Cals v kcals

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jcurt 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Calories and kilocalories are used interchangeably – which cannot be right. I am a retired engineer and careful use of units has been a way of life. Comparison of calorie counts in The Fast Diet book which shows calories in the menu plans but the tables at the back are in kcals. Compare individual items and you get the same number per 100g. Can a man, eat up to 600 cals or 600 kcals (= 600,000 cals) on a fasting day?

The name calorie is used for two units of energy.

The small calorie or gram calorie (symbol: cal) is the approximate amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius.[1]
    The large calorie, kilogram calorie, dietary calorie, nutritionist’s calorie or food calorie (symbol: Cal, equiv: kcal), which is the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree Celsius. The large calorie is thus equal to 1000 small calories or one kilocalorie (symbol: kcal).[1]

Hope this helps explain it. They are interchangable.

Take an example from the book. Page 145: 120g canned tuna = 119 calories (lower case “c”) ie 100g = 100 calories.. Page 195:100g tuna (canned) = 108 kcals. Ignore the 8 then 100 cals = 100 kcals. But 1 kcal is 1000 calories. Therefore one of the units is wrong.

The small calorie or gram calorie (symbol: cal) is the approximate amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius.[1]
    The large calorie, kilogram calorie, dietary calorie, nutritionist’s calorie or food calorie (symbol: Cal, equiv: kcal), which is the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree Celsius. The large calorie is thus equal to 1000 small calories or one kilocalorie (symbol: kcal).[1]

See above posted (copy and paste definition) you are looking at this as an engineer not a nutritionist.

Hope this helps.

Hello, RJDT – I can see how a lifetime of accuracy and vital precision would leave you with the heebie-geebies when faced with the sloppy use of cal/ kcal/ Cal on the forum here. I hope it won’t stop you participating in and gaining all the benefits from the 5:2 system itself and the combined experience and inspiration of all the forum members.
    I always use the letters ‘cal’, knowing I’m being less than precise and, I think, most contributors do too, taking it as read that we collectively know what we mean – the usual food measuring units rather than anything else. Certainly any yo-yo dieter and/or inveterate reader of supermarket food-labels knows their relative caloric values off by heart.
    Sorry if all this presses your buttons! – I do trust that you can adjust. The 2500 cal and 600 cal figures usually quoted for males represent the suggested maximums for Mr Average. For a more accurate, personalised guide, use the site’s calorie calculator (Click on the link on the right-hand side of the page, under the red heading ‘helpful site links’ and follow the advice there.)
    One of the things many people love about using the 5:2 method is that, unlike most other weight-loss programmes previously tried, they do not usually need to count calories slavishly every day – again, a rough idea is generally good enough. See what you think. I hope you succeed in your aims and will enjoy the process. Best wishes to you.

regardless of cals and kcals. there are a few errors in this book that add 100 calories to the 500 calorie day.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.