Any Canadians on the 5:2 Program?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  judytoronto 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hi ya’ll, I’m in Canada and just found this lovely board. Looking for some friendly support as I embark on the first day (today). I’m 54 years young and 16lbs heavier than I was 3 years ago. Thanks to menopause and my insane sugar habit which I have given up effective today (wish me luck there).

Hi Long2beMe. I’m 57, and I’m in the 4th year of working on weight loss. At this point, I’m down 54 lbs, but for the past year my weight loss has stalled and the 5:2 diet looks like it will get things going again. I’d like to lose another 100 lbs.

I hear you regarding sugar, it is worse than cocaine addiction, or so I’ve been told. I have found the more I eat healthy foods like fruit and vegetables, my cravings for sweets go way down.

I’m in my first week with 5:2, and I fast on Mondays and Thursdays. It would be great to support one another, and hopefully more Canadians will chime in. It’s a big help to know what foods/brands/etc., are in the Canadian stores. Broth, vegetables, beans, and 1 fruit are what I have done for the first 2 days of fasting. Not very exciting I know, but they’re all low calorie foods so I can load up on them!

Hi there! I’m 43 and in the Vancouver area! Tomorrow will be day 1 for me! I think I will also be fasting on Mondays and Thursdays and they are days that I usually work so hopefully I’m too busy to feel hungry! I have about 80 lbs to lose….probably more.

I’ve tried posting this twice but so far it’s not letting me! Hopfully this time I won’t do whatever I did wrong!

I’m getting started on this because a couple of weeks ago I applied for a new job. It’s with an airline (Jazz) and it’s for flight attendants. At the time I applied it wasnt’ really a job I wanted but I wanted to get my resume back out there and maybe if I was really lucky get an interview for practice. I’ve been in the same job for a long time so it’s been a good 10 years since my last interview! I would love to get on with an airline because I love to travel but was more thinking customer service at the airport…that sort of thing.

Anways, yesterday I got an email saying I’ve been selected for an interview! So now I’m freaking out! lol plus the more I think about it, the more I kind of do want the job! Alas, I know that while they can’t come right out and say that you have to be under a certain weight the reality is that I do not have the body for working on small aircraft! I know it, and after the interview they will know it too!

So….I’m going to do the interview (thankfully it’s online) and I’m going start this program, and maybe in a year or two when I can fit through the emergency exits of a Dash-8 airplane I will re-apply! 🙂

I haven’t told anybody all that so shhhhhh…. 🙂

Good luck to you guys! How’s week 1 going so far??

Hi there Imck55! It sounds like giving yourself up to 2 years to get your weight down is a reasonable time frame. What I’ve gathered from reading the different posts here is that the 5:2 diet is not a fast way to lose weight, and that’s a good thing, I think. My own experience is that even losing 2 lbs per month is better than losing 15 lbs and then gaining back 20.

Week 1 was okay for me. I ended up on my 2nd day of fasting eating an extra 300 calories of pure junk (ice cream!!!) but I keep in mind that this is a plan to have a calorie deficit WEEKLY, not daily. So I had 1 fruit and 2 cups of broth for my breakfast on Friday, and that helped get me back on track.

I agree that fasting on a work day helps a lot. Many posters here say it helps to keep busy, and the hunger pangs do pass.

What’s your fasting day menu like? My go-to food when I’m really hungry is vegetable broth. It’s only 12 calories per cup, and I have up to 8 cups on those days which comes in at ~96 calories. Can’t beat that! I also have 1 fruit for “breakfast”, a big bowl of plain salad (no dressing, but I’m getting used to it) for “lunch”, and then at dinner a large bowl of vegetable soup with beans. I’m careful to not add oil to any foods I’m eating on a fast day. That’s a great way to add calories.

When is your interview? I’m sure it will go well, you sound like a positive person and that always opens doors. I wish you the best! Being in customer service sounds like it would be a really good fit, and once you’ve lost weight, a job of being a flight attendant and travel will be yours!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.