2nd fast day this week. Will it get easier?

This topic contains 21 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  ali43 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

• Hi All

Just looking for a bit of encouragement please! I’ve just completed my 2nd fast day and found it a fair bit harder than my first. I’m assuming that this is because I’m watching what I eat on the other days too now and when I did my first fast day on Monday, I’d eaten quite a lot the day before! Will this get easier? I’ve really had to reason with myself today. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Ali

I agree, today was my second fast day as well and I was a little hungrier today than on Monday. I just tried to keep busy and I had lots of water, herbal teas and just focused on other things then did a workout. It helped and now I am going to leave the kitchen area, have another cup of tea and go read. I am sure it gets easier, I too ate a lot on the weekend but did eat sensibly the other eat days. Hang in there…we can do this and from what I hear it works and gets better!!! Good luck
    Rose

Hi, My second fast day was yesterday and I left eating a low fat youghurt (142 cals) till midday. However, I felt like I needed to eat all afternoon. The evening was also bad. Watching Jamie Oliver didn’t help. Think I went over the 500 cals by eating some zucchinis and tiny toms for a snack, but felt that was better than eating cheese or chips or baked potatoes that were sitting in the fridge!
    I then limited food this morning to try to make up for it. I’ve seen so many friends just swear by this way of eating that I need to give it a good go as they’ve all had fabulous results. Just hope it gets easier. What I have found as a good ‘tide me over’ are cups of tea. Trying to go green, but alternating black tea with a little milk seems to feel like a small treat.
    Good luck and keep me posted with your day 3!

It really does get easier. Promise. If you can force yourself through a few fast days some kind of mind flip happens – you realise you won’t drop down dead if you don’t eat for 24 hours. You find you like the pride that comes from exerting your will. You can almost enjoy feeling hungry. You actually start looking forward to fast days so you can be busy with other stuff.

One word to keep front of mind is “tomorrow”. The minute you feel tempted just say “tomorrow” and walk away. And when it does start to get easier try “for the rest of my life”. Just imagine a happy healthy you, fasting for two days a week for the rest of your long and happy life.

Thank you to all who replied. It really has helped reading the advice. RoBa – it’s good to know that it gets easier. I have had success with other diets and did enjoy the sense of control but fell off the wagon because it was a daily commitment rather than just twice weekly. That said, I’m 43 now and more inclined to think about my health longer term, as you say ‘a long and happy life’.

iands/Rose – I watched cookery shows on Monday night (my first fast day) and I’ve concluded that it might be a good idea to pick up a book instead! It all looked far too appealing! I’ve invested in some green and mint tea and find that helpful too. Good luck with your day 3, I’ll be interested to find out how you get on. I think some mutual encouragement will be beneficial.

Thanks again.

It does get a lot easier! 🙂 when you first start you are so aware of the fact that you are fasting it follows you around all day! Lol! You then get to a point of normality and you just do it! And it didn’t take me long to get to that point – a couple of weeks that’s all. Herbal tea and water during the day. Just find a fast day routine you are happy with and go with it. (Mine is breakfast 7am then evening meal at 7pm) all I’m really doing is skipping lunch! Simples. Been doing this since 16th August and I have lost 13lbs! Which has help me get to my 3 stone loss this year! I do calorie count on my non fast days to keep me on track. I try to keep it real but everything in moderation! So nothing is off limits!

Good luck and enjoy! 🙂

Thank you tickatape and congratulations on your amazing weight loss. You must feel like a different person. I too am keeping a food diary on my non-fast days and have to say that I’m amazed at how easy it is to consume more than 2000 calories, especially when a couple of glasses of wine are thrown in the mix! It’s great to know that this will get easier. Yesterday I had an almost panicky feeling at the thought of not eating til 7pm. I eat all my calories in one go as I find if I start eating at lunch, I really can’t stop thinking about food and am more likely to give in. I really hope this works for me as I’ve been up and down the scales for as long as I can remember! I’ve got a wardrobe full of lovely clothes that don’t fit and end up wearing leggings every day which I hate!! I would like to be wearing something other than leggings on Christmas Day (this year)!

Thanks for the reassurance and encouragement. I think the support here will be what makes the difference for me this time. I don’t feel like I’m doing it on my own.

Ali

Hi Ali43,
    I too started this week and found the first day easy enough tho I found myself constantly assessing whether or not I was hungry! I found eating “brunch” of fat free yogurt and berries followed by a banana (approx 195 cals) around 11.30am kept me going til dinner time whereas I would normally have breakfast as soon as I get up. My second day was yesterday and I felt hungrier but I kept telling myself that when I felt hungry that meant my body was going to start burning fat. I’m not sure if this is scientifically accurate but it’s enough to convince me to just have a glass of water! Hope your first weigh-in goes well.

Hey ali43, leggings (and v baggy tops) have been my default wardrobe items for too long too and I think it’s a great idea to visualise Christmas day wearing something nice – let’s go for it!

I do the same as cc79, a glass of water or herbal tea throughout the day helps…..and whenever I really fancy something…..repeating the mantra ”I can have it tomorrow”.

Good luck y’all

Hi Lozlex, great to meet a co-wearer of leggings here! Wishing you success with your diet. I’ve definitely noticed that my appetite feels reduced today. A bit odd given that yesterday was a fast day. I thought I’d feel starving but had 2 poached eggs early on and still feel satiated. This may just be the plan for me!

Hi ali43, it does get easier trust me, of course there will be days when you feel hungrier, but make sure you drink lots of fluids, and make sure you keep your mind occupied, and remember tomorrow is an eating day, but you know when you step on the scales and see the weight reducing, it makes those difficult days easier, believe me i have lost 19lbs now, we have moved home and amid all the stress and chaos, I never gave up, I just love this way of life, thank you FAST DIET

Thank you funtimebobby! 19lbs is fantastic, well done! I’ve just moved house too. Maintaining your healthy diet throughout such a stressful period is a huge achievement.

I’ve had to have a word with the other half who isn’t doing 5:2. He has a sweet way of offering to get me a glass of wine at about 6pm every evening (habits of a lifetime) and it is harder to say ‘no thanks’ to his kind offer than to not get myself a glass.

I have my own version of ‘fat pants’ – they are six pocket workers trouser with an elasticated waist band. Although I’m looking forward to fitting into some skinny things around Christmas (just wait til my sisters all see me under 70kg for the first time in a hundred years!) I love my worker pants. Just have to buy the S instead of the L …

In January I was wearing size 20(UK) jeans this weekend I have just bought a pair in size 16 skinny(ish) ;-)! Watch out size 14’s – here I come! 🙂

RoBa, I can identify with the glass of wine offering! We have the same habit in this house. I’m appreciating a glass more now that I’m not having one every day.

Well done Tickatape. It’s just great when you can slip on a smaller size.

I’m fasting today because I’m shopping with my mum tomorrow and we’ll probably have lunch out somewhere. Not so easy on a Sunday after a bit of a late night last night. One thing I’ve noticed – I went to a restaurant last night and was largely unimpressed with my meal. Normally I’d’ve ploughed through regardless of enjoyment but last night was different. I ate the bits I enjoyed and left quite a mountain of pasta, was full and was able to forego a dessert! Changes are definitely in progress.

Thanks again for the words of encouragement.

Ali

I’m a long way into this 5:2 thing now, and I’m convinced it will be something I do for the rest of my life, but I have noticed I’m getting ‘lazier’ on my fast days. I’m not being so regimented or strict. That will account for the current ‘plateau’. So, today I’m REALLY fasting. …

Hi RoBa. Well I certainly need to be strict today! I’ve been such a pig this weekend. It was my daughter’s 13th birthday on Saturday and I tucked into the party food big time and then washed it down with plenty of wine. I logged all my calories into Myfitnesspal and was horrified that 2 Roses chocolates were way north of 100 cals, I had a lot more than 2! I had a little too much wine last night and my head hurts this morning. Not a great start to a fast day! On the plus side my husband will be joining me on fast days now. I hope that he will take it seriously enough not to offer me wine on a Monday or Thursday, we’ll see.

Good luck with your strictness today!

Ali43: Haha logging is such a good way to horrify oneself!!! I have just started logging food, and it is such a good reality check for me. I managed to eat more than 1000cal yesterday after lunch, just needing ‘something sweet’. Four chocolate digestives and some kid’s cereal later – it didn’t seem that bad until plugged it into myfitnesspal. Doh!

Iwant2Bincontrol (oh how that name must reflect the feelings of a lot of us on here!). I’m even more horrified now as your reference to chocolate digestives has just reminded me that I ate a couple of Oreo’s yesterday and forgot to log! Am wondering if I’ll see a shift on the scales this week given my indulgence this weekend. 🙁

Good to see people doing so well on 5:2 or 4:3. As a professional dieter over the years I have lose probably well over a 1000 lbs and gained well over 1100 lbs. I am having great success on the Fast Diet. I have on advantage over some of you as I do not drink alcohol. The calories in alcohol can be staggering. For you that are logging your foods, keep it up. It is an excellent way to track accurately what you consume. To go with logging is to weight your foods and accurately derive the calories. Many people guess and guessing leads to frustration, when you don’t lose or horror of horrors you actually gain some weight. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks for your post which are very encouraging.

Ali43 do you exercise? Maybe you could do two Oreos extra worth ;p Good luck for the weighing!!

Hardjudge / professional dieter. Glad to hear you have had success with 5:2! Today is my first day and I am cautiously hopeful. 7pm and still have my dinner (gazpacho) to eat for a total of 430 total for the day (I wanted to allow a bit extra in case I undermeasured my cucumber ;p). Fingers crossed for some progress in a week!!

Iwant2Bincontrol – very well done on your first day! I’m sure you’ll have a lot of success if you stick with the plan. Yes, I do exercise. I run x3/week about 3.5 miles/run. I may attempt 4 miles to create that Oreo deficit tomorrow.

HardJudge – losing and gaining, I’m very familiar with that feeling! The calories in alcohol, tell me about it! I’m trying hard to cut back and to be honest, that’s happened naturally as I’ve reached my 40s. Still need to shave some more booze calories off though. I definitely manage my diet better if I haven’t been drinking the night before.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply.