Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 3 days, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 12,201 through 12,250 (of 28,011 total)

• I have lived in over 40 houses – the penalty for having a father in the service and going that route myself. Twice since we married we were in three houses in one calendar year. The house we are in now we have had for 15 years, which has totally ruined our average. Earlier this year we contemplated moving across the river into a more civilised area and then realised we are not town people. It may happen eventually, but not yet. I’m not sure how large my patch is, but on the rule of thumb that a soccer field is about an acre, I have perhaps half an acre. My grass cutter has a motor which turns the blade, but I have to push it. I have almost no level ground and cutting the grass, according to my smart phone, requires me to push it for 2 1/2 miles. Good exercise. The green house, the veg patch and the fruit trees at this time of the year are supplying us, the grandchildren who spend the long summer holiday with us, the neighbours and the compost heap. For the first time in my life I feel as though I have roots. I can absolutely understand the earlier comments that giving up a property and moving into town is not easy.

Off now to harvest today’s kefir – I need a bigger jar or someone who needs a grain donation.

GDSA, good luck with that next 0.4kg goal, if you keep spending days cleaning up the backyard you’ll work it off in no time. I ended up soaking in an epsom salts bath before bed and have woken with few aches this morning. I have one fence line where blackberries drape across from the neighbours and try to set root on my block. I got about 20% done yesterday.

Penguin, I don’t envy you those moves. I moved a fair bit in my late teens and twenties but have moved as little as possible since. My parents only ever had one house so I had no experience of moving home when growing up. I definitely prefer stability – once you find a community that you like living in. Sounds like you are managing your land quite well at the moment. My dad managed 3/4 acre of gardens until his late 80s, although he needed help mowing the lawns for the last 5 years. Do you find that with a veggie patch, fruit trees and a green house you supply lots of other people in addition to yourselves? When I first moved here (before the arthritis slowed me down) I planted 5 extra fruit trees, in addition to the 6 already here (I ended up with walnuts, lemons, oranges, mandarins, apricots, plums, fig and 4 varieties of apples). I also put in 6 veggie raised beds, so that I could devote 4 to rotating seasonal crops and the remaining 2 to perennials like asparagus, rhubarb and strawberries. I had so much produce I fed half the neighborhood. Eventually I dismantled the beds because it was too much for me to manage and the neighbours’ trees had grown to a point that they were now shading some of my veggie beds that really required lots of sun. I created something much smaller that was closer to the house and instead of growing everything I could think of, I chose to grow just those veg & herbs that were either difficult to find, expensive to buy, or were just handy to always have on hand. I still have all of the fruit trees, although the parrots and possums take a lot of it if I don’t net the trees. I don’t actually mind feeding them, they are natives and they belong here.

It’s another nice day here so I’d like to spend more time in the garden. I might need to stockpile the rubbish though as my green bin is full from yesterday’s efforts.

Hi all again! Sorry for this long post. Admittedly, I’ve written so little for so long, a lot of verbiage has built up! …Probably this is a bit of distraction from the more stressful type of writing of assignments!

New members, sorry I haven’t yet gotten to know you, so have refrained from commenting on your posts. Once I’m finished study in September, I’ll be able to read more posts. Until then, ‘Welcome’ if I haven’t already extended that greeting!

GDSA congratulations on progressing to what I’d call a ‘whisker’ of your goal weight! Well done! Sounds like you and LJ get a lot of exercise in the garden! What a productive way of exercising! I wish I could do the same. Even through winter I’ve gotten midge and mosquito bitten nearly every time I’ve gone down into our garden. Usually the midges hibernate in winter, though this winter that cycle was very short because it has remained quite warm and sometimes even hot. All the best for your studies in the coming new term GDSA! Apologies for not keeping up with everyone’s posts so you may have said… GDSA did you end up blending keto diet practices with 5:2?

Cinque, glad to read you are on the road to recovery. I support you in doing what is best to heal. I’ve had weeks where I needed to forego fasting for medical reasons, too, so understand. Here’s to your appetite and digestion balancing after that course of antibiotics! How are you sleeping? Hoping you are getting luxurious hours of deep sleep at night and waking refreshed!

LJ, you’re welcome! I too need the reminder (big time). It’s Sunday morning and I’m soon to break my fast and staying in touch with what I wrote is the only way I’ll not revert back to last week’s patterns of snacking while multitasking. One night just before sleep, I read a few more pages of my ‘Neuroslimming’ book and I’ve decided to take on a ‘mission’ exercise as the book calls it, to only ‘eat when I eat’. This means truly sitting down quietly and engaging full senses and focus and doing absolutely nothing else at the same time! Last week I don’t think ate without multitasking, even once (of course eating convivially with others is also healthy and an exception to ‘doing nothing else). Anyway, last week I observed that each time I put food in my mouth, I was either doing so while working on the laptop, in class while listening to a lecture, at the table reading, munching while walking around the house, dinner in front of the news because that’s what Mr. M likes to do and because I never get dinner together in time before the ABC news starts and heaven help we miss hearing all the bad news out there! I’m coming to realize that multitasking eating only served to perpetuate my snacking and grazing since I wasn’t attuned to my senses while eating nor my head was always elsewhere! Granted I felt underlying panic of deadlines which drove me and the sheer putting of food in my mouth quashed those fears! So that way of eating had its uses! Anyway, going forward I’ve adopted this ‘mission’ for the time being. I’m hoping practicing such will allow me to engender those qualities I listed better than munching on an apple as I walk around the house searching for seemingly lost paperwork that I know I filed ‘somewhere’!

An IF observation… I did weigh myself this morning post yesterday’s fast and was taken aback when I read 57.2 kg. Yippee! What I’m realizing is maybe now that I’ve maintained goal weight range for nearly a year, my body seems to have adopted that as my new weight ‘set point’. I’ve observed recently that when I stray and eat over my TDEE that I return to goal weight range far more quickly than expected. This morning I began to feel that my body is like a ‘homing pigeon’ which now wants to return back to around 57 kg (middle of goal weight envelope range). …Not that this is making me feel complacent or that my ‘set point’ is set in stone! Of course holding the pigeon hostage in a cage of elevated calories for too long a time will serve to turn the pigeon back into a Foi Gras goose by raising the ‘set point’ back up to where it was prior to starting 5:2! I’m aware that continuing with IF is an essential component of maintaining desired ‘set point’ weight range.

I visited a neighbor who had been one of my earliest 5:2 inspirations. I remember being in awe of how healthy and radiant this woman and her husband both looked back when I suddenly ran into them at the supermarket in 2013! I complimented them on how amazing they looked and they then shared that they’d been avidly practicing 5:2 for a good 8 months. They admitted how good they felt and that the program made so much sense. To me this was visible proof that what Dr. M showed on ‘Eat Fast and Live Longer’ earlier in the year, really worked and I really wanted to try it too, but health issues and medication contraindicated prevented me back then. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago (I hadn’t seen this neighbor since that supermarket chance meeting in 2013!) when I knocked on the neighbor’s door to finally thank her for being a 5:2 inspiration. Was I surprised to be greeted by a much larger sized woman than expected. As always she was good hearted, though the healthy radiance that I’d noted in the supermarket just wasn’t there. I felt awkward asking if she had continued with 5:2 in any capacity, so instead simply mentioned that I’d been practicing 5:2 for over a year and that she’d been an inspiration for me to give it a ‘go’. Just saying this was as if I’d jogged her memory and she recollected, ‘Oh yeah 5:2!’ as if it had completely slipped out of her consciousness! She went on with, ‘I’ll have to get back to that!’ …Oh I hope I wont’ ever ‘have to get back to 5:2’! …Here’s to hoping I’ll be able to follow in your footsteps Thin (if you are reading this), and that I will keep, keeping on so that somewhere in the future, I don’t have to go through all I did, over again, to get back to where I am now! I even wonder what the statistics are of success second time around? …Or if it is more difficult? …Let alone how I might feel in between ‘getting back’, once again the travail of a more cumbersome body, aches and pains from greater stress on joints, loss of confidence and self esteem, etc.

Now it is this forum that continues to be my inspiration! …And as essential to my success as the eating of 500 or less on FDs!

Okay, back to my assignments! I’ve got another big deadline to meet this week! Here’s to me eating as I described above in my previous post!

Good afternoon all. Have come inside for the afternoon after spending all morning watering the front and back gardens from the rainwater tanks. Another beautiful day but has come up windy now. I might do some sewing this arvo and make sweet potato soup for tea.

I recently moved my vegie beds closer to the house too. They were in the spare block and i was sick of dragging hoses across 1/2 acre to water so I now have smaller beds closer to the house and rainwater tanks.

I havent been a ‘mover’ either. Mum is still living in the same house her and dad moved into in 1958. Ive moved 3 times and the 2nd move was only for 6 months while i was renting while inbetween selling my first house and buying another.

Minka I haven’t seriously started keto yet as have been too tied up with study but it is still on my radar. Actually I think I’m dreading giving up (or cutting back to absolute minimum) rye bread and white potatoes for keto !

Minka, I understand completely how study and snacking go together. I did 10 tears of university study (most of it while working full time) and I gained weight in every single one of those years.

GDSA, I admire your energy. Sewing after spending the morning in the garden. I’ve just spent 2 hours spreading pea straw and I feel absolutely shattered – definitely not up to sewing. Sorry to hear you are already having to water the garden. I’m still getting enough rain here that I don’t have to start watering yet.

I was planning to spread 3 bales of pea straw over the garden beds this afternoon, but I managed to do two before my stamina ran out. I really should be doing some housework this afternoon, but I don’t have the energy for that either. I think I might indulge in a bit of reading.

LJoyce. I envy you those raised beds. With one exception mine are square open spaces, raised only in the sense that I have been making compost for 15 years and digging it in. The exception is terraced with a stone retaining wall. This is an old village, under the church are the remains of a Roman temple. There was a small castle, but Oliver Cromwell’s boys knocked it down. Our house was an old stone farm outbuilding for a couple of hundred years and we are it’s first human occupants. When I started the garden from scratch I dug up lots of rectangular medieval stone blocks which were probably part of the castle and built the terraced veg patch with those. In that patch I grow my asparagus, although I have dug up one row because I was producing more that I could give away. The next move is to put in more sitting areas and a pond. I have some water plants that have been living in half a barrel since we came from our last house..

Penguin:-
    Building medieval stone walls for the garden sound a bit fancier than what I did for my raised veggie beds. Making raised beds was a necessity, because I’d had rheumatoid arthritis for about a year when I moved into my current house. I didn’t know how the disease might limit me in the future, so I was trying to future-proof my veggie garden. These days there are raised beds made from corrugated colourbond (powder coated iron) readily available in Australia. They come in all shapes, sizes and colours: https://www.stratco.com.au/products/home-improvement/stratco-garden-beds/ These structures have no top or bottom so they are open to the soil below. They are quite light weight to move – an excellent product.
    Back when I did my beds these didn’t exist unfortunately. Most people who wanted raised beds back then built them from bricks or sleepers. I didn’t feel able enough to manage that, so I bought several perma-pine sandpit kits. These were made from split treated pine logs that were 3 logs high (about 40cm). They came in 1 or 2 metre square kits. The sides were ready assembled and you just had to join the corners with a few screws. I wanted rectangular beds, so I bought 3 of the large and 3 of the small and mixed them up so I had 6 beds 2m x 1m. I was worried about the chemicals in the pine leaching into my organic veggies, so I wrapped the inside walls in a double layer of thick black plastic before filling with soil. Because I was placing these onto an existing patch of lawn I also had to put a thick layer of newspaper down under each bed to suffocate the grass. Then I had a truckload of compost delivered and carted seemingly endless barrow loads up the hill to fill them up. I tried to do a lot of companion planting – some of which worked to deter pests. I grew a green crop in most of the beds each winter – usually broad beans. I know a green crop should be dug in before harvesting, but I wasn’t about to waste all those lovely broad beans so I usually waited until I’d had about a month of harvesting before digging it in. I really earned those first few harvests.
    In 2003 Adelaide’s water supply became a bit perilous so there were very tight water restrictions imposed – that are still in place. It made it even more challenging to keep growing my own veg but I kept going for a few years before eventually dismantling the beds and returning the area to lawn. By then the neighbours’ trees were shading the beds too much for crops to grow well.
    I kept just 2 of the “sandpits” and moved them onto a concrete area near the house where it was easier to water and closer for just dashing out to grab a handful of something while preparing dinner. I’m fairly selective about what I grow these days and focus on herbs and leafy greens. I always grow cherry tomatoes, snow peas and patty pan golden squash in spring-summer.
    When I move I plan to have just a courtyard garden, but I’m hoping to have enough room to have a retaining wall around the edge of the property with a raised garden bed behind. Although it will be mainly decorative plants I do intend to tuck a few herbs an veg amongst the ornamentals.

Penguin – I hope the asparagus that you dug up stayed gone. I found that it was pretty persistent. No matter how hard I tried to dig it all up there would be enough roots left to resprout – very hardy plant.

Hey GDSA, with goal weight in such reach, maybe rye bread is harmonious to your goals? I know some follow keto for health reasons rather than slimming… yes study! I’m giving us both pats on back for continuing with both 5:2 and studying!

LJ, interesting that you too have found weight management easier when not studying. I’m hoping that I’ll have far fewer stress triggers once I’ve earned my diploma!

Also, LJ, I’ve been thinking of you today, since I realized that besides focusing on enjoyment of food, like I wrote about above, I realized I could take a page out of your book and benefit from seeing how many calories I consume in an average day and what my TDEE looks like on a plate (never done that before, only calculate cals on FDs). I’d remembered awhile back you calculated Thin’s daily caloric intake and I’d always wanted to do the same for myself but have had a mental block about having to weigh everything! Anyway, today I thought for fun to weigh everything before eating and then tracking in myfitnesspal. The exercise has been invaluable, since as I tracked, a constant concern in background that I’m eating more than my body metabolically requires, evaporated as I saw how few calories I was eating through the day (even though in my mind I’d thought it was a lot)! It wasn’t till dinner that I was unpleasantly surprised when I saw the 45 grams of raw walnuts I sprinkled on my dinner salad added 300 calories to the plate! The whole salad came in at a whopping 847 calories which also surprised me and my total caloric intake for the day burgeoned to 1557 or 169 calories over my 1388 TDEE. That’s okay. It was a delicious salad! Now I’m getting a sense of portion size and can experiment with tweaking a few things.

Minka, I had the same dilemma at dinner. I made my favourite roasted cauli salad. A key flavour ingredient is toasted pine nuts – the more I add the better it tastes. At almost 3000kj per 100grams I limited myself to 30g (210calories). I definitely couldn’t have this as a FD meal unless I reduced the pine nuts to no more than 10g.
    I love nuts but I’m always horrified by just how many calories they contain – must be why they taste so good.

LJoyce. Most of the raised beds around here are made with railway sleepers. I didn’t do it because my veg patch slopes, but my soil level is now above the grass because of all the compost I have dug in, so I’m thinking of some retaining walls at the lower end. When I took out the Asparagus I put in potatoes. I have just finished digging those and I am pretty sure the asparagus has gone. I gave away about half of the potatoes, but it is not one-way traffic. One of the neighbours waters the greenhouse when I am away and the other has a horse; the manure is always welcome.

We don’t have a water problem. They do in the summer in the east of the country but I am 650 feet up a steep hill and 11 miles from the Bristol Channel. The weather systems coming off the Atlantic funnel up the Channel so I get plenty of rain, which fills the multiple water butts on my greenhouse and sheds. If I want to use mains water there is seldom any restriction – our reservoirs are in the hills of Wales.

Minka, thank you so much for your post this morning. Your story about your neighbors and how they looked on the 5:2, and then your visit to thank her a few years later and finding her heavy again was the inspiration I needed. I’ve had a rocky couple of weeks with a plateau in the 62’s (and now low 63’s) and my 5:2 motivation has been waning. Friday and yesterday I ate too much, not really anything unhealthy but just too much of what I did eat. But your words put me back on track again. I don’t want to be the fat neighbor who gave up the healthy looking body for a heavy one.

After attending my 50 year high school reunion a few weeks ago, I saw firsthand what weight does to a person in terms of aging. The thin people looked a lot younger than the heavy ones did. Some of the heavy ones were unrecognizable. Thank goodness for name tags! And I can see what weight does to people’s knees and just their ability to get around. I need to stay focused.

I guess some of the reason for overeating is anxiety. The last couple weeks the world news has been very worrisome, and although I know there’s nothing I can do about it, the low level of anxiety is always there, even when I’m doing other things.

LJoyce, your raised bed project from years back is the same problem I’d have here, and it’s what keeps me from putting them in the back grass area. The only way to get dirt up there would be to haul it up the hill (about 2 meters in places) with a wheel barrow which would be difficult since there is only one pathway due to stone steps and trees and such in the way. It would be a huge job. Lots of challenges living on a hill, even though there’s a flatish area up the steps. Penguin, building a wall from medieval stones sounds just amazing. This last winter we got plenty of rain, but the 4 – 5 years before that were a drought where we had pretty severe watering restrictions. It typically doesn’t rain at all between mid-May and Mid-September. It’s really around November or December before we get much. And there’s no reason to think the drought conditions won’t happen again in the future. We use an automated drip watering system (which we’re constantly repairing because of clogged drippers or new plantings) with just a few sprinklers on the hill in front. GDAY, how does a water tank work? Is it very large?

Good morning, it is Monday here and I am finally feeling a bit like my normal self! Hope it lasts!

I have been glad to read posts: loved to hear about the gardening and the leather jacket, the medieval stones, the study and the weight successes.

Minka I related very much to what you wrote about being ‘present’ while eating: ‘eat when I eat’. I was very aware when I was young and binge-eating that I could eat a chocolate eclair for example and yet not feel like I had eaten it, and just want another one. So mindful eating has long been a goal of mine.
    But now that the amount I eat in a day is a lot smaller than it used to be, if I eat without appreciating it, I completely miss the opportunity of enjoying my food! I need to make sure I am making the most of this pleasure we have every day, of eating some delicious food.

Cali, good luck dealing with that anxiety, and keeping on track for your longterm health. There are so many scary and dreadful things happening in the world that it breaks my heart, and at the moment things may be ramping up. Fingers crossed they don’t. The only consolation I can find is in the small things: the kindnesses we can do in our community, the pleasure in the support and sharing in places like this forum. So thankyou everyone.

I live in a little brick veneer flat and not well enough to do much gardening, but I do have a couple of compost bins and a small garden that started in pots sitting on white pebbles that sat on black plastic. Now the soil has built up so much I am planting between pots and my garden (maybe 3 metres square) is a riot of herbs and greens. Luckily the weather has been kind the last couple of weeks as I have done nothing!

Well I have been drinking my lovely morning cups of tea as I have been writing. I was off tea for a couple of weeks so it is such a treat to be enjoying it again! Off to have a day of mindful eating.

Best wishes everyone!

I suspect that the discussion about being mindful or present when eating hit home for many of us – it certainly did for me. I remember behaving the way Cinque described with the eclair – the first of anything I ate I barely tasted and would always want one or two more. The only way I can stop that is to focus on tasting and enjoying every mouthful. But the trouble with recently learned behaviours is that they don’t come naturally and our old behavioural patterns keep trying to re-emerge. So having reminders to pay attention to this is a very good thing.

Cinque – when your cup of tea tastes better it usually means you are getting better. I think some viruses mess with our taste buds. I think once I move I’ll probably have about the same amount of planting space as you currently have. But I’m OK with that and don’t mind using pots. I want to do some travel and trouble with a large garden is that it’s hard to leave it unattended.

Cali – Rainwater tanks are a part of virtually every Aussie house. Our building regulations require every house to have gutters around the roof and downpipes to safely take the water away from the house. Most people have a tank that those downpipes empty into. It’s now also a requirement in the building regs that every new house has a rainwater tank. Where I grew up we had no access to treated water that was safe for drinking, our rainwater tanks were the our only safe source. The old fashioned tanks were usually made from corrugated iron, sometimes cement lined. These days there made from moulded plastic and come in many shapes and sizes.
    The old fashioned ones:
    https://www.google.com.au/search?client=firefox-b&biw=1366&bih=635&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=rust+corrugated+rain+water+tank&oq=rust+corrugated+rain+water+tank&gs_l=psy-ab.3…145830.158276.0.160476.33.30.0.0.0.0.501.4966.0j1j8j7j0j1.17.0….0…1.1.64.psy-ab..16.9.2273…0j0i67k1j0i24k1j0i13k1.3KUgJ6-SL2o#imgrc=ZvVcZ-aVOz7mOM:
    The range available these days: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=rain+water+tank+images&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjas4X6x9XVAhUJS7wKHSduDlkQ7AkIMg&biw=1366&bih=635

Well I better get going – doctor’s appointment. Have a good day everyone.

Hi all.
    CalifDream I have 30,000 litres of rainwater storage tanks being 6 tanks at 5,000 litres each. 5 run off the house and verandah roofs and 1 from the shed which is where I’ve built the new chook/duck yard so I dont have to cart water. The house tanks have 19mm hose fittings so I dont need to use a pressure pump as the water flows out quite quickly from the larger size hose. The downside is having to lug 40 metres of heavy hose around to water.
    Water is expensive in SA so I keep my mains usage to a minimal. The total cost of my mains water bill per quarter is 1/4 water usage and 3/4 supply charge which annoys me to no end especially as we have no mains sewerage here so I have to pay a pumping service every 2 years to have the pit pumped out….Grrrr

GDSA – we seem to have a bit of a theme here. The biggest component of my water bill is also sewer access, to which I am not connected – I also get a bit pissed off every time the quarterly bill arrives. I also have a septic tank that has to be pumped out every few years. My block doesn’t have a street frontage, I’m up the hill behind another property and we share a driveway. It’s a long way from my house to the road so when I looked into being connected to the sewer it was going to cost thousands. So I decided to stick with the septic. Some people have an issue with them, but I grew up with one so it feels pretty normal to me.

Its the same here – my sewerage costs me more than my water supply, even though I get a special discount because the rain water doesn’t go into the drains.

I feel pretty cranky with myself right now. It’s a NFD but I ate with care an control all day – until about 30 minutes ago. In less than half an hour I managed to eat a whole lot of extra calories. Despite a large bowl of bouillabaisse for dinner, I felt like dessert. So I cut up a kiwifruit, added some strawberries and poured kefir over it. Lovely, but it didn’t stop the craving for dessert. I then proceeded to eat a generous handful of almonds and the same of sultanas and then a heaped dessertspoon of crunchy peanut butter. None of these are bad foods but it’s a very calorie intense hit that I barely tasted as it went down.
    Why do I keep doing these things to myself?

Hi again!

I’m glad the post about my neighbor and mindful/conscious eating was helpful! One of the exercises in the book I’m reading is about choosing a small bit of food like 1 almond or a slice of kiwi fruit or a thumbnail sized square of dark chocolate and smelling, tasting, feeling how it is on the tongue, texture while chewing etc. and taking 10 minutes to eat that one morsel. I’ve yet to do that exercise!

One reason that not so many households in California have rain water tanks, at least in Southern California where I grew up, is because of all the tar shingled roofs that are so common. We had a tar shingle in the house I grew up in and the last time I looked, several years ago, the roof was still tar shingles, so any water captured from that roof wouldn’t really be fit to drink, though maybe would be suitable for toilets. I’m not sure I’d want to water my vegetable garden with it!

Minka, there may be some roofs around here where they use tar underneath th shingles to seal parts where the roof are joined but I’m not sure. Our roof is concrete tiles that are laid in place and connect on the edges I think. I will have to do some research on that. But the water should still be ok for the garden, shouldn’t it? They used to use tar in road repairs (not sure if they still do) Water tanks tanks seem like a good idea to me, at least in California where it is so dry. Our water bills are around $125 per month and the largest part of that is sewer charges too. I guess sewer charges aren’t unique to California! Ours are recalculated yearly, based on water usage somewhere between Nov and Feb depending on your address.

It sounds like the filtering in the water tanks purify the water enough for drinking? How often do the filters have to be changed?

They do sell them here according to an internet search, but I’ve never seen them advertised or knew anyone who had one. Maybe it is the roofing material thing that Minka mentioned. What do they use for roofing to secure the roofing materials and make the roof waterproof? We do have downspouts and raingutters on all the houses, but they just empty on the ground, away from the house.

Being mindful of eating is something I need to remember too. On FD I am usually more mindful of My food and I think I enjoy it more, probably because of the scarcity of it! Concentrating on one morsel would be a good exercise. But maybe 5 minutes would be more reasonable.

Re rainbarrels: They are at least on some people’s radar here: http://www.mercurynews.com/2014/02/03/california-drought-a-run-on-rain-barrels/

I have to do more research on this. Interesting. But have to get back to work now.

Good morning everyone,
    LJoyce, I hope you managed to stop your eat-fest after your post.
    Hooray for fast days to balance out those times of overeating.
    I read your post last night but I was too tired to write, but I was feeling very much the same. The last two evenings I cooked a lovely healthy stirfry for my evening meal, but both times I made more than I needed but still ate it all up. last night I carefully put a sensible portion in my bowl, but then went and ate the left overs. My tummy is still painfully full. So today will be a fast day, my first for a long time. And then what can we do but keep practicing these new habits that we want to become ingrained? Even if they never do, we will be allright, so long as we keep doing the best we can. that is the difference 5:2 makes.

Note, the Eat Fast Live Longer documentary is being repeated on SBS this Thursday at 8:35, I like seeing it again.

My computer is being clunky so I am doing a second post!

I had a bit of a strange email correspondence with a friend who is on a local Neighbourhood House Board of Management. She was saying how they wanted more events on their open day festival where the theme is Health and Wellbeing, and I said, you know I could run an information session on 5:2. I was thinking that I had a pretty good perspective with my own experience and from all the input on the forum, and I am a teacher and community development worker, so I would be careful about giving good information and not proselytising. I thought there might be local people interested to find out more about 5:2, or who are doing it and would like to meet others doing it.

It was just a suggestion, but my friend looked shocked and later wrote to me with a link to an article about not dieting and spoke about how dangerous she thought it was for people not to eat, and how it sets off lifelong binge eating and that many people put on weight with 5:2 because they binge eat on non fast days. She said she never let her daughters do the 40 hour famine, and also talked about her history of battling low weight because she had heart problems.

I really appreciated that she did want to talk about it, but I also wanted to keep my reply clear and short, so I clarified my aims as I wrote them above and assured her that, while 5:2 mightn’t work for everyone it does have some good research and good support from health professionals. And I also said I understood that Neighbourhood House mightn’t want to have a 5:2 talk there.

But what really floored me is that she wrote back saying that they wouldn’t want to allow something like 5:2 there, just as they don’t let the naturopaths give info on anti-vaccinations! ie that eating lightly a couple of days is in the same category as refusing to vaccinate your children!

She also said other things that made me realise she is really frightened about it, and sees it as a fad diet (which is hard to argue against as not enough long term research is in, and lots of people manage to turn it into a fad diet).

So, I have had my debrief I hope. Interested to hear what you think.

Off to enjoy a nice fast day. Best wishes all.

PS Minka, I enjoyed that link you put up on the science thread.

Cinque, that woman sounds very closed minded and in denial about the problem of obesity. Maybe she doesn’t realize that 63.4 per cent of the adult population in Australia are now overweight or obese. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/australias-weight-epidemic-112m-overweight-or-obese-report/news-story/dff3883181af5338f0165d8ea0feda3a
    (The U.S. has 68.8%)

Does she have scientific studies to show that the 5:2 sets off binge eating? I doubt it. Losing weight on low calorie diets is difficult, but the 5:2 is pretty unique in that most people, at least on this forum, report feeling less hungry after a fast day.

You would be the perfect person to present a talk about the 5:2. You’ve lost weight on it, maintained that weight and your teaching and community development background gives you a unique perspective. I can tell from your posting here that you’re very methodical and always looking at different research on the subject. You’re also very positive, exactly what people embarking on weight loss need to get started.

Does she dislike weight loss in general or it’s just the 5:2? Does she realize that fasting actually involves 500 calories? Doesn’t she know that people are already bingeing and they don’t need a diet to show them that? I’d like to see her article.

@5 Amazing what 60 years of propaganda and misinformation about what constitutes “healthy eating” can do. You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink. You offered, cant do more than that.

Thanks so much for your responses LJoyce and BigBooty, and for that lovely support.
    My friend said about obesity: “I can’t help but think that if dieting was matched to a person’s genotype, there wouldn’t be an obesity epidemic.” Not quite sure what she means.
    This is the article she asked me to read: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellbeing/nutrition/in-the-antidieting-age-what-are-we-supposed-to-eat-20170808-gxrn3r.html?btis

I know when friends of mine have got really into the latest ‘thing’ I have been skeptical and I know fasting is very much the latest ‘thing’ with lots of guru type leaders, and I am even critical of Dr Mosley’s populist reporting (even though I love doctors and scientists to communicate in an accessible way). I am a contradiction!
    We have swapped emails again this morning and I think we are just agreeing that we have different judgements about 5:2 and will wait and see how more research shows its worth or not.

Hi all, FD for me. This isn’t a reaction to last night’s little flurry of uncontrolled eating, but was planned.

Cinque, I think agreeing to disagree is the best outcome of that situation. I think trying to change someones opinion only works if they have already taken the first step and opened their mind to the possibility that their thinking might be wrong.

Cali, I’ve never seen a tar roof. In Australia they are either corrugated iron/colourbond or they are concrete/terracotta tiles – there are very few exceptions. I think catching and using the rainwater was quickly recognised as a necessity here in the early days of white settlement. If you weren’t near a river then water was scarce and rainfall low compared to the European climate these people were used to. These days, as I mentioned, building regs require a rainwater tank to be installed with all new construction, and all roof gutters must empty into it. That rainwater tank is actually not for drinking but has to be plumbed into the house to provide water for use in things like flushing the toilet. (I’m just wondering whether building regs are state based? If so, these rules may only apply to South Australia.) When strict water use restrictions were imposed in South Australia about 14 years ago a lot of people who didn’t have rain water tanks bought one so they could keep their gardens alive. Other people tried to sink bores into the underground water table.
    Traditional rainwater tanks didn’t have a filter and anything that was on your roof would get washed into your rainwater supply. People outside of the towns, who had no other drinking water options, drank it anyway. I think there wasn’t much awareness of microscopic bugs and the effects of chemical residues from agricultural spays etc back then. It wasn’t until the 1970s that my father installed a filter to remove impurities from the rainwater before it emerged from our taps. Even then, the filter he was using looked like thick coffee filter paper and removed the visible dirt but I don’t think it did much to remove anything that was microscopic.
    I still use rainwater for drinking as I can’t stand the taste of Adelaide’s water supply – to me it has a strong chemical taste. I have a counter top ceramic filter that removes bacteria and chemicals (this unit holds 10 litres and the filter has to be changed annually). Not sure if I’ve mentioned this before, but when I bought my house, mains water wasn’t connected, the house ran entirely on rainwater – but the system relied on gravity feed which isn’t adequate pressure for modern appliances like dishwashers and washing machines. I either had to invest in a whole new pumping system and probably new pipes or install mains. When I changed the plumbing to my house to install a mains water supply I added an extra tap in the laundry for rainwater. So this is where I keep the filter unit as well. My laundry is right next to my kitchen, so going into the laundry to fill up the kettle or a saucepan or the water jugs is not inconvenient.

Minka, I really like the idea of that exercise you described. When confronted with something I really like I’ve usually scoffed at least half before even appreciating the taste – it’s only near then end that I “stop to smell the roses” and actually appreciate the flavour, aroma and texture. On a bad day, it’s not until I get to the second helping that this happens.
    I did work through an activity that was a bit similar with my dietitian earlier in the year. On my last birthday (February) I went to a dessert cafe for supper and tried to put it into practice. I chose for quality not quantity and savoured every mouthful slowly. I didn’t finish what I ordered because by the time I was half way through, the flavour had gone from amazing to “just another mouthful”.
    The crazy thing is, that even though I’ve known for months that this approach works, I still don’t do it. I’m wondering if I try to practice it once a day with one thing, then it might be more accessible as a tool when I need it.

My days of gardening in sunshine are over for a while and the high winds and rain have returned and look like settling in until at least Saturday. It was nice while it lasted. What it showed me is how important fine weather is to me being active. If it’s wet I stay indoors and spend most of the day sitting. When it’s fine I really want to be out in the garden or walking.

Hope you all have a good day, fasting or otherwise.

LJoyce oops on that little overeating moment. I have another reason to dislike SA Water. My house was one of the first in the neighborhood and therefore has an indirect water connection meaning my meter is located at the far end of my street rather than on my block of land. When development occured around me they ran underground water pipes past my house to run water to the new houses and i had to pay a water pipe fee of just under $3,000.00 for the privilege. Another grrrr from me.

Went to lunch today with a friend so definately not a FD for me but thinking of those who are fasting today.

Maybe she means that there are certain foods that a person should eat that are associated with their genetics? Other than that Im not sure. I think Dr M did people a disservice saying that you could eat what you always have, just eat less for two days. You see it all the time on this forum from newcomers looking for a magical bullet. If you continue to eat crap your chances of long lasting success are slim (pun intended).

Dr Libby? Never heard of her but apparently she is famous and has books on healthy eating and bio supplements. Im of the opinion that anyone that tries to sell you pills is not 100% genuine. Unless you have a medical condition of some sort eating healthy should suffice and there is no need for supplements.

Cinque, I read that article you linked. It seems to say that you should listen to your body which will tell you what it needs and what to eat. Isn’t that what got most of us into trouble to begin with. My body really wants ice cream. And potato chips. It really really does! And it doesn’t want just a few of them, it wants a lot! No, a lower fat non-sugar substitute isn’t what it wants. It wants the real thing. Or maybe it’s my brain that really wants it. Unfortunately it’s attached to my body. And my mouth! Will my tastes change over time and I will no longer desire those foods? Fat chance! I’ve been around long enough and dieted long enough to know better. I may learn alternative ways of eating (like the 5:2) but there’s a difference between what my body wants and what I know I should eat.

That’s not to say my body doesn’t feel better when I’m thin, it does. My knees don’t hurt when I go up there stairs and I feel more alert, no sugar brain fog. I love that my clothes fit better and I can get into my skinny jeans. But when my body/brain sees ice cream and potato chips? Screw the skinny jeans, bring on the chips!

I think there are fat souls and thin souls in the world. My DH is a thin soul. He eats a single slice of that cake that’s sitting on the kitchen counter and will have a single slice every night after dinner each night until it’s gone. That is, if that cake ever made it through the first day sitting there. Fat chance! I am not a thin soul! I don’t believe my “soul” will change. I will adapt. But I will always have to have a plan. The 5:2 is the best plan I’ve come across so far. It works for me. It’s sustainable.

GDSA – my water meter isn’t on my land either, because I don’t have a street frontage, it’s actually on my front neighbour’s property. I asked about moving it up onto mine, but SA Water refused because they won’t cross one property to get to another to read a meter. When the water pipes from the meter up to my place needed to be replaced with something that wouldn’t burst every time we had frosty weather, it was quite expensive because of the length of trench that had to be dug.

Cali – Unfortunately my mind is wired the same way. One little slice of cake per night until it’s gone? Not going to happen – 1 slice per hour until it’s gone is probably closer to the mark for me. It’s one of those things that makes me appreciate the advantages of living alone – I don’t have to have the cake in the house in the first place. When I bake it’s because someone is visiting and I have one slice and send all the leftovers home with them – or I take the baking with me when visiting and come home without it.

Biigbooty – I agree with your comment that Dr M did people a disservice saying that you could eat what you always have. That may be true for those who were barely overweight to start with but for those of us who have battled with obesity for years it’s not good advice. When you read the “Fast Diet” book it’s easy to see how they got that wrong. When Michel Mosley started 5:2 his BMI was barely in the overweight range and Mimi Spencer wasn’t overweight at all (and never had been) and was already in the lower half of the healthy BMI range. Neither of them had any personal experience of obesity. Their advice was appropriate for people like themselves. People who wanted to be healthier and had perhaps wanted to lose a few pounds that had crept on with middle age. I don’t think they even thought about how it would be interpreted by people who know what it’s like to weight double or triple their “healthy” BMI. I actually don’t think anyone without personal experience of this does truly understand.
    However, in fairness I should point out that Dr M has changed his mind. As research has shown benefits of a mediterranean diet Dr M is now recommending we should eat that every day, fasting or not. He’s behaving like a scientists – changing his thinking as new evidence emerges.

Good afternoon everyone,
    Off work early due to the rain arriving earlier than expected and thought I better pop in a post.
    FD for me today and loving it. It feels a bit long between FD’s sometimes, doing Tuesday’s and Thursday’s.
    I lived with just rainwater tanks for 4 years though the worst drought in decades. Lake Hume was at 3% capacity, we bought water three times over 2 years. It cost $260 for 20000 litres $240 for delivery and $20 for the water and every time you bought water it rained within a week. We had 60000 litre capacity and our usage for two adults and two young kids was 600 litres per day. It would probably be 800 litres per day now as the kids are older and think they need more cleaning so have longer showers. It wasn’t hard, the drinking water was just a 10 litre carbon filter unit on the bench you would top up a couple of times a day and the best bit was NO BILLS.
    Cinque it is hard to understand why people don’t get it. I have told other friends what I am doing and they just say I couldn’t not eat all day. Each to their own. As the people running the neighbourhood thing can choose what they want in their festival it is just unlucky with your friend’s assumptions on 5:2. If you were running an information night of your own in a council room or hall you had acquired then that response would be very wrong due to free speech.
    Alright secrets time, The change I made as I mentioned at the start of August was to give up beer for a month to see what happens. Two weeks in and the downward trend has started again going by the scales hitting 107kg which is 20kg gone since starting this WOL. I love milestones. The no beer thing is OK living on soda water at the moment and I have found it to have the same effect as in satisfying after a hard day and you get that ‘ahhh’ and relax so I may keep it up during the week after August.
    Meals for days:
    2 x white coffee’s 300kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 100g kidney beans 400kj and 150g mushrooms 175kj Total 1675kj or 400cals.
    *The above amounts are my average FD. I am never over these amounts but may be under when I forget to buy mushrooms or kidney beans.

Joffy, well done on the 20kg milestone. That’s an impressive loss and I really hope you feel better for it.
    Giving up beer, if it’s been a part of regular life, is also a pretty major decision. Are you planning to just do one month or do you think it will lead to permanent changes to you choice of drinks after a hard day of work?
    Sounds like quite a few of us are fasting today too so you aren’t alone with your minestrone.

Joffy. Speak it softly, because I don’t think anyone has noticed, but I am not drinking whiskey. With no other change, the weight trend is gently down.

Cinque. That is a fairly extreme example of a standard response. Over the last couple of years a number of people seeing me for the first time in ages have commented that I look fit and healthy. When told why, the usual responses are “Thats unhealthy”, “You have to eat three meals a day” “I couldn’t do that, I need the blood sugar” “I never saw you as one of those weirdos”. The most extreme criticism came from the diabetic retired nursing sister who told me that she couldn’t lose weight, nothing works for her, whilst piling extra cream onto her second helping of trifle.

On the morning TV news there was about a minute on the “Fat but fit” possibility – pictures of two British Sumo wrestlers claiming to be healthy, thirty seconds of a medical talking head saying that two British universities have just discovered that being obese, even if otherwise fit, increases your chance of a heart attack. Then on to item about a plastic whale touring UK to highlight our profligate use of plastic, which got longer coverage because it was a plastic whale. This was on the channel that considers itself the serious, sensible operator. Given that kind of coverage it is hardly surprising that there are some false images out there.

First, apologies Cali and LJoyce for getting your names mixed up. So good of you to just let it pass.

Second, Penguin, you made me laugh so much at the news stories. And they say humans are the intelligent animals!

Thanks for all the stories of other people who don’t get it. That is the way of it!

Big Booty your possible explanation of a genotype diet was the only one I could think of. I have a feeling that the DNA of our gut biome might be more important than our own DNA.

NO! I just looked it up, it is that diet that says different blood types need different diets. Hmm, that is one I am very skeptical of!

I think it was pretty soon after people started seeing 5:2 as a weight loss technique (rather than a longterm health technique) that the issue of what is eaten on Non Fast days became an issue, just as you outline LJoyce, and hence all the info about working out our BMI and TDEE etc.

I read a couple of the anti dieting books that encouraged listening to your body, and mindful eating. This was years ago. The argument was that if you wanted trifle and then ate as much of it as you wanted, for as long as you wanted, you would get over it and before long would be longing for healthy food. It made sense to me but didn’t work, I think because of those messages sugar sends to the brain, and the gut biome with its role in those messages.

I think a lot of our socialising can be addressed by being kind to ourselves rather than beating ourselves up (she says, just about recovered from eating too much dinner last night!) but there are those strong physical brain messages that stuff up normal hunger signals and no sugar and 5:2 are the only things I have found to help with them.

Joffy congrats on your latest successes! 20kg is a big amount not to be carrying around all the time! I am so glad you have made cutting out beer work for you. It makes looking after your health so much easier.
    (and, just quietly, congrats re the whiskey too Penguin).

I’ve had a really pleasurable fast day and enjoyed my miso soup SO much.
    Looking forward to a sensible delicious normal eating day tomorrow!

Good morning Penguin. It looks like giving up alcohol is helping your weight as well.
    I’m not surprised that a plastic whale was considered important. I find most morning news programming a bit “fluffy” for my liking. I have quite an interest in news and world affairs and my morning luxury since I retired is to browse the foreign broadcasts over my morning pot of tea. We have a publicly funded channel in Oz called SBS which provides a lot of foreign language programming. From 5-7:30am they have news in English from various countries (China, Japan, Germany, France, Quatar and Britain). The broadcasts vary from 15-30 minutes. I am never up out of choice at that hour of the morning so I record it and watch it at leisure – and fast forward through the repetition or boring bits. I find it interesting to see what each country focuses on and how they interpret world events. For example, the current tension between North Korea and the US has been the lead story for the last 5 days on the Japanese news, but it’s been burried in the Chinese news – usually the third item. The Chinese story is focused on the need for dialogue.

Congratulations Joffy and yes I think giving up beer was a good decision. Maybe after a month you may not feel like it anymore and stick with soda water. Im sure my weight would be going up and down rather than remaining steady if I still consumed 2 glasses of red each evening. If I feel like a treat I just add a dash of bitters to my soda water to give it an extra zing.

Way over my usual calorie intake today – currently hovering around 1800 and my belly feels it too. My lunch friend couldn’t stop commenting on my weight loss and how healthy I looked which was really nice.

My favourite elastic waisted leggings are now too baggy around the waist – not sure if I’m happy or sad about that but it’s a good indicator of weight loss.

Just watching the news LJoyce and see you have a lot of rain in your neck of the woods. Supposed to have a downpour here around 9pm but will believe it when I see it.

Pick up our pushbikes on Thursday so a bike ride is on the cards this weekend. Another bonus with my weight loss is I’ve had no pain at all in my left knee for several months now. For the newbies I sustained a stress fracture about 7 years ago and I’ve had to be very careful with it ever since. So here’s hoping bike riding won’t be a problem.

LJoyce. The only foreign channels I can get here are Al Jazeera and Russia Today. I know that half of the world is trying to close down Al Jazeera, but their English language transmissions give me better world news coverage than the BBC. ITV or Sky. I learned that there were major fires on Madeira that had got into the capital city and were killing people from Al J – no mention on any British channel until holiday flights were delayed. Russia Today I seldom watch – the propaganda is too unsubtle and the station seems to be staffed by Americans who hate America. I have pretty much stopped reading Newspapers – we have right and left wing newspapers and no neutrals. You know if they will support the government or oppose it before you buy the paper and most of the other news seems to be about celebrities I have never heard of. If I want any kind of sensible, in depth coverage and reporters who ask our leaders difficult questions, I have to listen to early morning radio, and even then the programmes are increasingly about the personality of the interviewer.

This is getting worrying. Not only do I see my Father in the mirror when I shave, I am beginning to sound like him.

G’day Southern Hemispherites. Melbourne here! I’m a big fan of MM and watched the show a long time ago. I have had the book sitting on my shelf for years and have only just picked it up and started reading today. I’ve struggled with my weight most of my life, needing to seriously take control of that and my health so I’ll be giving this a good go! I won’t be starting until I have fully read and understood what’s involved. I jumped at the chance to register and join the Forums as I found in the past that sharing with like minded people is a fantastic motivator and that’s what has been seriously lacking of late! Looking forward to conversing with you all 😊

Hi Frangipani71, welcome. I’m in Adelaide.

We are a mixed bag of people (mainly Aussies), some are still on their weight loss journey with 5:2 and some have lost what they want to and are still following it as a way of life to maintain that new weight. We do tend to get a bit off track with our conversations, but if you have 5:2 question just ask.

You aren’t alone in having a lifelong weight problem there are a few of us here who have also the same history.

I do agree that reading the book is a good place to start. I’d also recommend you have a good read through this website, especially the links at the top of this page for “Why Fast?”, “How it Works” and “FAQ”.

Thank you for the advice LJoyce. I’m all for reading and getting as much info as I can to fully understand all about this before jumping in! So far I’m liking what I’m reading 😉

Welcome to the forums, Frangipani71. I’ve been here since discovering the 5:2 way of eating in Mid May. The members here have been very helpful with questions and answers and are the motivation to keep going when things get tough. I still have about 10 pounds to go, but expect I’ll be following the 5:2 for maintenance after that. I’m in the U.S. but snuck into this thread behind a jar of Vegemite and have it my home since.

LJoyce, thank you for the info on the water tanks. I’m doing some more research here to see if putting one in would be affordable and if the rain in the winter would be enough to make it worthwhile. It doesn’t usually rain at all in the summer.

Jiffy, congrats on giving up the beer and penguin for (softly) giving up the whiskey. I know for myself that alcohol makes it more difficult to lose. And lately, maybe because of not eating as much, I seem to feel headachy from it all the next day. I still like my wine but much less frequently these days.

LJoyce and penguin, we get some stations from Mexico here and I think Al Jezerra is still available. Mostly the news is unsettling these days and I try not to watch too much of it. It’s always interesting to see what the latest is from “he who Twitters”. Sometimes I think we’d be better off with two or three hours of news shows like it was before 24/7 news.

I’m definitely doing a B2B fast day today after yesterday’s fast barely budged the scale. It’s been an easy day so far.

Frangipani71. Welcome. I’m another none-Aussie – about as far away as you can get and still be on the same planet. I have been at the 5:2 since it started and am living proof that it works, even in old age and on a body which has carried too much weight for decades. I hit my target a couple of weeks back. I don’t have the Vegemite excuse for being here. I arrived via a discussion on English Muffins and because of a need for advice on kefir. They are a friendly lot here and LJoyce is absolutely right – the chat does get varied.

On the subject of kefir advice, I have been making it for a couple of weeks now. The grains have gone from a spoonful to about a third of a litre and I am making about two thirds of a litre of drinkable kefir a day, which is enough. Is it time to divide the grains and either give some away or make cheese?

Good morning everyone,

Hi Frangipani, I am Melbourne too!
    Good idea to do your reading first and make all those decisions about which would be a good day to start, and how you might manage your intake.
    Hopefully it will suit you and become a lifelong tool for good health!
    Did you see that they are repeating the documentary tomorrow on SBS 8:35?

I am having my favourite time! Morning after a fast day. Enjoying a cup of tea and beginning to think about what I would like for breakfast.

Best wishes everyone for a lovely day.

Thanks for the info on the programme Cinque, I will set it to record now! 😉 I was going to watch it agin on YouTube but no need now!!! I’m certainly not bothered if the conversation isn’t all about 5:2, the other thing I love about these forums is they are a great way to make new friends and converse with the outside world!!! Being a separated mother of 2 (11 & 14years) my life pretty much just revolves around the kids!!! Enjoy your well earned breakfast Cinque 😉😊 Hope you all have a great day, fasting or not 😉

Cinque, I’ll have to join you all and watch it on YouTube tonight. I’ve watched parts of it, but never the whole thing. Your post about the book that suggests listening to your body about what to eat – my body would surely lead me astray if left in charge. I think it is waiting and saving up energy for the next worldwide famine!

Joffy, my spellcheck apologizes for calling you Jiffy in my last post and I’m sorry I didn’t catch it! 😙

Penguin, I love the goat milk kefir which is from full fat milk. I think I’ll change to full fat cow’s milk too. It tastes so much creamier! Sounds like you have a huge crop of kefir grains. That didn’t take long at all.

Good morning all and welcome Frangipani71. Im a single mum too (9yo girl) and live at the foothills of the Flinders Ranges in South Australia.

Just looking at my avg stats from fitbit app and on a non FD my avg daily intake is between 700 to 800 calories so no wonder i felt so yuk after eating 1800 yesterday. The scales made me sad this morning as I’ve gone up to 65.9. Frangipani71 for your info my goal weight was to lose 10kg and be 65kg -I’ve been hovering 0.5kg off of my goal weight for several weeks now.

Struggling with FD today as its only mid morning and my belly is growling like crazy. Suspect perhaps its trying to process all the calories. Will go for a power walk in my lunchbreak today.

Cali ‘he who twitters’ I love it. Oh just making myself clear here – love the comment not the twitterer (is there such a word as twitterer ?)

Probably the reason you are struggling to get over the line with that last 0.5 GdayfromSA is the fact you are not increasing your calorie intake enough on your non FD days?! I have lost count of the many diets I have tried over the years and taken a little bit of good from all of them. I have always been a firm believer in that when hitting a plateau a big splurge and a fast is just what the body needs to get it back on track and kick starting the metabolism again. This is why after all I have done in the past and read so far about 5:2 that I really feel it is the best and most sustainable way of eating to loose weight and gain better health. I will be starting on Monday next week and I’m looking forward to this seemlesly effortless plan. I’m currently at around 96k,I was 108k this time last year. I did get down to 88 a few months back but it really crept back up during the last school holidays and the fact that it is winter hasn’t helped!!! I’m a bit of an emotional eater and depression has not been too kind of late either! I would love to get down to 85k that is my ultimate goal for now. I’m taking the kids to Qld for Xmas so will just do my best to loose as much as I can before then. Enjoy your walk SA and keep up the good work everyone 😊

Good morning all, like Cinque I am also enjoying my first pot of tea after a good FD. I’m not a breakfast eater but I am contemplating what to have for lunch. At the moment I’m thinking muesli with kiwifruit, strawberries and kefir.

Cali & GDSA – twitterer might not be a word, but just shorten it to twit and you’ll be on the right track!

Penguin – Wow, a 300ml of kefir grains – sounds like you have amazing grains, I had no idea they multiplied that quickly. I think it’s definitely time to start watching some youtube instructions on how to make kefir cheese. I’ve looked at a lot an I think these are the best of those I watched:
    How to make thick kefir yoghurt:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Y4sp8_1Gc
    Making Kefir cream cheese:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz8mERlok-8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqGULjLFo4g
    Kefir cheese balls:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mkoUY6ADbk

Cali – You are a brave soul, good luck with the B2B fasts. I tried it once and decided it definitely wasn’t for me.

Frangipani – Your goal of 12kg in 4 months is probably realistic. I had quickly gained late last year and started 5:2 in January. It took me 3 months to lose 9kg, which got my weight down to 79kg. One thing I found was that the weight came off at its own pace with lots of plateaus, especially after the first month. It took me time to stop feeling frustrated and accept that if I ate properly and did my fast day my body would eventually lose a bit more body fat.

GDSA – enjoy your walk at lunch time, it must be a drier up your way than it is here at the moment.

LJoyce, the B2B fast yesterday and today is a one time thing to try to get off this darn plateau, not something I’m going to keep doing. For me, it wouldn’t be sustainable long term. And I believe the 5:2 should work, even as I get closer to my goal. I just need to be more mindful on my NFD. Totally agree that your twit comment is on the right track!

Frang, I’ve found too, that a big splurge can help with a plateau. It’s just that I think I’ve had a few too many NFD splurges lately. My 2 day fast is because I was so mad to find out I only lost .2 of a pound after yesterday’s fast. And I was well under 500 calories. I am feeling a little irritable and hungry now with a few hours til bedtime. I’ve been drinking enough herb tea to sink a ship!

Cali, don’t be too down on yourself. I have been reading the book over the last 2 days and don’t forget it does say that if the scales don’t go down it doesn’t mean that it is not having very positive effects on your health and the inches too! Any loss is a good loss as far as I’m concerned and even no loss shouldn’t have you being too hard on yourself. You should give yourself a big pat on the back for sticking to that FD and coming in under the 500 cals. That’s the great thing about 5:2 as we can have those days where we don’t loose but then reward ourselves the day after any way. If this was any other regime we’d all be falling off the wagon!!! I have contemplated doing 3:4 having my FD on Mon, Weds and Friday. But I will see how my first day goes on Monday first lol. You are brave doing B2B, I really hope you have some good news for us tomorrow. I really don’t think FD will be a problem for me as I’ve done the 6 week HCG a number of times and that restricts your calorie intake to 500 every day!!! Everyone is a winner just for being here 😉 I think the Twit comment is bang on BTW 😂😂😂

Viewing 50 posts - 12,201 through 12,250 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.