Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,915 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  LJoyce 10 hours, 10 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 12,151 through 12,200 (of 28,019 total)

• L Joyce. Unless I got the weight of the grains very wrong, 1.5 litres of milk was what the supplier advised. I have used about .25 litre and 14 hours in (overnight) it is looking good. I can’t see us ever using 1.5 litres a day, so if it comes to that I will be making cheese or thinning out the grains. Thank you for the links. Day 2’s batch was thicker and day 3’s is looking better again. Last night whilst looking around the web, I stumbled onto a supplier and how to do it site. That reckoned that thickness is a function of the fat content of the original milk and that if you want it thicker you can achieve that with the addition of some “pouring cream”, which I guess is what I would call single cream.

We are having weird weather here. June was the hottest for years. August so far is cold and wet – 18C yesterday but dangerously high temperature warnings in southern Europe The jet-stream has moved and our weather depends on which side of it we are.

Penguin – sounds like the grains just needed a bit more revival time to produce thicker kefir. Has the flavour improved too?

Third batch of kefir harvested. Thinner than the bought stuff but looking better than yesterday. Second batch tasted – better than the first but room for improvement. This is a work in progress, but there is progress. Grains more plentiful every day. If the batch I have just started is still thin I will try adding some cream to the mix.

Penguin, try tasting it at different stages of fermentation to check the flavor. I harvested some that was way over fermented in the refrigerator today. I put it in there to slow it way down because we weren’t drinking it fast enough and I didn’t want to start another bottle. When shaken it’s quite thick but very sour.

When this 3.79 liters of 1% milk is gone, I’m going to switch to whole milk since the calories are less when it’s fermented anyway. What is labeled here in the U.S. as cream is:
    Half-and-half contains 12 percent fat
    Light cream contains 20 percent fat
    Whipping cream contains 35 percent fat
    Heavy cream contains 38 percent fat

Whole milk is 3.5% fat

I wonder if that varies by country?

1.5 liters at a time would be more than I could use. It’s mostly me that drinks it, although my sister drinks some occasionally. My DH will drink a little if it’s not too sour. This time of year I have a batch every 18 hours or so.

Good morning.
    A bit of vegemite news! 🙂

“Vegemite may be more than just an Australian pantry staple, with a recent study suggesting the yeast-based spread may help lower stress and anxiety.”
    http://thenewdaily.com.au/life/eat-drink/2017/08/01/vegemite-reduces-stress-anxiety-study/

Hi everyone!

Cinque – glad to know my vegemite is doing me good (providing I ignore the salt content).

Cali – We don’t have half-and-half, that’s unique to the US. Probably because we developed a tradition of milk not cream in coffee. Australia was largely a tea drinking nation until WW2 when immigrants from across Europe came to Australia. The Italians bought coffee and showed us the delights of a cappucinio made with hot milk – we’ve been a milk in coffee nation ever since.
    Your fat %s for light cream whipping cream and full fat milk are the same here. I don’t think we have a product specifically called heavy cream, but there are a range of creams (usually from the smaller artisan dairies) that produce creams with various fat content (they seem to range from 38-45%). The Fleurieu Peninsula dairy produce pots of jersey cream. It is so thick you have to spread it with knife like soft butter – it’s even such a dark shade of “cream” that it’s bordering on yellow. I suspect that’s a dairy with some very well fed jersey cows.

I prefer reduced fat milk in my cups of tea and I get through about 2 litres (half a gallon) a week that way. But I definitely prefer the full cream milk in the kefir. To get the quality of milk that I want and the right fat content I buy a 2 litre container of full cream and the same of skim milk and mix them together. (These are the most readily available milks from my favourite organic diary.) Now I’m setting some of the full fat aside for kefir and mixing a blended milk with less fat for cups of tea. That’s fine as anything in the 1-2% range tastes right to me in tea.

My FD was a real struggle yesterday but I made it though with just a little over 500cal – approx 30 more I think. Oh boy did I need the extra FD – you should have seen this morning’s brunch:
    https://www.google.com.au/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x6ab0ccb7520f8a4d%3A0xa43302bcc29140c4!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Flh%2Fsredir%3Funame%3D105021871002743425298%26id%3D6286245007490154626%26target%3DPHOTO!5smount%20lofty%20summit%20-%20Google%20Search&imagekey=!1e3!2s-9bjCZQ7wet0%2FWOBHeLM7OWI%2FAAAAAAAAK2E%2FXqyfps5mf4Q2CeVA1mjC4E0YwhL9EzzEgCLIB&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjU1PSPx8HVAhUDWrwKHVRBBmEQoioIkQEwDg
    We went to Mount Lofty Summit for brunch to celebrate a family birthday. We had the breakfast platters which you can see from the photo is 3 layers of cooked breakfast items and pancakes. I ate a restrained amount but a lot more than I usually eat in the mornings. I’m just hoping it doesn’t trigger my appetite until late afternoon.
    Mount Lofty is the highest point in South Australia (and about 10 minutes from where I live). http://www.mountloftysummit.com/ On a clear day the view is great. This morning was freezing, wet and misty and we couldn’t see more than 2 metres in front of our faces. But the breakfast was very nice and so was the company.

On the health front I’m glad to report that I’m feeling a lot better today. I woke up alert and energetic, instead of feeling like a an elephant was sitting on my chest. Although, when I say energetic it is all relative – my version of energetic is a whole lot more restrained than most people’s definition.

Hope you are all having a nice Sunday (or Saturday for Cali).

LJoyce, that restaurant looks amazing! Too bad it was misty and you couldn’t see the view. But it looks like the brunch was the perfect splurge. Beautiful presentation!

The BBQ at the neighbors house involved a lot of food too. I ate in moderation except for too many potato chips (crisps). I don’t know why I’m so attracted to them. It’s another thing I don’t keep around the house.

I don’t know why we drink half and half (or in my case, soy creamer) in coffee and tea rather than milk. It sounds like it’s more common there to use a greater amount of milk too. I’ll have to try using milk and using more than a tablespoon. The idea of it sounds good. I’m a coffee drinker in the morning and tea later in the day. But I’m more likely to put a little bit of lemon juice in my regular black tea. My mother drank tea with lemon and sugar and it’s what I was used to. But I do like milk in tea as well. My DH always drinks tea rather than coffee these days.

Cinque, it’s nice to know that there are some health benefits to eating Vegemite. But it’s a pretty small amount per serving because it’s so salty. I was able to put more in that Subway sandwich the other night because there was more bread and lots of veggies to dilute the taste. And cheese. I have yet to try it in soup other than the miso. And the miso kind of hid the flavor. Maybe next time I’ll try using more.

Have a good Sunday everyone!

CalifDreamer. Inevitably it does vary by country. For me single cream is 18%, whipping cream is 36%, double cream is 48%. Skimmed milk is somewhere near your 1%, Semi-skimmed milk is 1.7% and whole milk is 4%. None of which I knew until I read your post and checked. I didn’t know about half and half, it is 15 years since I was in California and all that was on offer then was powdered dairy creamer.

The temperature in my kitchen is around 20C/70F and i have harvested at 20 hours, 24 hours and 26 hours. The longer I leave it the thicker it gets. The 24 hours batch tasted better than the 20, but still a little sour. I will try the 26 hour batch, which looks the best, tonight.

Penguin, we have our thermostat set at 28 in the summer and although the temperature drops somewhat at night, the kefir goes pretty quickly. The batch from yesterday was separating a lot between the curds and whey after about 23 hours. I’ve gotten used to drinking it more sour so that now when it’s just starting to separate it doesn’t taste “done”. The store bought stuff would probably taste too weak now. I would think that the longer times would produce more of the good bacteria, wouldn’t it? I put some thawed frozen blueberries in the really sour batch yesterday and the sourness still overpowered the sweetness. It was good though.

I need to take out some of the grains. There must be close to a cup now and that contributes to the quicker times too. It sounds like you’re going to be in the same position very soon! You’ve obviously purchased a good strong strain of grains.

Good morning everyone,
    Hello to the Monday fasters!

I am still recuperating so I have kept fasts on hold. This is another morning when I can tell I am incrementally better. Lovely.

Sending best wishes out to you all.

Hey everyone , I’m Sarah username sarahwat lol
    I’ve never eaten breakfast in my life but I got fat anyway cause i was a junk food fiend so start the Mon tues Friday 500 cal and I’ve lost 5 kg in six weeks . I’m finding sometimes I’m really hungry Friday and occasionally on Sunday after looking after my way of eating on sat. This Sunday just gone my hubby bought too many potato cakes and I ate four instead of the normal two and they were soooooo oily I had a pea and ham soup for dinner with ciabatta but when I got to bed I was so nauseous I thought I was going to be sick I mean really sick like I’d eaten a massive amount of food. Friday I pigged out on kettle chips about half a family packet but ate pretty healthy rest of the day .
    How long does it take before you start normalising your craving after days of 500 cals? Like I said I’ve been doing this for six weeks !

I hate this pigging out feeling I get

Cinque , Great! I luv my Vegemite

Just thinking out loud , I could be having hunger probs cause of the terribly cold weather , I do know that I look for comfort from the cold conditions and my soup does definitely help , think I will have a miso soup 🍜

Welcome to the 5:2 forum, Sarahwat. I’m not sure that cravings ever go away completely but they seem to be fewer and further between when I haven’t eaten sugar or foods that trigger them. Potato chips and sugary foods are 2 of my biggest weaknesses. I can’t have chips or ice cream in the house without craving it. Cakes or cookies I can have in the house and often freeze them. But chips and cookies call out to me from behind closed doors, especially at night when it’s quiet in the house and I’m sitting here reading or using the iPad.

I bet it was the oily potato cakes that made your stomach upset. Or maybe it was being over full. Our bodies adapt quickly to this fasting way of life and most of us realize we actually feel good with an empty stomach. Eating more than you needed might have reminded you of the old days and your stomach wasn’t prepared for that.

I’m always hungrier when the weather is cold and less hungry when it’s hot outside. It’s nicer to use the oven when it’s colder too and you don’t have to worry about heating up a kitchen that’s already too warm.

Hi Sarah, welcome to the SH group,
    I’m really pleased to hear of your success so far. You aren’t alone with the craving or the tendency to overeat sometimes on the NFDs. This is still an issue for me as well. I find that the more FDs I squeezed into a week, the more likely I was to binge on the NFDs. Like CaliD, I can’t have bags of chips in the house.

I also have issues with deep fried foods – if I eat any more than about 3 mouthfuls I know I’ll be dealing with nausea for 24 hours – definitely not work it. Any high fat meal causes problems for me but the 2 things guaranteed to cause the worst reaction are deep fried foods or reheated pastry.

Feeling hungry when it’s cold is very normal. I try to incorporate bowls of veg and legume soup as they are filling, warming and moderate in calories. On a NFD I will have then with rye toast for lunch and on a FD I will just have the soup as my main meal. At the moment I tend to stay away from salads as I need my food to be hot at this time of year.

I hope you continue to have success with this way of eating.

Cinque – glad to hear you are making slow but steady steps toward better health.

Hi CalfDreamer and LJoyce, great to talk to you, yes I agree I think because I don’t fry things at home , it was the oil that triggered the nausea, gosh I won’t be doing that again in a hurry lol, the bag of Kettle crisps are one that I will have to keep out of my pantry as it calls to me too even Watching it in a movie or commercial gets me going.
    I should learn from my FDs that soups are what keep me from going insane and probably should include these sorts of comfort foods on my NFDs and I’ve worked out a way I can eat mac and cheese without too much cheese which is something I love but the beauty of that is I can couple it with broccoli or carrots on the side . Yes salads for me are not very interesting during the winter months and leaves me feeling a bit empty but I love them during the summer. I have to remember to that I should not see NFDs as a free for all bringe, but rather keep an eye on what foods I’m eating and to stick to approx 2000 calories

Thank you to everyone , I am finding your experiences very helpful and interesting and I do think that this is the way to eat .

Sarah, I fell flat on my face with decisions for so many weeks while I learned what I could and couldn’t do if I wanted to lose weight. All of my issues were on the NFDs and not on the FDs. In the end I had to decide that some foods could just not ever go on the shopping list or enter the house. That doesn’t mean I never eat them, I just don’t allow them to be part of normal food at home. They are food I’ll have when I’m out at social occasions if I fell like them. It’s the only way I can keep them “occasional”.
    Because of my age, height and low activity level my TDEE is only 1400 calories so being careful on NFDs is not optional for me. Even now that I’m in maintenance I’ve been surprised by how careful I still need to be if I want my weight to remain stable. Unfortunately there is still an occasional binge, but they are rare these days thankfully. It’s taken time to learn that I can’t keep following fasts with overeating. It is normal for major changes like this to take some time.

After 2 meals out over the last 2 days I’m doing a FD tomorrow. I already have a bowl of lentil & vegetable soup thawed in the fridge as my main meal.

Goodnight all.

I agree with both of you that soups are great even on NFD and even in the summer. I think it’s because they keep you feeling full because of the liquids in them. And there’s also something comforting about a hot bowl of soup. I have to start making some from scratch. The problem is that my freezer is so full of frozen vegetables because we also eat a lot of those. The fresh ones don’t seem to last long enough in the summer. The canned soups can live in the pantry where there is more space.

Good morning all. Its been a week since I last checked in so quickly skimmed through posts. Had a great time with Miss D and friends at the fair although it was blowing a gale and freezing cold. I had my donut….and only one instead of three I would have had in the past.

0.5 kg off goal weight this morning…..gee it seems I’ve been hovering around that for weeks now waiting for the elusive 65kg to show on the scales! The jeans I bought when I first lost weight are now a bit loose so I should try on the size 10 as they should fit now….yay.

Another great op shop find on the weekend – brown fitted leather jacket for $20….another yay.

FD today so it’s good I have a busy day at work.

GdayfromSA, fantastic news on your loss , that is such a great achievement , I’ve got about 15 kg to lose , so a fair way yet but I will keep your inspiration in my mind and how good it feels when u get to goal .
    Congrats

GDSA – a $20 leather jacket sounds like a find to me too. I’ve been looking for one in my local op shops too, but haven’t found anything I like that fits nicely yet. Well done too on getting to 65kg. I’m glad you had some nice things happen in your week, after last week’s data disaster.

Cali – I rely on soup a lot in colder weather but I just can’t face it in the summer, and I’ve never liked chilled soups either. On the plus side, summer is the only time I can face cold salads, so it’s a good opportunity to eat more raw veg. So I just focus on getting veggies in the form I like for the season.
    I do always make my own soup as I just don’t like the flavour or texture of tinned or packet soups. Every time I make soup, I usually end up with at least 3 litres so some always ends up in the freezer. I find this invaluable on FDs when I’m not in the mood to cook even a simple meal. I can just pull single serve container of soup out of the freezer and heat it up.
    I do have similar issues with freezer space, as I currently only have a small freezer at the top of my fridge. I have learned how to pack it so that I’m not wasting any space. It always amazes me just how much I can cram into it if I pack carefully. I even replaced my round plastic containers with rectangular so that I can stack more efficiently. I used to have a small upright freezer but haven’t replaced it since it died and I still have a tendency to shop and cook as if I still had the extra freezer space. I don’t want to replace it at the moment though. I’m waiting to see how much space I end up with in my next house before buying new appliances or whitegoods. So I’ll have to manage with my modest fridge-freezer for at least another 6-12 months.

FD for me today, just one pot of tea so far. I definitely ate more food than I needed the last two days so this is a very necessary FD.
    I finally have a rain free day here. Still no sun, it’s been overcast all morning, but definitely an opportunity for a proper walk this afternoon. I’m hoping if I wait another couple of hours, the sun might manage to peek through the clouds. I think we get one more fine day tomorrow before the rains return.

Hope you are all having a nice day, fasting or otherwise.

Good morning all and welcome sarah.

I too struggle eating salad during the cold months and crave hot food. Always have plenty of homemade soup in the freezer for an easy weeknight meal -Cauliflower, pea & ham, french onion and sweet potato are staples in our house. I tend to make my soups very thick so I don’t feel the need to have bread with it. I love soup during summer too. I’m with you LJoyce not keen on tinned or packet soups with the exception of Heinz Big Red tinned tomato soup – one of Miss D’s favourite meals.

Ive just started freezing chopped onion and celery in small zippy bags – firstly to cut down on food preparation time during the week and secondly because they dont seem to keep well lately. They do need to drain on kitchen towel when defrosted to drain off the liquid but apart from that working well so far. I find chopping very therapeutic so apart from the tears I dont mind chopping large amounts of onion and celery although the smart thing to do would be to use the magi-mix !

Dropped off both of our pushbikes to the bike shop to be given a ‘once over’ yesterday. I havent ridden mine in probably 12 months and now that I feel fitter thought it would be a nice activity for Miss D and I to get back into. Will store then in the shed instead of the back verandah from now on to keep them dust free and in good working order.

Happy Wednesday everyone ☺

GDSA – sounds like you are getting ready for spring weather with the bikes.
    The only tinned soup that I used to eat was Rosella Tomato, but since Rosella went out of business my only tinned soup went off the shopping list. I do sometimes make a roasted tomato soup in late summer when tomatoes are cheap and plentiful, but it’s a lot of work, so I usually only get around to making one giant batch each year and stock the freezer with tubs of it.

I had errands to do in a neighboring town this morning and had an unexpected find in their Salvos store. A thick warm fluffy knitted jumper made from a yarn that isn’t scratchy and it fits and it suits me (trying to get all those criteria ticked off in one garment is a bit of a challenge). I tried to find one early in winter to no avail and in the end I gave up. Now that winter is almost over I finally find something suitable. I guess it means I’ll be ready for next winter.

Lunch was yet another meal out – this time with ex work colleagues in our favourite Asian cafe in the Central Market. I normally have one of their specialties (laksas, noodles or coconut cream curries). But I didn’t want yet another high calorie day so I ordered beef and veg stirfry in black bean sauce and didn’t eat the rice. They always provide masses of veg with their stirfrys so it was very filling. I then managed to get all of the fruit & veg shopping done at the markets and also splurged on some seafood at the fishmongers. I went in to buy a few prawns for a stirfry and came away with the prawns and monkfish and salmon. So I’m going to have to find some fishy recipies this week. I don’t buy or cook seafood or fish often – partly because I’m not that confident about cooking fish well and also because the cost is so prohibitive. Maybe I’ll make fish pie with a mixed root veg mash topping, that sounds appealing.

I have a rare sunny day here so I’m glad to have spent most of the day out of the house. Hope you are all having a good day.

Cali, I thought I would give you another taste of Aussie birds. This one is from Thin’s neck of the woods:
    A black swan (with signets). These are not only native to Western Australia they are the official bird emblem of the state. A more elegant choice than the emblem for my state which is a crow.
    http://imgur.com/TMhPu63

I don’t know how they got there, but around 1990 there were black swans living wild on the lakes on the Dutch/German border. They may be there still, I haven’t been back lately. I go to Madeira regularly – the hills are covered with the Eucalyptus. Our woods here are full of wild boar . which haven’t been native for about 400 years. We seem to be incapable of leaving things where we find them – but I have yet to see a koala on a eucalyptus in Madeira.

Penguin, in past centuries the one of the goals of most explorers seemed to be to take as many samples of local flora and fauna back home as their ships would hold. As for the fauna – I guess most ended up stuffed – literally!

There are quite a few farmers in Australia who rue the day that some idiots decided to bring rabbits and foxes from from England to Australia. They are pests we seem to have no hope of eradicating.

We now have more foxes to the square mile in towns than we do in the country, they are very adaptable. In the country areas we have mink. They were never native, have no local predator, no native animal can compete with them and they decimate the local wildlife. We have them because some people who didn’t approve of the fur trade liberated them. We also have people who have re-introduced the beaver and are arguing for the lynx and wolf. Nobody, to my knowledge, has yet suggested the brown bear, which also once lived here.

LJ, the black swans are beautiful! Have you seen them near you?

Penguin, I harvested some kefir last night that had been in the frig for a couple days, still from the 1% milk. It was really thick, not sure why, but maybe because it was pretty well fermented when I put it in there. And I’ve been harvesting every couple of days rather than leaving it sit in the frig for a week.

CalifDreamer, I think I have been harvesting mine too soon. One lot I harvested and put in the fridge popped like a fizzy drink when I opened it. The latest lot had over 50 hours fermenting at about 20C/68F and has continued to ferment since it was harvested yesterday and put in the fridge. I am going to leave the current batch until I am really sure it is thoroughly done. It is taking it’s time because in our glorious high summer we peaked today at 16C/61F. Only two things stop me migrating to somewhere warmer – I am so old that no country will have me and we have four grandchildren my wife won’t leave.

Penguin, it finally cooled off a little here to around 33/91 during the day and mid 60’s f at night. Such a relief after those high temps last week! I like the climate here but after the last election…

The length of time on the kefir varies here, often because I need to make space for the finished ones. I’m mostly the one who drinks it and the batches multiply too fast which is why they go in the frig. That slows the fermentation way down.

I’ve now been in the 138’s/62’s for 2 full weeks. It’s not really a plateau, it’s my eating too much on several of the days. I need to get serious here and get to my goal of about 10 pounds less. I’ve been doing fine so far today, and hopefully tomorrow’s FD will get me into the 137/61 range.

CalifDreamer, for one brief and worrying moment I read 138/62 as the temperature! I have been sitting on 217 for a week. I suspect I am somewhat taller than you. That was my initial target and I had ideas about setting a new target but am still enjoying the initial achievement.

The kefir that 2 hours ago was going nowhere has suddenly divided and I have an enormous amount of grains, many more and I will be making cheese. I poured away the whey and have very little kefir left, but already there is a layer of whey on the top. The jar in the fridge has also obviously continued to ferment and is dividing. The batch I have just mixed has about 1/4 whipping cream in it, left over from this afternoon’s baking. We will see what that does to the thickness. I have yet to make a batch I am really happy with, but am trying different approaches – one will eventually succeed.

The jar in the fridge that had divided was given a stir and was quite drinkable – not perfect but the best yet.

Penguin, I’m anxious to hear how the mixed in whipping cream one works. If not thicker, it will certainly taste richer.

Do you like goat cheese? If you do, and if you can buy goat milk somewhere, goat milk kefir is really good. I made it the first time with some spare grains, just in case, but after having gone back and forth between goat and cow milk a few times I’m not too worried about hurting the grains. It doesn’t taste exactly like goat cheese, but has that somewhat gamey je ne sais pas. 😄 It’s about 3 times as expensive as cow’s milk but I guess for the amount we drink it isn’t going to break the bank.

LJoyce, do you have raccoons in Australia?

I did think of one exotic looking bird called a Puffin that they have up in Alaska. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/b0/d6/73/b0d673b8f94192a7248b08b85d968965.jpg

Cali, no we don’t have raccoons, probably the closest native animal in size is some of the larger varieties of possum. Thanks for the puffin photo – I didn’t realise they lived in Alaska, I always thought they were native to some of the rocky coastline of Scotland. But then I guess if you have wings you aren’t confined to one home terrain you get to visit different countries – no visas required.

After debating about what to do with the seafood that I bought yesterday, I decided against taking the safe route of fish pie and try something new. I’m going to try to make bouillabaisse. I’ve never made it before so I am risking some expensive ingredients. I’ll try to make the stock today and if I don’t like the flavour of that I’ll abandon the idea and come up with something else. I’m going to have to adapt the original recipie as it contains several ingredients which have an aniseed flavour – definitely not one of my favourites. The only difficulty now is that I’ve found about a dozen different recipies and am a bit confused about which one(s) to follow – sometimes more is not a good thing, it’s just confusing. I did find an Italian fish soup recipie which is quite similar but has some veg and no aniseed so I may end up with a bit of a hybrid recipie to suit my tastes.

Cinque – are you still improving?

Penguin – be careful what you wish for when it comes to warmer weather. Your summer day forecast is 16C and mine for today is 15C – in late winter. You may have milder winters elsewhere but the summers can be brutal. We’ve have heat waves lasting 3 weeks where every day the temperature was 35-45C (95-113F). Unfortunately these weather conditions are often accompanied by bushfires.
    If I had to pick a country with an ideal climate it would probably be New Zealand – I particularly like the climate of the south island (as I’m not keen on the humid weather of the North). If it wasn’t for the high earthquake risk I’d say Christchurch was the perfect city. I visited it a couple of times before the earthquakes of recent years, it was a really lovely small city. There aren’t many places I’ve visited where I felt that I could settle in and live there, but Christchurch was one of them. The only place in Europe where I felt like that was Lucerne, although I saw it in early autumn and I doubt I’d like the winters.
    I don’t feel comfortable in large cities and really crowded places because I’ve never lived in one. The largest city I’ve lived is Adelaide (1.2M) – and that was a big adjustment from the town I grew up in (population was about 5,000 when I lived there but it’s down to 3,000 now).
    Oddly Christchurch as a “sister city” to Adelaide and the way the CBD is laid out with lots of parklands is very similar in both cities. I suspect that’s why Christchurch feels so comfortable to me – it feels familiar.

It’s a NFD for me but I’m aiming for what Cali would call a controlled day. I’m aiming for that M-F but this week on Monday I showed a distinct lack of control so I really need to get back in the driver’s seat. When it comes to my eating I sometimes feel like I’m in one of those driverless cars – not in control of where I’m going or the detours along the way.

I LOVE bouillabaisse! But I’ve never made one that Imwas perfectly happy with. There was a restaurant in Berkeley, California, Solomon Grundy’s, that used to have a wonderful one. But I can’t find an online recipe for it. LJoyce, here’s a recipe that at least looks the right color: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12637-mark-bittmans-bouillabaisse It does have fennel, but if you don’t like the anise flavor you could use less or omit it. There are a lot of different recipes for in online. You could just combine them. If you find a good combo, let me know the ingredients. (I rarely measure anything.)

Cali – The Mark Bittman recipie looks more like the Italian fish soup recipie that I found because of the potatoes and carrot. All of the French versions that I’ve found use tomato and onion in the stock which get strained out and the only veg in he finished soup is fennel with masses of seafood. I want some veg in my final soup so that it feels like a complete meal. So I had intended to add potato and carrot to the final soup. I might add some baby spinach just before serving too. Because I won’t be adding pernod to the soup I added white wine to the stock.

I have been cooking all morning, so I’ve already made the bouillabaisse stock. It has an unexpected but not unpleasant flavour – I was surprised by how dominant the flavour of orange is. I have fished out the strips of orange zest while it cools so that the orange flavour doesn’t increase any more. I may end up using just half of this stock and mixing it with plain chicken stock so that the flavour is closer to what I expected. I could also imagine adding something like laksa paste or sambal olek to one bowl of it for a spicy fish soup – that would definitely stop the orange being a dominant flavour. I’m hoping it will freeze as I’d like to put 1-2 portions into the freezer, I think it would be a nice FD meal.

In addition to the stock I’ve also roasted cauliflower florets in lemon zest, cracked pepper, garlic and olive oil – they will be the base of a warm salad for dinner. It also contains baby spinach, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, toasted pine nuts and currants. The dressing is usually greek yoghurt but I’m going to pour kefir over it instead. I’m not a big salad fan, but this one one I love.

I’ve also made a massive baking dish of vegetable gratin containing cauliflower, broccoli, purple kale-sprouts, carrots, potato, asparagus and mushrooms with a low calorie bechamel (made with almond milk and a little butter) and pecorino. I should get 8 generous portions from this, most of which will end up in the freezer. I love veggie dishes like this as one portion gives me all my veg for the day in one dish with veg of every colour – just add a portion of protein and dinner’s done.

I shouldn’t have to do much cooking for the next few days. I’ve now dealt with most of the veg I bought at the markets yesterday. There’s just some broccoli and capsicum left for a stir fry and asparagus for an omelette. I don’t think I’ll have any waste despite the huge volume of veg that I bought. This is something I always worry about when my fridge is full of fresh food. With only me to eat it, it can be challenging to use it all while it’s still in good condition.

Sorry to those of you on a FD, I shouldn’t be talking about food and cooking.

Hi Everyone,
    Just a quick note as I am recovering so slowly I am not quite sure I am recovering at all. My appetite has been off so fasting feels inappropriate. I wonder if I will get a fast day in before Thin comes back?
    I’ve had a couple of days where I couldn’t face coffee. The other one was okay but today I felt dreadful! Rolled with it though, but that meant nothing got done!

Good luck with your fish soup LJoyce! I hope it turns out wonderful. I just saw a repeat of Rick Stein ending his journey though France on a barge with a wonderful bowl of Bouillabaisse.

Sending best wishes to everyone!

LJ, I agree about leaving out the Pernod. The fennel would add just enough mild anise flavor. I didn’t know about the orange. I hadn’t seen that in a recipe before. If you have space to freeze what you aren’t using in this recipe, you’ll probably find other uses for it. I can’t imagine straining out any veggies in the finished soup. I would never do that. I think the white wine will be good.

I’ve tried to make bouillebaise in the past and just couldn’t get to the right flavor with the broth part. There are a lot of subtle notes. Maybe fennel, orange and leeks are the key. (Along with the potatoes and tomatoes) I used fennel but hadn’t heard of leeks and orange. I hadn’t thought to use saffron either. It’s hard to create something by taste when you haven’t tasted a good version of one it a while.

The roasted cauliflower sounds wonderful! I love pine nuts too and I bet they’ll be good with the currents. I’ve been putting warm/hot vegetable mixtures on top of green salads lately too. It really makes for some interesting flavors. You and I have similar tastes I think.

I made a dish yesterday that turned out well. I used an Instant Pot pressure cooker but it could have been done on stovetop with a little extra time. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs, lots of lentils, diced tomatoes, coconut milk, generic curry powder, and some madras curry powder, and cumin. I set the cooker for 15 minutes and let it release pressure naturally for about 15 minutes after. I added some green peas at the end and a handful of chopped cilantro. I served it with bismati rice. It turned out really well and tasted even better today. I’ve also made it without the chicken many times in the past.

Cinque, we were posting at the same time. I’m sorry to hear you still aren’t feeling well. I hope you’re getting enough rest. I wouldn’t worry about fasting until you feel better. It doesn’t sound like you’re eating much anyway. I hope you start to feel better soon because it’s been going on a long time. I’ll send you some warm weather from California. You need some sunshine!

CalifDreamer. The creamy stuff is roaring away, developing much faster than any of the others. I like goat’s cheese so I’ll try their milk. I can’t agree with leaving out the Pernod, unless you then drink it. If you put it in you can do both.

LJoyce. Sunny today, so I’ll take number one grandchild clay pigeon shooting, if he ever gets out of bed. Finding an ideal climate is tricky – Madeira is a good one, mild winters, not too hot in the summer and almost nothing that bites you. I’m with you on big towns. I have worked in Kowloon, Berlin and London. They are great if you live in the middle (so no commuting), are young, have no commitments and plenty of money, but I prefer the country. Unfortunately the theatres and art galleries are in town, and the best are in London, a place I have grown to dislike.

Cinque. Get well soon, your posts are missed.

Morning all. Still overcast and windy here but the temperatures are much milder. It’s amazing just how much difference 4-5 degrees can make.

Penguin, the pernod is definitely staying out – I don’t have any so it’s a moot point. I rarely drink alcohol these days, so I only keep wine, brandy and port on hand for cooking with. Unfortunately I had to give up alcohol a few years ago – the treatment drugs for rheumatoid arthritic can place quite a stress on the liver so it’s better if I don’t add to that burden with alcohol. I will still have a very occasional glass of wine or champagne for a special occasion, but it’s rare.
    I agree about cities – access to everything cities offer is great but I haven’t wanted to live there in a while. I’m very lucky where I’ve been living for the last 2 decades. I live in a town in the Adelaide Hills that feels like a village not a suburb, yet I’m only 17km from the CBD. It used to be a lot further, but about 15 years ago they dug a tunnel through the mountain and extended the freeway (motorway), so it cut the time down considerably. It also removed all of the dangerous windy roads and hairpin bends – where trucks regularly lost their loads. I feel like I have the best of both worlds really. Unfortunately there isn’t a flat street in the whole town, which is not a good prospect for me as I age, especially with rheumatoid arthritis to slow me down. There also are virtually no small homes on small blocks of land. My land size is about 1/3 acre and that is really small for where I live. Current council rules would not allow anyone to subdivide a block down to that size (they won’t allow anything under one acre). It helps maintain the lush green uncrowded feel of this area, but it makes it really difficult for retirees who don’t want to leave their homes but struggle to maintain such a large garden. My aunt and uncle live just around the corner from me and are in their late 80s. They are struggling to manage a one acre garden but don’t want to move as my uncle was a stone mason and he built their home, leaving it is still too hard for them to contemplate.

Cali, that chicken coconut curry sounds good – pretty much anything with coconut milk tastes nice I think, it can turn a simple curry into something very moreish – add coconut cream and it really has me swooning.
    After tasting my stock I decided to dilute it half and half with plain chicken stock. I like the final blend – I can still taste the influence of orange, wine and tomato but it’s a bit more restrained. The final volume was 3 litres so I’ve put half into the freezer – I think it would be a perfect stock for a paella. I don’t cook with rice because it has such a poor fibre content but I might need to consider experimenting with some of my preferred high fibre grains and see if I can make something like paella using either freekah wheat, pearl barley or kasha buckwheat. Tonight I’ll use the remaining stock to make the bouillabaisse and hopefully it will be nice – if not, it’s going to get the chilli treatment.

Hi to Cinque, GDSA, Merry, Minka, Joffy, Sarah, and anyone else who may be reading but not posting.

Final word on the bouillabaisse – it was very nice.
    I was a bit worried when I added the veg (carrots, peas, red onion & potatoes) as the stock smelled fishy, and if there’s one cooking aroma I dislike it’s “fishy”. Oddly, by the time the veg was cooked and I added the fish and prawns the flavour and aroma had evolved into something more inviting. I’m one of those odd people who will only eat fish if it doesn’t smell strongly of fish – a bit of a challenge.
    It’s made quite a large pot so I’ll definitely get several serves into the freezer. I’m going to have to roughly work out the calories so I know if I can use it for FDs.

Hello all its Friday evening here. Happy day for me as I submitted my first block of assignments to my lecturer for assessment today – 3 weeks earlier than the due date. Fingers crossed I pass and can move on to the next unit asap.

Ljoyce yes I remember driving through the Adelaide hills before the tunnel and freeway was built. I can also recall quite vividly driving through the tunnel for the first time – my first tunnel – I was so amazed and couldn’t wait to go back through again. Im fairly sure we were on our way to Melbourne at the time as 15 years ago seems about right.

I also live in similar circumstances LJoyce with a council requirement for large land size and no sub division allowed but its due to being on a flood plain here. I have a double whammy by living on a corner block so have about 12 times the average footpath/verge to maintain and keep weed free. Im very house proud and cant bear for things to look untidy.

Received some lovely comments at work today regarding my weight loss so another reason for being a happy day.

Im starting yoga class on Tuesday. I couldn’t attend the group class times due to work so the teacher offered to give me one on one classes from her home at no extra cost. Really happy about that and looking forward to it.

Weather is going to be lovely this weekend so will be spending as much time as possible outdoors.

GDAY, congrats on getting all the assignments in! That has to be a huge sense of accomplishment and relief. Comments on your weight loss are one of the best parts about losing weight. We see ourselves every day and sometimes it seems incremental, but when others notice, it affirms that we’re making progress.

I would like some of the conveniences of living in a big city, but the cost is usually high, and the crime rates are usually higher too. I’ve always lived in the suburbs, not too far by car for shopping and services, but a little more space and lower cost. I don’t like being too far away from neighbors, but not right on top of them either. Our house sits on 1/4 acre lot and is mostly on a hill. We just hired a bi-weekly gardening service about a year ago, to keep weeds and such off the front hill and the small amount of grass in the back cut. Our neighborhood is very hilly too and there will come a time when that will probably be a problem for us. But for now, we like our home and aren’t thinking about moving.

Good morning everyone. I’m actually sitting in the sun writing this – rare bliss. Definitely going to be a gardening day so I can make the most of the weather.

GDSA, it sounds like your week got better as it went along.
    Well done on the assignments and the comments on your weight loss.
    Enjoy the yoga – I have a dvd of yoga designed for seniors (that’s about the level I can manage) I use this in wet weather. Getting one on one instruction is an added bonus, I really hope you like it. I find it helps with flexibility.
    When I used to work in the city, the thing that I always found intriguing was that I could drive in one end of the tunnel in thick fog or heavy rain and come out the other side to fine weather and even sunshine. (No prizes for guessing which side of the tunnel had the bad weather!)

Cali, I’m very happy living close to Adelaide as it’s a small city and you get many of the benefits of access to city based services but without the congestion in traffic and people of the larger cities. (While I enjoy visiting larger cities like Sydney and Melbourne, I don’t know that I could comfortably live there.)
    Like you I have a sloping block (quite steep in places) and I rely on a gardener to regularly mow the lawns and slash back the ivy and periwinkle. I’m hoping that within the next year I will have moved down to the inner southern suburbs (5-10km from the CBD). For Adelaide the city centre is not high crime (Apart from that caused by alcohol on the few streets with lots of bars and nightclubs. Basically if you stay away from Hindley St and the area around it at night you’ll probably be ok – Hindley St is Adelaide’s equivalent to Sydney’s Kings Cross – on a smaller scale of course. The areas of the CBD where people live are fine – these are the streets closest to the rim of the CBD and adjacent to the parklands that surround our CBD. The worst property crime rates seem to roughly follow the socio-economics of an area, with the far north and southern suburbs being most affected by both poverty and property crime (burglary, graffiti and property damage etc). In wealthier areas there is a lot less property damage, but you still have to take precautions against burglary.

I’m doing a FD today. I actually worked out roughly how many calories were in a bowl of my bouillabaisse. It is about 1190kj (283cal) for 500ml – as it’s a hearty soup this is plenty, so I’ll have it for dinner tonight.

Have a lovely weekend.

I’ve spent nearly 3 hours weeding, pruning and digging out blackberries. I had the company of some very vocal kookaburras who seemed to think my efforts were pitiful. In the battle of the blackberries, I think I agree with them. I definitely came off worse for wear. I have so many scratches and puncture wounds that I’ve had to soak my top to get the blood stains out! I suspect I’ll be a bit sore tomorrow. My green bin is full to overflowing, so I took that as sign that it was time to stop.

Now enjoying a well earned pot of my favourite afternoon tea – French Earl Grey – fragrant and delicious. I’m feeling quite hungry at the moment so I’ve had keffir and a kiwifruit as well. A burst of activity usually spurs my appetite – not so helpful on a FD.

The weather was so mild today I actually managed to leave the doors open and air out the house. It’s the first time in at least 2 months that I’ve been able to do that, it’s just been too cold outside and I haven’t wanted to lose any of the warm air in the house that I’ve paid dearly for in either electricity or firewood.

Hi All,

I’ve been fasting today (Saturday) as a 6:1 experience instead of 5:2 this week. I’m up to my ears in more assignment deadlines and I’ve yet to work out how to handle that stress without eating! At least I choose healthy options though know I’ve consumed way over TDEE so haven’t been weighing either! Today’s FD is a relief, that’s for sure! I was kind of in a snack mode of feeding and I’m enjoying the peace of being free from that! Okay, now off to prepare my cottage cheese and strawberries that will be my dinner! To both those fasting and those on a non-fast day, here’s to all of us eating with care, awareness, enjoyment and feeling nourished in the process.

Minka, well done for fasting despite the stress of assignments.
    I really like your comment about “eating with care, awareness, enjoyment and feeling nourished”. I really need to heed this. I find it all too easy to focus be distracted by hunger (or cravings masquerading as hunger) or too focused on whether foods are high or low calorie. It’s too easy to miss the bigger picture. Thankyou for that reminder.

Good evening all. Absolutely beautiful sunny day today, was wearing just a singlet and thin pants by 11am. Spent the day doing yard jobs and am feeling quite worn out now with aching arms and legs. A bit the same as you LJoyce by the sounds of it and I also finished the day with an Earl Grey tea. Those blackberries sound quite nasty indeed.

Minka all the best with those assignment deadlines and hoping you find some stress relief. Now that I have a few free weeks before my next unit of study commences I will concentrate on reaching goal weight. 0.4kg to go as of this morning.

Time for bed. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend.

Viewing 50 posts - 12,151 through 12,200 (of 28,019 total)

You must be logged in to reply.