Fast day meal ideas

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Stef. 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hi everyone, im new to 5:2 after spending a long time reading up on the ins and outs.
    First fast day on Wednesday went well and wasn’t nearly as tough as i had anticipated:)

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to share with me their typical fast day meal plan to give me some ideas of good ways of playing with the 500 allowance.

Apologies if there is already a section or post for this but this is my first time using a forum so i am a little green lol!

Sarah

I’m only 4 weeks in, so others may have better suggestions. The first week I tried having 100 cals for breakfast(all protein), 150 for lunch (100 protein & 50 veg) and 250 for dinner (180-200 in protein & the rest veg), however I just couldn’t sleep – not because I felt hungry.

I don’t cope well at work if I don’t get sleep, so since then I’ve had a black coffee for breakfast and lunch @1pm is a small serve of ham or chicken or turkey & a steam-bag serving of green veg. For dinner @8pm I pretty much have the same & switch it around. I have to admit that I buy pre-measured portions those 2 days a week just to make portion control not an issue. It works for me and I’m not bored cos it’s only 2 days.

I make sure I get a big bottle of sparkling mineral water each fast day – and add lime juice sometimes for variety. I stocked up on herbal teas and don’t tend to drink them on normal days.

I’ve always felt better on less starches, and instead more protein & carbs from fruit & veg.

Aria, is your method of splitting the 500 calories working? How many hours have you been fasting for?

Thanks for the reply 🙂
    just trying to figure out the foods that fill you up for the least amount of calories.

i like the idea of the steam veg for work so will defo add that to my shopping list and i agree with the prepacked idea, i think im just going to have a ready type meal on fast days which is all pre counted untill i get used to it 🙂

Thanks for the advice

@sarahjane29 – I can’t do ready meals as I’m gluten/dairy/soy/tomato intolerant (yeah makes things complicated) but I’m good at microwaving bags of frozen veg – i kept them in the freezer at work anyway. One of the supermarkets has portion sized packs of cooked fish/seafood so I like them too.

I’m waiting for a 5:2 for 1 person cookbook to turn up in the mail with ideas for when I get bored.

@cheryl guliner, the hours between food are 17-7-13. So far I’ve lost cm but little kg, and from what I’ve read everyone does things a little different. Some have success with 3 small meals, some with 2 like me, some do 1 of 500cal and some have nothing. For me I get only a few minutes (once) early evening of mad hunger. And I can sleep and make sense at work.

I’m in it not just for weight loss but to help prevent Type 2 diabetes (have health issues that lead to it) and hoping it’ll improve my inflammatory problems (allergic hayfever, asthma, dermatitis, food intolerances).

So I’m giving it a good 3 month trial to see how it goes.

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the forum!

I eat all my calories in one go for dinner as I have realised very early on that eating something small during the day “wakes up” my tummy and it screams for food.

I eat usually a chicken breast with tons of veggies and a salad for dinner plus a low calorie yoghurt for desert. Alternatively two boiled eggs, 3 slices of Ryvita, salad and a yoghurt. Occassionally I make myself a ready made Lean Cuisine dinner, but usually I avoid processed foods.

During the day I drink tons of water and green tea as they suppress hunger bangs.

Best of luck
    Stef.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.