Hello from Norway!

This topic contains 62 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Joan57 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)

• I can report 7,7 lbs in five weeks, and I am so happy! I like how the BMI figure is decreasing 😀 For me that indicates that I am becoming healthier. I was tempted to eat Creme Brulee icecream on Saturday – a small cup (maybe a scoop), and I just felt that I was pouring caster sugar into my gaping mouth. That’s what it felt like. And frankly, before I wouldn’t feel an ounce of guilt! Now, I do! Yey, us!

Dear Austrian, Yeah you hit the nail on the head! Anything remotely Connected to the topic at hand, and they just Write and Write! The thing With Norwegian is that we have two offical Languages: The Sami Language (Our first People) and Norwegian. We have Three offical written Languages: Nynorsk (based on dialects) and Bokmål (inspired by written Danish), and Sami. It is obligatory to learn how to Write Nynorsk and Bokmål in Schools; Most teens really fail at mastering Nynorsk, since Bokmål is what the majority uses. Nynorsk is a constructed Language. It’s so time comsuming to mark poor compositions all the time. English is my favorite subject to teach! One Language and one set of rules 🙂 Their English compositions are far better than their Norwegian ones!

Hi Lunaluv,

I LOVE comparing school systems and ideas about education in different countries!

I’m afraid that my question is a bit off-topic – how close are Nynorsk and Bokmal to each other? Would it be like learning an entirely new language, or are there only slight variations in vocabulary? Like a dialect? And do students who are not Sami ever get a chance to learn the language?

When I was in Scandinavia I was often surprised how well people spoke English, I suppose having all your TV series in the original language with subtitles helps a lot?

Cheers,
    Austrian

my copy of the 8-week blood sugar diet has arrived. I see it is now half price with online orders ( I used the Book Depository ) . I am mainly concerned that although am losing weight very slowly my waist measurement is ‘stuck’ at too large for that lovely belt I bought.
    Have found it an easy read – even the science bits, and I am not highly educated in science. I will give it a go but need to prepare first.
    If you are curious there is a website https://thebloodsugardiet.com which might explain it easily. Something passed my eyes ( I read so much!) also that if the gut flora, is the wrong balance, can make us crave the sweet/sugary things. I can believe that so will find out how to improve the balance of my gut bacteria.
    My only caution is, can I afford to eat almost no carbs? they are what makes me feel full? I try not to eat too much wheat but even rye bread is carbs… Protein can be expensive on a pension – and we have no regular fruit and veg market here so am limited in choice and price compared with some places.
    It is a case of changing shopping habits, eating out, taste buds and attitudes.
    Here goes. 🙂

have now read quickly through the Blood Sugar Diet eating plan at the second part of the book and some recipes have fairly rare ingredients ( coconut flour? guess that will be a tad more expensive than wheat flour – if I can find any) and a warning from reviews on Amazon that the Kindle version is not formatted well for this part of the book. I might delay starting this until I collect some better recipes. I DO have more time to fuss around but not sure if I have the patience and I HATE too much washing up! I don’t intend buying any more kitchen equipment ( spiraliser?) and many of the recipes I would be throwing out ingredients that have rotted in the fridge before I get round to using them. I do see on the BSD website that some folks are combining 5:2 – with 800 cals on the five…. Prrr! watch this space.

Hello WeeScotty,

I use coconut flour regularly. It is definitely more expensive than wheat flour,but I use very little of it. It’s basically a low-carb thickening agent, I use it in broccoli patties and pancakes and the like instead of flour or breadcrumbs. I suppose you can order it online, even if the supermarkets don’t stock it in your area.
    Forget about the spiraliser – I have one and it creates interesting vegetable strings, but the recipes are bound to work if you just cut up the vegetables or even peel them into stripes with a potato peeler.

So, do they advocate a sort of paleo diet in the book?
    Please keep posting about the blood sugar diet if you have the time.

Cheers,
    Austrian

Hello Austrian thanks for your comments. It is the Mediterranean diet that is espoused as best for health and weight control. Lots of recipes already out there so will scan those too.

Hi all, Hope progress is being made? I have just watched a video of Dr Michael Mosley and his wife in Australia. If you are flagging a bit and need a boost it would help to watch.
    https://thebloodsugardiet.com/welcome-and-a-talk-i-gave-in-australia/

They DO mention the 5:2 in relation to the BSD in their presentation. Sorry if I missed it but couldn’t quickly find a link to it elsewhere on the Fast Diet website hence posting for you here.

Quite sobering the amount of food in my cupboards/fridge/freezer that don’t fit so well for BSD and am not going to throw it away so it will take longer to get to starting point proper. In the mean time am cutting back calories AND carbs each day which can’t be harmful. Would be helped if Spring arrived permanently. We are back to November in grey cold/damp days in Perthshire – deters me from being out and about much.

Report: can now do up my leather belt – without any clothes on. This may frighten the horses! but maybe another inch off waist and I can put clothes on underneath? Didn’t think I had been particularly ‘good’ lately as am still working on clearing cupboards and freezer of bread/potatoes/cake/biscuits and changing to Blood Sugar Diet ingredients peppers/aubergines/pomegranate/courgette which I did eat but am upping the frequency. My weight is still slowly reducing but my scales show fat ratio down and water ratio up as well as reducing waist measurement so this is positive. Am encouraged.

Excellent. There is so much more going on than the scale indicates.

Wee Scotty, Excellent news regarding your belt.There is so much more going on than the scale indicates. In an earlier post you mentioned giving up carbs and concern about feeling full. I am carb sensitive but not to all carbs. White rice is horrible for me. White pasta next. I don’t register having eaten when I eat them and am triggered to eat more. Canned or dried beans don’t trigger me and are filling. Just a recommendation that you figure out of it is carbs or the glycemic index/load of a food.

Congrats, WeeScotty, great to hear!
    Aubergine, Zucchini and so on…I LOVE shakushka on my fast days – very quick to make, but possibly a bit less tasty than the “everyday” version because I just cook the aubergine bits and canned tomato, add salt and spices, then add the zucchini and eggs. Really nice and filling, even if you don’t use any fat at all.

I’m back. Will be reading up.

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply.