Calorie confusion

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  kernowmum 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hi everyone I am a newcomer and somewhat confused. I need to lose 3 stone and am determined to do 3:4. I am weighing and measuing and so far so good,I have two books the Fast diet and the Fast diet recipe.
    I am worried about the lack of continuity regarding calorific values. I like porridge and blueberries as a breakfast and this is where my confusion started.
    The diet book
    Page 141: 145g Blueberries 37 cal
    Page 148: 50g Blueberries 28 cal
    Page 157: 100g Blueberries 25 cal
    Calorie Counter
    Page 187: 100g Blueberries 60 cal
    My confidence is somewhat shaken, if there are obviouse errors or typos here what about the rest of the calorie information.
    Help.. any ideas 🙂

Hi,

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/search/blueberries

100g fresh = 57 cals
    50 berries = 39 cals

Very nice with porridge, bit of Greek yogurt and a touch of honey, our favourite!

That is so annoying. Especially when you are trying to be good and accurate in what you are doing. I hate that sort of sloppiness.

Personally I have to admit that my calories are mostly guestimates rather than any attempt at accuracy.

I try not to stress about it. My TDEE is really only a very rough estimate, how many calories I consume a rough estimate, so I just decide that close enough is good enough.

My fasting days are a massive decrease in calories from what I would ordinarily eat so the weight is coming off and hopefully the fasting is doing it’s magic on helping my body be healthier.

I haven’t got the book so can’t comment on this particular confusion.

However, although a useful guide, it isn’t as simple an equation as calories in vs. calories out. That view has been severely challenged in recent times. If you eat simple carbs and easy-access fat (basically, if you live on cake) you’ll easily put on weight with a modest calorie surplus, or maybe no surplus at all. However, if you eat more protein and vegetable/nut fats then you might lose weight on the same calorie intake. This is because protein uses energy to break down, making fewer calories available for your body to use, and some of the fats you are unable to asborb, so you ate the calories but they just come out again 😉

Not to mention the diet of simple carbs messes with insulin, making you store more fat.

So if you find conflicting calorie info that might make you go over or under your target, don’t worry too much about it! It’s far more important to eat the right things in reasonable amounts, than to stress about calories. It’s an inexact science anyway; no-one is quite sure whether the calories measured by scientific analysis is actually what is available to your body to use.

And finally, blueberries aren’t going to make you fat. Have a few extra! They’re good for you 😛

Thank you, I guess I was over reacting a little. This forum is very helpful, week two coming up 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.