Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,916 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  Cinque 25 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 8,901 through 8,950 (of 28,020 total)

• Another FD, 68.8 this morning. Merry when I first started just getting to 80 was a major achievement, then 75 and couldn’t get my mind around the fact that I could actually go lower. Now that I’ve stopped giving myself a hard time, feel and look good. Fitting into size 12 compared to 20 + all those years ago, I will just go with the flow but my next goal is to get to 65kg by my birthday in October.

I have just been reading the Good Health magazine, August edition and they feature a 2-day super diet where you only eat 500 calories 2 days a week!!!!! sound familiar. The recipes featured look really appetising so if anyone is looking for ideas the Women’s Weekly has a book $35 also check it out at awwcookbooks.com.au. All recipes are for one.

Thin I have a sticker that was on my desk way back when I was working which says “Goddess Within” it is now on my computer desk, maybe I should put it on my bedroom mirror😉

Beth as I’ve said before I have my binges but I am finding the longer I am on this 5:2 that I actually feel sick if I overindulge so this WOL definitely changes your metabolism and tastebuds. If I have too many sweet things I then have to have something salty to counteract it.

Good morning everyone. Welcome to September. It is lighter and warmer here. The cat is so glad that I am back to leaving the door a little bit open so she can come in and out.

I had a nice fast day yesterday. I was hungry all day but in that healthy way where I just think, oo my body must be working hard to deal with this fast day!
    (Except when I took the bread out of the oven and could smell it the rest of the day!… I have had a lovely breakfast today though!)

My binges are so small nowadays too! But since I am a lot lighter I have a feeling that they equal out. But as Lael said, every fast day is a lovely reset. It does more than compensate for whatever I overate, and it gives that break so that it is easy to start again the next day on that normal eating program I so want to stick to. A binge isn’t the start of an enormous avalanche of self destructive behaviour, it is just a little dump of snow that is easily dealt with!

Beth, I hope you find that fasting on a work day is fine, Sending good wishes!

Intesha haha about the magazine article. But I am glad the news is getting out. I’d like to check out the WW book too!

Good morning everyone, posters, readers and lurkers all,

FD for me today and I’m back up to 66.3 somehow, 100gm higher than starting the last FD. Must be a fluid thing, again. i know if I just keep doing it it will get me under 65kg. Whatever it’s doing, 5:2 is good for my health and that is so awesome I still get amazed by it.

Oh Cinque, I’m smelling that bread too. Did you ever think you’d be able to bake bread while not eating. Hope you’re feeling more energetic today. Vikathy has posted on the ME/CFS thread. Don’t know if you have the thread ticked. You may remember we posted on her new thread a couple of weeks ago. Vi is Dutch and in an electric wheelchair, not ME/CFS but compromised health, and joined the British thread.

Intesha I remember you at 80kgs and getting under it. You were awesome, just didn’t know it, now you do🙂 I think that sticker deserves to be in both places. Ha ha, we are on the 2 day super diet! How amazing. I hope they give credit to 5:2 or some of IF (Intermittant Fasting) researchers in the article. I’ll keep an eye out for the WW recipe book. We’re pretty simple in our kitchen though.

Beth – hope you FD at work goes well. There seem to be quite a lot of people who like to fast on work days.

Lael – it’s good to see 5:2 working so well for you🙂

Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

I did see thanks Merry and wrote there! We really should have a chronic illness and disability thread as there are so many shared issues! And it would get a lot more people than a specific illness or condition thread.

The bread I make isn’t as good if it is cut when fresh, always best to wait til the next day. So I have practiced restraint! But then it lasts me a good week or more, and it is the best bread for me!

I’ve got little granddaughter here at the moment, playing with the beautiful set of Russian dolls. (Don’t tell her but I hid the 4 tiniest ones so there are just 8). But what fun we have opening them up and she says ‘teeny weeny little one” with increasing shrillness. She is so funny.

Intesha I agree. That sticker should be everywhere!

Beth, I too hope your work and FD went well! Cinque, I loved reading of your attitude toward the more difficult FD and how the difficulty is a reminder of all we are accomplishing by remaining devoted to our FD plan.

I’m celebrating a new low this morning after yesterday’s FD. I was pleasantly surprised to see 60.0 kg.

I weighed myself before bed last night and weighed 61.8 kg! I do drink a lot of water so attribute a good amount of the difference in the two readings to that. So, Merry, I have similar experiences on the scale too! I didn’t expect to see such a high number at the end of a FD!

Today I wore to class a new dress that has fresh spring colors, a cut that I wouldn’t have dreamed of donning even when I started 5:2, 3 months ago.

I also tried on a pair of slacks that have been in storage since about 2006!! The legs fit with room to move, though there was no way I could do up the rear zip! My middle is still too padded for them! I’ve decided that I’ll go on maintenance when I can wear them comfortably!

P.S. Intesha, the recipe book sounds interesting and good! I like the idea of single serve recipes. That works for me. I checked Mimi Spencer’s recipe book out of the library and have it here and most of her recipes are for 2-4 people and many are higher calories than I would choose for a meal. I too hope the WW team gave credit to Dr. M and/or the researchers!

Day after FD and now 200gms off my lowest weight back on 27/7, 67.5. This WOL is just amazing.

Good morning,
    bit of a dull morning. But temperatures in the 20’s next week!
    I didn’t manage a productive day yesterday, so I will try again today!

Lael, once when I had scales I took a reading, went to the loo, stood on them again… and I had put on weight! No wonder I have no time for them!

Congratulations on wearing that gorgeous dress! Lovely!
    Good to have your maintenance trousers ready too!

Nice work Intesha!

Best wishes everyone for a good day!

Good morning everyone,

Day after FD – 65.0kg, down 1.3 on yesterday morning, funny how the fluid thing goes up and down a bit more than I expect at times. My goal for FD’s is 375cals these days, yesterday was 486, so more than I wanted, but a good result this morning anyway.

Lael- how lovely to fit into a dress you feel so good in. Isn’t 5:2 amazing!

Cinque – hope todays a good day for you. So good to enjoy our littlies. They are so cute and just delightful. Enjoy.

Intesha – a new Personal Best. Fantastic!

Have a good day everyone and happy FD to any Friday fasters,
    Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Cinque, I giggled when I read your experience with those scales so understand why you don’t have time for them! I’ll have to go see if I can find something I can use to test mine! …Like a 5 kg sack of lentils or 5 litres of water which should weigh 5 kilograms, though the container will weigh too, hmmm I guess I could weigh that on my kitchen scales first and add that in! …Just thinking out loud how to verify that my scales are accountable!

Merry, on Monday you wrote that you were on 65.8 kg so you’re powering along having reached 65.0 today!!! That’s a stellar result for your efforts!

Intesha, congratulations on reaching a new all time 5:2 low!!!

How are things going Beth?

Hi to everyone else!

Good morning, fellow fasters!

Congrats Intesha on being so close to your all time low. It must be a great feeling.

And congrats Lael on hitting the 60kg mark, that’s fantastic.

Merry, that is an awesome weight loss, congrats.

I am struggling with food at the moment. I can’t seem to break the junk food addiction. I know it all started with stress eating, but now the stress is a lot better – yet I am still eating. Not only eating junk during the day, but also unhealthy meals and not portion controlled.

Weight this morning is up 600g. I’m not surprised, but am disappointed with myself. I need to go to the shops today and I’m scared I’m going to make unhealthy choices again. It’s a real struggle to stop eating the junk, and to get back on the wagon. I don’t like feeling like a slave to the junk, and it isn’t a nice feeling after eating it. So why can’t I stop?

Good morning all,

Hi Nap – always best to shop after you’ve eaten not when hungry, and it’s a bit easier to resist buying the junk food. Also, Adeline, who is a medico of some sort, and seems quite knowledgable, gave me a link to an explanation of the eating junk when you don’t want to thing/overeating on a thread somewhere. Maybe on the bingeing thread, not sure. Will see if I can find where it is. Something to do with the junk food causing some sort of hormonal response. It’s a chemical thing, not will-power, and irresponsible food manufacturers know it and use it, I’m sure. You can get past this, it’s just finding the way. For me that is not eating those foods for 5 days (I usually do 7 to make sure), but giving myself permission to eat other stuff I really like and eating as much of it as I want, to replace the craved for food. My weight usually goes up a little, but my goal is to stop the cravings, not to lose weight, or even keep it the same, during that week.

For me the killer foods involve gluten, grains – all of them, and often the foods with equal fat and sugar in them – combination that’s been shown to be addictive, and manufactured deliberately for that reason.

This is not about will-power it just feels like it is. It just makes us feel crap! Other people can see it as will power too, but that doesn’t make it so. They talk that way “well just don’t eat it” they say, but that’s out of ignorance or getting a kick out of it. Either way, they just don’t know what they’re talking about, so don’t let anyone like that get to you. Talk well to yourself in your own head too. You’re a strong person Nap. You’ve come through so much and you’re doing good. You can work this out.

Sending you a hug,
    Merry

Hi Nap, I know how you feel since I too can also be triggered emotionally and get started into less healthy eating patterns which last long after the stress has passed. It hasn’t been that long since I’d fallen into such a pattern! It’s fresh in my memory.

For me stopping can sometimes feel like stopping a fully loaded steam train moving with great momentum at great speed down the track. Fully laden steam trains can take time to come to a full stop even when brakes are applied, since they roll on for long distances. This is how I feel sometimes in the face of my cravings. I too often ask what it will take to break/brake the momentum.

I also have a view that food manufacturers design foods to be addictive, for profit, so I don’t think it is all our own fault.

You might already be doing this, so may not be relevant, but what helps me at times is to eat as much healthy food as possible alongside the junk food that I’m struggling to forego. See, when I often get into eating junk food, all healthy stuff goes by the wayside. Simply stopping eating the junk cold turkey often only leaves me feeling deprived and craving. Ensuring I’m eating healthy food with plenty of nutrition, alongside the junky stuff, enables my body to be more physiologically ready when I decide I’ve had enough of the junk.

So, for me doing as much good stuff for myself as I possibly can, even if it looks small in the bigger scheme of things, like making a big salad to consume along with the Coles frozen pizza that I decide to heat for dinner, is an example. So, I just try to look for ways I can do things like this and also let myself buy and eat the junk food till I’m inwardly ready to let go of the junk.

Then eventually for me, it ends up having to be an all or nothing choice. I’m not ever good at eating just one biscuit. I’m better eating none. One biscuit starts my craving again and I’ve been known to eat whole boxes at once. So eventually I go cold turkey, though the time has to be right for me. I have to have almost been a ‘good mother’ by doing all those little good things for myself enough for me to be ready to do cold turkey. It’s as if I have to build trust in myself again, if that makes sense. I almost feel like I have to prove I can be a good mother to myself before that hungry, vulnerable, craving being inside me will relax, trust and go along with my cold turkey decision.

Fasting days have helped me with cold turkey steps, though I’m admitting that I’m a newbie here with only a couple months experience. I might not yet have experienced the wide range of possibilities or triggers than I might encounter down the track.

I’m curious to know how have your recent FDs been for you and the subsequent day after NFD?

Good morning everyone!

Congratulations to all on your great FD results, I hope to be able report in at those weights someday soon. You’re all inspiring to me!

I can sympathise Nap with the junk food issue. I don’t know the answer other than to just not buy it. I sometimes find myself in the rubbish aisle (confectionary, chips etc) and I pick something up and there’s a split second there where I can make a decision. It is so easy to pop it in the basket, eat it on the way home but then I feel awful and think, I didn’t need that…

Sometimes I’m able to say, even when it’s in my hand, no, I don’t need it, and I put it back. I’m always so proud of myself when I can do that. Sometimes I then find myself in the fruit section thinking, well I didn’t buy the chips so I can have blueberries instead! Emotional eating (that feels like addiction in the moment) is hard to break.

Day after FD and I’m down into the 70’s – woo hoo! 79.8kg this morning. I had to abandon FD on Thursday as I inadvertently consumed too many cals at lunch which left only about 50 cals for dinner and I knew I’d be hungry all night then. I thought the 138 cals was for the whole tin of soup I ate but it was 2 servings per tin. Didn’t realise till after 🙁 Anyway, decided to fast again on Friday and am happy to have reached that small first goal of getting back into the 70’s.

Fasting at work was easier than fasting at home I found. Kept busy so less time to think about food. Just had to make sure I stayed away from the biscuit tin.

Not sure if anyone else does this but I’ve read, and people have told me, that drinking water with fresh lemon juice first thing in the morning is very good for you. Someone told me recently it helps with their cravings. That was enough for me to give it a go.

The hardest part of the FD, for me, is the afternoon, especially late. I find myself busting for dinner and consequently make it earlier than normal.

Blowing a gale here today in the Upper Hunter area. So sad for all the farmers who’ve just weathered an incredibly long drought only to now have too much rain and they’re losing their crops. I’m in awe of their resilience.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend. x

Ps. The remaining (10 or so) Aldi Shapes crackers are gone – I ate them.

I’m not buying them anymore – the Arnotts ones I USED to buy taste horrible now anyway since they brought in the ‘new improved flavours’. It’s a good thing really…

Well said, Merry.

Hang in there, Nap. Awareness is the first step. 🌺🌺

I eat nuts and other good foods while weaning myself off sugar and grains.

It’s good to read all the success reported in the posts above. Beth, that’s good to know that fasting at work works well for you. Too bad about the false start for Thursday’s fast but good for you for fixing it up on Friday. And you’ve been rewarded on the scales!

Well done Intesha, only 200gms from your pre-family visit PB. You’ll be announcing a new PB soon.

Lael, how lovely to have the confidence to wear a pretty print dress previously deemed unsuitable.

Nap, sorry to hear that you’re struggling. You haven’t mentioned whether you read the link I posted for you two pages back about understanding false hunger. The third point was about addictions and cravings and contained a link for further reading on that. The final paragraph of that (latter) article states: “Whether your addiction is to tobacco, salt, sugar, caffeine, cheese, wheat, etc., keep in mind that your body has adjusted to these substances over a long period of time. To suddenly withdraw them will cause distress and possibly even permanent harm. Moreover, change will be difficult to sustain if it is initiated too suddenly. Therefore, it is necessary to gradually re-educate both body and mind. When you understand the mechanisms involved, the persistence of your expectation to gradually change will assure success.” Knowledge is power, I think it’s worth a read. As Bay says, being aware is the first step.

