Hello, a Newbie, Would appreciate some advice

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Cinque 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Am looking into doing the 5 – 2 diet or the alternate day diet. I have been quite a bit overweight for a while but managed to lose two stone in two years by cutting out snacks and having smaller portions. Now I want to start losing weight again and going down to less than my thirteen stone – I am 5 foot 9 -also being healthier, hence seriously considering the 5 – 2 diet, also the alternate day fastings. The one thing I am unsure about is whether it really is necessary to do several days of fasting first, why not just do a day of eating and a day of fasting or whatever and continue with it?

Welcome Wiserlady,

There is no need to do several days of fasting first. Do the classic 5:2. Figure out which 2 days will work best to fast and keep it easy and sustainable.

If it is easiest to do a day of eating, a day of fasting and keep alternating, that is great too.

All power to you 🙂

Thank you. The idea of doing a few days of fasting first put me off, I doubt I have the discipline to stick with it. I am more drawn to the idea of just starting the diet and doing approximately 1900 calories every other day and 600 calories every other day,
    cutting down on carbs, processed, refined etc and mixing with the mediterranean diet and a generally healthier diet. I know if I set myself a high and difficult target it all fizzles into nothing. How are you getting on and how long have you been doing it?

Hello again Wiserlady,
    You are definitely on the right track.

I started 5:2 in July 2015, rather like you I had already lost weight by cutting out sugar. But I plateaued, and luckily a couple I knew were doing 5:2 and encouraged me to try it. By the end of the first day I knew it was for me!

I lost weight more slowly than most people because a chronic illness makes me very sedentary, but by November 2016 I was down to the lower end of my healthy weight range, and I have kept doing 5:2 to maintain. I can be a bit more flexible, but as soon as I am too slack my weight creeps up again. Hence my focus on keeping it easy and sustainable, so it can be a lifelong eating pattern.

Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.