Fatfingers

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  FatFingers 6 years ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• Hello, I’m Fatfingers and I’m a newbie!

I started the 5:2 approach to eating about 7 weeks ago, and have lost nearly a stone so far, even managing a small loss over the festive period. It has been fantastic!

Some information about me: I’m female, 57, just over 5’7″ tall, and now weigh 13st 3lb (I started off at 14st 2lb). My experience so far is that it’s been easier to complete a fasting day than I’d expected. On my non-fasting days, I find I naturally gravitate towards healthier food and smaller portions, mainly because I dread the thought of undoing all the good work done on the fasting days! However I have allowed myself the odd treat now and again on the non-fasting days – a slice of chocolate cake, a glass of wine, and once (whisper it) 2 pints of lager with a curry – but that was a one-off!

Now, I just have 2 questions which I’m hoping you can help me with, please. Firstly, I wonder what should my target weight/BMI should be? I have (I think) an exceptionally large frame – my wrist measures 7.5″ and I take a UK size 9.5 shoe. My head and hands are so large that I cannot find ladies’ hats and gloves to fit me. My knees measure 17″, my neck is 14.5″, my thighs are 25″ and my waist is 36″. As I mentioned in my profile, I’d like to be able to wear my wedding and eternity rings again. I clearly have a way to go yet on the 5:2 programme, but I wonder what I should be aiming for?

Secondly, I wonder if there are any self-help groups in my area that focus on the 5:2 philosophy that I could join, or how do I go about starting one? The ones I see advertised (and recommended by my GP surgery) are the large, branded, corporate ones that don’t appeal to me (you know who I’m talking about!). I feel it would be helpful to join in with a local group that meets face-to-face.

Any advice would be most welcome. And good luck and happy new year to all!

Thank you

You have made a great start! Well done and welcome.

Knowing what your target should be is tricky. I kept changing my mind about that, moving it up and down a lot. I think I have now reached a weight that ought to be right but time will tell. I am 52, 5ft 8.5 and don’t fit into ladies gloves hats or shoes either nor coats as the shoulders are too narrow, I need men’s medium for movement and for arm length too. I used to think I had a large frame and that I should aim for the upper end of the scale but have reached the lower end instead. I think the best thing to do is to take reachable milestones as mini-goals and focus on them and on improving your health and gut flora and see if your body readjusts itself to a point of equilibrium that you are happy with. I have been happy with the number a couple of times but kept losing anyway, which is nice. I am now ten stone and very very pleased with that number. I feel so much better and younger like this.

Hi,

Why don’t you aim for the weight you were when your wedding ring fitted?
    As for BMI, it should be 25 or less.

I second fatrabbit’s advice regarding setting mini-goals and improving health and gut flora.

Hello fatrabbit and Amazon, and thank you for your replies.

Yes, I agree, it makes sense to set an interim goal and then take things from there. Especially as I feel sure it will get harder to lose, the closer I get to my ‘target’ weight. So my target for now is 68kg, or 10st 10lb, the weight I was when I got married. That feels realistic and achievable, even if it takes me the whole of this year to get there.

Fat(or not!)rabbit, I have read your account of your journey, and it has been truly inspirational! Well done to you! It is interesting that you reached a point you were happy with, then lost some more. I have actually slightly exceeded my initial target, which was 10lb by Christmas. I think this was because I was focusing more on completing the fast days than on the weight loss per se. I have been enjoying the benefits of improved mood, greater motivation and more energy. Just delighted with the results so far!

This WOL really makes me consider what I am eating, even on the NFDs. For the first time, I am keeping a digital scale on my kitchen counter and weighing absolutely everything. It really makes me realize how many calories are in even the little things I eat.

I have never been much of an exerciser, but I am trying to change that. I signed up for the Plank Challenge and added a Squat challenge (I can feel that in the buns!) Also, signed up for a short course of Reformer Pilates. It’s the only exercise I sort of like, but is quite expensive for the long tern. In addition, I am trying to take longer walks and get closer to 10000 steps. My dog is very happy about that!

Thanks to whoever started the Plank Challenge. I can already feel a tightening in my core. (Faster results when you start from super flabby!)

@fatfingers: I am a newbie this month. My initial weight and goal weight are identical to your current weight/goal. Only slight differences—I am 5’9” and 63 years old.

I am so happy to have found this community. I live in the mountains west of Denver, Colorado in an area where it seems like everyone is really athletic, thin and super fit. It’s so nice to find the friendly support on this forum!

Welcome to the forum and to the 5:2 way of life, fatfingers and JR_CO!

I’ve been eating the 5:2 way since I first read about it in May of last year. It made so much sense to me. I’ve just reached my goal of 130 pounds with an additional 2 pounds for “wiggle room” as I begin maintenance. Maintenance for me is the same two 500 calorie FD per week, but maybe going to 1 if I lose too much more. Or maybe I’ll just eat more on NFDs. I’m 68. Age doesn’t seem to matter much with this way of eating.

Fatfingers, using the weight you were on your wedding day sounds like a good idea, if you were happy at that weight. Lots of people on these forums have changed their target weights as they went along. Sometimes it takes a while for your remaining fat to settle in and rearrange itself. A couple pounds per week is a nice amount and will give your body plenty of time to adjust. The loss does slow down as you get closer to your target, simply because the amount of calories you need to maintain a lower weight is less. There is an online calculator for this site here where you can figure out your TDEE, which is the appropriate amount of calories you need to maintain your present weight: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/
    I very rarely count calories on NFD (non fast days) but I’ve tried throughout my weight loss to use my target weight TDEE to give me a rough idea of how much I need to eat in order to get and stay there.

I have overeaten many many times over past 8 months. I try to eat mostly whole foods and eat lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains and whole grain breads, seafood and poultry. I don’t drink much alcohol but have been known to occasionally overindulge. I try to keep it simple, no special rules about what foods to eat and I don’t eliminate any food groups. Mostly I just stick to 2 500 calorie FD per week. The days sometimes change depending on social or business travel schedules, but I never skip them. It’s pretty easy and that’s the beauty of it. It’s easy enough that I can stick to it for the rest of my life, rather than quit at the end and just gain it all back like with every other diet I’ve tried over the years.

Best of luck to both of you on your journey. I hope to see more of you around these forums! I truly believe that you’ve chosen the best and easiest way there is to lose weight and keep it off.

This is a halfway point for me in my 5:2 journey, so I thought I’d stop and reflect for a while. It is nice to stop and enjoy the metaphorical scenery once in a while – i.e. my improved appearance in the mirror!

So, what have I achieved so far? Today, my weight is 177 lb, which is pretty much the halfway point from when I started in November last year at nearly 200lb, and my target weight for the time being (the weight I was when I got married) of 150lb. My weight loss has continued at a steady 2lb per week on average. I have even coped with a week-long holiday with many temptations in the way, by being careful with my food choices. I’ve continued with my exercise regime, and even stepped it up in places because I have so much more energy now. I have learned to ‘ride the waves’ of hunger on my fast days. I never thought I could go without food for prolonged periods of time, but I have really surprised myself by how well I have coped. I think I have gone some way towards re-educating myself on how hunger really feels, so that I don’t over-indulge on NFDs. I have learned that eating even small quantities of sugary treats triggers an intense craving for more, so I avoid anything made with simple carbs now.

For me, this method works so well for practical reasons. It requires (relatively) little effort in that it there is no special planning or tracking down of unusual ingredients, and it fits well with cooking for the family. Also, I never really feel deprived, because I know I can have something I really want on a non-fasting day.

Right now, I have a strong motivation to continue, to buy new clothes and look good for my forthcoming holiday in May. If I continue losing weight at my current rate, I might even achieve my target weight by then!#

I have developed a curiosity about how and why this WOE works so well, which is something I’ve never experienced before. In the past, I have accepted assurances from diet authors that ‘this really works’, when, inevitably, some months down the line I’ve lost the motivation to keep up with the diet, and the weight has piled back on. This time round, I really want to achieve my target and then keep the weight off. I feel that the key to this is an understanding of how the process works, and what adjustments I might need to make in the coming months, if I hit a plateau, for example. It’s been really helpful to read the advice contained in posts from plateauers and maintainers on this forum, so thank you for those.

I have also been reading books and comments on this forum, to try to understand more about the science that underpins the 5:2 programme. I started off by reading ‘The Obesity Code’ by Jason Fung, from which I learned about the benefits of fasting. Then I read Michael Mosley’s ‘The Fast Diet’, from which I learned initially about the work of Valter Longo on developing a fasting programme to help counteract diseases associated with aging. I was intrigued by Michael’s experience of following a 4-day fast, and the subsequent development of the 5:2 programme as a practical way of achieving at least some of the benefits of prolonged fasting, with weight loss being a side benefit! Most recently, Dr Longo’s ‘The Longevity Diet’ has been a fascinating read. From this, I learned that to get the longevity and health-protecting effects from fasting, the fast has to last for a minimum of 4 days (5 days using the fast-mimicking diet). This makes me question whether the 2 ‘fast days’ on the 5:2 programme, when we eat a quarter of TDEE, really do yield at least some of the health benefits of longer fasts – and if so, to what degree? Or are they just a convenient way of achieving weight loss by restricting calories, when all is said and done? And if it works for weight loss – which is my primary motivation – do I really care either way? Well, yes, because I want this method to continue to work, and I feel the need to understand!

What of the future? I’ve mentioned above that I have some fears – of plateauing, and of losing motivation. Then again, in the past, I have not had the support of a forum like this to educate, inform, encourage and inspire me. I think having some support in place is incredibly important. I have not yet found a local 5:2 support group that I could join, but I will keep searching – or I may even set one up! Meanwhile, I will continue with 5:2, as it is clearly working for me. Having read Dr Longo’s advice, I will try to incorporate more fish and plant-based foods in my diet, and reduce the meat and dairy foods. It would be hard to give those up entirely, because hubby loves them too much, and I love eggs in particular! I will keep reading this forum and look out for new research. It is a privilege to live in these exciting times, with ground-breaking dietary discoveries being made, it seems, all the time.

I’m writing this post as a letter to myself, to read in the future, should I ever lose hope or the will to carry on with this WOE. I hope it will inspire and encourage me, if – when? – the going gets tough. If it does the same for anyone who cares to read this, then I shall be delighted that I have served a useful purpose in my brief time on this planet!

A few days ago, I wrote about my quest to try to understand WHY this WOE works so well for me (Day 19, February Challenge thread). This need, I think, is driven primarily by a fear of failure. From that fear comes the desire to find something different, dare I say magical, about short-term fasting, in terms of ‘other health benefits’ – whatever those may be. Some part of me feels the need to hang on to something, like a drowning person clings to a life raft, that will save me from the failure I’ve experienced with previous diets. I know, there is no magic formula, but it’s hard for me to accept that success with this WOE will, ultimately, come down to continued perseverance and discipline. Perhaps I’m subconsciously looking for the quick fix when there isn’t one!

Why the fear of failure? At this point in time, I’m following the programme to the letter and continuing to lose about 1-2 lb per week, so what on earth am I so worried about? I fear that I will lose motivation, if – when? – I hit that dreaded plateau. I fear that I will get distracted if – when? – life takes over, a crisis hits, and my plans and newly-acquired good habits get derailed. This comes from my previous experiences. For example, about 12 years ago, I followed the GI diet programme for about 9 months, and lost about 3 stone in weight over that time period – a similar loss rate to that which I am currently experiencing. I learned then that I could cope with feeling hungry for short periods of time. After a few weeks, I also learned that I didn’t need so much of the simple carb foods to get that feeling of satiety, and I especially didn’t need, or even desire, refined sugar. At my lowest point weight – wise, I was a slim 153 pounds and was getting many compliments. I had completed a 10k run for charity, a new achievement for me.

Then, I changed jobs. My new job didn’t work out for me, for various reasons. I stopped focusing on eating well. I stopped weighing myself regularly. I allowed the sugary treats to slip in to my daily diet. The inevitable happened, and within 3 years, I had regained most of the lost weight. At that point, I decided upon a radical change of career, and trained to be a maths teacher, which was very tough. Even though I completed the course, I struggled to find a teaching job afterwards, and my confidence took a severe dent. Five years further on, I got involved in caring for my parents-in-law, who both developed dementia, together with some serious physical health issues, at the same time. That was an incredibly stressful time. The weight piled on and I reached a point where I was a stone heavier than I was some 12 years previously.

Clearly, life has been tough in the past few years, but that doesn’t of itself account for my past relapse. More to the point, life could become tough again, so what will I do differently if – when? – this happens again? Clearly there is no failsafe method, but I’m hoping that the following words of encouragement will help me to climb back on the 5:2 wagon if – when! – I fall off.

1. Look for support from the 5:2 forum. 12 years ago, this forum didn’t exist, nor was there anything like it on the internet. It’s so helpful to know that I have this to turn to. To all forum contributors: Thank you for all the help and encouragement you have given me so far, directly or indirectly. Your generous sharing of information, advice and experience is invaluable. Thank you.

2. Understand that this WOE is brilliantly simple and simply brilliant, but simple does NOT mean trivial! It works, quite simply, by restricting calories. For reasons described above, this feels strangely disappointing, but as @simcoeluv made clear in his thoroughly detailed post on Day 19 February 2018 Monthly Challenge, there is very little evidence to suggest other health benefits. In any case, weight loss is, in its own right, a worthwhile goal. If I focus on this, other health benefits – or avoidance of illnesses – will hopefully follow. There may be some benefits from short-term fasting with regards to lowering insulin resistance, but as I don’t have diabetes, it is not something I need to focus on right now. Having said that, I will continue to look out for new research stories on this topic, as they are published.

3. Remember that it is much easier for me to cut calories on 2 days and eat ‘normally’ on others, compared to restricting calorie intake every day, which (in my case) results in feeling constantly deprived. It is easier for me to cut complete meals over short periods of time, compared to estimating the number of calories in small portions of food every day. 5:2, if operated correctly, results in a 20% reduction in calories over the space of a week. Perfect for achieving that 1-2lb loss per week. Eating triggers my hunger hormones – this is why we have starters in restaurants. Understand that short periods of going without food will not harm me (this may not be true for you!). Realise that my ‘normal’ food intake for a NFD will need modification as my TDEE comes down. Remember that I have taken pride and joy in discovering new foods and new menus using healthier ingredients, and that there are more discoveries to be made. Acknowledge that this is a permanent change to my life.

4. Counting calories is not such a big deal, in any case. It is a lot easier these days with apps and clear labelling on food packaging. If I can’t be bothered to count, I can estimate. This is what I do currently. I try to estimate the calorific value of ingredients to the nearest 50 and plan my menus so that they come to about 100 calories under my TDEE, to allow for a safety margin. The amount of weight I’ve lost so far indicates I’m getting it about right!

5. Continue with this WOE for long enough to enable the better, newer habits to become ingrained. This will mean a maintenance programme of some kind, once I have reached my ideal weight. Most of our habits are learned over a long period of time. Currently I’m 3 months into my 5:2 journey, which is nowhere near long enough – I consider myself a novice still. From past experience, perhaps 9 months wasn’t long enough either, as I didn’t experience a significantly long enough period of time at my ideal weight. I’m guessing it may take at least 2 years of weight maintenance to become habituated.

6. Remember that I have already learned valuable skills – e.g. to manage without added sugar in my diet, to recognise hunger and satiety signals, and how to override the hunger ones. (In the past, I was probably over-eating due to overriding satiety signals). I’ll keep on with the short-term fasts so that I don’t forget these feelings of hunger and satiety. I’ll remember that the first meal after a fast day tastes great – and gives me something to look forward to!

7. Be aware that the 5:2 WOE may have some drawbacks. Longo (Loc 1784 ‘The Longevity Diet’) mentions that it may be difficult remain on the programme for years, plus it may trigger sleep disorders similar to jet lag. My experience so far is that the 5:2 WOE does require some planning and preparation, and some mental effort in the form of a conscious decision to ‘make this a fast day’. But this is not too onerous, and I hope will become easier in time as I become habituated to this WOE. I’m pleased to say that I’ve had no problems sleeping – in fact I sleep better nowadays! Longo also advises not to skip breakfast, as this has been associated with increased risk for age-related diseases (loc 880, ‘The Longevity Diet). For info, on fast days, my preference is to have no calories until lunchtime, and then just a very small snack at lunchtime, and a meal in the evening. That is a pattern that works well for me. On non-fast days, I eat breakfast. I’m trusting that not eating breakfast on 2 days a week will not materially increase my overall risk of age-related diseases!

8. Once I reach my target weight (and I WILL!) I shall set myself an upper weight limit. I will take action if I go above that limit. I will weigh myself regularly (but not necessarily daily). FWIW at the present time I weigh myself daily, but I do understand that the range of daily fluctuations can disguise smaller underlying losses. My view is that there aren’t so many tools available to check progress, so it seems sensible to use what is available, and just be aware of the limitations. “Scales are vanity; 5:2 is sanity”! I understand others may have all sorts of reasons for following 5:2 for reasons other than weight loss, but for me, I envisage continuing with it (or a version of it) simply to avoid re-gaining the lost weight. That is enough of an ambition for me. I may or may not be able to reduce FDs down to 6:1. I may or may not experiment with ‘proper’ fasting (as advocated by Longo), or the FMD. Those are exciting future possibilities, though!

9. I exercise regularly now, even though I’m not a natural athlete and I don’t really love it the way some people do. I do it because a) the feelgood hormones make me feel better b) I know it is good for me, even if I can’t immediately see any benefit c) I want to get value for money from my gym membership! That is enough to keep me keeping on. Perhaps, at last, my gym-going habit has become ingrained! I can adopt the same mindset with 5:2, if – when? – the ‘shine’ wears off and if I should fall out of love with it!

10. Understand that it is pretty much impossible to carry out meaningful studies on the effectiveness of 5:2 on health benefits, besides weight loss. In ‘The Fast Diet’, Dr M describes the 5:2 approach as a ‘synthesis’ of other approaches, so it has not been clinically tested (the work of Dr Michelle Harvie, Dr Krista Varady and others is acknowledged). Weight loss as an objective is enough by itself. There are very many health benefits to be derived from losing excess weight, and I don’t need to look for additional reasons why this WOE works. I accept that now, though it has taken a while to reach this point!

11. Public awareness of obesity is increasing all the time. This has got to be a good thing. The Daily Telegraph today reported that research by Cancer Research UK suggests that three quarters of millennials could become overweight or obese by the time they reach their 40s. Perhaps this greater awareness will result in more direct and indirect interventions, e.g. setting up face to face support groups, or cigarette-style warnings on food packets.

12. Above all else, keep on keeping on! I have nothing to lose except the excess weight!

Thanks for a very interesting and motivating post. There is one point that you have mentioned that has been on my mind a few days following @simcoeluv saying the same thing in his summary on diets post on our February Challenge thread: That going without breakfast for a long period can be dangerous. I don’t understand why. Breakfast was just an additional meal invented to sell breakfast cereal. Wasn’t it??? If one follows their natural appetite, then some, like me are simply not hungry in the morning and prefer not to eat until I feel hunger. OH, on the other hand has to have his eggs first thing, or else he feels ill. So any light that can be shed on this will be welcomed. If eating one of my NFD two meals a day turns out to be the preferred timing, then I will re-educate my body to adjust. Any excuse to have porridge – at any time of the day!!!

I have really enjoyed reading your posts…. You might remember I’m aiming for my goal by my May holiday too – it’s a big birthday this year so feel very determined to be comfortable as I turn 60!

We have lots of parallels – even down to caring for in-laws with dementia!

I have been 5:2ing since November last year and, like you, found it just seems to work for me – particularly as I know that if I have a craving it can be satisfied on a NFD! I have found most success if I can keep off the sugar – it doesn’t seem to be just that it naturally reduces calorie intake but rather that I struggle to ‘stay on the wagon’ if I have a sugary portion. Also my mood plummets if I have too much sugar – I tried going ‘sugar free’ for a while but that just seems too restrictive. I have also found that I am most successful if I don’t eat until late in the day on a FD – I do have trouble sleeping on FDs but found that if I have all my calories later in the day this is better for me on that front.

