calories restriction or fast diet?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  fasting_me 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• okay so I just joined this community and I have a question.
    I have been dieting my whole life with the calories restriction diet, but I was reading today that the intermittent fasting diet is also great as well for weight loss, so my question is, what are the ups and downs of the fast diet, I’m not overweight and I don’t have a lot of fat, should I continue with the calories restriction diet or change to the fast diet? Thank You

Many people here and other places use intermittent fasting to cause calorie restriction. It works for many and the longer fasting times seem to fight against the body adapting to lower calorie expenditures.

I typically do two 36 hour water fasts a week. (over 1.5 years of it) On my 5 NFDs I generally eat a lot more than what I did with a full week of calorie restriction. However, I’m also eating more healthy food although I could do even better. On calorie restriction I was hungry almost all the time, losing lean body mass and putting on fat. It took me years to get to that sad state of affairs. Now I’m rarely hungry, I’m building muscle and losing fat.

There are downsides to fasting. Three biggest for me:
    1) It can be pretty anti-social
    2) There can be minor side effects, some trouble sleeping, headaches …
    3) People tend to think you are killing yourself

#1 I’m learning to deal with to avoid being anti-social. #2 has mostly gone away, my body is mostly adapted now. #3 is pretty much the same and tends to be an issue from time to time.

jen, I went into Fasting with only a little weight to lose. But I was attracted by the other health benefits. In the 5 years that I’ve been Fasting [ie: eating 600 calories 2 days/week], I have lost 6 pounds and kept it off. My cholesterol and glucose readings have improved. I feel healthier and enjoy a body that doesn’t jiggle a little [in the wrong places] when I walk. My appetite is less, which keeps me from overeating on Slow Days.
    Unlike Dykask, who’s opinions I respect, I do not find this Lifestyle to be antisocial. We’ve been invited to pot-lucks on a Fast Day, taken Fasting Foods with us to eat and share, and had a fine time. People teased us a little when we didn’t have dessert, but we explained that we’d be slimmer tomorrow and that was enough.

In short, calorie restriction and IF [the 16:8 plan] will help you to lose weight. If you want the longevity, cell-regeneration, and all the rest, get on board with Fasting.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.