Government actions on bad food needed

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Elphaba 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Having heard about the 5:2 diet and the health benefits have revolutionised my thinking, but I was also astonished to hear about the evidences that brain, heart and other diseases are directly linked with the stuff we eat, especially sugars. While it is well known that one should eat healthy, it is sometimes really hard not to eat some of that crappy food that is out there. For some people it is harder than for others to say no to say haribos. Okay, one bag of haribos won’t make you I’ll, but the point is that there is too much bad stuff out there which is sadly consumed by humans in vast amounts and that keeps businesses of bad food products alive. I think the government should take some action and ban E.g. the high sugary stuff that can be bought so easily. Sadly, many businesses only looking at making profit and the balance sheet has to look right at the end of the year. The negative impacts it has on the human body is not being considered. Though, there is a lot of alternative choice what you can buy today, but still, humanities age related diseases are probably highly related to the bad stuff that can be bought (the killer waits for you in the supermarket shelves) and therefore these bad products should not be allowed to be sold.

Yep, sugar and the food industry has a lot to answer for. I vote with my feet and my $.

Wow, I’m really conflicted about this topic.

I understand your point Svender and think it’s a shame that so much junk food is freely available today and in some cases costs less (sometimes much less) than healthy foods. I watch the TV series My 600 Pound Life and feel so sorry for the people on that show. At the beginning of the shows most of them talk about how much they hate their bodies, yet at the same time they are eating upwards of 30,000 calories a day and can’t seem to stop. I know they are extreme examples, but here in America obesity has become a real problem that needs to be addressed.

However, the Libertarian in my doesn’t want the government in my pantry telling me what I can and can’t eat. I’m a grown man and don’t need “Nanny” dictating my food choices. In my opinion, it needs to start in school; teach the children how to eat responsibly. Of course this isn’t going to completely eliminate the problem, but it might help some from going down the potato chip path. I know First Lady Obama tried with school lunches but was royally chastised for it. Maybe her approach was too extreme and she should have introduced the healthy eating choices a little more gradually.

I sure don’t know the answer, but making “Bad food” illegal may not be the best thing. It would probably just create a junk food black market. Sorry I got on a rant and the post was longer than intended. I’m interested in hearing others’ opinions.

Bronx

There is no such thing as good food and bad food. Only calories and moderation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.