Hello from a Newbie

This topic contains 22 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Nika 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

• Hi, I’m Theresa from Ireland and am in the middle of my first 5:2 week – all we’ll so far – haven’t found it too stressful!

Hi Teresa and welcome to the forum.
    I am pleased you are not finding 5:2 too stressful – I dont either. In fact its the only diet I have done and been able to stick to and see a remarkable weight loss. I now think of it as a way of life dropping to 6:1 when I reach the size I want to stay at.
    Keep it up!

Hi newbie

I plan to start Monday, any tips?

Hi jujuberry23,

Welcome to the forum. It’s a good way of life, keep positive stick to the 5.2 and you will loose. I have been doing it for 5 months and have lost 1 stone 10 lbs and down 2 dress sizes, my hubby has lost the same. It’s a super way of living, so healthy.
    Good Luck to you.

Hello I have just done my first week and have lost 1.5lbs but saying that my sister has put on 1/2lb but did say train was stuck in station if you know what I mean lol!!! I found great after following ww for years but am not going to mad on feeddays

Hi I had my first fast day yesterday, have woken not feeling hungry which I am amazed at. Just want to say thanks to everyone who takes the time and effort to post to this world wide support group. I look forward to sharing my journey with you all.

Hey Teresa! How’d your second fast day pan out? If you’ve had it yet šŸ˜‰ With all these people hijacking your thread I thought I’d get back to you!

Hi Nika! Well – week 1 over – lost 1lb and now into week 2! I tried 3 small meals on my first week and was okay with it so today I tried lunch and dinner only so that I would be fasting for 17 hours and it seemed to work fine too. I would be happy with a steady 1lb loss per week as I am 5ft and have at least 50lb to lose – I HATE exercise which is why I have probably ended up overweight! Thanks for the warm welcome!

hi all from Sydney.
    Partner and I are starting our first fast day in two days – I don’t have the book but looking up ideas for our 600/500 calories and how to spread them over the day. I try to eat grain free so any heph here appreciated.

I am not usually hungry at breakfast 6:30am – but perhaps by 10/11. Partner only has certain windows of time to eat at his work so he’ll prpbably split his 600 into 3 parts.
    I think i’ll split into two. not sure – just working it all out.
    Otherwise we eat a fructose free diet – low carbs and high good fats. Just eating too much of everything is the problem so we feel fasting may really help. We do lots of excercise at weekends but not so much in the week – in fact he does none and I may do 2 x 30 minute walks.
    look forward to tips and talking with ya’ll!
    Cat

Hello, I have yoyo-ed all my life …. Which cannot be healthy in the long run… I saw some of the programme on TV last night and identified with my high cardiac risk… Family… And just know this must work. Excited to see all the positive posts … I am from Qld Australia…. So I go home Friday and that will be my first fast day… Then Mon and Thursday after that. Thankyou all for encouragement I know I can tap into any time šŸ™‚

Hello Newbie from another newbie. This is day one of following the 5:2IF after seeing Michael Mosley’s Intermittent Fasting program on ABC [Melbourne, Australia] last night. My main personal concern is high BP & cholesterol which is currently controlled using medication. I am an intense exerciser [bike rider] and hope that following this program will not interfere with rides where I use between 350 & 500 calories at a time. Anyone with knowledge of the impact of the 5:2IF on intense exercise please respond. cheers and good luck to all the other newbies.

Hey Teecee (just responded to you as well in another topic, hehe).
    1 lb a week is a good goal I think, very realistic. Like you I have at least 50lb to lose (probably around 60lb), but so far I’m around 21lb down so almost at a third! šŸ™‚
    And you HATE exercise? Even riding a bike, going for a walk or taking a swim? There are soooo many forms of exercise, don’t just think about running on a treadmill or something *shudder*

Hey Nigel, from what I’ve heard exercise goes well with IF. A lot of people report doing very well during fast days, especially on interval training. I don’t hear a lot about cardio, I could imagine that works a bit different (and maybe not as well). Try it out I’d say, and see how you feel! And, also important, let us know how it went!

Hi Nigel, I do both interval and longer cardio sessions on my fast days. I find they are actually the best days to exercise even! I tend to leave it until the evening and head out either with a Nike run group, or by myself to do around 50min if running and 15 min of sprinting / hopping / dying up a flight of 80 stairs. I feel FANTASTIC at the end, and as I have no appetite afterwards I am finding I am often not even eating my 500cal šŸ™‚
    Good luck and let us know how you go!!!

@iwant2bincontrol
    ” 50min if running and 15 min of sprinting / hopping / dying up a flight of 80 stairs. I feel FANTASTIC at the end, and as I have no appetite afterwards I am finding I am often not even eating my 500cal ”

This is admirable.

Are you doing consecutive 5:2 fasting days where you work out both fast days?

I also do stair training and sprints, but only on my first fast day, seldom on my second fast day.

I’ll restart doing Bikrum hot yoga on my second fast day and gauge the results.

āž°

Aw thanks for the encouragement! No I’m certainly am not doing consecutive fasting days!! I think sometimes I could, but I don’t want to commit to a fasting day, and then get to the afternoon and be hating on life. I don’t have a set schedule for training as my days vary a lot – so what I do each day just depends on what I feel I need to do in order to keep on track with improving various aspects of my fitness. I did the Nike training group with the associated sprints last night, and an hour on the bike this morning including 5x1min hard as I can. But tomorrow and Sat I think I am going adventuring so will likely just be walking those days šŸ™‚
    I haven’t done any sort of yoga before – let alone bikram! I hate breathing hot air :p I have heard very good things about it though – be sure to let us know how you go!!

Hi Nika – yes I really do HATE exercise. I’m mid 59s and have never owned a bike nor do I have any desire to learn to ride one. I can’t swim – now lying relaxing in a jacuzzi I could do lol. I never walk briskly – I’m a stroller so I can get a bit of fresh air if not calorie loss and I’ve two left feet when it comes to dancing! So as you can see I’m a hopeless case!

Haha mid 50s not 59s!

Haha Teecee ok, I guess you qualify as hating exercise šŸ˜› It’s always very weird for me to imagine because I love the sport I do… I can’t imagine that there are people who don’t like ANYTHING active. But of course they’re there (as you’ve proven!)

Strolling does burn more calories than sitting on a couch though.

@teecee46
    ” now lying relaxing in a jacuzzi I could do lol. I never walk briskly ā€“ Iā€™m a stroller ”

It occurred to me that you may consider the art of combining?

How about if you lifted weights or walked in place in the jacuzzi?

Or stroll while swinging light wrist weights?

Call it cross training if you like.

āž°

Rockyromero you are a legend! Yes I could do that! Thanks for the suggestions.

Take the stairs instead of the elevator! šŸ˜€

Hi Guys, I am a newbie doing my first fast day today, along with my wife. Skipped breaky and had a small lunch – small serve of tuna and tomato. Going ok, but feel a headache starting. Will push through though! Am really looking forward to the journey. Just wondering if anyone uses psyllium husk – from what I read its a great way of lowering cholesterol, but also fills you up with minimal calories? Thought it could fill a hole when the hunger pains fire up.

When the hunger pains fire up, I can suggest having a glass of water or tea. It tends to make the biggest pangs go away. You can also just go for a walk, the exercise can make you feel less hungry as it fires up your fat burning and ketones make your body all happy – anyway. I’m not a big fan of just taking stuff because people say it’s good for you. That’s what I like about this diet, it doesn’t force you into certain food groups.
    Then again, if you’ve read a lot about it and understand what it does and believe in what it does, go ahead. Never heard of it myself though. But don’t just take it blindly because someone says it’s good for you! Only take it if YOU are convinced it’s a good thing.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply.