Hello all — a couple of newbie questions

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  fasting_me 6 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hi all,

I started the diet this week and am currently on my 2nd day of 500 calories. I have a couple of questions, one about what’s happened so far (more important), and one about vacation planning.

Question 1 — what’s happened so far: the first fast day, I fantasized constantly about what I would eat the next day, but then when I woke up the next day, I found that I wasn’t so keen on eating, and whatever I did eat all day kind of left my stomach unsettled, and a feeling like my heart was pounding. With the “help” of tequila and tortilla chips 🙂 , I got up to 2000 calories but eating wasn’t really satisfying. Then yesterday, I worked out really hard (90 minutes) at lunch time and after that had trouble eating at all and just had a light soup and some other snacks (269 cals) for lunch. With dinner, my appetite was ok, but I ended up only consuming 1300 calories for the day even though I probably burned in excess of 750.

Which brings me to today — I thought I’d have trouble fasting today, but so far so good — I’ve even been able to concentrate and work, which was hard for me the first fast day. My concern is that I don’t want to slip into some kind of eating disorder. I assume that I should set some minimum target number of calories for my non-fast day to ensure that this doesn’t happen, and look for foods that are nutrient and calorie dense to supplement my diet on those days if necessary. Has anyone else struggled with this? What did you do?

Question 2, Vacation Planning: I have a vacation coming up the week after next. I’m debating whether to let the diet go for a week, or to try to keep on it. We’re going with friends, and I don’t want to be a wet blanket! At the same time, I don’t want to have to start over with the diet. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi ghosty and welcome to the forum. Lots of helpful experienced 5:2ers on here, who have lots of information; and lots of new people who you can learn along-side.

1. Well done on your first 2 Fast days (FDs).
    What you’re describing is normal, – thinking of food and not hungry the next morning.

No 5:2 won’t lead to an eating disorder.

The upset stomach is not usual , but could be the result of several things. The feeling of heart pounding, if medical, will be something to follow up on. It could also be an anxiety sympton, as people often describe an anxiety flutter as feeling like their heart pounding.

How was your day after your 2nd FD?
    Did the nausea or heart pounding thing happen again?

Have you read Dr Moseley’s Fast Diet book?

There is a very good introduction to 5:2 on the forum. It’s by simcoeluv. It’s excellent and I’d advise you to read his first post on that thread. I’ll get back to you with the link.

If you haven’t read a book or otherwise familiarised yourself with 5:2, you need to know that people with certain medical situations shouldn’t do 5:2. So, if those 2 symptoms persist perhaps you should get that checked out with your GP.

However, most adults can do 5:2, even with various medical conditions.

Re targets for calories:

2 non- consecutive FDs/week – 500cals for women or 1/4 of your TDEE.
    – 600 cals for men or 1/4 of your TDEE.

TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure – the number of calories your body will need in a day.

You can work out your TDEE – go to the top of the page; in the top right corner is a menu; click on The Diet; you’ll find a link to work out your TDEE. This is the amount you aim for for 5 days a week.

5 nonFDs – your TDEE.

2. This is your choice. From experience of being on the forum for so long, I think people do better to stay on 5:2 during the holidays. For some people, going off 5:2 in the early days means they don’t go back to it. Personally I’ve never had a holiday without doing 5:2 as well. This included overseas travel. Whether people think you’re a wet blanket depends on 2 things – your attitude and their attitude.

If you present your decision matter of factly, and with humour, and be consistent, you’ll be fine. Don’t try to explain it or dwell on it.

Whatever you decide, just know your strategy before you go. You can really enjoy your holiday either way.

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry
    (I’ve lost 21kgs (46 lbs) on 5:2,; been here 3 1/2 yrs, and maintaining for 1 1/2 years. It has become my way of life (W) and I intend to stay on it for life.)

Here’s the link to simcoeluv’s excellent information for newbies:

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Thanks for replying merryme. I did read the book and have no health problems. I am sensitive to epinephrine and other stimulants and have since read on this forum and elsewhere that fasting can increase norepinephrine levels in the body, which is similar to Adrenalin so I think that’s causing me some increased heart rate, and other stimulant symptoms. My heart and other health is generally good so not overly concerned—others on the forum reported palpitations and my symptoms are pretty mild. I’m going to try some stress relief teas like sweet Melissa and I will talk to my doctor.

Hi, ghosty. You mentioned ‘trying hard to eat 2000 calories’ on a Slow Day. Why? 2000 calories is a made-up number to describe a hypothetical diet of an average man.
    Many times I’ve desired a cookie or some such on a Fast Day and said, ‘I’ll eat it tomorrow’ and then didn’t want it then. Typical.
    Don’t be concerned about whether your Fast consumption is 1/4 of your Slow Day intake. Just stick to the 500-600 cals/day. Also, ignore how many calories you have burned during the day. They don’t count since you really can’t exercise-off the pounds.
    As for the vacation with friends — no need to be a wet blanket. Will you be eating all your meals out? Eat eggs for breakfast, drink iced tea at lunch, order 2 appetizers instead of appetizer + main course at dinner. Cooking at the condo? Same deal: prepare the sorts of high-protein, low carb Fast meals you’d have at home. If people ask why you aren’t pigging out, tell them that you are on the exciting English diet called 5:2 and that losing weight is your goal. Dieting and traveling are not mutually exclusive.
    Good luck, and keep us informed of your progress.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.