5:2 Day 1 – A lifetime of indulgence

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Nika 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Hello everyone, I am a 27 year old beginner of the 5:2 and today is my first fast day! I have done well so far today, having fasted for 16 hours (and its only 3pm, with at least another 4 hours until dinner) and Im feeling ok so far. Severely lacking in faith however….I have never done well on diets and I just cannot find the joy in exercise, though I continue to try. But fingers crossed, this is the begining of the end of being overweight!

Current weight: 150lbs
    Goal weight: 133lbs (17lbs loss)

Wish me luck!

Hello Natasha!
    As a fellow 27 year old I’m very happy to welcome you!! I too have never been successful at loosing weight. I would think about it a lot, talk about it a lot, and try really hard, but anyone looking in on my life from the outside would think that I am happy just trying to exercise more and more.
    I think I’m about 6 weeks in now, and about 7.5lb down, so halfway my first goal. More importantly the fasting seems to solve my insulin issues, so as long as I stick to food that I know is good for me during the day, I feel so much more in control of my food. Unbelievably so. I now actually find it easier not to eat on fast days. I have 300cal soup in the freezer, and runs of tuna in the pantry if I get hangry (hungry angry) but so far haven’t needed them.
    This morning the possibility entered my head of being able to lose weight until I got to my goal weight, and then just adjust things until I stabilise. Previously I just thought I would always be too big for my liking, and that I would always be trying and not succeeding for the rest of my life. Now I feel like it will still be a challenge sometimes, but a challenge I am in control of, and can succeed at.
    Best of luck to you! I look forward to hearing how you go 😀

hi Natasha and welcome, dont worry to much about exercise this early on, ( i take very little and have still lost 47lbs) just focus on making the plan work for you, best of luck, and keep us posted on your progress, xx

Hi Natasha
    Just to wish you all the best with 5:2. I’m now into my 11th month, and although I seemed tp plateau for a month or so, ( which is apparently normal), but am now 35lbd lighter. Apart from that, my general health is fantastic, energy levels high, and feeling very fit! I have a lot more to lose than you, but am on my way!
    So… Do this diet whatever way suits you and your lifestyle….it really works!

Hi Natasha,

I have done four weeks now, a mix of calorie reduced diet and now a 4:3 version of the 5:2 diet. I have lost 4 kgs / 8.5lbs in 4 weeks. At some point I used to be a size 12 and on Saturday I bought pants size 8!!!

I have no problems with the fast days but I prefer not to eat anything during the whole day until supper. I get hungrier if I eat something inbetween. I drink tons of tea and water though.
    Hang in there, it works!

Stef.

Hi Natasha good luck with the diet, if I can do it, you can.
    I’ve been on it 4 weeks now and have never lasted that long on a diet before!
    I’ve lost 5lbs, its coming off slowly, I’m happy with that and I hope this is my new way of life.
    I dont eat until 2sh, have a wee healthy snack, like small bowl of homemade soup, then a bigger meal in eve, like scrambled eggs.
    Just try and keep busy, and tell yourself you can have your usual food tomorrow. I seem to make healthier choices on non fast days 🙂
    Keep posting on here, you will get loads of support.
    Cheers
    Elaine

Wow Guys, thank you so much for your support! I did not expect that kind of support so quickly but it means a lot to have people going through it with you, so sincerely thank you.

Daay 1 went well, I had a 380 calorie soup for dinner at 6 and then a few mouthfuls of bread and caponata so I think I’m under 500 calories.

Iwant2Bincontrol I am just like you. I always talked about losing weight, started diets and never finished them, spent money on gyms and weight watchers etc but to no avail. I hate being a slave to my food addiction! But hopefully this will be the end to that unsuccessful cycle.

You guys all seem to have done really well, congrats! I look forward to keeping track with you all and swapping success stories (fingers crossed!) Xxx

Hey Natasha! I’m gonna jump on the wagon for a minute as well and also wish you all the best for the coming weeks! Good job on just fasting through the day on your first day, that’s a great start to your journey! And remember that the first weeks are usually the hardest so if the start is this easy for you… 😉

So yeah, keep track with us! Some people on here also measure, they don’t just weigh – because your measurements sometimes tell a different story than the scales. Just an idea.
    Oh and it’s not just about success stories, you can come on here if things suck for a moment as well! We’re quite trained in keeping people on the fast diet wagon.

Thanks for your kind words Nika 🙂 I went to measure myself the other day but I could not find a tape measure anywhere so I used a peice of string to measure around my mid-section (belly button height) and tied a knot where the two ends met. It’s a bit primitive but until I get a tape measure it will have to do! Hopefully it will be a boost to see the knots move along the string!

I’m so glad to have people like you guys to share my experience with. Why are you guys doing 5:2 and what has been hardest for you?

I started 5:2 because my mum suggested it, I watched the doco, and have always been able to be super super committed for two or three days, so I thought it sounded like my Answer.
    I have carried on because it is the first thing that has worked for me (I wasn’t even in control of my weight while training for an Ironman). I have never consistently lost weight, so to be losing slowly and steadily makes my heart feel lighter in my chest.
    Hardest for me… The ‘5’ / ‘normal’ days when the kids (not mine – I’m au pairing in Spain) are home from school ‘sick’ so I can’t take myself away from the pantry. Or exercise like normal – exercise keeps me in a positive frame of mind so is very important to me.
    Initially I got a bit grumpy on fast days so I had to eat some before they got home on the days they actually went to school.
    Making food for them can be tricky when it’s something I really want to eat!!
    Now that I have lost some weight and am feeling pretty good, I am having to be a bit more conscious about staying motivated. Just because I am back to below my standard weight doesn’t mean it’s my goal weight!
    Hardest of all is how i feel when I have something with gluten in it, and then just carry on eating EVERYTHING. Still losing weight though despite all the hiccups I have had!!

Actually I was looking for a forum on daily IF, so the 18:6 approach for example. I stumbled upon this forum and was a bit confused with what everyone was saying, and I didn’t really get it for a little while – but then I got the logic, it made sense to me and I incorporated it into my other IF. So I do daily fasts and 5:2, eating one meal every single day (so not just on my fast days). My results have been awesome, I lost 28.6 lb overall since coming to China over 3 months ago, of which 19.8 in the past five weeks. The most at first though, I’m now losing 2-4 lb a week. Which is still quite awesome.
    Oh I also ditch carbs 6 out of 7 days. This can be a challenge…

The hardest for me was to ditch alcohol. My mom’s an alcoholic, and I’ve started showing a lot of the symptoms myself – to the point I was one of those people buying the strongest beer for the lowest price just to get that buzz. Daily, I should add.
    Now I sometimes allow myself a beer on the weekend, but want to cut it down to just drinking with others, not alone anymore. I think that’s a good start.

Wow Nika, that’d quite an impressive regime you are doing. I admire your dedcation and your results are clearly amazing. Keep up the good work my dear!

I can sympathise with you Iwant2Bincontrol, although I dont cook for children on my fast days I find it so difficult to see my husband or co-workers eating food when I feel really hungry. Today is fast day #2 and I walked past a cafe on my way to work….I sniffed the air so hard to try to get the most of the gorgeous bacon smell! Huge congrats on doing the Ironman, those events are so physically demanding.

So being as impatient as I am, I have been weighing daily…I am down by 2lbs as of this morning! I am on my second fast day and am finding today harder than my first fast day, but I am defo feeling hungrier. But its going well, I have not eaten since 9pm last night so I have fasted for 14 hours so far. 7-8 hours til dinner…

Congrats on losing 2lbs! 🙂

I gained 2lbs past week, had two binge days. But getting back into the swing of things again today!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply.