Do I have to eat 500 calories?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jeanius 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Do I have eat 500 Calories on the Fast days? Or can I eat less if I want to?

… And yes, I believe you can eat nothing at all if you have the stamina!!!

The caloric numbers are upper limits, many of us just have water. You are allowed 500 calories to prevent you getting over hungry and bingeing.

Thanks all for answering this question as I was worried that my lump of a body would scream I was starving it and go into starvation mode, have 89 lbs to lose, lost 4lbs this first week.
    My estimate for feast days is 2069 cals! I have realised I struggle to eat halve of that, have been like this for years, so why this weight gain over 14 years? Oh how it crept on like a thief in the night.realising that I have lived on too many carbs and relishing all the lovely recipes which contain so many veg. The red pepper soup was delicious and this morning cooked up a batch of ratatouille , freeze portions so its a no brainier on fast day. Even though its a fast day today for me, not even feeling tempted to pick, I take a few moments to think on how I feel hunger wise and I drink a large glass of water and any thoughts of food vanish , its a wonderful feeling. I’ll stop now and busy myself with housework to the sound of Queen, especially ‘ fat bottom girls’!

Sounds great, Chriscrock – and a lovely parting image! Enjoy yourself, the new you.

A reply from Michael M in the ‘faq’ section (see link at top-right of the page, under the heading Welcome to 5:2 Intermittent Fasting’) – Will it put me into ‘starvation mode’?:

‘This is another very common myth. The initial response of your body to a reduction in calories is to increase your metabolic rate. This is because, in our hunter-gatherer past, survival in times of food shortage would have depended on our becoming more active, going out to hunt and look for food. Only under conditions of extreme calorie deprivation, when we have been for weeks without enough food and our body fat has fallen dramatically does the body go into “starvation mode”. IF is not the same as crash dieting. Starvation mode does not happen if you cut your calories for a day!!’

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.