From Mass, USA First Day Today

This topic contains 255 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  MassPoodleWoman 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 256 total)

• Hello!

Is it Spring yet? I will be able to have a short break from all the snow this weekend – heading to Florida :).

Today is a fast day for me. I may do M / W this week. Anyone else fasting today??

Congrats with the weight loss LacerX & Mom! Isn’t it great to have found something that works for you?? I can’t believe I’ve stopped yo-yo dieting. It became my “sport” these past 5 years. I’m really not even tempted to stop doing 5:2. I also don’t beat myself up if I only get in one fast a week, I’ve been able to maintain/lose regardless.

I’ll try to check in later on. Keep it up USA πŸ™‚

-Em

I’m fasting today…not easy..just had hard boiled egg. It’s noon now,
    will probably have an apple for lunch. Hope it keeps the appetite at bay. these days are tough. At work surrounded by goodies – ugh !
    just say NO !

Not spring here yet, already shoveled 8-10 inches of snow today. And it still snowing and there another couple of inches since I shoveled at lunch.

Today is a fast day, haven’t eaten yet. Will have soup later….

Hi to all the fasting Americans!
    I’m from Virginia and have been on the 5:2 plan since mid July last year. I just found this thread and enjoyed reading your posts. I don’t have that much to lose now and it does seem to go a bit slower the closer you get to your goal weight. I would like to lose another 10 to 15 pounds before the warm weather and bathing suit season arrives. I’m going to aim for Memorial Day as my date to achieve this. Anybody else want to join me in this challenge?

Hello – I am in MA, but am a Brit. Been here 4 years and struggling with the below zero temps we had this morning!! I would love to join you in your challenge FastTimesintheUSA – I have lost 6lbs in 5 weeks on the 5:2 but would love to lose another 10lbs and Memorial Day would be a great target. I think 10lbs may be a bit ambitious as haven’t been there since my teens probably!! I do find the FD pretty hard as all I can think about is food but I THINK they are becoming a bit easier to bear and on the other days I definitely think about what I am eating more and enjoying it more too! Next FD is Monday so I am going to enjoy the weekend! Oh and I need to lose the scales as I weigh every day and I know that is a really bad idea but I just cant seem to help it – how often do you weigh??

Good luck all, happy weekend

I try to weigh every other week but sometimes cheat and weigh every week. I am travelling for work next week so I am going to try fasting on the travel days, we will see how that goes….

I am also traveling with work next weekend and following week so could be tricky as work dinners etc! Where in MA are you MassPoodleWoman?

Foothill of the Berkshires, Huntington. How about you Janey?

All right Janey263! It’ll be great checking in with you and anyone else that wants to join the Memorial Day challenge. I don’t weigh daily as my weight tends to trend up and down too much and can be frustrating to me when I’ve done that in the past. I only weigh every two weeks, but if the scales are still stuck at my previous weight, I don’t fret too much. It sometimes takes me a whole month just to see a drop in weight. It’s like I have a loss then a stall, and sometimes another stall, before I see another loss. So I go by the way my clothes are fitting me. My jeans are a lot loser now and I’m having to rummage in the back of my closet for my “skinnier” jeans that I’ve held onto all these years. It feels so good to be able to try them on, although they’re not as loose as I would like them to be, but still being able to zip them up is wonderful.

Hi all –

I did my fasting on Wednesday and Thursday this week because of meetings I had to work around – and it really wasn’t that bad!

On a not as nice note – today was my weigh day and I’ve gained back three pounds since my lowest last week πŸ™ πŸ™ I’m blaming the bad week I had due to it being “that time” for me. πŸ™

I’m hoping this next week is better for me as far as non-fasting days. I’m feeling kind of down about it, though.

Happy Friday all! So I am in my 3rd week and just finished my 6th fasting day. I am down 7 pounds so I am happy with that, but still have a long way to go! I think this is a lifestyle that I can maintain even though I do get hungry on the fasting days – it isn’t that hard. I like that I can enjoy the weekend! MassPoodleWoman – I have been making your fish steamed in the miso broth with swiss chard on my fast days and I love it! I weigh once a week on the morning after my second fast day – I have been fasting on Mondays and Thursdays.

Also, FastTimesintheUSA, I am up for the Memorial Day Challenge!

That’s terrific Mom2coledevin! Congratulations on the 7 lbs. lost! Happy to have you along on the Memorial Day challenge. Let’s keep checking up on each other on this quest, OK?
    My fasting days are Tues. and Thurs. and find it’s easier for me not to eat until my evening meal on my fast days. Waking up my hunger with just 100 or so calories earlier in the day just makes me even hungrier. Then my tummy is rumbling the rest of the day, and all I can think about is food and how soon can I eat again. When I don’t eat anything, just drink black coffee and lemon water through out the day, stay busy, I can wait to eat until about 7pm usually. About 4pm I might have a cup of heated chicken broth. It’s just a few calories and helps me make it until my dinner time. Best of luck to you on our Memorial Day challenge!

Hi, I haven’t posted in a while, but thought I would catch up a bit.

I am in my 4th week, I think (edited–nope, third week–just feels like forever!). I haven’t had too much trouble on fasting days. I struggle more on eating days–like yesterday, I had a hard time saying no to pizza and cookies at lunch (I am a teacher, so lots of kid friendly food around, and last week I planned for it but still overindulged in Superbowl foods. Oops.) One good thing, possibly relating to regular fasting, was that I didn’t get hungry the rest of the day yesterday, so I was able to keep my calorie count down by not eating dinner, but I’d like to have more willpower!

Because I don’t do so well on “eating” days I’m doing more of a 4:3 lately. This week I fasted M-W-F (today). So far so good. Lost weight this week even though it’s my time of the month. I’m down 6 pounds since I started, so I’m pretty happy with that, but I’ve fasted extra day for the past two weeks. It’s a process, right?

Everyone sounds like they are doing great. Keep up all the good work!

Oh, and I’m in metrowest Boston area. Brrr–below zero today!

Hi KimInMA – you sound like me, get over excited on eating days – impressed you are doing 4:3!! I am in Metrowest too – Newton. How cold is it today?? Enough already!

Excited to join this group -good luck and well done to everyone!!

Hi all – hope everyone had a nice weekend! It’s a fast day for me today and doing well so far. πŸ™‚

I have the same problem @kiminma and @janey263 – I get a little too excited on my eating days. For now, I’m still losing weight but I’m sure at some point soon I’ll have to reign it in if I want to keep losing.

I’m in rainy ‘ole Oregon and it’s really proving itself today! It sure makes my nice cups of tea I have all day seem even cozier.

Hope everyone is well!!

Lacey

Hi. It is my first day today on this diet too!
    I am 55 years old and menopausal, which means I am having a heck of a time losing weight. I need to lose about 22 Kgs. In previous years, I lost all the extra weight using different diets, but then piled it all back on and then some! This is the heaviest I have EVER been, even heavier than when I was pregnant.

I read the book and decided to start this diet as it seemed very doable to me. I do not have a problem fasting.. and frankly, this does not really seem like a fast. I have just completed my Day 1 – fasting day today and feel great.

Fingers crossed!

Welcome salma – looking forward to hearing how the diet works for you! πŸ™‚

Hi everyone! I’m chiming in from Oregon (Hi LacerX!). I actually read about this diet yesterday on NPR, but I’d heard about IF a little while ago and tried it before falling completely off the wagon. Interestingly, there’s a lot of information out there but I had a hard time finding any support until I found this website. And now I’ve found the forum, so I’m looking forward to the camaraderie I hope to find here! Today was my first fast day and I’m interested in figuring out how the rest of the week will go. My husband travels for work and I have no problem cutting back when he’s away, but when he’s home we get all crazy, drinking wine and eating delicious meals out and cooking extravagantly at home. Does anyone else have this problem? Anyway, I have about 25lbs to lose, but I’m taking it a day at a time.

Hi Sanguinepenguin πŸ™‚ You are basically describing my life! We love to go out to eat and also love beer/wine (it’s nearly impossible to avoid around here).

I’m in my fourth week – did my first fast of the week yesterday and will do my second day of Thursday. I’m finding it pretty easy for the most part. I’m usually good to go up until I get home from work – then I’m suddenly ravenous and can’t get my fast meal in me soon enough. Even that’s getting better though. Yesterday was the easiest fast day so far, so that’s good. πŸ™‚

I’m used to getting a glass of wine or grabbing a beer after work so I’ve had to find something to replace that with. I’ve found that the flavored sparkling water is a nice substitute. The one I buy (La Croix) has zero calories and no sweeteners of any kind so I can drink away without guilt. I’m partial to the coconut flavored one, but they have a lot of good options. It makes me feel like I’m getting a treat (sort of) and it’s more exciting than water.

Today is a non-fast day, but I’ve felt fasted all day, which is a PITA. Because I’m a grad student, I have to get up super early for a class on Tuesdays, didn’t really get a good breakfast in, and then today had conferences with my own students for two hours right after class. I finally just ate something of any substance after fasting most of yesterday. I’m not sure I could do two fast days in a row. Has anyone tried and had success? LacerX, I also like LaCroix, but am sad that my Costco doesn’t carry it anymore. I was so spoiled. Anyway, I drank a LOT of tea yesterday, which seemed entirely appropriate due to the weather. Holy cow, that was some rain. And I know what you mean about it being hard to avoid the beer and wine. We’re members of two wine clubs here in the area, usually have at least a case at home, and a fully stocked bar. It’s not so much that I drink a lot, but I sure know how my inhibitions go all non-existent on me when I do partake. I spent a good part of last night awake and thinking of how I’m going to structure my fasting days. I’m thinking a Tues-Tues schedule to factor in my husband’s work travel… we shall see. Because I’m only on campus twice a week, it’s tough for me to stay out of the kitchen when I’m home all day the other five days and grading student papers that are sometimes less than scintillating. However, I have promised myself that I’ll give it a full 2 weeks of 5:2 before I change anything. No 4:3, no 16:8, no nothing. That will be the challenge, as I tend to get pretty overzealous and then burn myself out early on. Good luck to everyone today, fasting or not!!

Just checking in – I am in the beginning of my 4th week and fast Tuesday and Thursday. I am down about 6 pounds so that is good. My downfall like many of you is that my husband and I enjoy going out, eating good food, drinking wine and craft beer! I also adore cooking. After I long day at work, I look forward to a glass of wine.

– Hi – I totally can relate to the
    glass of wine (or two) in the evening. (I live in Nor Cal wine country)
    I find that if I just have tea I can do it, but when my hubby comes home and pours a glass it’s so hard !
    I am fasting today – really trying to stick to this way of life and hoping it
    helps drop at least 15 pounds. I am active, but I am 57 and the fat just sticks to me !!

I am on my 3rd week and am so happy to have found this group. I hope you won’t mind if I join you. I am in Kentucky and 44 and work full time. Week 1 I lost 7 lbs, week 2 I stayed exactly the same and I am hoping for a loss in week 3. I fast 2 (and a half) days a week, 500 cals on 2 days, usually Mon and Wed and 1000 cal one day, usually Fri.

I’m also a big wine fan! In fact, before 5-2 I would have a glass or 2 almost every night! The only reason u cut down was becauE I didn’t want to waste the calories although I crave often! So today is a non fast day I started off pretty well. Steel cut oatmeal for breakfast. Then 2 sushi rolls for lunch. By 430 I was ravenous! Think I ate 1000 cashews! (Not literally) but feels like I ate a ton. Then I had a hand of red hot candies that someone brought in. Ugh. I am but disgusted. I’m determined to go home and force myself to get on the treadmill with no more food. Tomorrow will be another fast day but I have lunch with an editor so guess will need to be only meal. Yikes!

hi Kygirl44 – you are doing great! good job…I would love to lose 7 in a week.
    Desperate- don’t be so hard on yourself…you said today was a non fast day, so a few cashews and red hot candies…well, why not? I really blew it this past weekend, but now back on track…we have to live now and then, which is why I like this “diet” I just hope I lose weight on it …lol

Viginialu, I think that’s what’s so appealing. The idea that if you adhere to the fast days, the other days can be a wash or not and you still can lose weight, in theory at least. I love that I don’t have to watch myself so carefully EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. This really is the first diet I can see doing as a change to my lifestyle. I have always believed that exercise was the first, if not only way to lose weight, but have realized after going through periods of intense exercise and and being burned out and gaining back every pound I lost, that I need to alter my relationship with food, then exercise for health.

Kygirl44, those seven pounds are gone!! Relish it! It’s bound to come off quickly and, when you think about it, it’s like you did seven weeks of 5:2 in one week. Don’t worry, your body has to catch up with itself!

Thanks Virginia and Sanguine, those 7 lbs were significant because they were the last of the holiday gain. I do not lose fast and can not exercise due to an injury. Started dieting in Nov 2013 and has taken all this time to shed 40 lbs. Hoping this plan will boost my metabolism. Now to join FastTimes in that Memorial day challenge and get a little less jiggly by my mid-july vacation. I am with you girls struggling with the wine. LOVE LOVE LOVE a glass after work but I gave up sugar about a year and a half ago and now only allow it about once a month. I am on my 2nd bottle of beer tonight since LSU is giving my Cats all they want tonight. Good thing game night is not a fast day. All ready for my fast tomorrow, good luck to all fasting with me on hump day.

I’m fasting today, so far so good.

Question for you folks: do you find yourself needing to actually introduce so-called “bad” foods into your non-fast days? Like, do you ever go out of your way to indulge a bit in something that is a problem for you, whatever it may be? I’ll totally admit to eating to eating a loaf of zucchini bread in a day, just because it’s there. I definitely struggle with a carb/sugar addiction and when I do go off the rails, it’s usually because I’m tired of feeling deprived.

So, I’m wondering if I should actively include these foods in my diet and not try to limit myself. Rather, I will try to keep myself on track with a food journal, not feeling deprived, and knowing that I can have those foods anytime. My hope is that instead of a loaf, I’ll be able to settle comfortably with a couple of slices.

Or, do you actively and successfully practice control over your diet, including the exclusion of whatever your trigger food is, every day?

Thoughts?

Here is what I do. I don’t tell myself I can’t have any food. I tell myself I can’t have that food today but if I really still want it on say Saturday, then I will have it. I am lucky enough that I live alone so I don’t have to worry about what foods other people want and I make a point of not bringing my trigger foods (any type of chips) into my house. That way if I really want it I have to go to a little effort to go get it. As far as tempering the amount of something I consume, I think knowing I only fast 1 day at a time helps. Then I know I can have more soon and I want to save it for then so I look forward to it and savor it more. I’m not crazy about the term “feast” day, I prefer “allowance” days and I try to limit myself to one thing or meal rather than pigging out all day. I work too hard on these fast days to blow it all in one day. Maybe if you make a loaf of bread, you can slice it up and freeze it in 2 slice packages and before you go to bed after a successful fast, you lay out one package as your reward for the next day.

HI everyone! My notifications got turned off for this thread so I just though everyone was being super quiet!

penguin – that’s too bad about your Costco not carrying them anymore! What a bummer. I noticed that my Fred Meyer doesn’t either but the New Seasons does. Not sure where else does though. Also, I actually have to tell myself it’s ok to eat taboo stuff on my non fast days. I don’t want to go too far in the other direction of limiting myself all the time or else I won’t stick to this way of life. The reason it appealed to me so much was because I could not worry about it too much except on my fasting days. I still try to be mostly good, but I think I need that occasional muffin or cookie (or beer!) to think of this as a really way of life and not just a diet I’m trying out.

I’m on my fast day today and really like the Mon/Thurs combo. That way I get two days in between fasts – I think it helps gear up for it mentally. Not that I’m finding them too terribly hard, but sometimes I can really talk myself out of things if they’re even slightly inconvenient.

It’s a fast day for me today and I’m hoping to see a loss tomorrow when I step on the scale, but worried I overdid it last night. I’ve been trying not to drink any wine or beer until Fridays and Saturdays, but having trouble with my Wednesdays, a non-fasting day. I know I can have some if I want on Wed, but I’ve been trying to cut back on the alcohol hoping it will reflect on the scale on my weigh in day. I gave in last night and had 2 beers and a glass of wine. I did stay under my TDEE for the day even with the drinking, so I’m hoping for a loss tomorrow, even if it’s a small one.

Hi Kygirl44, You’re doing great and glad you decided to join the Memorial day challenge. I’m hoping for at least 10 lbs. loss by then. Good luck on the challenge! Let’s stay in touch here on this thread about each other’s progress so we can encourage each other, and everyone else who’s join in the challenge. How are you doing Janey263 this week? Way to go mom2coledevin on the 6 pound loss! That’s awesome!

Hello FastTimesintheUSA – good to hear from you, I did the exact same thing, had 3 small glasses of wine as we went to a basketball game and were in a suite so the bottle was just there for me to help myself to!! Think I was just over my TDEE for the day, 2nd FD this week today and I have been so good as have been starving all day – saving up for tonight. I still cant help weighing every day which is driving me crazy as I go up and down all the time of course! I am off to NYC on Sat for 3 days on business so no scales but will be hard to stick to FD – just need to remember to have things in moderation! I haven’t really lost since the first 4 weeks so I am hoping things start moving in the right direction soon – should probably measure to see where that’s headed

Mom2coledevin – 6lb loss is amazing – well done you!

Hi Kygirl44 – good to have you on the Memorial Day challenge….right now this seems an impossible task for me but wont give in!

Good luck with weigh in tomorrow!

I’m having a harder time this week– I think the novelty has worn off. Also having too many fast days at home with all the snow we’ve been getting here in the Boston area. I’m still trying to do 4:3 so that I don’t have to be as “good” on the eating days. LacerX, I agree with the “that’s why I’m doing this diet”–so I don’t feel like I have to give up everything good forever. I’m glad I have never enjoyed beer or wine that much, especially at home. I might have some out to dinner or at a party, but don’t really have much around the house. Sounds really hard for some of you that are struggling with that. Also, we are not big cooks here. I make dinner for the family (2 boys, middle school and husband) but nothing very exciting or fancy! I don’t often eat what they eat anyways, as I have been vegetarian (pescatarian) for a few years and they are not, so I eat different stuff often anyways. I still struggle with avoiding the junk and sweets that they have around!

Anyone have plans for Valentines Day, either avoiding or scheduling special treats or dinners?

Janey263, you should do fine if you stay under your TDEE while in NYC. Will you be trying to do a fast day while you’re there? The beauty of this plan is you can move your fast day to another day in the week if you need to, such as a special occasion or in your case, going out of town.

Hi guys!

I live in NYC and have to socialize and travel lots for work. I also have a husband and kids so there is Always junk in my house! πŸ™‚ I hear a good tip to do while traveling. Try to skip one meal a day. I’m planning juat to have coffee at group breakfasts. That way I can tell myself I can join group eating lunch and dinner. Extremely difficult!

Just did my weigh in for today and decided I need a digital type of scale. I got on and off 5 times with the weight going between 154 and 153, either a no loss or a 1 pound loss. Decided to take it as half a pound loss and go buy a digital scale today so I can keep a better record of my weight loss progress. Decided to take my measurements too, finally. I had been just going by how much looser my clothes were fitting to let me know I’ve been losing inches. Pulling out the smaller jeans from the back of the closet and being able to zip them up was a great feeling. But if the scale isn’t moving as much now perhaps I’ll be able to see changes in my measurements on my weigh in day. Now to go do some online research on a digital scale. Hope everyone has a good day and a good weekend. Personally, I’m going to try not to overdo it on Valentines Day.

Fasttimes – my weekend is actually looking pretty crazy already. I have a birthday party I’m going to tonight that is dinner at one bar and then on to another bar for drinks – so that will be a bit tough. And then for Valentine’s my husband is making us filet mignons with bΓ©arnaise sauce (which he’s very good at). I might just have to fast an extra day next week. 😐

I’m down a total of 10 lbs as of this morning (4 weeks completed). Looking forward to the next ten!

Congratulations Lacerx! that’s fantastic! I’ve been doing 5-2 since Jan 2nd–about 6 weeks and only down 5 or 6 pounds so far. Someone in the thread mentioned that their notifications shut off. Same with mine! I’m never notified now but I was when I started…any suggestions?

desperate – yes, there’s a little box below the comment box when you’re typing that says “notify my of follow-up replies via email”. I think you have to check that box every time you post a reply otherwise you become unsubscribed. In fact, it just happened to me again this morning when I posted my last reply!

There’s also a link that says to click it in order to subscribe to the topic without posting a reply, so if you become unsubscribed but don’t want to post something at that moment, you can just click there instead.

Also – 5-6 pounds is still awesome! That’s about a pound a week, which I think is the recommended loss for people if I remember correctly. Nice work!

Hey everyone! Back on the forum after spending yesterday soothing hurt college student feelings and sitting in the library for 6 hours straight. If nothing else, it kept me out of the snack food!

Yesterday was a non-fast day and today is the same. Wednesday was my last fast day for the week and I am totally understanding what people say about the non fast days being the hardest. I slept well but woke up early at 5:15, lounged around in bed for a while (I don’t work on Fridays) and then had an apple, a bowl of oatmeal, and a cup of tea. Unfortunately by 9:30 I was starving again, so I just ate what should have been my lunchβ€”a flour tortilla with cheese, tuna, and a big mushroom sliced over it. I’m really trying to restrict my restrictions, if that makes sense, but it’s disheartening to be so hungry and feeling so conflicted about eating. I hope (like we all do!) to see a number on the scale that reflects the hard work I’m putting in.

LacerX – awesome job on the 10 lbs! And the Valentine’s dinner sounds fantastic. My husband is out of town so I’m going to a sparkling wine event at Anne Amie vineyard tomorrow. Booze and chocolate, what could possibly go wrong???

Oh, and this: it might seem a bit preemptive, but I decided to keep a public food journal and blog about my experience with 5:2. I used to keep a shared Google document running with my friend and I found that having someone else there to see my journal really motivated me to stay committedβ€”kind of like having a workout buddy. So even though she’s not participating in this (though I wish she were; our conversations on that document were hysterical) I’m attempting to do kind of the same thing. Obviously, there’s not much to it as I’ve only just started, but here it is: https://livingthe52life.wordpress.com/

Traveling this week for eork. I am planning on fasting on travel days and did a total fast on Sunday due to delayed flights and no time to grab a salad over layover. Today will be second fast day as again it is a full travel day. Leaving Sacramento to LAX then O’Hara then a 3 hour drive. My day will end around 12:30 or 1 AM as it did on Sunday. Wish me luck today as it will be a long day.

Good luck MassPoodleWoman!! πŸ™‚ I hope you have a wonderful weekend! πŸ™‚

Sending lots of good thoughts your way, MPW! When you feel weak, come here and we’ll support you!

Today’s weigh in has me another pound down. That is a total of 8 in 3 weeks. LacerX great job on that 10 lb loss. That is awesome. Good luck with that travel Poodle, hope you don’t have any problems with all that snow. I wish all you ladies a special Valentine’s Day. Mine is going to be perfect. My cats play at 2 today and if they stay undefeated that would be a great gift and then I get to have dinner with my favorite person in the entire world, my 5YO grandson!

I hope all of you have the Valentine’s day you want!

Hi everyone! Hope everyone had a good weekend! We got some very nice sunshine and pretty warm temps which I tried very hard to take advantage of (specifically drinking a beer with the sun on my face). Now, back to being responsible πŸ™‚

kygirl44 – 8 pounds is great! Nice job! I hope your visit with your grandson was perfect.

Poodle – I hope your traveling all went well!!

Back on the wagon today – fasting today and Thursday this week. Doing well, even though I just got my 5 box delivery of GIRL SCOUT COOKIES delivered to me an hour ago!! πŸ™ πŸ™ They’ll be sitting next to me the rest of the day – calling to me I’m sure. Must be strong!

Oh, I meant to also say that sanguinepenguin – I read your blog and it’s so well written! I’ll bet that having that avenue to track and blog will be so nice and helpful. πŸ™‚ I enjoyed reading it.

LacerX, thanks very much for reading, and for your kind words. And it is helpful πŸ™‚

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 256 total)

You must be logged in to reply.