Confessions of a booze hound

This topic contains 25 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  penguin 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

• Hello all

I did 5:2 in 2013 and lost about 10 kilos. It worked well for me and I found it easy. My FDs were usually Mon and Thurs and after a bit of experimentation, I was more able to eat nothing (except precious coffee) than try and eat small meals under the 500 calorie limit.

Why did I fall off the wagon, so to speak? Well, it’s always easier to blame someone else than take personal responsibility… One of the reasons I did so well during my 5:2 days was that my boozing partner in crime was away for 6 months. Without a drinking buddy, I found it so much easier to be “good” and cut down my alcohol consumption. I do like a drink! And when I drink I eat more. Bad combination… On his return, I reverted to old habits very quickly. I think my first FD my thinking was, well one martini must be no more than 500 calories, so I’ll just have that!

So a few years down the track, older and heavier, I’m starting again. Did my FD on Monday without problem. Tues night I celebrated with over a bottle of wine. Not even decent plonk – just a quaffer – so I ask myself (afterwards, always afterwards) why is drinking bad wine a good idea??! Good FD again yesterday and I feel really good today. It’s been raining all week and I usually walk to work. But with it bucketing down, I drove instead. This morning I woke with a clear head (I do love that feeling) and to clear skies. So I walked in. Nothing like early morning exercise to pump those endorphins!

So this is a contemporary record of how good I can feel. How I can maintain self-discipline. How it is worth it. How proud I can be of myself, and how nice it is not to wake with self-loathing at my previous night’s behaviour. How a small sacrifice (not even a “sacrifice” really!) can have such wonderful, positive benefits. I write this now to remind myself.

Even though I know, deep down, it being Friday today, no doubt I will revert to form this evening and commence proceedings with a decent martini, home made pizza, more red wine and take it from there.

I didn’t do this last time, but now I am intending to weigh myself weekly and take measurements. I’ve never really cared about how much I weigh – more how I look and feel. If I can get back into a favourite dress, that’s a good bench mark. This time, however, I think I need additional motivation and measurements of success. I reckon a 20 kilo loss should be my goal – or 3 dress sizes. By the end of the year (that’s relatively realistic, isn’t it?). Here’s hoping.

Feel free to join me, or just let me ramble. After all, this is all about me, right? πŸ™‚ [Seriously, while this is my first ever post, throughout the week I was reading about YOU and your experiences which genuinely helped me get through my FDs. So, thank you!.]

That sounds very familiar. I know that there are no more calories in a single whisky than there are in an egg, I just don’t know how to pour a single whisky. Today is not a fast day for me, but it is day one of my investigation of restricted time feeding. First food 0800, last 1730. In theory I can eat normally in a restricted time and lose weight. However I suspect they assume that if you stop early you won’t drink. Wrong. Several stiff gins whilst cooking the last meal, only because someone drank all of the whisky.

I guess from your reference to dress sizes that inviting you to join us on “Are there many guys on this diet” could be a no no, but that and “No breakfast, or more like…” are currently interesting , and we do have the occasional female visitor.

I recognise that one. Which is why I am trying hard to stay off booze all togetehr until I hit my target weight. My maintenance regime will be FDs on Mon and Tue (0 kcal), with no alcohol on Tuesdays either. The jury is still out on whether it will be allowed on a Thursday or not… less than 10kg to go 🍻🍷🍸🍺

Hello fellow b-hounds! (I mean that affectionately.)

Penguin: you’re right in assuming I’m a woman, but if it’s open to all, I’d be delighted to join you on other sites. I’d heard of restricted time eating but never thought to pair it with 5:2. I’ll be most interested to see how it works for you (whiskey, gin withstanding!)

Big Viking: Good luck. Although I *think* I’d have the discipline to stay off booze all together, I honestly don’t want to. On a positive day I think I could give it up Mon-Thurs inclusive but no more than that. Well done you for giving it a go!

We had a house guest over the weekend. While I ate well, I drank badly! Sore head today… Bizarrely my weight is down 300g. Must be the loss of all those brain cells.

Hello, Penz! May I suggest that you might want to take part in the June 2017 Challenge? We make up a list of people who are intermittent fasting on the same day and to give each other support, we make a list and keep that list in our pocket to remind us that we are not alone in our efforts. Recently, one of the posters called for a “pocket wino” list…I’m not a wine drinker, but I can empathize because what really stifles my weight loss is beer!

Hi Metatauta! Thanks for the suggestion; I’d actually seen the June challenge forum but thought the month was too far gone to join. I’ll see you there!

In the last 8 days I have been combining low cal fasting days with limited time eating. I have been drinking on the NFDs but the early time cut off tends to limit that. I am down 7 lbs. It is my birthday today. I have several cards comparing me to vintage cars (old, falling apart, screws loose) and presents that are variations on the theme of whisky. Enough to undermine any attempt to lose weight unless I can maintain some self discipline.

Happy birthday Penguin!! Sounds like you’re giving yourself the best present – down 7lbs! Well done! A great way to use 5:2 for YOUR lifestyle. (From your posts, I think you’re probably more comparable to a fine wine – improving with age!)

Thank you Penz, but the kids may have it right – this body is getting old. It has been a good day or a bad day, depending on how you look at it. My dearly beloved made a cake. The whiskies had to be tried. Apart from that it was supposed to be a fasting day. The scales will reveal all tomorrow morning. Further dangers lurk in the form of our wedding anniversary and Father’s day, both on Sunday.

Well I got away with that – no change.

In addition to tracking girth measurements and weight, I really should also track mood. My job is not particularly satisfying at present. More like downright frustrating. Which means I go home and feel the need for a martini or glass of vino to help take the edge off. Which means Monday = good fast day, Tuesday = bottle of wine. I can be good on FDs, but if I have a frustrating day in the office on a NFD, I am somehow able to justify this as an excuse to drink.

Has anyone else tracked a link between mood and poor drinking / eating choices? Does anyone have any tips about how to counter a bad mood with good choice habits?

Penguin: sounds like you had a fantastic day! Even the scales celebrated your birthday with the best gift it could offer. If you can squeeze a FD (or even two) in between now and Sunday you’ll be back on track.

Weigh day today. About to head to the airport for a quick work trip (yawn) so don’t have time to measure. (Well, to be honest, don’t want to make time to measure as I don’t feel slimmer.) However, I’m (pleasantly) surprised. The scales show a loss of 1.5 kg which sees bang on a healthy drop.

I’m surprised because I didn’t have the best week in one sense. 3 no-alcohol days including the two FDs. Been drinking otherwise and because of the rain I had very little exercise (I usually walk to work). So with all that working against me, something still worked!

Penz, You are clearly doing something right. I hope I’m as surprised when I get weighed tomorrow. This week has contained my birthday, our wedding anniversary and Father’s day. If I come out of it with no weight gain I will be content.

That could have been much worse. One pound down.

Currently on “the road” – nearing the end of a 4 week deployment. Have been doing maintenance – sitting at 73kg, started at ~84 kg last Oct. Avoid beer at home – don’t keep it in the house, but harder to do when travelling as that is the drink of choice with most of my coworkers. Anyhow, ballooned to 76kg on Sunday. 4 beer Thursday night, bunch of beer & wine Friday(crew departing party), bottle of wine Saturday all pushed me well over TDEE; although, I suspected that a lot of it was water due eating at restaurants/salty snacks. FD Sunday (600KCal) + 1 margarita (showing new arrival around Darwin). Monday FD with no lapses, normal NFD yesterday (no restaurant food) Back to 73kg when I went to gym this morning.
    Behaving today as working this evening. Likely go back for a margarita, or 2, plus food at the Mexican place tomorrow. Will try & behave Friday as getting a body scan done on Saturday morning. LOL.

Hi BC – welcome to the discussion. I love Darwin – I’ve always thought drinking was a necessity there if only to stay hydrated (ha). Sounds like your metabolism is well used to 5:2 that it bounced back so quickly. I hope to get my system trained just as well!

Yesterday I tried to do a time restricted eating day (channeling Penguin). Had only coffee with a titch of milk in the morning. Not sure whether that counts as calories or not for the purposes of this approach. Light lunch at midday and dinner at 6.30 (with two glasses of wine). I did not particularly enjoy the wine, I have to say, which is probably a good thing!

Will hold off eating again until midday today. I find this approach (combined with the 2 FDs) relatively easy. *phew*

Hi. Despite coffee not having any, or very few calories, it does count as breaking fast forTime Restricted Eating (TRE) due metabolic effects, from what I’ve read. If it wasn’t for my required coffee(s) when I get up in the morning, I could easily due TRE most days as I rarely eat before 10 a.m.

It seems to be agreed that coffee or tea count as food for the start of the eating period. However some rules are more important than others and I ignore that one. It doesn’t, for me, seem to make any difference.

Hmmmm, bcjmmac – your post agrees with what my brain intuitively tells me is correct, however I choose to believe Penguin in this instance! πŸ™‚ The proof will be in the pudding. No, weight [sic]. No the proof will be on the scales!

Agreed – IAC my early morning coffee is too important. Only place I can lose any more weight is my stomach (flab). Think I have gotten rid of the majority of my visceral fat & remainder is primarily loose skin, subcutaneous fat. Scan on Saturday may be interesting. Currently lightest I’ve been since high school, but I was skin & bones those days (maybe 68kg soaking wet). BMI currently 22.3 so I’m happy.
    BTW, Darwin is great this time of year. Weather is perfect; 30 degrees, not humid – even if that is a bit warm for my Canadian blood. IAC, I finish here early next week & my 1.5 year contract ends 30 June. Fly back to the Great White North on 1 July (Canada Day)! Have enjoyed my time in Aus but it’s time to go back to my normal life & get caught up on all the projects awaiting my return. Taking a few months off when I get back to make the most of our northern summer.

Had the body scan done today – VLA, which is a Bioelectric impedance analysis. According to a review I read, VLA is OK, may give higher body fat measurements than more accurate methods. Results are interesting to say the least.
    First background;
    My BMI is 22.5, and I have a bit of flab around the middle that I have been trying to reduce. Other than that I have little fat on my shoulders, arms, hips, etc. Based upon pictures used to questimmate body fat, I estimated my body fat at 17-18%. I work out & stay active but have a fairly sedentary job so have been using a “sedentary” TDEE of 1900 KCal.
    Results;
    Total body fat of 11.75%. Person doing the testing said that in their opinion my flab is mainly extra skin + water.
    Body Fat Mass Index of 2.6. Normal range is 4 – 5.
    Basil Metabolic rate of 1891 KCal, which is likely why I have been able to lose weight easily.

Having blood work done next month. Will be interesting to see the changes to last year, before I started the 5/2. Guess I’m officially on the 6/1 now.

Sounds like a good result. Can I ask what prompted you to get a body scan done? Does it scan for anything other than body fat?

I got the scan done out of curiosity – primarily to see what my fat %. Cost was only $25 AUD due the special promo. I believe that these types of scans are best suited for regular use to determine trends/issues & they are not as accurate as systems such as the body pod.
    I originally started 5/2 with the goal of hitting 170 lbs as I have had trouble staying below that weight in the past/my face would look “gaunt” (for want of a better word). Previous times I lost weight was via traditional calorie reduction & more manual labor (i.e. putting in paving stone patio around pool) so I was likely losing muscle mass. I still had more “stomach fat” than I wanted at 170 so went down to 165-7 for a month or so, hoping the fat may melt off/migrate. Wasn’t hard to stay at that weight so decided to push down to 160 sometime in early-mid May. Still have a bit of a stomach bulge – mainly noticeable when I sit down. Lost more fat off my shoulders/chest/hips, where I didn’t need to lose anything.
    Scan also measures lean muscle mass, nutrition & hydration levels – I was over hydrated, which could be sign of stress. Not sure how it estimates nutrition, but said I was bang in sweet spot.

Fascinating! I dread to think what my body fat count would be.

After a couple of booze free days I mixed myself a martini this evening, then another, and a third. Strangely enough, I seem to have eaten too much.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply.