D day I'm off

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Nika 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

• My first day would love any tips on the best food on fast days x

Dear J, welcome to the 5:2 Forum. I’m pretty new too and have lost 10 kilos in two months. On fast days if you can miss breakfast and ‘manage’ until lunchtime (around 12 noon) then soup is a good warming option with a piece of fruit. For dinner @ around 6.00 pm I would try various salads or some sushi from M&S and another piece of fruit or small glass of juice. The great thing about 5:2 is that it’s flexible. Good luck. BTD.

Hi Jillieand, we usually have chicken breast or fish with veggies for dinner, eggs are filling, too. Started out eating breakfast (oatmeal or yogurt or eggs) and dinner, now I skip breakfast and save all the calories till evening. You can have anything but high protein foods are more filling. Good luck!

Yes you’re right protein for breakfast is much better for me, I’m doing my first fast on Monday. On a fast day does it mean that I can’t have tea with semi-skimmed ? I can’t function till I’ve had a cuppa 🙂 thank you for your reply

Well done that weight loss must make a big difference to your well being, I can’t wait to be able say Ive lost 10 kilos! Thank you for your response here goes 5-2

Hello Jillieand! You can have your cup of tea with semi-skimmed … But any kind of milk reduces your 500/600 kcal on fast day. What comes to splitting 500/600 kcals throughout the fast day, I personally prefer having a decent breakfast and light lunch. For the evening I save only 100 kcal (one apple or something like that). You’ll get to know what is suitable for you, my metabolism can be different than yours etc.

I agree with Fastinginberlin, high-protein foods tend to be more filling than high-carb. That’s why I start my fast day with low-fat quark and berries.

5:2 seems to suit me and my current lifestyle very well: I have lost 5 kg during 2 months, from BMI 25.5 to 23.8 – but I have been able to enjoy Saturday dinners at the same time 🙂

Hi Jillieand – and others. I’m one of the people that likes to not eat on fast days until as late in the day as I can comfortably manage, which is often midday, and then I like to get some protein into me. So, I love the old two egg omelette with a sliver of cheese in the middle, lots of cracked pepper and a salad. I feel so good after that and I can get through to bedtime without hunger.

Hola Viisikaksi thats a relief, but I will make sure I monitor the milk, I don’t like much so should be ok. I will have b.fast on fast day a light lunch and early evening protein. Can always reverse this if my hunger dictates ! Well done on your loss, ive yet to work out my bmi, but I have done my measurements. Agree with you about Saturday dinners 🙂

I like the sound of that omelette, would smoked salmon work as well? I will be better with bfast and as little as poss for lunch. This forum is great, don’t feel as though im the only one with weight issues, have a good Sunday.

G’day Jillie – I’ve been eating maybe six eggs a week, and a lot less meat, and more fish, less chicken. It wasn’t deliberate; just turned out that way as I looked for lower calorie, healthier options. Smoked salmon is huge with me since I live in Tasmania and we produce terrific salmon.

I drink a LOT of tea and I have full fat milk in it. I like real milk in real strong tea. Skim milk is another food factory scam – avoid it like the plague.

Another thing I’m getting into is coleslaw. Finely chopped up red or green cabbage, carrot, maybe a red onion, and the finest drizzle of a sour cream dressing. Trick is to top it with just two or three crumbled corn chips and it becomes a luxurious mex salad. I can eat a huge bowl of that with just a few shred of chicken or salmon or other meat and feel very virtuous.

I’m not a calorie counter; can’t be bothered.

Hi Jillie and all, my first day as well. Bought the book yesterday, no time to waste! It’s 11.30am Monday (in New Zealand) and have had a black coffee and black tea plus water so far. Trying to wait another hour or two before I have two boiled eggs and some asparagus spears. Planning on steamed fish and big salad for dinner! Wish me luck! Cheers Valerie

Hola Valerie I wish you luck, ive been going for nearly two weeks have lost 6lbs. Have found an ap called ‘Fat Secret’ it tells you how many calories, carbs protein etc that you have eaten – its very helpful. I’m quite good at controlling my food intake, until I have a glass of wine!! A problem living in Spain great social life, so trying very hard to have one glass, and plenty of water when we go out, not drinking at home. I need a stiff talking to 🙂 Jillie

Hola RoBa, love sound of your coleslaw will give it a go. How long and how much have you lost ? We were in Tansmania earlier this year, loved it, two weeks driving from Hobart up one coast and down the other. Could not believe the devastation by bush fires around Port Arthur, it was truly shocking. Good luck Jillie

Hi RoBa,
    I live in Tasmania as well, amazing to find you here on this UK site.
    I’m hoping to start this soon as I feel so fat!
    ianandelaine

Hi ian and elaine (whichever one you are)
    Also in Hobart and on this lifestyle since January.
    Don’t think of “hoping to start soon” – just do it!

I started in February weighing 90.8kg, now 73. Cholesterol and lipids have dropped dramatically, as has my waist by 23cm.
    The good thing is that you can just do it without affecting your general lifestyle, if a particular fast day isn’t convenient one week just change the day.
    I now tend to do 1 40 hour fast (water only, but I know that doesn’t suit some people, for me it’s easier not to tempt my tastebuds at all) and on 4 other days have only dinner, then eat normally at the weekends. I am still losing weight (but more slowly now) and have another 5kg to go, I either swim 4km or use the crosstrainer for 1 hour 6 mornings a week.
    1 encouraging thing I have found (but some others on the various topics wouldn’t agree) is that I now eat less on normal days, I really am not as hungry (or greedy) as before.
    Just do it, don’t bother to tell people until they start to get amazed! Good luck

Thank You vicki for your encouraging words. We did start today. I feel happy that at least we have started and will try to keep going. Keep you posted. elaine of ian and elaine.

Hey Elaine of Ian and Elaine!

The start is the biggest step! Just wait, you’ll feel it working and see the results and the motivation will come easy after that 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply.