Hello from the US!!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Nika 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• I would like to join you! I’m a 37 year old mother from the US, and I’m on my 2nd week of 5:2.

I had intended to count calories on my non-fast days, but really kind of “blew it” over the weekend. I still managed to lose 1 pound for the week though! I fasted yesterday, and I’ve decided to try and eat normally today without counting calories. Surprisingly, after breakfast, I was full! I haven’t felt full after eating in MANY years.

I honestly feel like this WOE is going to be sustainable for me. Hopefully, I can get my non-fast days down to a normal level of eating over time – I really don’t mind counting calories 2 days a week, but when you have to do it every day, it starts to become a chore!

In case anyone is wondering, I started at 175.6 pounds, and would like to lose about 40 pounds. I am also working out with the Body by You book 3 times a week, as well as chasing after a toddler <— I call that a workout!

Thanks for reading!

Hi Amy!
    Welcome 🙂 🙂
    I counted all my calories for the first month, which gave me an awareness of how energy dense all the foods I teach for as a snack are, and got me into a pattern of choosing what I wanted to spend my calories on. Now I make three servings of a meal of around 300 cal, and on fast days I eat just that plus something extra if needed, and on my other days I eat that plus breakfast and dinner. For me, I am trying to wean myself off thinking about food all the time and am feeling like I am making progress.
    I think you will indeed find that your ‘other’ days do become a bit more balanced as your body gets used to this new pattern.
    Good luck!!

Welcome to our wagon! It doesn’t have doors however and the horse has a drinking problem, so sometimes people tend to fall off – but we always pull them back up.

Your post made me laugh, I don’t have kids myself (at 22 years old, makes sense) but I teach Taekwon-do to kids and adults aged 7 and up (not really toddlers, but still a handful!)
    Your body will adjust and you’ll automatically start eating healthier and more aware on non-fast days as well. I do think a basic understanding and insight into roughly how many calories certain foods contain is very important, just so you get an instinctual feel towards what to eat and what not to eat.

Never heard about Body by You, are they bodyweight exercises? Interval training?

Iwant2B – Thanks for the welcome! I like your approach with your 300 calorie meal. I am also trying to wean myself off of thinking about food all of the time! I find it helpful to eat 3 meals and no snacks.

Nika – Thanks for welcoming me here! I hope to get my daughter interested in Taekwon-do someday – we have a really good program here. Body by You is based on functional bodyweight exercises that get progressively harder as you go on. I’m only on my 2nd week, but I am enjoying it!

Hi AmyS it feels good to get started, lots of luck.
    Elaine 🙂

Hey Amy! I think it’s redundant to say that Taekwon-do is awesome and you should really motivate your daughter… coming from a black belt I guess you wouldn’t expect any other response right?

Good luck with the exercises! I also do a training program with bodyweight exercises but they’re combined with cardio into a gruelling HIIT workout of 30-60 minutes that leaves you crying afterwards. Love it.

Nika – What age can a child typically start? She’s only 1 now, but I REALLY would rather she chose Taekwon-do over dance class – and so would my hubby! Not that there’s anything wrong with dance class, but I think Taekwon-do teaches them so much more.

Elaine – Thank you!

I did both ;p Started with dance because it was what I really wanted to do them, and started TKD quite a few years later when that was what I really wanted to do. Kids seem to start pretty young – probably after they are walking though ;p Maybe you can go to your local club and check it out 🙂 🙂

Hey Elaine! At our club we start at 8, but I know of other programs here in the Netherlands where they start younger (5 or something I believe). I think it all depends on the club you want to send her. Just make sure that if they take them in young, they have a proper youth program with mostly just games and stuff (and the mental aspects of Taekwon-do ofcourse, like perseverance and being nice to the other kids). You don’t want them to mess up their joints and get other growth problems because they make the kids kick and do other stuff a growing kids’ body isn’t supposed to do.

Were you looking into ITF or WTF taekwondo?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.