Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,929 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  Neilithicman 18 hours, 15 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 6,801 through 6,850 (of 28,033 total)

• Hi Intesha

I remember writing what you’ve just written. Have to pinch myself etc. even when getting into my size 12 clothing. Now, However, I think of myself as a slim person. πŸ˜‰ I think it took a full 12 months on 5:2 to get used to the idea.

Naptime, As Thin says, you have to stay vigilant. But it definitely can be done. Don’t expect a weight loss every week. Be content with what happens. Pat yourself on the back for what you have achieved. Well done!

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

Fab Naptime! Woot! woot!

I had one of those mornings when I woke up and could tell I had lost weight. And it was at the start of a Fast Day, so that was nice too. I wore some trousers that used to be too tight for me. Comfy! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

I am probably going up to Sydney to visit my daughter in a week or so, so I will see what I weigh on her scales. Last time it was 62 kg.

Bay and Intesha, I am exactly the same, struggle to see myself as the person in the mirror. I have been plump or a fatty all my life, so am at the lightest since my early teens. Love it! πŸ™‚

Naptime, welcome. Unlikely as it may seem at the moment, you are well on this road to a slimmer, healthier you. Congratulations on your low reading. πŸ™‚ You have measured yourself, I think I remember. I never did that, didn’t join this forum until I had gained my ‘yippee’ weight, and as I didn’t have far to go are now thrilled to be wearing size 10 trousers. πŸ™‚

Great to hear Naptime. This time next week, you’ll be a believer! Did you measure everything? And order the book? The best $11 you’ll ever spend and, let’s face it, Dr M. deserves the sales!

Cinque, please get some scales, I can’t stand the suspense.

Bay, Barata and Intesha, I’m the same as you. Even when I translate the kgs into lbs (I used to live in the USA), I know that 131lbs is less than I weighed at the height of my ‘5 miles a day’ running days when I was super fit in California. People keep telling me I’m skinny & I can see that the numbers on the scales are great but I don’t think I’ll ever quite see myself a a thin person. ‘Thinatlast’ was only ever a tongue-in-cheek name. Like you, I’m still pinching myself.

Ha Thin, you’ll have to wait too!

I remember reading that our sense of our physical shape gets embedded when we are around 13 years old.
    If we are tall and skinny then, it doesn’t matter if we never grow another inch, we think we are a tall, skinny person.
    If we are pudgy at 13, we can’t think of ourselves as skinny. If our boobs started early, we think we are all boobs.
    And so on.
    And so it is really weird to keep seeing evidence of something different.
    I’ve talked about this with others who mostly found it was true for them.
    Does that fit for you?

I was a pudgy 13.

Cinque, yes it does! I was an early developer, I wore a bra from age 11 and had a good set of boobs by 13. My Dad used to joke about them, I’ve never thought about that until now. I wonder how that affected my body image. I wasn’t overweight as a teen though. I’ve gone from a size 18 to 14 bra and although they’re much lower than they used to be, they look pretty good in a properly fitted bra so I can’t complain.

FD for me today. Anyone else fasting? I’m trying a new recipe today Fragrant Chicken Broth. It sounds Thai, with chillies, fish sauce, ginger, limes, coconut milk, etc. Only 122 cals so OFMs will get some crusty bread and maybe a side of rice. I’m going to the dentist too so it’s a good day for fasting!

Afternoon all. Sorry I have been absent for a while and have just used some naptime to try and catch up on all the posts I have missed (boy you guys can talk ha ha).

So Thin, it seems you have decided to keep with the 5:2 for now. I think that is a good idea as long as you don’t get too skinny.

Well done Naptime – an amazing loss for your first week on the 5:2.

That is interesting what you said Clinque about our body image getting imbedded as a 13 year old because I was the skinny 13 year old and my brain has never really moved with my changing body. It isn’t until I catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror that I realise that I am fat!! I caught sight of myself once in a shop mirror and thought it was a pregnant lady until I realised it was me!!!

Well, I had a shocking weekend eating 6 club biscuits I bought from the British Shop, takeaway chips, a hot chocolate and crisps. I have put on around 2 kilos and didn’t lose anything after my fast day on Monday and am still sitting around 65.2 now. So my dream of falling into the 62’s this week is well and truly out of the window. I blame “that time of the month” because I turned into a junk food fiend. Another fast day tomorrow so hopefully that will drop a bit but I can really feel those extra 2 kilos.

To make it worse I have to go swim suit shopping on Sunday (not the best way to spend my birthday) as we are going away for four nights next week and there is a pool and hot tub there.

Anyway, sorry to come back with a moan. But on the other hand, if it helps someone to keep focused then thats all good.

I hope you are enjoying your fast day Thin. Sorry I have abandoned you on Wednesdays but Thursdays are seemingly working better for me at the moment. Good luck at the dentist.

I’m not going to bother fasting whilst I am away but I am hoping that the extra activity I will be doing will balance it out a bit. Only time will tell..

xxxx

Cinque, never thought of things that way, but yes now it makes sense!!!!
    When I was 13 I was the same height as now 5’2″ and very slim. I had done ballet since I was 3 and I continued for 17 years. I see a dress in a window and think how that would look on me, but my imagination is showing me what I would look like if I had that body still. I am also shocked at looking at myself in the mirror these days and wonder how I ever went wrong along the way.

feeling a bit down today!!

Oh dear you two. Sorry to read your posts and that you’re both having a bad day. This time next year, you will be looking in the shop windows not recognising your reflections because they are so much smaller than you thought.

EA, Thursdays makes a lot more sense for you so don’t worry about me. I only do Weds because I do Sundays. I read your junk food confession. I don’t need to say anything because you’re already regretting the extra 2kgs. Was it worth it or not? You can always stick in a fast before and after your trip to set yourself up for the little extras you’ll probably enjoy on your holiday. Don’t send yourself into a downward spiral EA, you’ve done so well. I hope you have a lovely time wherever it is. And a great birthday on Sunday too. Enjoy yourself but don’t lose sight of your goal.

JJulie, you went wrong for the same reason we all did. We’ve been conned by food manufacturers. So don’t beat yourself up. You know better now.

After the dentist, I ducked in to check on the track suit situation. I’d finally found one last week (any colour you want as long as it’s black) but didn’t want to pay full price because I’m too tight. Went back today and they’re half price. My instinct is still to reach for the L size. I took the S and the M sizes into the change room. Both fit. Just could not decide which looked better so came out to ask the saleswoman what are the corresponding size brackets. Another customer told me she thought the S jacket fitted me perfectly and I remarked that I’d never been a S before having just lost all this weight. They wanted to know how and then a mini crowd gathered round the counter while I explained 5:2. All quite amusing and here I am with an S size Bond’s trackie suit. Too bad it had to be black – my old big size colour.

I hope this has cheered you up EA and JJulie. You CAN do this.

Thanks for sharing Thin because it has cheered me up no end as I am so pleased for you and all the hard work you have put in to achieve your “small” status. Well done hun.

No, my binge wasn’t worth it. They weren’t even British Chip Shop Chips. They were yukky vending ones. I am not, repeat not buying junk food again to go in the cupboard. And do you know my rationalisation for having the third club on Sunday? Because I knew I was fasting on the Monday and didn’t want it staring at me in the pantry – even though I have an English teenager who would have appreciated this little snack from the Mother Land no end.

You keep me motivated Mrs Thin – thank you. I should not stray from this forum for so long – it keeps me on track.
    xxxx

Morning, everyone! Sounds like it has been a tough week for some, and a great week for others…

Thin, yes I ordered the book – and tried to measure, but failed miserably, trying to hold the tape measure and see what those tiny numbers said! Today my OH is going to help me, so I will do that today.

I had a mini fasting day yesterday, as OH is taking me out to lunch today. Reduced my coffee (due to milk) and had salad for lunch. Only about 250 cals until dinner, so I was happy with that.
    Did stir fry last night – but was shocked to see the ‘healthy’ noodles were a whopping 600 calories!! And to think I went from rice to noodles when I do stir frys because of the cals! Needless to say, I went noodle-less…

I bought some miso soup sachets for FD – but what do I do with them now? What do you all add to them to help make them a bit more filling?

Thin, how did your broth go? Can you explain how you made it, or where you got the recipe from?

Have a great day, everyone. And for anyone fasting, good luck!

Good morning everyone. It is surprisingly crisp and cold here. Frosts outside the city! Brr

Hi Naptime, good luck with the measuring today, those tiny numbers do make it difficult!

Miso is very adaptable, in Japan people have it every day but with different additions according to the seasons and celebrations. It is a nice broth just on its own, and the better the miso, the more it shouldn’t be boiled, because it is full of living things that are good for you.

It can have cooked things in it: noodles, spinach, carrots, potato, beans, peas… Or raw things in it: cucumber, herbs, spring onions, tomato, radish… Meats such as chicken, prawns, strips of beef etc. Oh and tofu ofcourse!

So it is impossible to be prescriptive. Try some things and see how you go.

I like using the thin Japanese noodles and some chicken and greens (eg bok choy). (I have miso paste, so I cook the things in water and then stir in the paste)

Yum. I haven’t had it for ages! Must see if my paste is still ok after being it the fridge for the year!

Weren’t we an interesting lot at age 13! And isn’t it fascinating how our brains work! (And I do wish dads would cut out the boob jokes!)

EA What an awful experience with the chips. May you never eat sub quality chips again!

I’ve got a couple of busy days with visitors and food stuff, so I think the earliest I can fast next is Saturday. I am so looking forward to it!

FRAGRANT CHICKEN BROTH

Warning, this is quite hot and spicy, so if you don’t like it too hot, use just one chilli. Freeze three portions for your next fast days.

SERVES 4 Ready in 30m

1 litre fresh chicken stock (80 cals)
    2 green chillies, deseeded and chopped into rings (2 cals)
    6 spring onions, trimmed and shredded (55 cals)
    1 thumb of fresh ginger, cut into very thin strips (9 cals)
    1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into strips (51 cals)
    2 limes (5 cals)
    pinch ground mace
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp Thai fish sauce (4 cals)
    1 tsp rice vinegar
    400ml can reduced fat coconut milk (292 cals)

β€’ Heat the chicken stock with the chillies, spring onions (scallions), ginger and red (bell) pepper. Using a fine grater, grate in the zest of 1 lime. Add a pinch of mace, the salt, nam pla and rice vinegar and simmer for 20 minutes. Juice the limes.
    β€’ Stir in the coconut milk and lime juice, and heat for a further 5 minutes until hot and just bubbling. Serve immediately.

If you like you can add extra ingredients such as mushrooms (13 calories for 100g) or green beans (35 calories for 100g).

NOTE: I didn’t find it hot at all. For the OFMs, I added one chicken breast sliced for the last 10 mins and made sure my portion didn’t have any. I served theirs on a little rice. OH didn’t find it very filling and I do wonder if it’s worth wasting all those cals on coconut milk – but it was tasty and fresh and I liked it. I’d have it again.

CHICKEN MISO SOUP 132 cals

Serves: 2 Prep time: 15 mins
    Cooking time: 10 mins Total time: 25 mins

2 x 15g Japanese miso paste sachets (36 gm = 56 cals)
    1 chicken breast, skinned and sliced (100 gms = 172 cals)
    1 clove garlic, crushed (4)
    Β½ tsp grated ginger (1)
    8 shiitake mushrooms, sliced (Β½ cup = 40 cals)
    dash soy sauce
    ΒΌ Savoy cabbage, finely shredded (19 cals per cup)

Pour 600 ml boiling water into a pan and whisk in the miso paste.

Add the rest of ingredients, except cabbage, and simmer for 10 mins.

Stir in the cabbage, cook for 3 mins.

NOTE: Please verify the cals for the products you use – my estimation is that would be closer to 166 cals. This feels like you’re eating forever and I find it very filling because of the chicken.

There you go Naptime, a couple of ideas for you above. Enjoy your lunch.

EA, have a great FD today. I’ll be thinking of you. You’re very much like me with respect to food & impulse eating, we have a lot of years of bad habits to undo. It will come. I only mention the track suit thing to illustrate the body image issues that we all experience. Thanks for your lovely words though.

Cinque, we’re almost in summer weather here in the west, I think it was 31C yesterday.

Sorry, the Fragrant Chicken Broth is supposed to be 122 cals, please check your ingredients though.

Omg Thinatlast! I would rather the frost! (Knowing Melbourne, we could get 31 next week!) (Well maybe not, it will cool down on its way over from you!)

Forgot to say yay for the tracksuit! AND half price! It sounds wonderful Hope the next one is gorgeous colours! Lovely too to hear about the 5:2 discussion in store!

Those recipes look so yummy, never had coconut milk in miso!

The coconut milk doesn’t go in the miso soup Cinque. Naptime had asked how I made the Thai broth. Have a lovely day all.

Oh dear, my brain is on backward today!

Good morning all,

Thanks Thin – I am feeling better this morning. I weighed myself and although I seemed to have not been able to have proper fast days the last two days I tried, I still have not put on any more weight. That is making me feel better. I think that the thought that you have to be strict with yourself on your FD but then you can still enjoy those foods you really love means it does not have to put on weight when you do.

I have always been brought up with good homestyle cooking. Both my grand mother and mother were good cooks. They did not like waste and so they would cook, preserve and freeze heaps of foods. We hardly ever ate takeaway foods. The idea of going out for dinner was for only special occasions and usually it was the favourite chinese restaurant.

My failure has been what I drink. I love champagne too much!!!

I can go all day without eating but then if OH has a wine I want one too!!!

I have gone weeks without a wine as well.

Anyhow today is the start of another FD for me as I failed yesterday!!

Hi SH,

checking in,
    weighing after 2 FDs: let go of 7.5Kg Yayy!!!

I am happy because I have had parties on the weekend; nice and easy NFDs. Still downward trending. I am keeping to my plan of having some carbs on my NFD days. So far so good as the body recognises that they are not the enemy.

I have not been keeping up with the posts as I have a lot on at the moment. I have also been really off in the last 3 days or so – nauseous, dizzy etc. bit better today. But I miss all your news. Will have to have an all nighted to catch up πŸ™‚

Saw that some of the newbies were going well – so pleased for you all.

