Freefalling – thump! Ouch. Where on earth am I?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Freefalling – thump! Ouch. Where on earth am I?

This topic contains 62 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Freefalling 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 63 total)

• G’day!
    Firstly – Facts and figures!
    Number of times logged onto the forum but said nothing – 3
    Number of weeks since registering on the forum – 8
    Number of times per day that I ‘peek’ at the forum – 2
    Number of weeks I have been ‘peeking’ – 22

Question 1: Why do I keep Peeking?

•The forum has been immensely informative.
    •Watching you all scrap it out in forum fights is amusing.
    •I am the only person I know that is ‘doing’ this ‘thing’ and it’s lonely.
    •No one BELIEVES me. My One & Only (henceforth to be known as O&O)is the only one who believes 5:2 works but only coz he can see and feel it!
    •I sense a group of very real, very different, very interesting people here who are creating community.

Question 2: So why don’t I SAY something?

•This forum is far more informative than I am.
    •All that has been said has been said and said and said.
    •I have nothing new to add.
    •There is nothing worse than adding to the clamour like when a chicken lays an egg and the whole flock goes off.

Question 3: What would I say if I DID say something?

•Probably very little and no doubt, too much.
    •My beliefs have been/are being challenged by 5:2.
    •For over 25 years I have believed doctors, experts, family and friends. Now with 5:2 I can begin to say they were all wrong, and I was wrong to believe them!
    •If you are looking for empowerment, you will find it here, on this forum.

General info so that you know I am not a sock puppet!

I live on a heart shaped island in a temperate climate.
    Our island is wild and unique but also partly colonised and civilised.
    It is full of highly creative and exciting people with a unique history and a rather unique sense of belonging.
    I have birthed and raised 5 children to adulthood. All their nutrition and education was provided by me, at home. We grew all our own food and our own brains as well. That was then…
    I am now in a perfect little city cottage, I have two Grandlies, my wonderful O&O, a motorcycle life, a green parakeet and a nice old dog. I am a textile artist/designer, handweaving is my speciality.
    Hello to you all!
    Please excuse my over- sized intro but I feel I owe you that as I have been stalking you all for so long!

Haha well no excuses needed, I enjoyed reading every letter of it!

I think a welcome isn’t exactly in place, but… keep it up 😉 How have your results been like? And if someone new came to the forum and your post was the FIRST thing they saw… what would you tell them?

Cheerio,
    Nika

Hi Freefalling, welcome. Great to get such in depth info from you. We all welcome your input, you will be required reading believe me. It has been said elsewhere that many posts are just peoples experiences re-gurgetated. This is not so. We all, and I, need each others help and support on our journey with 5:2 so please, give us as much as you can.
    Good luck.

@freefalling
    “•There is nothing worse than adding to the clamour like when a chicken lays an egg and the whole flock goes off.”

I’ve never heard that anology before. I don’t know if I would be able to re-use it in my world since we never see live chickens or flocks. Pigeons, yes, chickens, only at a farm zoo.

I have heard the expression CLAH, Cacking Like A Hen, which probably brings the expression, CLAR, Crowing Like A Rooster.

I would think that there are worse things then the whole flock goes off somewhere.

I know, for me, some of my flocks and I have parted ways.

Growth or time or fasting happened, you know.

Welcome and what a great intro!
    I too am raising 5, only one has reached adulthood, the next is a few months off.
    I have been peeking for about 2 weeks …..joined today.
    Fasted today after a disastrous fast 3 weeks ago that I hated and vowed to never do again. But I caved and decided I could try one more time and be organised re foods ( didn’t have many fresh veg or salads in the house las time, this time I was ready!)

So well done you and will enjoy reading about your journey.

I too am on an island,
    But an island that is now in spring.

Nicola in nz

Free falling
    You are not alone, loved your intro and thought I’d add my own.
    I too am guilty as charged for those crimes and find that I too have become a stalker.
    I find myself rading the forums for inspiration especially as I havn’t had too much success myself.
    Keen to know how it’s working for you?

I’ve been on this WOL for the last 2 months and find the scales not moving for me and that is disheartening but understand this is not uncommon. I feel like I’ve maybe lost some inches but i’m too scared to measure because if that hasn’t changed I may give up.
    I have tried various approaches to 500 in a day am currently fasting all day with oolong tea and water followed by a meal in the evening. It is still a callenge and not too easy for me as some find it. Also waiting for the bounds of energy to kick in that some have boasted about.
    If I get no weightloss results in the next 2 weeks will resort to 4:3, see if that works. X

All the stalkers are coming out of the cyber walls

Hey Saffy,

Don’t get too disheartened! How much are you eating on your normal days? And are you exercising? This can help you burn fat, but also build muscle – which is heavier than fat so may help keep the scales up!
    How far from your goal are you?

Hello!
    Thank you all for your very warm welcome. I very much appreciate that.
    @nika you lovely bubbly thing! I read your story and am impressed! You are an inspiration, having lived more life than many in 22 or so years and now taking on the world. Your early life, for all its tricky bits has made you and you shine right off the screen in your writing, wow!
    You ask about my results so far, so here it is…but it feels a bit like taking my clothes off in public…..

I saw MM on tv one night. I was just settling into fat, old and fifty, coz nothing worked and nothing would shift the weight and they all said too late you will hit menopause any day now and then it will be all over for you.
    How I raged inside, wanting that to be wrong but an honest look at my body told me they were right. MM started going on about some fasting thingo, I started to listen, what grabbed me was his typical male approach, he wanted something that worked but didnt take him too far away from the life he was enjoying.

Men always find the quickest easiest ways around things dont they? Ha ha.

From that moment I was hooked. BUT totally unbelieving. What harm could it do? I was already NOT going to a gym I was paying good money to go to. I was already frustrated and angry that I couldnt have wine, coffee, pizza. That I had to fuss over menus when eating out. That I couldnt join my O&O in happy indulgence. So I jumped in immediately.

Only being an unbeliever I decided to quit the gym, deliberately NOT exercise and indulge in my favourite eating habits with my darling O&O. I was going to test the concept outrageously. Was this just MM spin or was it truth??

I started 22 weeks ago. 85 kgs / 170lbs. I am 170cm tall.
    sticking to my no work outs-indulgence plan on regular days. the results have been on the slow side. But I have results that have changed my world.
    Now 73kg / 146lbs. Throwing out my big clothes. wearing dresses for goodness sake. Fitting in my tiny shorts!!
    Measurements have shrunk! 14cm/5+ inches from my waist. 12cm/4+ inches from hips. 8cm/ 3+inches off thighs. My weight was freefalling 🙂

I promise you I stubbornly continued to enjoy our ice cream, beer and pizza and nights out. Chocolate and coffee too. And I am STILL in shock. If this is what can happen when I am stubborn, what could be achieved if I clean up my act a little??

No one could call me fat now. Most people think I am at least 10 years younger than I am. My hair hasnt really started to grey yet. And finally I have the techniques I can use to control, monitor and tweek my health and weight.

I am still so ridiculousley excited!!

Oh my goodness! We are the same height, I’m at your 85 weight..47, no real grey ( the odd 10 I pull out) and 5 people came out of us, and you got into the 70’s!??? Wow,
    I haven’t been there for at least 8 yrs.
    Fantastic!!!

People must be shocked at your eating habits!!!

You are my inspiration.

( and ps a kilo of fat and a kilo of muscle is still a kilo. Muscle isn’t heavier, it’s smaller…that’s all, but it’s still the same weight)

Thank you @couscous for encouraging my regurgitations…you may be sorry tho.
    Hello @rockyromero…sorry you have no true life chicken experiences, I have a farmyard full of experiences. You may not have heard that analogy before for good reason – I only made it up myself sorry haha!

Hey Dumpling, you sound so…yummy hehe.
    So I have a twin out there hmmm. How many boys and how many girls have we between us?
    Terrible eating habits I know.. but so far I have got away with it.
    I did have a no weight loss period of a month. This may interest you @saffy
    I had read on this forum that it can happen. I was about to have holidays so for two weeks I abandoned all fasting. When I weighed in after hols I had still lost 1/2 a kg…so I must have been both pigging out AND extra active because I was on holidays. Either way it started things happening in the right direction. Now I think I may have to tweek a little. I think the overweight weight comes off okay but the closer I get to my youthful weight, about 65 kgs the slower the loss. But I figure I still have summer coming (more outdoor activities) and less pigging out on stuff to turn to. So who knows. I am deliriously happy as I am, so long as I dont go UP the scale.

Hey @saffy
    Hello! Please measure soon 🙂
    I did not lose weight this week. So i measured. 1 more cm off my waist and 4 off my hips! I couldnt tell. but there it was. yay!
    Maintaining weight has got to be as clever as losing.
    4:3?? scarey!
    I did once try back to back. I had to miss my Monday so I did Tues & Wed instead. Not only did it drain me but I didnt lose anything :-/
    So now if I have to miss my Monday then I do just one day that week.
    I am very easy on myself arent I? 😀

I have 3 boys and then 2 girls at the end.
    So between us I know we have 10. Maths is my thing, not!!

Fantastic,when did u start?

Hahaha @dumpling I have 3 girls with 2 boys at the end!!

They should marry.
    I have 23, 17, 15, 12,11
    Shall we talk dowry?

Thank you and hello @optomist I started at the end of May this year.
    I am a very patient person and enjoy journeys more than final results. Life is just too wonderful to waste on an end result. There’s so much to do along the way!

So funny but not so funny @dumpling. I have 28 mother of 1 and separating from hubby 🙁 26 and behaving abnormally normal. 23 and completely mental mother of 1 and canned wedding to perfect man and left him with the bub! 🙁 the boys are 22 &19 and are still just boys for now phew! So not good prospects I’m afraid!! For more reasons than I can say 2013 will be the year to forget family wise!!

Hey Freefall, thanks for your kind words! I haven’t been called lovely or bubbly in a long time (can’t remember ever being called bubbly) so thanks! I’d thank you for every single thing you said afterwards but I’ll just refrain and say another thank you from the heart 😉 It’s stuff like that that keep me going through the less fun times here in China. And maybe I’m shining off the screen because I can finally communicate in English again!

And well, taking your clothes off at 73 kilo must feel a helluvalot better than at 85 😉

Dumpling you talk about your kids like cattle xD “I have a couple calfs and piglets. They’re 23, 17, 15, 12, 11 months. Let’s haggle.”
    Also how about the 23 one, cute?

11 mths…gee,I hope not!

They are kind of farmyardy. Smell quite bad….

The oldest seems to never be short of mates and has ladies hanging on to every word but he is in Perth doing sports science at uni ( pe teacher, he plays rugby) so maybe he isn’t too bad.
    He is pretty solid, likes the gym, 6 FT, but the next brother is 6 FT 2 so he is not impressed with that.
    But I haven’t seen him for 2 yrs, so the photos he posts on fake book might be doctored…he is probably a bald hobbit by now.
    If I could upload a photo I would my friend.
    ( there might be one on google..I should look and send you the link! I will…..off to check. Maybe some cricketing link mentioning him etc)

Hahaha that’s okay, I kind of swing the other way. And definitely not towards bald hobbits…
    It’s so weird, being in China for 2 months and I’m starting to forget I was gay (decided not to tell anyone here because, well, they’d think I’m crazy)

Oh, well…you wouldn’t care how tall or muscular he was then! ( unless you are a bloke;)

Nope! I can still enjoy a muscular bloke from time to time, but that’s just because I can admire the hard work people put into their bodies. It’s like saying “Wow, that’s a beautiful tree” without the immediate urge to start a romantic relationship…

Well I found him, first image when I put his name in and then Maidstone rugby!
    http://www.vivid-host.com/maidstonerugbyclub/player_profiles_3.html
    Second one down.

Was 3 yrsa go, he has changed a bit,.more of a man now. He looks like a little boy there!
    He went to England for an OE

If I was a chick…I wouldn’t be interest, as he is always hungry

Sorry, hi jacked the thread. Resume normal transmission.

Oh dear, that bottom one looks positively terrified of the camera.
    Anyway, nice boy you got! He also looks a bit cranky, but that comes with being 20 I guess 😉

Teehee and yeah let’s get back on track.

Okay you hi jackers @dumpling and @nika time for a confession. There are two more children! But I didn’t birth them. His are mine and mine are his! 21 boy, taken by an alien. Seriously. We haven’t seen him all year. Innocent. Dum. He was groomed on the Internet by an American girl. He promised to marry her before he even met her. He went over there. Married her. Moved home. Got herself pregnant as soon as she could. Went back to her family while waiting permanency here. Came back. Baby due in December. We will never meet the grand bubby let alone see our boy again as she has a controlling personality disorder of the worst kind. It’s killing our family. BUT there is treasure at the end of the rainbow! Our girl 23 is so normal and our deep joy. She lives with her girlfriend and they are a wonderful couple who know the value of family.
    NOW – to the Fast Diet!
    Holiday here today. So I am not fasting!!
    I actually miss it. I think the fast diet reshape a more than just your body!
    Happy Holiday!

Sounds like you guys got a baby boom going on!!
    I have 3 boys who have been off school all week and wanting to eat all day long. So I’ve done lots of baking + 1had a birthday today so lots of indulgence I’m afraid. Sort of looking forward to my fast day tomorrow, may have over eaten today in apprehension to the fast day approaching. I generally keep well below my TDEE, although this is a recent new discovery for me. I exercise at least 3 times a week and generally walk and try to keep active. I also think that though I’m keeping within my calorie count my non fast days are carbs heavy so will intro more veg into my diet. Will weigh in tomorrow, may even measure up. Currently at 85kg (5ft4), would love to be 65kg but right now would be happy in any weight reversal.

Freefalling, that sucks!
    I’m sure one day he will be back, when she kicks him out or he ups and leaves…or they both come to their senses and realise you guys are needed in their lives.
    Hang in there…things will be ok later.
    We have a few kids then between us!!

Saffy I told my mate to do 2 days no wheat/ white sugar and walk 20 mins those days, and in a week she lost 2.9 kilo.
    Maybe wheat and sugar are actually evil! So maybe on non fast days try 2 days no wheat and sugar, but as much food as you like, just no wheat and sugar.
    I have told her to do it for a month and see if that also works. No calorie counting just cutting those 2 things out.
    Then we will write a book and make $4.76

Haha hey Saffy, that sounds just like me (currently 85 but love to be 65).

And @freefall, I think it’s cool how you say “our girl is so normal, living with her girlfriend” ^^
    But that other dude… not sure where his mind is. Hope you end up seeing your grandkid someday…

@saffy @dumpling @nika I so wanna be 65kg!! But that has surely got to be in the realm of fantasy for me!
    So glad I had my boys last. If it was the other way round I’d have stopped at only 2!
    Boys are so busy!
    Thanks @dumpling and @nika for the encouragement. Been such a hard year. Thought trying fast diet this year would be a fail but instead it has given me a good diversion and a feeling of control over something.

Haha @dumpling didn’t see your post, mine popped underneath 😉 Wheat and suger are pure carbs, and if you give your body plenty of carbs to burn it won’t start on your fat. So yes, cutting out some carbs is good for you in my opinion! You don’t have to cut ALL of them (as I’m doing right now, crazy, right?) but keeping an eye on how much you’re taking in (especially sugar) can make a difference.

@freefall I can respect that it’s been a hard year, I can’t imagine a person that you’ve created, fed and molded would just up and leave like that. I’m not sure whether I’ll ever have kids (being gay and all that) but if they would do that to me I’d probably hunt them down, kick their partner in the head, drag them back home and lock them in the basement until they promised never to leave me again… (Good film idea, don’t you think?)

It could be sold with our book

Haha @nika & @dumpling film AND book. Believe me after the babe is born we may yet make another, yes another, family invasion of their home. We just can’t bring ourselves to upset a pregnant mummy. Time will come.
    BTW I have found that being on the Fast Diet has completely removed my desire for carbs. I had pasta last night for the first time since Easter! Better book a publisher @dumpling!

Pasta…since Easter? Are you mental…why?
    Pasta rocks. I do a mean carbonara with cream cheese and bacon and stock, no eggs or cream. Use low fat cream cheese and it ain’t too fattening!
    No spag Bol?
    Did you like it?

Can’t stop laughing! Original stalker. Me, only 2 children, boy then girl, but 5 grandkids , bgbgb, it’s turtles all the way down. By the way, we are all on an island- some are just bigger than others.

Hello @piper u did well! 5 from 2. I only have 2 from 5!
    @dumpling I telled you already. My body just hasn’t wanted any pasta. Weird I know. I only had it last night coz my frozen meatballs turned to mush!

Hmmmmm pasta… I guess it works that way, my mind wants to eat foods I can’t at the moment 😛 However real pasta is really expensive here in China because they have to import it.. And don’t get me started on pasta sauce, it’s more expensive than buying a wheel of cheese around here.

All you guys talking about children… I’m old enough to BE one of them xD

But that is your charm @nika you are nice to me even tho I am 50!! I appreciate that!
    Must be weird living in another world. Without your usual habits to fall back on. Don’t know if I would like that or not. Do u cook for yourself there? Or buy your meals?

I cook for myself, because I can’t order food in Chinese. There is this one place where I don’t have to speak in order to order, but that’s a noodle place and I’m cutting carbs at the moment… Besides eating noodles every day, meh.
    I just bought a new pan which allows me to fry foods, before I only was able to cook because of my bad materials here x)

Dumpling! Recipe!!!? I love cabonara, haven’t made it in about 9 years though!! Yum yum 😀

Ooow, another thread high jack is a cumin!
    So turn away, all those not ‘ wanting pasta’ ( what the….!??)

I use to scramble mine, so stopped…so then found this one
    Cook 450 grams pasta, spirals, fettuccine ( I find penne nicest, it gets coated well) or spaghetti as per usual

In a fry pan add

200 grams bacon or turkey / chicken rashes chopped and fried for 5 mins
    Add 1 onion chopped and 2 cloves garlic or whatever amount, and
    150 MLS chick stock.
    Bring to boil, cover, simmer 5. MinsTill tender

Add 150 ml dry white wine, but I add water as don’t drink,
    And reduce by half
    whisk in 200 /250 grams cream cheese ( 1 tub) ..low fat or fully lardie. I use full lardie, as the fat has the minerals and vitamins in it
    If you are finding it a little on the ‘ not much sauce side’ add more water. I prob double the above water/ stock amounts, cos. I like a lot of sauce, but just be aware. Once pasta is added IT IS TOO LATE to add more liquid.

Squeeze some coriander in from those tubes if you want, or parsley. But optional.

Stir through pasta.

Never ever fails
    It feeds 5 -6 easily

But eat as soon as you throw pasta in , cos it dries out if sits around.
    Prepare up to ‘ add cream cheese’ and do cream cheese at last minute if you want to prepare ahead.

I love the taste..like cheese cake!! ( well, not quite , but has that cream cheese flavour )

Resume normal starving chat

Hi guys
    today is my fast day and those words of encouragement have been really helpful.
    Yes recipes are always handy to try new things.

I think it just works for me having all boys, if a girl was in the equation i think i’d realise just how messy and lazy they are and end up resenting them. I do miss girly things. Too much testosterone in my house, all football and top gear!! But I’d be lost without them, they’re 15, 13, 10 and i try hard to maintain a friendship/ parent relationship, my fear is to loose them. Love the idea of the book, could also be sold as a documentary to kids- “What will happen to you if you ever dare to leave your parents”!!!!

My biggest motivation in the 5:2 are my boys. even though its not helping me to loose weight(which i want to do desperately) i’m hoping that all else fails i will ultimately live long and healthily to be there for my kids. I’d hate to burden them with me and i hope never to get diabetes, Alzheimer’s

I do already avoid wheat though usually only in bread form, will now cut out other wheat too.
    Sugar is harder not that i have loads, though i did yesterday as an exception (argument with hubby, found myself munching sweets to stop myself having a real go at him). But i do enjoy a little something sweet at the end of a meal i.e. biscuit, so would love a substitute for that.

Have any of you tried the “zero noodles” as a alternative to pasta?

Hey Saffy, how about some fruit instead of sweets? They also contain sugars but natural ones, in combination with vitamins and all kind of stuff.

The carbs I’m taking in are from fruit, veggies and some yoghurt at times. Maybe it can give you that little boost…

Thanks Nika, I think I’d forgotten about the dangers of sugar.
    I must announce I think I reached a mile stone. Finally regardless of the binge out at the weekend the scales have moved in the right direction.
    Suddenly a massive 2kg, from nothing for weeks to finally weight loss. I wanted to jump up and down but still couldn’t quite believe it. Persuaded myself to measure my waist and I’ve lost 4inches…..think I’m in shock.
    It really does work all that you guys said was true, I see a light at the end of my tunnel. X

oh @saffy !!!!! YAY OH YAY!!! Well done YOU!!
    That is SO good. Thanks for letting us know. It is really helpful knowing you faced the challenge and are winning. Keeps me on track.

Fantastic news!! Well done and got a love that sort of loss. 4 inches..wow.
    And yay scales are moving south

Nice Saffy! Congrats on this milestone, and don’t forget to be bloody proud on what you’ve accomplished and stuck with it even when it seemed dire! (Ok now I’m being dramatic). Still very, very happy for you though!!

Hey your post gave me a laugh, and a half, and I certainly recognised a fair bit of myself in your story too. Not the kid count though, I have three girls at the tween stage, so all the agony to come I’m sure-esp as my sister in law has been there done that with so far 2/3 and had similar adult children(what the*%#¥were they thinking)issues!
    At first the heart shaped, temperate island led me to think you might be from somewhere approx 42degrees south? Valhalla ring any bells for you? Nevermind, I’m not born to this small island identity and I often struggle with it, though I’ve been here for the term of my eldest daughters natural life.. It’s still not ‘home’. Like in most things i start well, but lack staying power, SAS( Short Attention Span)and though I’ve not tried every diet on the planet as some have- i have tried following current theories and steadily the weight has crept on. I’ve probably waiting for the one that makes the most sense…as this 5/2 one does. Previously though, I have fallen into the “if I exercise rabidly for 60-90 mins a day, I will lose the weight”… never have! Only ended up with plantar fasciitis and more recently a broken ankle….which I will blame on 42 degrees south for not having access to Sun/Vit D compounded by my total cover up when in the sun tactics (because I ticked most boxes for skin cancer!) Again, never mind as i now can add, breast cancer, bowel cancer, osteoarthritis, diabetes, to the family tree of disease.
    So the part of Michael Moseley’s show i saw really appealed especially because diabetes seems a dead cert if I continue on like this and I found myself saying out loud the other day that I didn’t care…about my future health when clearly I do but feel like I belong to a generation of guinea pigs where nothing is what it seems…since I left school, the whole low fat mantra became de rigour, then the eat mostly carbs, now its paleo all the way…being a bit educated I’ve tried to inform myself but ended up more confused than ever…and I’m starting to hate food…despite living in a country where fresh food is accessible and multiculturism should mean fantastic choices of flavour, not bastardised versions of cuisine we’ve not adapted to over generations(pasta I’m talking to you!)
    Anyway, freefalling, just wanted to say i appreciated your humour and candour and I love a chunk of writing you can get your teeth into… Especially if it gets me out life/of the kitchen/ for a bit. Good luck. I’ll do a fast day tomorrow, Thursday, should be a piece of cake(metaphorically) as I restricted myself to one/two small meals when I broke the ankle…just put more on since!

Good luck Persey, hope this WOL (way of life) starts shifting things for you! Keep us posted, you can also make your own thread to track your progress and receive tons of encouragement from everyone 😉

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply.