances, when just one child has POA. Unfortunately I also know of situations where the child with POA has abused that responsibility.

Welcome to the forum, bee 11. Great job on losing 9 kg in about 14 weeks! It’s nice to find other people have discovered this way of losing weight and great that your doctor recommended it. It really is a very good way to lose weight and not get discouraged. “Going off” of it is part of the plan since we’re eating normally 5 days of the week.

Congrats to Julie, Gday and Lindsay on your weight loss in the last couple days.

Penguin, I’ve always imagined that Yorkshire pudding was a wet savory pudding, like rice pudding or something. I never realized it was more of a poofy pancake type of thing until I did a Google search for images of one. It looks like something I would like to try making. I’ll have to look up some recipes and maybe try it around the holidays.

I’m leaving for a business trip very early in the morning (Tuesday) and will be back late Thursday night. I hope this cold goes away soon. So far Benedryl (antihistamine) is keeping it under control.

Hope everyone has a nice week and enjoys more Spring weather. It’s still pretty warm here during the day but a lot cooler at night. The leaves are starting to turn beautiful colors.

With all that talk of roasts yesterday I decided it was time for one. So I have roast lamb (marinated in yoghurt & tandoori spices) and roasted parsnip, potato, carrot & sweet potato for dinner. Can’t wait.

Hi everyone, hope you are all enjoying beautiful Spring weather like we had here today.
    Well done to all those who lost weight this week & also to those who are sticking to 5:2 regardless for health benefits. It is a wonderful way of eating.
    Bee11 – welcome to this friendly group of inspiring people.
    LindsayL – hope you car is running smoothly soon.
    LJoyce – agree with comments for Power of Attorney. So glad I have this for my Dad, as well as Advanced Care Directive, & also Enduring Guardianship – since his nursing home placement these things have been indispensable! Wouldn’t have been able to do anything on his behalf without them. I also like your idea of a financial spreadsheet to share with siblings!
    Penguin – I’d love to try yorkshire pudding with all the trimmings, roasts can be so delicious!
    LJoyce – your roast also sounds delightful, what time is dinner lol!
    Must go, dinner on the table. Enjoy & bye for now.

LJoyce. That sounds good. I am glad someone else roasts parsnips. They were the only thing I missed living in Germany, where the parsnip doesn’t seem to exist.

Hello Bee 11. Welcome to theNorthern hemisphere as well – there are a couple of us here.

GDay, it isn’t just the selling of the house, it is what you do with the contents. My father and brother died so Mum moved into a small old folks’ apartment near to us. Most of the furniture she liked wouldn’t fit into it. That was over 6 years ago and I still have some of Dad’s things. I don’t want or need them and they have no financial value but it feels wrong to get rid of them. Mum died last year and we are doing it again, the bulky stuff has gone but we have boxes of photographs and small ornaments that she valued.

It took so long to get he family out of bed and fed bacon sandwiches yesterday that we only had time for one of the shorter hill routes – about 5 miles but a very steep climb and descent. Everyone was suitably tired and in bed early. This morning my Yorkshire pudding induced two pounds have gone and the weight is back on track.

Arelkade, our posts overlapped. Yorkshires are indeed delicious, but come with the warning that they are not great for weight loss!

CalifD, I suppose it is a pancake kind of thing, I use the same mixture when I make what Brits call pancakes, crepes I guess to you. The American pancake has caught on here, but is a much more substantial beast. Are you still allowed to say poofy in the US? Use it here and the Thought Police will give you a hard time. Our politically correct vocabulary changes so frequently that every time I visit those of the family living in London I have to get an update. I no longer know whether my mate from Chicago is black, brown or coloured, not that he seems to care. His kids, who have a white Mum, have fun winding up those to whom these things are important.

LJoyce, you have a very caring GP who keeps on you to make a POA. I am grateful to my friend who is also a solicitor who noticed Dad was getting to the stage that she could not witness him signing a document if she believed he did not understand. My father went to aged care straight from the hospital after his first stroke, and was there only 4 months before the next stroke. Some aged care is nice but others are not so much. All I can say is go look for yourself and go by smells.

Actually when you think about it I probably should organise this for myself. Now 60 with an old will and no poa in place.

I have just bought a leg of lamb to roast next weekend. All the talk of roasts makes me really hungry.
    And I also roast parsnips too.
    As well as the beetroot.
    It just depends on what is available at the time.
    I have been using as much vegies as I can from my garden. Today I picked a purple carrot to add to the salad tonight.

Penguin, how wonderful you have lost your yorkshire pudding and you are back on track!!
    Although I am not seeing such a difference in the weight on the scales. I can say I do feel a difference in myself. I can now cut my toenails without that big roll in front hindering me (sorry for the bad scene this must put in your minds) but I also am finding that I can turn over in bed much easier. Maybe you can not see too much difference in me yet but I can feel it and am so much happier.

Have a good evening everyone.

Viewing 50 posts - 13,351 through 13,400 (of 28,021 total)

You must be logged in to reply.