I have read The Obesity Code (last holiday) and we go away in three weeks for OH’s birthday so think I will prepare to read Longo.

I too am not a natural athlete but do enjoy a steady jog or walk but I have to admit to being a warm weather soul so I hibernate temporarily in the weather we are having at the moment!

As we have a similar goal I will keep in touch through your post – good luck!

@Strawberriesandcream and @toddybear, thank you for your replies. I’m glad you enjoyed my posts!

I too am intrigued by the potential conflict between studies showing that missing breakfast is not a good idea, and the practice that I and others adopt of skipping breakfast whilst following this WOE. (I should stress, I do usually eat breakfast on a NFD, but give it a miss on FDs only because I prefer to eat my calories later in the day – it’s just easier for me that way.)

I’ve taken a look at the journal that Longo references (at loc 1723, ‘The Longevity Diet’, see below), to see if that helps to shed some light. It’s a complicated paper, especially for a non-scientist like me, however I will attempt to summarise.
    First of all, I think it is important to understand that in his book, Longo is addressing the general population of readers, who may or may not be following a healthy diet. In doing so he advises not to skip breakfast, I think simply because that is the safest advice to give at this stage, based on the knowledge we have now, until further studies become available.

The studies referenced in the journal do show that skipping breakfast is associated with poorer health generally, but note the words ‘associated with’! I get the impression that most of the people surveyed in these studies would have been drawn from the general population, so it’s possible – likely even? – that many people who skipped breakfast also had other ‘unhealthy’ habits, such as smoking, excess alcohol, or making poor food choices. Conversely, those who ate breakfast had generally healthier habits. So, is skipping breakfast a ‘cause’ of poor health, or just ‘associated with’ it? Given the nature of the studies, I’m pretty sure it would be impossible to prove a direct cause and effect relationship!

Secondly, we are a group of people who have deliberately set out to achieve a healthy diet and lifestyle, following the 5:2 method, and many (most?) of us are doing so primarily to achieve weight loss. By eating well, living well and losing weight, we are avoiding the poor choices mentioned above. We are a fairly new group of people, and (to my knowledge) have not been studied in the same way as the populations described in the journal. If I were a scientist with the resources to conduct a suitable trial on us, my hypothesis would be that whilst following this WOE, skipping breakfast has no adverse effect on our long-term health. However, back in the real world, for now, it is not possible to say what effect it has. As I said before, I’m trusting that it won’t be a problem in the long-term!

For general interest, if you scroll down the journal, on page e6, there is a separate section that comments on the effectiveness of intermittent fasting diets for achieving weight loss and better blood results. The conclusion seems to be that these diets may be effective, but more longer-term studies are needed. It does not specifically mention about the effect of skipping breakfast whilst following those diets, but given that some of them advocate 24+ hour periods of water-fasting, I think it’s safe to assume that missing breakfast as part of a healthy diet and lifestyle plan is not such a terrible thing!

Finally, just to re-iterate, I’m not a doctor nor a dietitian, so my comments here are only for myself. I’m going to continue with missing breakfast on my fast days, whilst it suits me to do so. As always, I’m happy to reconsider if there are good reasons for doing so.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/early/2017/01/30/CIR.0000000000000476

FatFingers – I enjoy reading your posts and have a very similar experience. I stick to 5:2 consistently and try to follow The Longevity Diet/ Whole Food Plant Based. I too wasn’t sure about the proposed health benefits of 5:2 in addition to the weight loss. But after 8 months I have changed my mind! My OH has had remarkable results – and amazing recent blood tests. I’ve had good health results too. I think there are few organisations out there willing to fund research on 5:2 as where is the profit in it? But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t deliver health benefits- c-reactive protein reduction in particular?

Have you thought about measuring your fat %? So you can minimise muscle loss as you get closer to your goal. I’m thinking about it but am further from my goal than you. I was thinking of getting new scales to measure this, as I don’t really know what my target weight should be. I’m keen to avoid losing weight – only to end up a TOFI!

@cornish-jane, thank you for your story. That is truly amazing and WELL DONE to you and your OH! I think you are right – there seems to be no incentive for any organisation to fund research into 5:2 or similar methods. Even so, it is wonderful to hear that this lifestyle has worked so well for you, and many others. It certainly inspires me to keep going, so please keep sharing those stories!

It is interesting about measuring fat %. I have actually thought about this, but concluded that it’s not worth me paying attention to. This is mainly because I am, at heart, a very lazy person and I tend to stick with the simplest things in life! My understanding about the various fat measurement techniques available is that it’s hard to get an accurate measure. I have heard about DEXA scans, but I understand these are neither cheap nor easy to obtain. Also, you would need 2 or 3 of them to assess your progress over time. So, for now, I’ll stick with my tape measure. It is telling me that the fat is going down nicely around my waist, which is the most significant area for visceral fat. I wish I could say the same for my fingers, but they remain stubbornly fat! I’m no closer to getting my rings on yet, but I’ll get there! BTW IMHO I don’t think you should worry too much about becoming a TOFI, as long as you are continuing with an exercise regime alongside your 5:2. But as always, if in doubt, check with your GP.

Talking of measurements, I have noticed a considerable difference in the results from the machines I use in the gym. For example, when I weighed 200lb, I used to burn 65 calories using a step machine for 5 minutes at average intensity level 7. Now, at 174lb, I burn less than 60 calories at intensity level 8! It is the difference in measures that is interesting to me, because it not only shows increased fitness, but also illustrates quite nicely that my TDEE is lower now. BTW I don’t pay too much attention to the absolute measures, because I would have probably burned most of those 60 calories at rest!

Hi Fatfingers

I’ve loved reading through your posts (with a coffee this morning) and it’s great to hear that there are other ‘researchers’ out there. I’ve also read a lot of Dr Fung’s stuff and often listen to his Obesity Code podcast. The idea of longer fasts for health and longevity really interest me too, but not something I plan to do until I have my eating habits and weight under control. I did manage a four day fast last year but it probably wasn’t the right thing to do at the time.

Interested to know if you follow any of the low carbers like Ted Naiman, Dave Feldman and Ivor Cummins? I’ve tried very low carb diets which don’t work well for me, but it is fascinating to listen to them on subjects like the dreaded (or not) cholesterol, and insulin resistance.

I also saw your post about breakfast. I will happily go until around 11am without eating, and always exercise before having any food (it makes me feel queasy if I do eat beforehand). I’m not sure if this is a good or bad thing but will listen to my body on this for now.

You have made amazing progress and it really gives me hope. My starting weight is 10lbs more than yours but seeing that it can be done is really encouraging.

Looking forward to keeping up with your progress.

Hello Lizzie,

Sorry – only just spotted your post! About the low carb approach – no I have never seriously attempted any eating regime like this, though I’m always interested to hear what the research has to say. I’ll look up the 3 authors you mention.

I have been cutting down the heavily refined carbs, though, and nowadays eat only small portions of rye bread. I do have more energy and feel better – I believe as a result of re-balancing my diet. I do include carbs from vegetables and fruit. One of my favourite go-to FD meals is vegetable soup made with leftover chunks of broccoli and cauliflower stalks.

Well done to you and keep up the good work!

Exercise routine

After much thought, and several re-readings of Dr MM and Peta Bee’s ‘Fast Exercise’ book, I’m now ready to commit to an improved exercise regime, alongside the 5:2 WOE. Woohoo!

What took me so long? Well, I actually found it quite tricky to identify a new exercise routine that would improve, in a sustainable way for me, my current routine. Unlike the 5:2 concept, which I ‘got’ straight away, initially I found it hard to ‘get’ which exercises I should do, at what levels of frequency and intensity. The book describes both fitness and strength exercises and explains several varieties of each type, but essentially they all have in common some element of disruption to one’s steady state. Rather like a car that is driven erratically will be less efficient and so will burn more fuel per km travelled, the same principle seems to apply to the human body. In essence, it’s all about burning surplus fat and building muscle strength through irregular bursts of activity. The required level of intensity and frequency, though, seems to be down to the individual reader’s levels of fitness and personal preferences, so there is clearly no single right answer here.

I also struggled to identify how I might best measure the results of my efforts, to assess any improvement to my fitness levels over time. As I mentioned before, I’m not a great lover of exercise, so I’m not especially keen to go further, faster, or stronger than any given target. That doesn’t mean that I don’t value the benefits of exercise – I really do! For me, the true benefit is about staying well, and keeping out of hospital in the long run. But how could I measure that? I’m not sure I could get reliable results from measuring blood glucose levels via a home test, or VO2 max readings, for example. I’m not sure I would have the courage to bother my GP for these tests when I’m basically healthy – he turned my husband away when he requested a PSA test, telling him not to waste his time.

That said, I have tried to get some idea of my baseline levels of fitness. My theoretical VO2 Max is somewhere around 36, which is “excellent”. Yet I can barely catch up with dog walkers when jogging uphill, let alone overtake them. Similarly, the number of modified press-ups I can do is around 26. At my age (57), this appears to be off-the-scale superior, but I can’t be sure I am doing them properly. Having been sedentary for most of my life, I just don’t trust these measurements! Then there is the complication of measuring certain outcomes, for example it would not be possible to distinguish between the effects of the 5:2 way of eating and effects of exercise on weight and waist measurements, when doing both at the same time. I have decided that I have to take on trust that my diet & exercise routine will be beneficial.

If I can’t easily measure the outcomes of my new exercise routine, I can at least measure inputs. For example, I know from using heart monitors on gym machines what working flat out for me feels like, and what around 80% of maximum effort feels like. From this, I can use the rate of perceived exertion (RPE) scale to assess how much effort to put in to my exercises.

So, after much deliberation and re-reading the book, this is my new commitment to myself:

1. To move about more. A lot more, every day. To reduce my sitting time to a bare minimum. If I have to sit for a long period of time, I will find an excuse to get up every half hour and move around. I was shocked to read just how bad sitting around is for us, and horrified by my own day to day sloth. This has to be my biggest priority and the simplest thing to improve. How will I achieve this? By sticking a stress ball in the seat of my pants! It works a treat – it’s soft enough not to cause an injury, yet I can feel it all the time I’m sitting here typing. It is reminding me every minute to get off my butt and MOVE! Which I will do imminently. Mind you, I need to be careful when nature calls, otherwise the stress ball can end up pinging into the pan!

2. To do 5x exercise sessions per week, each with 5x 80% intensity level bursts included (RPE level 8 minimum). Ideally this would include 2x gym sessions, focusing either on strength or fitness, 1x swim, a cycle ride, and a run (well, a jog with some running) in the woods. This is a bit more frequent than my current routine, but has quite a bit more intensity built into it. I tried running 5x bursts of 60 seconds in the woods today, at intensity level 8. It was quite hard to sustain that level for that length of time, and certainly a lot harder than the steady jogging I have been doing up until now.

3. When about to go on holiday or whenever my routine is disrupted (it often is), to have an alternative plan in place. Dr MM writes about exercises he does in hotel rooms and using staircases in tall buildings. I aim to follow his example, using the exercises in the book and packing a pair of running shoes in my suitcase.

This is how I intend to assess my progress:

1. By keeping a record of sessions completed in my daily diary, and accounting for these in the monthly challenges threads. As mentioned above, this is a measure of exercise inputs rather than outputs – but I understand and accept that exercise is beneficial for its own sake, so for me, for now, giving myself credit for completing the sessions is good enough.

2. Even though I struggle to find suitable output measures, I would expect to gain some measurable benefits in terms of increased ability to perform certain exercises. For example, at my current weight and fitness level, I can manage 5 minutes on a stair climbing machine at my gym at level 8. A few months ago, I could only manage level 7. It would be nice to see an increase to level 9 and maybe 10 over the next few months. I think I might need some help with measuring my press-up rate though!

3. For general interest, I will also keep a note of my heart rate in various states. Today, when in a relaxed state, my resting heart rate was 60 BPM. In my gym, using the heart monitors on the various machines, it seems the maximum heart rate I can reach is 150 BPM. It will be interesting to see if these measures change over time.

So, there we have it – a commitment to a more intense, slightly more frequent, and more varied exercise routine. I’m still not sure I’ve got it completely sorted in my head, but the important thing now is to give it a go, keep learning and keep improving.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply.