Been lurking since April…time to plunge on in. SPLASH.

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Been lurking since April…time to plunge on in. SPLASH.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Beach Baby 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hi I’ve been reading, laughing and learning since starting this WOL in April 2013. I’m from the Southern Hemisphere and will join in the discussions on that forum once I get the hang of posting but thought I would quickly introduce myself.

Beach Baby seemed an apt moniker as I live right on a beach and I was struggling for inspiration, not very imaginative but it will have to do. Since starting in April I have lost 7Kg and many cm from waist and thighs. I have always been within a healthy weight range for my age and height but at 52yo had just started to nudge the outer limits of that range. Losing some weight, as a female, is always a bonus but it was the health benefits that really attracted me to this WOE.

I’ve never been on a diet in my life (nor a forum for that matter), with the exception of a short stint 20 years ago when my cholesterol was up a bit and my Dr had me give up dairy for 3 months. I lived, breathed and dreamed about butter, cream and cheese the whole time and it was a nightmare(slight exaggeration for dramatic effect). Once my cholesterol was back under control I swore I would never go through such deprivation again (spoken like a spoilt westerner, we really have no idea what deprivation is) That is also what is so appealing about this…I really have not felt deprived.

I’ve seen the TV show twice, read the book and check in here regularly for tips and advice. So far it seems to be working, including getting through my first winter in years where I did not take any anti-inflammatories for arthritis pain in my ankle. Not sure if it is the health benefits or carrying less weight around but whatever it is it’s working.

I’ve now reached my goal weight and am just playing around with alternating between 6:1 and 5:2 for the health benefits. I have been doing this for so long now that my body really craves a ‘fast’ day every 2-3 days. That’ll do for now.

Hey Beach Baby!

Well I think there’s not much to say towards the whole ‘welcome, and here are some tips’ thing I usually do.

Congrats on the good results so far! Still losing 7kg with not so much to lose must feel good, hitting that lower bit of the healthy range again.
    What you say about deprivation is two, on two sides – first, this diet does let you eat what you want, making it so much easier and a good WOL for a lot of people. Second, a lot of people really, really don’t know what deprivation is. Most western countries have clean, running water everywhere, more food than they can imagine eating and warm, comfortable homes. It’s sometimes a bit funny for me when I hear people saying “Oh I could never go a day without food” or “I could never fast, ever, I really need to eat every few hours”. It’s all in the head!

Hi Beach Baby 🙂
    Look forward to you joining us in the Southern Hemispherites topic – I am sure you will have a lot to share 🙂 You will soon get the hang of posting, if you haven’t already – this is the first forum I have ever contributed to, too.

It is interesting to have someone on this WOL who has not dieted all their life – can I ask whether you did anything in particular to maintain a healthy weight up til now?

Cheers
    Sassy

Welcome Beachbaby!

I have not been around for very long but I enjoy the stories and tips on this forum.

Like you I never had a problem with my weight and I just want to lose a couple of pounds to get into the lower part of my healthy range. Similar to you I always believed, losing a couple of pounds can never harm and I have never been on a diet.

Great to hear that it seemed to have helped your arthritis!
    Stef.

Thanks Nika, Sassy and Stef for your welcome.It was exciting to log on and see a few replies to my inaugural post.

Nika I can’t imagine what it must be like to never know where your next meal is coming from, nor when. At least with this WOL, as difficult as it can sometimes be, I am always able to give myself a good hard talking to to not be so soft and spoilt. We have the luxury of knowing that tomorrow we can eat what we want.

Sassy in answer to your question I think that ‘genetics’ plays a part and good eating habits established in childhood. Both my parents were within healthy weight ranges most of their lives but my mother managed to pass on some typical ‘female’ insecurities about weight to both my sister and I. I’ve never been too far away from a set of scales, not OCD but weekly for most of my adult life. That way it has been easier to rein it in before it got too far out of control.

I’m also from a family that loves to cook (and eat). Conversations often start with ‘what did you have for tea last night?’, ‘what are you having for dinner tonight?’ Just another reason why this WOE suits my lifestyle.

I work fulltime and have found that Mondays and Thursdays have been best for ‘fasting’ but am flexible if a social engagement lands on one of those days. Still, even when I’ve been on leave throughout this period I’ve tried to exercise enough willpower to remain disciplined.

I’d initially set my goal for 3 months and after successfully achieving that I went off to my GP and got all my usual blood tests. Again, luckily, they’d always been normal but now they were ‘more’ normal.

I am also amazed at my changed shape. There were weeks when not much was happening on the scales, but like a lot of you have discovered, my measurements,waist and thighs particularly, were reducing. I’ve always been a bit self conscious in jeans but now for the first time since being a teenager I can look in the mirror and think “I look hot!” (joking…but I am far less critical of my appearance).

Anyway I might wander over to the “Southern Hemisphere” post and have a read and laugh there. Keeping a sense of humour is so important(and not taking ourselves too seriously).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.