Hello – first day

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Aldehulme 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• I have a minor procedure this afternoon that requires me to have liquids only today so am taking the opportunity to start 5:2 which has interested me for a while.

While technically “overweight” (who isn’t?) I excercise regularly (running & gym), eat healthy most of the time but do drink way too much, eat out too often and seek solace (from what I’ve no idea!) in large bags of crisps on many evenings.

I’ve been 13 to 13 and a half stone for years (I’m 5″10), dropped down to 12 and a half for a few months about 2 years ago when I was running a lot (10k races) but have been stuck above 13 & a half for the last year or so despite moving up to a half marathon in October.

Recently I topped 14st for the 1st time in nearly 20 years!

This morning I was 13st 11, I last ate at about 8pm last night and had no booze yesterday.

A few questions….

What’s the reason for 600 cals as opposed to zero?
    Is it a case of “you can have 600 cals if you need to to keep yourself sane” but nothing would be even better?
    Or does the small amount of food on fast days offer some additional health and weight loss benefits over and above what zero would? Eg, the protein preserving muscle?
    I.e. is it important to have the 600 cals and not so good not to?

I think I can go without breakfast after last eating at 7pm the night before and eat two 300 cal meals at maybe 3pm and 7pm.
    Would I be right in thinking that this longer first 18 hours without eating (7pm until 3pm the following day) followed by 12 (mainly asleep) might be more beneficial than 12 hours (7pm til 7am) then another 12 (7am to 7pm) followed by another 12 (7pm to 7am) mainly asleep?
    Or is it the opposite!?

I read “whatever works best for you” a lot – which is one of the great things about IF – but what is the absolute OPTIMUM way of doing this? (and don’t say “whatever works best for you! ;))

Also, I’m self employed so am able to have a good lie in if I want (which I’ve done this morning).

Would getting up later and going to bed earlier on fast days have any effect (good or bad) as opposed to fasting during what would otherwise be a normal day?
    Is it important to be up and about?
    Or could I lie in bed watching Netflix to get through the day?!

So, first day went ok.
    I didn’t sleep too well but that was probably more down to my op.
    I’d lost 2lbs the following morning.

Day 2 was yesterday (Monday).
    I last ate around 9pm Sunday and I stuck to water with lemon, green tea and black coffee through the day until about 3.30pm at which point I ate some Mexican seasoned turkey breast stir fry with peppers and red onions fried in a little coconut oil. Weighed out at 300cal.

I felt OK while not eating with just the odd difficult/uncomfortable 15 minutes here and there which a coffee or water seemed to rectify.
    I felt worst for the hour or so after I first ate!
    I was intending eating again at 7.30 but decided to go again about 6pm. Smaller amount of turkey and veg, tiny bit of guacamole.
    I felt much better after this, had more water and another green tea then went to bed early about 8pm and stuck a film on.
    I felt quite hungry in bed but fell asleep during the film which was quite a deep sleep until one of the kids woke me up about 10!

I had a reasonable nights on/off sleep the rest of the night (normal for me) and feel good this morning.

Now, while I could – I don’t currently feel a great need to eat breakfast so haven’t. Just black coffee and water with lemon again so far.

I’m thinking I might do day two (for this week) now rather than tomorrow as planned but am relaxed about it and might eat normally later and have a beer or two tonight.

Am I right in thinking I’m extending my fast from last eating at 6pm last night until I eventually eat today and that that should be additionally beneficial or am I missing something with the book suggesting I would usually have been back on normal eating with breakfast this morning?

Today is day 2 and its my fast day. I am up since 5am for work so breakfast was at 7am. I am hungry now and its 11:30 an. Im afraid I will get a headache. On my 2nd Litre of water. Can I take Bovril on a fast day? Has it calories.
    I have a plum for a snack at 2pm and a 250 cal meal at 7pm. I cannot drink my coffee black 🙁
    I’m determined to do this so any help on good full foods for fast day would be fab.
    TIA X

Dee – granted I’m as new as you but I was surprised that I could go without breakfast and have done so two days running now (only intended to do so yesterday, not today).

Got to 12.30 today before eating. Felt OK (albeit hungry) yesterday with no breakfast but lousy once I first ate…

Maybe worth a try…?

Hi Aldehulme,
    Thanks for that, I will try it on my next fast day. I wasnt hungry at 7am but thought I had to do it 12 hrs apart as I wouldnt eat at 10pm as I would be in bed as I wake at 4:30am for work. So is it ok to have breakfast at 9 or 10 and dinner around 7pm?

Hi Aldehulme and Dee, welcome to 5:2 and to the 5:2 forum,

I’m happy to answer some of your questions but just found your posts and it’s 12.40am here, downunder , and I’m super busy atm but keep going as you are, and I’ll be back in a day or so., and someone else may jump in also.

Revelation no. 1 – no you don’t have to eat breakfast.

Merry
    2 1/2 yrs, maintaining after 21kg/46lb loss

HI this is also my first fast day in fact I only start the 5.2 yesterday. I am a diabetic and wondered is you can drink Coca Cola Zero and Tonic Zero on fast days. Coke Zero actually has 1 calorie and Tonic Zero has 6 which I counted into my 500 calories for the day. Is this OK.
    I have tried several diets and last year lost 3st but unfortunately this year put it all back on after I had surgery for a liver problem, so I am hoping this will work for me and enable me to stick to it.
    Sandra.

Yes thats ok. I also drink cola zero. Not counting it. Its actually more kcal in flavored water than cola zero.

Greeting from a cold Ireland
    So I survived fast day 1 with some tummy rumbles in the evening and I will say it was hard enough as I am a night grazer.
    I am slightly hungry today but will last as long as I can with my super large coffee. If the rumbles are the only side effects I am hoping to mange this plan. Being prepared is going to be the key.. As for exercise that is a few weeks away yet as I simply don’t have the time or energy right now. I’d say it’s my frame of mind is more powerful in that area at the moment.I am waiting for the time to change and have longer evenings to be able to go for a walk. OH I AM A MASTER PROCRASTINATOR.
    Does anyone know of an APP that has the food list and calories on it?
    Figure it could be my go to bible instead of carrying the book every where.
    Have a good day folks. X

Dee – I don’t know about a specific 5:2 app but MyFitnessPal is a good app for calorie counting

So, yesterday was a non-fast day but as I said above I didn’t eat breakfast anyway.

After copious cups of water, green tea and black coffee I ate 2 rashers of grilled turkey bacon and an egg fried in coconut oil at about 2.30pm. I didn’t measure this out but am confident it was less than 300 calories, probably 200 to 250.
    Again, I felt worse after this than I had before I ate it! Grouchy mood and a bit wobbly physically.
    I’d intended going to the gym at this point but didn’t feel up to it. Tomorrow is a non fast MUST EXCERCISE day so I’ll be forcing breakfast down no matter what (holiday in 10 days, must add a bit more muscle!).

About 7pm I ate a normal evening meal – a spanish chicken thigh, chorizo and butterbean stew (no idea how many calories, probably 600+ & quite fatty) and had a few beers and my usual large bag of crisps (handcooked, no additives for what that’s worth!).

This morning I’d lost another pound and am now into my second fast day of the week (two days after the first).

I bought some Miso soup sachets yesterday which I’m going to try at about 3 to 4pm. Hoping their 30 cals take me through to one 500 to 550 calorie meal at about 7pm but I’ll go with the flow and split the calories across two meals if the Miso soup “fails”!

Then an early night and a good watch of a new series called Start Up that I began last night on Amazon Prime Video (binge watching and fasting seem a good combination).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.