Happy FDs and good maintenance to all πŸ™‚

signing out,

Coast

Hi all – I’m still bobbing about – haven’t been on PC for a couple of nights.

My memories of younger age and fatness was that I always felt fat – no matter what size. My BBF and I went to the UK when we were about 20 and both weighed about 69kgs and both thought we were so fat! We found a pic of us in swim suits the other month and both marvelled at how we would just love to be that “fat” again.

I had such an incredibly carb loaded weekend (bread, scones etc) I did a sneaky weigh on Wed – just to prepare myself for the bad news at tomorrow’s weigh in… was in disbelief to see I was sneaking in under 80kgs, so .. all going well for today’s FD, at tomorrow’s “official” session I will have broken by first target… and I’m lining up that bottle of Sauv I got a couple of months back as my celebration. Will advise tomorrow if I’m having a bit of a tiddly night on Sat or staying sober πŸ™‚

Will look forward to reading everyone’s successful weigh-in nos. tomorrow (well done Coast – big CONGRATS on the 7.5 gone!!)

Morning/Afternoon all

Lol Cinque – Amen to that!!

Cheers Thin. Nearly didn’t fast today as was planning to drive bush to delivery some clothes and lots of other things to do so I had a cup of tea with milk in first thing. Then I thought, no, I can’t do everything today, so I cancelled the trek and carried on with my fast. I will have to remember to add the calories of my milk to my dinner quota. Got a lot on my mind so not even bothered about food so a good day to fast.

Weigh in this morning was 64.2 so have lost a bit of the past few days (probably water)

Glad you are feeling better today JJ.

Congrats on the weight loss Coast and I hope you feel better soon.

Get that wine chilled Nik T. Let us know how you get on tomorrow.

Have a good day all and well done and keep going to fellow Thursday fasters.
    xxxx

Good morning! It is glorious here, which is good for my food project event today. Just having a coffee before I get onto my enormously long list of last minute things to get done.
    I’m hoping for a nice quiet Fast Day tomorrow.
    Cheers to you all!

:o)

I know liquid only days are not a real part of this 5:2 but they’re perfectly manageable and are working so well for me. Was very very happy to clock in at 78.1kg this morning, so that bottle of Sauv will be attacked… and I’ll have to buy my new one for my 74kg goal (which is when I finally stop being “overweight” and hit “healthy bmi”).

We have a Country Ho down Buffet Dinner/Dance on Saturday, so put in a real hard effort this week to get me in a good place for that.

Hope any fasters today are getting thru their Friday’s well and everyone has a happy weekend πŸ™‚

Morning all

All the best with your food project today Cinque and congratulations NikT on your weight loss. Enjoy that Sauv!

Well, I’m fasting today as I actually ditched mine yesterday. I also have to follow a different diet so have had to re-jig my fast day food. So not doing my usual veggie soup as can’t have onion or leek so just having my protein with broccoli and carrot tonight. Will see how that goes as soups really fill me up more than anything but I didn’t fancy just souping up the two veg.

My weight this morning remained the same as yesterday morning at 64.2.

How did other Thursday Fasters fare?

All the best for fellow Friday Fasters. I had better make sure I stick to it today – got that dreaded swim suit shop to do on Sunday.

Happy weekend everyone xxxx

Coastcat, that’s incredible, congratulations. You too NikT, back on track losing again, heading for the mid 70s. Enjoy your wine. EA, good for you for persisting with a FD this week, I hope you’ve been well rewarded this morning? You’ll look lovely in your new swim suit. Have a wonderful trip.

Big dinner party for me tonight so I must get started with it. Moroccan theme.

Morning, everyone! Hope those that are having a FD are doing well…

FD yesterday, and this morning I have lost another 700g. Woo hoo! Fingers crossed that next week (when I would normally put weight back on) I have another loss – then I will be a FD convert!

Thanks for the recipes – I didn’t try them this time, as OH was home for dinner, so I did a mushroom stroganoff with zucchini noodles for dinner. But they are on the list for Monday.

Does anyone notice they are cold at night on the day of the fast? I can’t warm up on my FD at night, I just feel so cold. But I am curious if anyone else has this, and why?

Have a great day, everyone.

Good morning one and all

Thanks Thin – yes I was happy this morning as went from 64.2 to 63.35 so almost a kilo gone in one day (and I succumbed to eating 90% dark chocolate that evening but I was already below my calorie allowance). Enjoy your dinner party tonight.

I have also started a food, exercise and weight diary yesterday and am thinking of having a breakfast, fruit for lunch and then a dinner in the evening on my NFD. As I’ve got to re-jiggle my diet now I thought I would try something new. I’m not planning to fast again today as such but will definitely watch what I eat as a final ditch attempt to lose more weight before shopping for that swimsuit tomorrow. I shall have to concentrate on the 10 kilos I have lost as opposed to the 10 kilos I still want to lose.

Naptime – congrats on your weight loss and all the best for next weeks weigh in. I usually get very cold on fast days Nap. As the day progresses I get colder and have to make sure the fire is burning. Not really sure why. I reckon though as the weather warms up this will change.

Have a lovely weekend and all the best to weekend fasters.
    xxxx

That’s interesting, that you get cold too, English – does anyone else get cold on FD? Or is it just us English that suffer from it?

Lots of people report being cold on a fast day. I just think of it as having low fuel to burn, and go to bed early. Or if you are wide awake, then wear a lot more clothes. One other trick is to have a hot soup, a hot shower and leap into bed. Cheers, Bay πŸ˜‰

Well, that makes sense, Bay. I had never heard of it, and found it interesting. I think I will do the hot shower and hot drink idea…

and hugging a hot water bottle under a blankie doesn’t go amiss either.

Hi all, back from my little trip to Canberra. It was freezing but lovely. Floriade was stunning, haven’t been for quite a few years so enjoyed it very much.

At last I have had comments about my weight loss. The friend I went with couldn’t believe how much I had lost and how thin my legs were compared to when she saw me last. I met some other friends I hadn’t seen for years and the husband said “you’ve lost some beef” very flattering!!!!!

My friend is now going to attempt it but I’m not confident that she has the willpower to do it. I hope she proves me wrong as she really needs to lose weight and get off some of the multiple medications she is on.

I overdid all the junk food, didn’t really eat properly except for breakfast at the hotel, drank wine and didn’t feel guilty for a change. Did do a lot of walking.

Weigh in this morning 74.3 was 73.8 when I left so I am a happy camper. Having an FD today as I do feel bloated and need a good cleansing.

I know it was only a short trip (4 days) but it is giving me the confidence to realise this WOL does work and I have noticed that I don’t really overeat anymore I just enjoy the treats.

Well done to everyone on this journey and thank you for sharing all your pain and glory.

Hi SH,

an unscheduled pitstop πŸ™‚

after doing so well after 2nd FD, I had a bit of a messy NFD on Thursday so decided to throw in a semi FD on Friday.
    When I weighed on Saturday (glum) I had actually gone up πŸ™
    I had a nice regular NFD yesterday and when I woke I felt lightish, so decided to weigh. I am back to what I was after 2nd FD last week. So very happy.
    I also measured and find that I have let go of 24cm from my curves.

Welcome home Intesha – good to hear that you enjoyed the Floriade and the whole trip. Loved the positive comments from your friends. Well done.

Bay, will have to try the ‘leap into bed’ tip – got my hot water bottle ready EA πŸ™‚ pity it’s starting to warm-up up here, though we have had a couple of nippy nights.

Good progress there, EA. How’s the re-jiggling going?

Naptime, sounds like you are getting the hang of the 5:2. Congratulations on the downward trend. Woo Hoo!!
    You have had such a lot of good advice from our experienced people that I really can’t add to the conversation. Only that, it sounded like you were being so strict with yourself that you were getting downhearted. I just wanted to say that isn’t what the 5:2 is about. It’s eating regularly, sensibly, including your treats, for 5 days a week and strictly less than 500 cals on two. That is really good for maintainers, but naturally, for us curvy people who have to lose more weight, it will take longer if we stick to that pattern.

I am happy to take a longer, steady pace, now that I know the secret to maintaining weight loss. and just get back to enjoying a regular food programme without worrying about the eventual weight gain – which was my issue in the past.

Thin how was the Morroccan themed dinner party?

NikT, was the Sauv delish?

Cinque, you’ve been busy with your project. Hope it’s going well.

Thanks to all you motivators out there :))

signing off

Coast

Forgot to mention that I am .5kg from achieving my first goal!!!!!

so close ……….

I am gifting myself either and annual subscription to the Gold Coast Arts Centre Cinema Club (just a card that gives cheaper movies) or an annual subscription to the Q1 (just for locals – and entitles you to unlimited entry up to the top floor – the views are to die for and I love going up to stare out at the ocean and hope to see a whale go past) πŸ™‚

Coast

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the input Coast. Wow, 24cm off? That is amazing! Good job! Yes, I was certainly downhearted – being so strict but not getting any further. Feeling much better now, as FD seems doable and gives me a sense of control over my eating. Just wait and see what happens in the second week, when I would normally have a weight gain.

Sorry we turned on the cold weather for you, Intesha. It is nice today, if that is any help ;-).

Had a bit of a downer this morning. OH brought out some chocolate yesterday… Need I say more? Weigh in this morning is up 1.1kg :-(. Just for chocolate? Really? I will do a half FD today (until dinner, as family is here). Hope that lessens the chocolate damage – curse you, chocolate!

How is everyone else going?

Naptime

Well Coast – sending you some strong resolve …with just .5kg to get to the next goal – and what a great gift to yourself – we went up the Q1 one holiday and just loved it up there πŸ™‚ … and my Sauv was devine (but the few extras I had at the dinner – mean a slighty delicate approach to life this morning… shoot – it’s just turned afternoon – anywho!)

Hi Intesha – you must be so chuffed to get back from your break with so little movement on the scales, and how wonderful to be getting the comments from folk.

My OH and I both noticed the cold on FD, but am assuming coming out of winter will help – and I’m a firm advocate of the shower before bed too.

Funny – my Dad who’s lost about 11kg so far said he’d noticed a different (better) result in the morning after showering – and I mentioned the success (or not) of ones on here with that .. but I’ve never tried as I’m a bit slap dash with the drying process, and figure the extra water must add grams.

Good effort Naptime with your loss and all the best for a 2nd positive reading next time πŸ™‚

Thanks for posting the Thai chicken recipe, Thin. Sounds amazing. We use a lot of thai ingredients and used to be able to buy powdered coconut milk powder and just add a couple of spoons to a mix, but haven’t been able to get it for years, and it feels such overkill to use a whole tin, so don’t do it so often these days.

We have such a glorious day, blue skies, blossom tree flowering madly outside (it only flowers for about 2 weeks before the spring winds blow all the blossoms to Gore, but since they came out last weekend, we’ve had practically no wind (very very very unusual for us!) so I have hope they may last a little longer…

Happy fasting this week everyone!

Hi all, i started last week, very happy with the decision and very greatfull for all your posts! thank you! my first week has been very successful, i havent weighed myself yet but messured last Sunday the day before I started with my hubby. he was told by the Dr to just cut down on his carbs, he is starving daily even with extra protein and water. He thought i was mad to eat so little on two days a week and just cant see how this could possibly work but the results are outstanding! I’ve lost 4 cm off my waist! In one week!!!!! 3 cm off my hips!!! Im really glad he measured with me because he wouldnt have believed me. I am very motivated for my next fast day, tommorow. It is hard to do but oh so worth the effort! as for his results, not a mm lost I feel very disapointed for him, Im hopeing to convince him with my results that he doesnt have to feel so hungry ALL THE TIME! what else can you do?

Welcome Sally. Good start. If you feel like sharing, please complete a bit of a profile or let us know where you’re living. Here in Perth, we’re always looking for new coffee recruits if you happen to be on the west coast of Oz. Maybe your OH will be inspired to join you on 5:2.

Coastcat, what you said about the journey hits the nail on the head – and anyway, reaching goal weight presents a new set of issues to deal with. I think your attitude is spot on, it’s not about losing huge amounts of weight in the shortest space of time but rather adopting a new way of eating for life. And what lovely present ideas to yourself. No calories either.

Glad you had a good trip Intesha and that people are noticing the changes in you. I’m sure you have motivated your friend to at least give it a try and you can be her mentor if she finds it hard.

NikT – re: the coconut milk, I freeze the unused portion in ice cube trays and just use them as needed. I’ve always done this with tomato paste. My freezer is now full of tiny tupperwares containing all sorts of pre-measured mini-portions of things like almond and coconut milk. I can’t recall who it was that said they missed their coffee on FDs but I meant to mention again about the A&C milk as an alternative that isn’t as wishy washy as skimmed milk and has less cals than hilo. You can’t froth it but it tastes OK. I get two good cups of coffee in the morning for only 22 cals.

Dinner party went well thanks for asking CC. I steered well clear of all bread including the still warm freshly baked turkish bread that OH collected from our local which smelled divine. Guests were stuffing their faces with the bread & dukka. I did have a G&T, half a glass of red and the sticky date pudding & its naughty accompaniments – the damage this morning was 100 gms. Welcoming a FD today though as I felt gross after all that excess this morning. OH of course headed straight for breakfast saying, ‘it was just a meal’. He’s in my good books though – today’s our anniversary and he surprised me with a Broome pearl. Wow, I wasn’t expecting that!

Hi Everyone,
    I had a good food event day, but lots of last minute things went wrong and I am taking my time recovering! It is hard to concentrate, so I read all the posts and cheer and send good wishes, and hope I can be more responsive soon!

I am not going to Sydney after all, so when am I ever going to weigh myself?

I had a nice Fast Day yesterday and I think I will wait til Wednesday for my next one.

Cheers everyone, it is a beautiful warm evening here, with the clear light of the sun and the shadows lengthening. I hope it is as lovely where you are.

thinatlast Thank you for the welcome, love WA and would love a coffee but on the east coast :(. i live in Port Maquarie, I am 40 and have 3 children between 12 and 5. i have been chubby/overweght since anout 9 but for the past year have battled with the black dog and needed a hysterectomy. the dog is back in his kennal, surgery in June so fully on my way to feeling good for the first time in years. The weight gain was substantial, 20 kg, yes i eat my feelings but starting to master mindfullness. so thats my goal, to feel good, stop snoring ( so i can sleep with my suffering husband) and be me again. I dont want to be grumpy anymore, i want energy to have fun with my kids, fun with my hubby. The weightloss is a part of it but not 100% my motivation. from what ive read lots of people have changed their life and outlook in doing this. So on to week two and fast day today. Ive been looking forward to it! Hunger is my friend, for two days a week ☺️

Hello everyone, today is my first fast day. It has been encouraging reading everyone’s posts here and I am very motivated to give it a go. I have read Michael’s book and one by Kate Harrison so have an understanding of the principles. I gave fasting a go about 12 months ago but it didn’t work for me then as I was stressed out about new job and moving at the time and found the fast days impossible. So ready to give it a red hot go now. This time I thought I would do a couple of extra things to keep me motivated like join this forum and keep a daily food and exercise diary.

I live in Dubbo NSW and the fast diet is quite popular, lots of people have heard about it and say they are giving it a go and happy with the results. Funny how we are all different and some people can fall straight into new eating habits and others (like me!) take a while to change.

I have been overweight since my 30s (now 53yo) and have tried every diet under the sun. Out of all the diets /advice on losing weight I like the 5:2 Diet best because it doesn’t promote lines of product or need you to eat specific foods.

I hope everyone has a great week.

Morning, all.

Hi Sally and Linda. I only joined last week, and am already finding this forum invaluable. The people on here are so supportive and knowledgeable – it has helped make this a pleasurable journey for me. Good luck to you both!

Wow, Thin – I admire your willpower. How can you avoid bread – especially when it is warm and fresh and smells yummy? Good on you. And thanks for mentioning about the milk – I have been trying to find a milk/ milk alternative that I can use for my FD. I haven’t seen A&C milk, but will see if I can find it. Is that what it is called? A&C?

Well, FD today, and I am ready, after my bad weekend. I am too ashamed to say what was for dinner last night with the family – needless to say it was not good!

Good fasting to all the fasters today, and enjoy your day everyone else :-).

Naptime

Welcome Sally & Linda – I hope this new WOL agrees with you and you keep seeing results.

Linda – I too feel like I’ve tried every diet out there, and so far I’ve been doing this nearly 5 months and my enthusiasm is still there, and for the very first time ever it seems like I might reach my goal. For me the big test will be the maintaining section, so it’s wonderful to get inspiration from the ones on here who are sucessfully maintaining, and thinking that it might just be possible. I love that you don’t have to buy any special ingredients and it suits my very bad ability to plan out healthy lunches for work and freed up time in my weekends when I’d stress about what to do. (I’m usually fasting 3 workdays, and other days I eat what I would have had for breakfast for lunch).

Thanks Thin for the milk suggestion – I’ll try next time I open a tin.

Cinque – I don’t know how you do no regular weigh in sessions – but it must be pretty amazing when you do finally do it.

Nap – I hope you enjoyed your Sunday dinner!!! πŸ™‚

All the best, my fellow Monday fasters

Good morning,
    Welcome Sally and Linda,
    It is a beautiful day in Melbourne, Summer must be coming, there is the sound of mowing out my window!

Sally you have been through such a bad patch, and it must be so hard managing all the mum stuff while your own life has been in turmoil.

Linda I hope it works this time.
    The thing I love most about 5:2 is that it is manageable long term.

That goes for your secret enormous Sunday dinner Nap! It is all part of it. I am just glad that you enjoyed it. The Fast Days will balance it out. Feasts are important (in my opinion!), the trick is not to have them too often.

Sometimes I like a hectic day to be my Fast Day. If I have my two light meals sorted (and that is easy: porridge in the morning, and I just need to check that there is soup made, ready in the fridge for the evening) then, I don’t need to think, and the hecticness helps the hunger times go quickly.
    And I can really look forward to the next day.

The other big thing that makes it work for me, is that every fast day helps me to eat better on non fast days. The crazy ravenous cravings get less each time. (Probably helped because I have cut out sugar).

It is funny to be sitting here with no scales when so many posts are about people checking their weight, but it really does work best for me. I need the philosophy that 5:2 is about my long term health, and after the frustration of 10 years of putting weight on, and being able to do nothing about it, it is such a relief to be losing weight! I would be prepared to wait 10 years for it to go off. But it is happening much quicker!

On the other hand I found a jacket I liked in the Op Shop (black cotton velvet, perfect condition, nice design) it fitted me, and I was so disappointed to see it was size 16: I thought I was nudging to size 12. (I’m little so I probably should be 10 – 12). Getting it home I decided a) it is a bit looser than I first thought, and b) maybe the person who donated it thought it would fit her because 16 was her size, and then found it was such a small 16 she couldn’t wear it! Maybe?

Best wishes to everyone Fasting today. I keep changing my mind, but I think I will fast tomorrow!

Naptime, It’s called Almond and Coconut Milk and it comes in a cardboard box along with the all the UHT type milks. I really missed my morning white coffees on FDs and the herbal teas just weren’t the same. MK88 on this forum mentioned the A&C and, although the taste is different, I’ve found it an acceptable alternative to milk. My two brewed coffees are all I have on FDs until 2pm.

I had a great FD yesterday, it feels so good to have purged all the excesses from the night before. I love bread Naptime but since I’ve been eating less, it’s easier to work out which foods affect me in certain ways (versus when I was mainlining anything in sight and wouldn’t have known). I’ve come to accept that carbs make me gain weight, in particular bread seems to have a devastating effect. Now that I’m at maintenance weight, I sometimes have a very small portion of rice, a fraction of what I used to have, but I avoid bread because it’s not worth the pain on the scales.

Thanks for sharing your story Sally. It sounds like you’ve had some difficult times but you’re embarking on a new period now. You’ll be amazed at how this changes your life in so many ways.

Welcome to you too LV, it sounds like you’re well-prepared. You’ve made a good decision to participate in this forum. I’ve lost 23 kgs and I attribute a huge part of that success to the support I received on this forum. We were on page 40 something when I joined. Ask us anything – everyone’s different but there’ll always be someone on here who can share an experience that might help someone else.

Cinque, I don’t know how you manage without scales. You’re going to have a very pleasant surprise one day. I’m an obsessive weigher. It’s so true what you said about the FDs helping to shape what we eat on non-FDs and I agree that feasting is part of the plan. And it’s what makes the whole thing sustainable.

NikT, are you doing 4:3?

I am now back on track after the 1st birthday party for my little grandson last week. Came home to cold weather plus weight gain. Last week I was off colour due to excess sugar and party foods. None of my children had noticed the loss until my youngest daughter screamed with delight as I had dropped 7 kgs since she had last seen me. My 24 year old son then apologised for not noticing. He was forgive as men usually don’t notice things like that. These two have been the only ones that are supportive. I am now in the low 72’s which 2 months ago I had not dreamt of. This months goal was 73 kg.

With the weather getting warmer should be able to get back out into the garden. Nearly all of the blossom trees are finishing but I enjoy the green leaves as it seems to make things cooler. The ashes and maples are just starting to spring into life the last ones to do so. The little grandson was given permission to come home and they came up unexpectedly yesterday for our local show. He was grisly so I took him outside to see the garden and he immediately stopped. Another gardener in the family.

Well done GL, super loss!

Well done to all the fabulous losers and welcome to the newbies.

Thin what has happened to everyone we seem to be the oldies on here at the moment. It is so heartening to hear everyone’s stories, we all start at different places. Sally I was in a similar place to you but my problem was my parents, Mum has dementia and I lost my job so life was pretty tough. I never thought I would be where I am today but Thin was on my case and gave me a swift kick every now and then.

Today, unintentionally, I saw a dress that I liked, it has been ages since I have worn one, preferring slacks or jeans. I tried on a size 14, which fitted beautifully but there was a little give in it so I thought maybe I should get a 12 as I am still aiming to lose at least another 5kg. So I bought it without trying it on. Just tried it and it fits like a glove. What a transformation, I can’t believe it.

So when times are tough and it doesn’t seem to be working just keep going. I have a saying printed on my business card ” A bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn”, I think I should read it more often.

Hi all, I need a kick up the bum. For the last 6 weeks I have been bobbling around between 65.1 and 64.1 and getting a bit discouraged. I would normally have fasted today, but I had to front up for jury duty this morning. I decided not to fast, in case I was selected as I concentrate on the unfamiliar better with some fuel. In the end I didn’t even make the ballot (which means I have to go back on Thursday), but the court was COLD, I had made my lunch to take with me, so when I went back to work I had the lunch rather than have it go stale. And then it spiralled downhill from there. Not looking forward to tomorrow’s numbers.

So new resolve for tomorrow! Unfortunately I’m home all day tomorrow, which will be tougher – I’ve only ever fasted on work days. My son is home too, but he is well able to cater for himself and my broccoli soup is already made (I made it for my daughter’s FD today).

Hi all,

I am here!!!!

Not a good week last week. After hitting my goal of 75 and celebrating, I celebrated too much!!!! In the end I put on 2kg and then every fast day from then on started out great and ended badly. So I decided to wipe out the week.

here I am now with a new week and it is getting near to the end of the day and I have lasted with a great fast day. So now I am feeling back on track and so much better about myself.

I will have a night time herbal tea and that will be all for the day.

I will read all the posts and hopefully have something nice to tell you tomorrow morning. Hope everyone else fasting today has had a good one!!!

Omelete with mushrooms and tomatoes for dinner and some strawberries for dessert!!!

see ya ……JJxxx

Viewing 50 posts - 6,801 through 6,850 (of 28,033 total)

You must be logged in to reply.