I’m with you Merry, I try to do the grocery shopping on a full stomach. It’s a lot easier to make mindful choices at the supermarket stage than the pantry stage. I try and keep in mind that they have all this junk on sale to tempt me to buy it; my job is to fight back and resist. I don’t even venture down the chips aisle; there’s nothing there we need.

Cinque, are you fasting today? I hope it’s going well. I was tempted to join you. I’m at the upper limit of my wiggle room after 5 consecutive non-FDs which included a restaurant breakfast yesterday. Looking forward to tomorrow’s fast and getting it all back in check. Please send some of that warmer weather this way.

Nap,

Sugar and simple carbs are addictive. The addiction is as strong as any drug addiction or alcohol addiction. Would anyone seriously tell an alcoholic to just limit themselves to one glass of beer or wine and then be surprised when they couldn’t stop at one? The physical effects of sugar addiction will probably take the best part of one month to detox from. The psychological effects? Probably a lot longer. So don’t tempt fate. No sugar and simple carbs EVER. Will it be tough? Of course it will, cant sugar coat it (pun intended). Go shopping after you’ve had a meal and make a shopping list first (no junk on the list!). Get what’s on the list and then GET OUT OF THE SUPERMARKET FAST!!

Good luck.

On reflection, that was a poor choice of paragraph to quote as, taken out of context, it makes little sense if you haven’t read the whole article. It’s complicated. Nap, I was just trying to say don’t beat yourself up as none of this happens overnight. You’ve lost a huge amount of weight and you don’t want to sabotage all that effort. Try and reward yourself with other things like a massage, new clothes, dance lessons! Remember what Beth said – nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

Thanks for all the comments, I am feeling all the emotional hugs and support from you all.

It’s interesting that you say it is thought to be a chemical thing, not will-power, Merry. I would be interested in seeing that link if you ever find it. I like the idea of stopping the food for 5 days and allowing myself to have other things.

Lael, I like your idea of having something healthy alongside the unhealthy. That could be a good thought. As for my fast days – I am fine. I never find myself caving in on FD, I always stick to it. The next day has been a bit tricky the last couple of times, but I haven’t gone totally all out the next day to make up for my FD, if that makes sense.

Beth, thanks for the support. Yes, it can be a powerful feeling to know we have not put something in the basket at the shops.

Thin, sorry I thought I responded to the link you posted – that could have been in the posting that disappeared into the ether the other day. I did find it very informative and it is quite thought provoking. I will re read it about the addiction and cravings.

Bigbooty, I wish I could stop the simple carbs and sugars completely, I can only imagine how much better I would feel!

That is a great quote, Thin and Beth “Nothing tastes as good as being slim”.

I am feeling quite despondent today, so of course I am reaching for the junk again. Why am I despondent? Because I am eating the junk – so my response is to eat more junk! A vicious cycle… I can see that at this point. I can also see that OH isn’t helping as we eat our stress together. So when I want to stop, he doesn’t – and vice versa. Another good thing to realise, and hopefully work on.

Thanks for all the support, everyone. It is greatly appreciated.

Nap, I see you finding your own way through.

Thin, I’m fasting with you again tomorrow. I have another appointment away from home on Monday and works better for me to fast tomorrow.

Goody Lael, look forward to chatting tomorrow. I’ve already taken my three frozen items out of the freezer: one cauliflower soup, one root and barley soup and one almond & coconut milk allocation for my coffee. The easy & lazy way out! I’m hoping there’ll be enough leftovers from tonight’s meal for the OFMs tomorrow as I find it easier if I’ve already eaten some of whatever they’re having. What is your goal weight?

Nap, it’s great that you’re sticking to the FDs so well. Let’s celebrate that! The other days are a work in progress for many of us. It’s so much harder when the OFMs aren’t really on board. I can’t go cold turkey (strange analogy) on sugar either and I’m in awe of the strength of Bay & Cinque. Meanwhile, I just keep trying to recognise how these foods make me feel once the high is gone – and, just like you are reporting, there’s nothing good about it.

Thin, you are so organized! I love it! I’ve got my ingredients here too, though not sure which ones I’m going to eat! Mine will be the trusty LaZuppa, some protein powder drinks, maybe cottage cheese and strawberries if I can fit them in!

I’m up in the air with regard to a goal! I’d originally chosen 59 kg as my goal. Then I read that Mimi Spencer is the same height as I am (5′ 7″) and that she moved to maintenance when she reached a mere 54 kg. Since I too weighed the same much of my adult life, this made me rethink my everything.

When I saw 60.0 kg on the scale this week, I got the pair of size 12 Rodney Clark brand pants out of wardrobe archive and discovered that they are so far from fitting around my waist. So I’m thinking of using them as my goal since being able to zip them up will indicate that I’ve shed the visceral fat that I want to be rid of.

Oh sorry Lael, that all sounds very familiar now that I’ve read it again. I hope you’ll be sticking around when you get those pants fitting well.

P.S. I just had to look up the origins of the phrase ‘quit cold turkey’ for fun! You’re right Thin! The phrase really doesn’t fit with what we’re in the throes of! The origins apparently come from the 1930s describing heroin addict withdrawal because they go through a phase which makes them look like cold turkey carcasses! I won’t go into the graphics of that! Someone reading this might be eating some of their 500 calories and won’t want to forfeit contents of stomach!

P.P.S. …Yes! I’m definitely sticking around! I love this group and view it as best support for maintaining this WOL. I learn so much!

I’ve read a number of posts by those who completely left the forum after reaching maintenance and usually they weren’t able to continue with the momentum they had when they actively participated here in the threads.

I feel we are so fortunate to be offered this resource free of charge without interference of third party advertising. Dr. M. thank you for this gift!

Yes, here’s to Dr M. for bringing us a manageable way of life and to JJ and the other site managers for enabling us to get support from like-minded participants. The posters here are all stars. I wonder how many people practice 5:2 world-wide.
    Cold turkey – completely appropriate then!

Lael, I too am 5’7″ and just realised I must have weighed 54kg (9st ?)in my late teens/early 20’s. Back then a friend went to the snow to work for the season and came back bemoaning the fact she was now 10 stone and I remember thinking oh wow, that’s a whole stone more than me!

So there’s 2 things – 1. can’t believe how much weight I’ve actually gained over the years and 2. I can’t imagine ever being 54kg again! 😳

Lael, may I ask what weight you started at and how long ago? Apologies if I’ve asked before and forgotten.

Hi Beth,

What weight were you before you put on the weight or do you have a slight frame? 54kgs is quite slim for 5’7″. – 8 st 7 lb, not super skinny but reasonably light.

About to go to bed, 1317 cals today with TDEE of 1500 cals. Was 64.6kgs this morning. Another nonFD to go before weigh in and weekly charting on Monday morning and next FD. Have made a pot of soup with just low cal veggies and chicken stock tonight. Will put it in the frig to use as is or with chicken or fish in it later.had lean pork steak and salad with a small mandarin for dinner.

Night-night,
    Merry
    Walking. Away. From.The.Kitchen🙂

Hi Merry, well it’s been a gradual increase since I was in my 20’s (around 9st). Lost some just before I turned 40 (back to 61kg) then climbed up to 81.1kg. I too think 54kg would be too thin for me. I recall at 61kg a couple of people saying I looked very thin in the face. I don’t think I have a slight frame but I don’t really know – been so long since Ive seen my true frame!

I think 65kg will be ok for me but I’ll see when I get there!

Hi everyone, now I do feel heavy!!!! I felt great when I got down to 64kgs in 2003, being only 5’2″, so needless to say, my goal weight is a lot less than that now! I was also like you Beth in that I left school a size eight and never went above 8 & 3/4 st until my mid 20’s. Once I met my husband, stopped smoking and got married in 1993 I was up to over 10 stone!!! By 2003 I was determined I wasn’t going to be fat at forty and really got to grips with it but it wasn’t sustainable, obviously!! My heaviest has been around 88kgs but that was before my 5:2 days.I am still getting down to 75kgs and do enjoy this WOL, but I also understand the emotional side of the eating junk and bingeing and I agree with the others, it takes time, but awareness is definitely the first step. With owning my own restaurant and being a chef I have full access to the kitchen 24/7, so you would think how great to eat all that wonderful food, but my cravings for junk food, particularly potato crisps and are no less great than anyone else, I can assure you.

I know someone has asked the question recently of switching to 4:3 from 5:2 to lose more weight, I have tried this in the past for weeks at a time, but apart from enjoying the structure of eating less for three days a week instead of two, I didn’t lose any more weight, I find now that if I stick to 5:2 and only eat around 3-400 calories on my fast days I lose steadily.

Been weighing myself daily Merry (although only charting first thing Mon morning) and am amazed also how the scales differ so much from day to day, lets hope they are well down tomorrow morning??

Time to get outside and pull some weeds before the rain hits, off to the movies tonight with dinner out at a anew restaurant first, must be mindful!!!!

Enjoy your Sunday and FD if you are, and Happy Fathers Day to you all out there,

Turnabout

Hello everyone,
    I have been crook for a day with a tummy bug, feeling better but tired today. lovely to read through all the posts. I won’t try to answer them all, just say hi and best wishes.
    I am fasting today, even though I didn’t eat much yesterday.

Nap I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. It isn’t fair. It is good to read all the things people have been saying.

After years of reading things like ‘Fat is a feminist issue’ and anti diet books, it was huge for me to really understand that there are physiological things that caused my overeating and, especially, that set off that intolerable need to eat things that all the will power in the world could not counteract. However, insights in those books do remain helpful.

I have also worked out things to get myself out of that cycle of overeating. The biggest thing I found, echoing what others have said, is to do my best to be kind to myself.
    The first thing, of course, is to recognise that I am in that bad space. I also have to accept that it might take me a few days to get off of the roundabout.

Then I put a limit on what I am eating now, in a kind way. ie not ‘stop eating now’ but ‘i will finish this packet of chips (biscuits, this cheesecake etc) and then I won’t eat again for three hours’.
    I have to tell myself that in three hours I can eat what I want. But do my best to eat the healthiest thing that I want!

The next thing is to drink water. Because my brain easily interprets thirst for hungriness, so often I have got myself quite dehydrated.

Then I put into place all the good things I can do for myself: pampering things or other things that I know will make me feel good. And also trying to deal with anything causing me anxiety.

Then I follow those steps of eating all I want, and then waiting a few hours to eat again. eat as healthy as I can, while still be kind to myself. Keep hydrated. Do sleep hygiene things if bad sleeping is part of the problem.

Now that I have cut out sugar, I only have the faint shadow of those horrible events, so it is all much easier to deal with. The fast days are an easy reset.

However, my life is MUCH less complicated than yours and I think you are a hero for getting through each day. I just hope that fate finally gives you a good run so that you can get life set up to be easier. But if that doesn’t happen, please know that you have enormous goodwill and support from all of us here!

Great to hear your story Turnabout. When you’re fasting for the long-term, it doesn’t matter how long it takes unless you’re at a life-threatening weight. Although I’ve never tried 4:3, I can see how it could be beneficial to anyone needing to build more discipline into their weekly eating. I agree about building awareness. When you’re eating less, it’s a lot easier to isolate the effect of certain foods. Back when I ate anything and everything, I had no awareness that bread was causing a bloated sensation, let alone preventing me from losing weight.

This is my fifth week on 6:1. The weight creeps up as it nears Sunday and then retreats after the fast. Fasting only once a week is a little reward for maintaining my goal weight for a year but the minute I hit my trigger weight, I revert to 5:2. Six days between fasts is too many to keep naughty little habits from creeping back in. I’m a bit torn between ‘getting away with it’ and knowing that two FDs would provide a better rhythm.

Cinque, did you have a good day yesterday? Next week I might fast with you on Saturday. DD has postponed Fathers’ Day until next week due to having a pathology exam tomorrow. OH looks a bit dejected.

How’s your day going so far Lael? I’m about to have my second coffee with almond & coconut milk. Coffee is another of those addictions where the low is delayed several hours. All we tend to recognise is the high from drinking it.

Have a great Fathers’ Day all who are celebrating it.

P.S. Cinque just saw your post. Sorry you’ve been sick but happy that you’re fasting with us today.

Hello!

Love reading everyone’s posts!

Today’s fast day has been a bit challenging. I’ve been feeling quite emotional over the past couple of days and I’m aware that this morning I was so much hungrier! My TAFE course is ending in a few weeks and I’m now thinking of writing a resume and thinking of job seeking and I’m petrified of it all! So it is the angst around all that which is putting me into what I consider a ‘danger zone’. Danger zone = tendency to want to snack and binge and run away from it all! Good thing today is a FD!!!

Thin, good point about this being a long term way of life pursuit and so it really is irrelevant how long it might take to reach various signposts along the way.

Cinque, your ways of approaching your overeating cycles sound good! I hadn’t thought of putting that space of time in place when I’m in downward spiral. Can be like a mini-fast of sorts! I’ll keep that in mind, especially with this ‘danger zone’ looming! …Glad your tummy bug has passed!

Hi Beth! By the time I began 5:2 I’d already come down from my 2015 high of 70 kg by following Dr. Alan Christianson’s ‘Adrenal Reset Diet’. That diet worked very well for me for a good 8 weeks until hit 64.0 kg. At that point I became voraciously hungry and began eating my weigh (pun intended) back up again! Following that, it seemed no matter what I did, I was never able to drop below 64 kg without feeling suddenly hungry and vulnerable/fragile. And though I tried, I was also never again able to rally the discipline to return to the Adrenal Reset Diet for more than a few hours! I started 5:2 in late June 2016 in the low 64 kg range. So, it was like magic when after my first FD I discovered that I’d fallen straight through that 64 kg glass floor and actually felt really good!!

Turn, Wow, a chef and a restaurateur! I’m in awe! I see all those budding chefs on Masterchef and my mind boggles at their ability to synchronize and serve up so many meals during challenges and such. How did you do during the dinner out at the new restaurant? Did you see a good movie?

Lael, imagine how much more confidence you’ll have in applying for those jobs when you’ve stuck to your fasts, haven’t sabotaged your weight loss and didn’t succumb to your snacking desires. Not that I’m not in total awe of what you’re doing in furthering your qualifications and career at our age. It must be scary. But you can do it and so much the better when you’re in control. When I was about halfway through my weight loss, I had to give a public speech and I was so nervous having been out of the workforce for so long. But I found so much confidence in having the best body image that I’d had for years. I stood up there in my new clothes and gave it to ’em! It is very empowering to be in control of food rather than the other way round.

Thank you Thin! You are so right about reaping extra confidence since starting this WOL. I can think of so many moments when I’ve walked into class, especially after FDs feeling so transformed and balanced compared to how I felt pre-5:2. I very much appreciated reading your public speech story! Though I don’t know what you look like, I was still able to envision you at the podium!

Great posts today, very interesting. Comforting to know there are others who go through similar feelings and self-discipline issues – sometimes you feel like you’re the only one but obviously not. It’s so good to hear the different ways people deal with all the varying situations that prove a problem for us. It’s definitely not a one size fits all.

I like the idea that fast day is a reset day – great description. I look forward to my 4th fast day tomorrow – hoping each one is better, and a little easier than the last.

Lovely Father’s Day lunch today with family. Hoping my Mum’s divine quiche and meatloaf doesn’t show up at my weigh in on Tuesday 😊

Morning, fellow fasters! Looks like a gloomy day here, but we will see if it clears up.

Thanks for all the advice and support. Cinque, I love the way you describe how you made your way through those times – as Lael put it, it is like mini fasts. I am going to try something similar tomorrow. Maybe one junk thing a day?

Lael, good luck finishing your TAFE course – what are you studying? I understand about the being petrified of job hunting – I was there last year when I was finishing my courses. Did having a fast day help slow down the impulse to eat through the stress?

Thin how did another week of 6:1 go? I can see what you are saying, that it is harder to keep the creep of naughty things at bay with once a week. I may always be on 5:2, I think, for that reason – or I have wondered about 6:1 one week, 5:2 the next. Will you continue with 6:1 for a while longer, do you think?

Another FD for me today, who is with me? Lael you fasted yesterday, as did Thin and Cinque. I hope you all went well, and are enjoying a nice brekky today.

FD for me today Nap. We can do this!

Hi Nap, the fast went well thanks. But I’m the same weight today as yesterday! I’ll see how I fare on the scales tomorrow and might add an extra FD on Wednesday. I knew it couldn’t last. I’d also thought about alternating 6:1 with 5:2. I’ll find the key to maintenance eventually but, at least for now, the scales will be my guide.

Have a great day all the Monday fasters.

Good morning!

I am feeling so much better. Not only the tummy pain gone, but recovered from the two early mornings last week.
    I had a good fast day and a lovely breakfast this morning thanks Nap!

However, for the first time I forgot I was fasting and ate something! I spied a lovely punnet of strawberries and they are one of the few fruits that I can occasionally eat. I ate one and was just going for the second one when I remembered I was fasting!!!!! Klaxon sound! Sirens! Luckily one strawberry does not a fast day ruin!

Good luck in getting on top of things Nap, celebrate every little victory!

Lael, good luck to you too. Isn’t it amazing how as soon as we are stressed our new habits go out the window, and the old habits are just sitting there ready to go!
    What sort of job do you want? (sorry if you have already told us, my brain is a sieve)

Thin, I notice someone has put up a new thread about falling off the 5:2 train after a year of keeping the weight off. Sobering. I think it will be just surfing once I have got to my happy weight. Continual adjustments to keep upright! I wonder what my mix of 5:2, 6:1, 500 calorie or 800 calorie fast days will be.
    At the moment I am going more and more slowly to my happy weight, so maybe maintenance will never be an issue. Maybe I will be like that philosophy thing where you keep stepping half way to your goal and never quite make it there. (The infinite halfway theory). At my funeral I’ll find the shroud a little bit looser than when it was ordered, but not quite as loose as it could have been! 🙂

I hope DD’s dad has an extra wonderful fathers day next weekend and he can feel he is a very good dad for waiting that extra week!

Beth you’ve made me hungry for divine quiche!
    And it is so right that we each have to work out our own way to manage 5:2. What suits one person doesn’t necessarily suit anyone else!

Nap, Beth and anyone else fasting today, I hope it is an excellent one!

And good luck for everyone on a non fast day too!

Hi Cinque

It will always be 5:2 for me, plus minimising all grains and sugar. So it definitely is a Way of Life, and not a diet. I have never managed to go on losing past the sensible weight, and I don’t believe you will have a problem when you get to your desired weight.

Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺

I’m fasting today, and glad it is a warm sunny day. ☀️☀️☕️☕️

Hi everyone,

Good to catch up with all the posts. We have such different lives between us. We eat and drink such different things and on different schedules, and there are various ways we’ve gotten ourselves into overweight. However there are some commonalities and guilt about overweight, unhappiness about how we look, trying trying trying to get back to normal, thinking we’re the only ones with out of control eating – all tjose things are the commonalities we’ve had. There are smaller differences in those things and some more extreme behaviours occasionally for some (some form of food addiction), but I love how with 5:2 we not have a sustainable way of normalising our weight, improving our health along the way. Learning and using 5:2 is a process that improves our knowledge about food, our individual physical and emotional reactions to it, and shows us where we’ve been going wrong if we’re open to learning lessons about ourselves. It ends up putting ourselves in control of our food, not the other way around. It really is the basis of a way of life that is sustainable during this era of over-plentiful food and manufactured food in the Western World.

Fd for today and weighing in at 65.3kgs this morning. It would have been under 65 without Father’s Day, but I made a life decision ages ago that I still needed to celebrate certain times like Christmas and birthdays. The way I do it now is very different to how it would have been before 5:2 though. I had very little control over food choices yesterday as the day changed at the last minute, but I kept the quantities down and had my veggie soup for dinner while OH had the more special dinner1course)I made for him, but still healthy. Lunch was fresh and healthy-ish, with family, but 3courses grain based, and out of my control, so I enjoyed it, enjoyed the company, but limited the quantity, and not feeling compulsion to eat today, which is good. My 65.3kg is 500gms down on last Mondays graphing weight so the line is going in the right direction.

Happy FD to the Monday fasters,
    Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Hi Everyone Cinque suggested I come check out these posts to help keep me on track. So going to make myself accountable to you all.
    My names Dianna, I live in Ohope, NZ and I lost 19 kilos on 5:2 a few years ago and maintained for over a year. For a number of reasons stress related I have gained four kilos and I’m struggling to get back into things.
    Today I’m fasting 65.3 this morning and my clothes are tight I feel so uncomfortable. I’ve had a day of coffee and I’m waiting to eat late tonight so there is so room for me to have extra.

Welcome Dianna. Well done with that successful loss and hopefully we can all help motivate you to get back on track. 4kgs isn’t terrible but let’s reverse it now! And we need more kiwis here anyway.

Cinque, I’m pleased you’re feeling better. We have just been up to Kings’ Park to walk around and look at the wildflowers – spectacular! OH said he’d like to plant some kangaroo paws so I made a mental note for DD to get some for him for his personal Fathers’ Day next week.

Well done Merry. Hi Bay. I hope your FD went well everyone.

Hi Dianna and welcome!

This is a great group of fasters – new, ‘old’ and in the middle- of fasting, and we have some ‘ venerables ‘ (long term maintainers ) who drop in occasionally,…..so you will get cheers, pats on the back, and the occasional kick in the pants🙂

Hey we are both at the same weight today – 65.3kgs with about the same to lose. My goal weight is 62kgs, so 3.3 to go. I might wander down another couple or three kgs over a longer time. So….my question is …how tall are you?

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry
    Who agrees with Thin, there aren’t enough Kiwis here atm

Welcome Dianna! I agree with Thin and Merry that it is great to have another Kiwi in our group! I’m curious to know if you practiced a maintenance strategy once you reached your 19 kg. goal? In other words, did you practice 6:1 for the year you maintained or portion control or maybe your natural choices enabled you to remain slim?

I hope you each had an effortless fasting day today, Dianna, Beth and Nap!

Bay, I have a friend who is quite thin and is a gym junky. She reached her goal weight months ago though has chosen to remain on 5:2 rather than revert to 6:1 because she says remaining on 5:2 allows her the freedom to enjoy that bit more food without putting on any extra weight. This makes sense to me and perhaps I too will end up continuing with 5:2 into the future even when I’ve reached my goal.

Merry, your quote that follows really spoke to me, “Learning and using 5:2 is a process that improves our knowledge about food, our individual physical and emotional reactions to it, and shows us where we’ve been going wrong if we’re open to learning lessons about ourselves.” Reading that also summed up the theme of my experience for yesterday’s FD!

So, Nap, yes! What was wonderful is that I was more able to feel, reach down to some depth of what was under that driving hunger because I was fasting! Fasting gave me the space to feel the hunger and emotion separately, instead of them arising all muddled together. Because of this I feel a lot of healing took place! Had I not been fasting and instead given into that hunger, the day would have turned out much differently! The environment of support I feel here is a big part of how well things went for me. I awoke this morning calm and as if a storm had passed. I waited till I was hungry to eat which was at 1 pm when I had lunch.

Nap, what area did you study? Good on you for going through the job application process, a daunting process from my perspective! Did you secure a job position and you’ve continued to work in that field?

I’m enrolled in the TAFE Certificate IV in Community Services course, which is basically a broad social work field of study. My area of interest is to start working with people with disabilities after I graduate at the end of the month.

Viewing 50 posts - 8,901 through 8,950 (of 28,020 total)

You must be logged in to reply.