Binge / Fast cycle

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  romeinaday 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• In the 70’s when every calorie was counted, it led me to binge fast, and a lifetime of diet and gain with my weight.
    I was under the impression that the fast day was a calorie counted day, but not the 5 other days.
    On reading, it now appears that this diet is counting caloried strictly, although for different amounts every single day for ever.
    Will this not lead me again into this cycle?
    If I could have counted calories successfully in the last forty years I would not have the 4 stone extra weight I need to lose.
    I understand the science but am fearful of this constant calorie counting again.

Hi rome:

Being overweight does not have so much to do with counting calories as it does with overeating. For 5:2, the book’s advice is to eat 500 cal. or fewer on two diet days each week, and to eat ‘normally’ on the remaining five. The question becomes ‘What does normally mean?’

Some come to 5:2 and, assuming they are doing their diet days correctly, still find they do not lose, and may even gain, weight. That is because they are overeating on their non-diet days. The only way for them to correct that is to figure out their TDEE and count calories for a week or two to see how much they have been eating in relation to their TDEE. On discovering how much they are overeating, some give up the diet because they want to continue eating that much food. Others go about reducing their eating on their non-diet days until they start losing weight at an acceptable rate.

At the start, you don’t have to count calories on your non-diet days if you don’t want to. Do a month or two of correct two days a week diet days and see how much weight, if any, you have lost after that time. Then adjust. If you are not losing as fast as you like, you still don’t have to count calories – just make sure you start eating less on your non-diet days.

The less you eat, the more you lose.

Here are some tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Thank you. That is really helpful. I used fitness pal to keep track of the calories on my first fast day (Thursday) because all you do is scan the packet, and it tells you what the calories are.
    So far so good.
    And you are so right. I scanned pasta on my first non fast day.
    I have been ‘doing’ slimming world, with copious amounts of pasta and was shocked that it is over 300 cals per 100g dry weight.
    It was really helpful to limit the amount I had and did not really miss it.

What you wrote has given me the help I needed, as I did not want to go back into the cycle of my teens.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.