A newby

This topic contains 34 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Nika 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

• Hi

I hope I have found a diet that actually works for me, my first day had 590 calories and thought here I go again heading for failure, but the next fast day managed the 500 and did not feel hungry, why is that? Then had guests staying for the weekend with lots of food, cake and wine included but still managed to lose one pound, so now on the second week and yesterday the 3rd fast day and had 488 calories, no plans for the week end so may see some results.

I have been doing weight watchers for 2 years and did lose one stone but put it all back on after a holiday and a hip replacement where I became a couch potato with friends visiting with sweets and cake, those 2 years cost me Β£480 and no weight loss. So made the decision that no more money spent on dieting, so this is free apart from the book.

I like the thought of having this forum where there is help and encouragement and knowing how others are getting on is a good motivator. I did enjoy the ww meetings and met some lovely people so this could replace that.

So onwards and upwards hope I can do it.

Hi RitaMc, I’m sure you’ve found the diet that works for you! I’d hazard a guess that you were able to eat less on your second fast day because either your stomach had started to shrink and you were satisfied earlier or maybe you’d eaten a little more the day before. I wouldn’t beat yourself up about guests staying and wine and cake being consumed. I think that’s why the diet works for us because you can eat relatively freely (within reason) on the other five days.

I’ve done Weight Watchers, Rosemary Conley, Zone Diet etc. All good if you can stick to them all of the time which ultimately is extremely difficult. This is very manageable because of the flexibility is allows.

I’ve found the forum very helpful. There are some very supportive people here who have been doing this for a long time. πŸ™‚

Ali43

Hi Ali43, thanks for that support that is exactly what I need lots of encouragement to keep me going, I am really excited about this diet, although I have with every other diet I have started but I can see this working for me because I can continue to have my social life with always involves food, just met friend in M and S for coffee but we did share a toasted tea cake, and great that I was not counting points and then being disappointed in myself for going over yet again. Tomorrow fasting, not good to do it on a Friday but after having guests not an option but knowing only one day I can cope. Will be back to Monday and Wednesday next week, I weigh myself everyday and I saw there was a debate about that but it works for me and I have an app on my phone My fitness Pall that counts my calories on my fast days for me which I have found to be really helpful, just now need to find a variety of food that I can have. I know M and S do a ready meal with noodles which is very low, but not in mine so will try and get some in another M and S any suggestions for meals that are only 200 calories.

Hi and welcome,
    I too have just joined and did a fast day today, and one 3 weeks ago..that I hated, but decided to try one more time!
    It was good,
    I went through the book and wrote all the cals of foods less than say 100 cals..give or take and made up some menus for the day ( although I calculated vermicelli wrong, on Line it was less, so thought the book was wrong, but the book was right, no wonder I was full, ate double what I should have! But it was still only 500 for the day.)
    I wrote about it on a thread about ‘ finally fasted today’ or something if you want to know what I ate.

I think doing 2 days as you did was wonderful and having a tea cake etc is the reward, dont feel guilty about it! Guilt is a wasted emotion.

Just commit to 2 days, even if the food is always the same, cos then It is easy, and you dont have to think about it.
    Then enjoy the other 5 but not in a binging way.
    Use food that you get more bang for your buck.

Congrats on the hip replacement, my dad had it, worst pain ever after the surgery he said, so well done on getting through that, this will be a breeze.

I hope you have lots of success.
    New way of eating…and once down to where you want to be, one day a week having a ‘ detox, healthy day’ will be no hardship I am sure ( at least that’s what I am telling myself!!)

Nicola, in nz

Hi RitaMc and you are very welcome.

It is very refreshing not to have to count points etc on a non-fast day. Makes life feel more normal and because no food is totally off limits, the really calorific stuff doesn’t hold the appeal it once did. I think this is why I’ve managed this diet without feeling like I’m missing out.

I tend to do all the cooking myself. My favourite low calorie recipe would be a vegetable stack. All you do is layer thin slices of aubergine, courgette, squash and pepper or whatever combo of veg you like in a deep cake tin or loaf tin. In between each layer you put a ladle of homemade tomato sauce (fry off chopped onion, garlic, oregano in a small amount of olive oil, (chilli if you want), add a can or two of chopped tomatoes, salt & pepper. Leave to simmer and that’s it). Finish with a ladle of the sauce and top with a sprinkling of Parmesan. It might look a little dry when it goes into the oven but the vegetables will moisten during cooking. Cover with foil. Put in the oven @ 200 for about an hour but check to make sure it’s cooked before you slice it. You can slice what you want and reheat in microwave.

Ali

That sounds like a great recipe! Too bad I don’t have an oven… or a cake tin or loaf tin. Gotta love being an intern in a “borrowed” appartment…

Hey Rita, and welcome to the forums! I’m sure you’ll get a lot of support around here, we’re all in it together here!

Nika, do you have a slow cooker? Crockpot? ( beg, borrow, steal one)
    Do it in that on low for maybe 5 -8 hrs, would probably work. I have done lasagne in mine.

That’s a great idea from Dumpling! They are very reasonably priced and would open up a world of culinary possibilities! Good luck.

Thanks! The other problem I have besides the pans however, is the thing they gave me to cook on… It has two settings, “on” and “off” and then just blasts my food with microwaves (at least I think). So it either burns my food or doesn’t do anything. (It’s quite frustrating)
    I’m able to make soup but that’s about it. I’m going out tonight to look for a better pan though, hopefully that won’t burn the food as quickly as the stuff they have here… For another three months I don’t want to spend a lot of money on a new cooking thing though.

Thanks for the idea though! Never cooked with a slow cooker or crockpot before…

Good luck with the pot!
    Maybe a copper based one? Try and find one second hand at a charity shop. You can always sell it back to them when you leave ( I know, charity shops don’t buy stuff off you!)

Yes because they all understand English in charity shops here πŸ˜‰

Not speaking Chinese has been a huge issue for me so far, because don’t be fooled, practically NO-ONE here speaks English. At least not in your normal day-to-day routine of going to the supermarket / other stores, getting food, getting a haircut… all those things I need assistance with from a colleague.
    I go to the supermarket of course, but it’s all gestures and smiling and hoping I didn’t do anything wrong…

Oops, sorry ..where are you! ???
    Thought you were in England or the US

I’m in New Zealand.
    We speak weird English….

Bahaahaha! We speak weird English. Kinda more like inglush….

Want some more fush and chups ?

Or a pin to fill that form in?!!!

Barrrghghghgghgh!!

@nika
    “Not speaking Chinese has been a huge issue for me so far, because don’t be fooled, practically NO-ONE here speaks English.”

Interesting language and culture adventure that you are going through.

It may have big payoffs for you in the future?

➰

dumpling and Iwant2B
    Falling out of my chair at your “English”, I’m sure my accent sounds “unusual” to some.
    I love “Flight of the Conchords”

πŸ™‚

@ Dumpling, that would be China πŸ˜‰ Hence your name actually is very appropriate. I’m travelling on to New Zealand in January though, looking forward to be able to just walk up to people and have a conversation with them!!!

And yeah Rocky, that’s what I’m hoping! I don’t like it here, never have. But I do think it’s good for my uhm… development? In the sense that after I’ve done this I can do anything… πŸ˜‰

Oh and uhm… Sup bru! D’ya wan anuther chup bru? I’m parched as!

Hi Ali

Thanks for the recipe I will give it go, you did not say how many calories it has, can I eat it all or will I have to share.

Hi Nicola, thanks for yours response, I have lost 3lb in 2 weeks so I should be pleased with that. It is Saturday and I fasted yesterday and want to eat everything in sight but trying not to, was going to fast on Monday but friend just invited me out to lunch for her birthday so will have to do Tuesday instead but that is the good thing about this diet you can adjust to suit your social life.

I just hope that I can stick with this, as have never stuck to any other diet I have tried, so with this forum and all you lovely people it just may give me the motivation I need, hope you have had a successful week.

Nika, you have seen the movie!! I’m beached as….
    January will be an ok month to travel here. Sometimes still the odd cool day, but better than December.
    In jan this year we will be in Disneyland!!!! ( and 3 days in Fiji coming back from Europe) we upped the mortgage.
    Enjoy nz

Ritamc, this one just might work. Will be a good experiment to try on you. Seeing you know your diets!!!!

Haha yeah I saw that clip, it’s hilarious. I even showed it at college when we did a short show and tell about NZ for our International Communication class. I think my teacher liked it but didn’t dare admit it…

I really hope I’ll be able to travel there, I’m having trouble arranging a visa >.< China sucks that way.

Have fun at Disney! Hug Merida for me, she’s pretty πŸ˜‰

And Rita, have fun with your friend!

Merida? Sure, I’ll hug her ( who/ what ever she is?!!)

Fast day for me….whoaa! Went 21 hours before having a boysenberry smoothie ( just water and ice, no ice cream , milk or cream!! Boo hoo :(. )

Crossing everything for your visa

Haha Merida is the girl in the newish Disney movie “Brave”. It’s a good movie, you should see it! Disney movies have become as much fun for adults as kids… I saw this one in the theaters with my mother when it came out, and she’s past 50 and enjoyed it.

Every day is a fast day for me! πŸ˜€ I’ll try to get to 22-23 hours.

Bloody visa. I cringe everytime I think about it…

Oh!! Ok, thanks.
    It might be showing on the plane..whoaaoo

Oh while you’re at it, also watch:
    The Princess and the Frog
    Rapunzel
    They’re also really good. I could list many, many more but let’s keep it at those three for now…

Hi RitaMc, the calorie content depends on the combination of veg and amount of oil you use. Steer clear of starchy veg, go easy on the oil, use tinned tomatoes with no added extras and a small amount of Parmesan and you’re probably looking at around 400 cals for the whole thing. It’s huge though, so you might want just half with a serving of protein. πŸ™‚

Hi I have just registered. Tomorrow I start my first fast day. I go to yoga in the evening so I reckon it is the best day to start . I have the squash soup made but I am struggling with what I should have for breakfast I usually have porridge with berries. Any suggestions

Welcome Catherine,I would try and ‘ fast’ for as long as poss from tonight. Which is the purpose of this way of life. The longer the better, so if you can have a herb tea for breakfast and don’t eat till after 1 that would be better, and then have the soup…then more teas/ water and have a meal before yoga of something light Like a salad and then after yoga, some porridge with water..no berries unless you have calories left over.
    Then you go to bed, not starving

Try and skip breakfast. Cos once you start eating, your body expects it!
    My 3 cents anyway.

Hey Catherine, I usually don’t plan ahead a lot, but then again I only eat one meal in the evening every day.
    I guess for breakfast maybe some light yoghurt could work as well, with berries then of course. But remember, only eat when you’re hungry! So if tomorrow morning you find yourself not hungry, why not skip breakfast? It also gives you room to add a little more calories to later meals, when you may actually be hungry πŸ˜‰

Thanks so much for your help today wasn’t too bad I drank water ++++ I did use up my calories too early in the day but I am sure I will get into the swing of it. I am looking forward to non fast day tomorrow though !

Hmm yeah using up your cals early in the day is something I truly dread… Looking forward to eating at night usually helps me keep sane during the day!
    But no worries, next time you’ll do better and it’ll feel easier and easier as long as you stick to it!

Thanks yes I will be better prepared for my next fast day I haven’t decided yet when that will be but I now realise I have to be very smart about I will spend my 500 calories ,!

Oh yes, you must spend them very wisely…get the most bang for your buck.

Yup, I try to go for large volume, low cals. So a big salad with some chicken or tuna. And I’m well able to keep it below 500 cals because I don’t use any salad dressings ^^ By the time I get to the meal I’m usually hungry enough everything tastes amazing, even just plain lettuce.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply.